Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our son and DIL plan to come here for Christmas, driving rather than flying. I'm thrilled that they are coming, and I''m also wondering if we should all take a home Covid test before they arrive. They are fully vaxxed and boosted, as are we. None of us have had Covid so far!

Be very cautious @anneg. Home covid tests are sometimes negative for a few days before being positive (not sure if this is with no symptoms). Covid just ran through an extended family I know who were all vaxxed and boosted and hadn’t had covid before. The family patriarch (over 80) got it and thought it was allergies. His wife got it. Their kids all take turns caring for them regularly and seven of them got it (this includes a SIL, a DIL and a granddaughter). If your son and DIL eat in restaurants en route that’s a risk too. Not meaning to spoil your fun! Just be careful and know that there are no guarantees, but if you do get it you probably won’t be as sick because you are vaxxed and boosted.

Be very cautious @anneg. Home covid tests are sometimes negative for a few days before being positive (not sure if this is with no symptoms). Covid just ran through an extended family I know who were all vaxxed and boosted and hadn’t had covid before. The family patriarch (over 80) got it and thought it was allergies. His wife got it. Their kids all take turns caring for them regularly and seven of them got it (this includes a SIL, a DIL and a granddaughter). If your son and DIL eat in restaurants en route that’s a risk too. Not meaning to spoil your fun! Just be careful and know that there are no guarantees, but if you do get it you probably won’t be as sick because you are vaxxed and boosted.
I don't trust home tests

I don't trust home tests
We use the rapid tests at work, if you have Covid with obvious symptoms - it’s accurate. If you don’t have symptoms-not worth wasting a qtip.
Test negative on a rapid at 8am with no symptoms except a slight headache or runny nose and test positive at 5pm with heightened symptoms.
JMO

I always mask when I'm in a medical office. I usually call the front desk to notify them that I'm in my car waiting. All my medical providers have a portal where I can update my medical info.

I still mask in medical settings as well. I mask anytime I go out, actually.

Thanks for your reply! That's interesting about the family getting Covid. I'm hoping we all will be healthy and will stay that way. I know a number of people who've had Covid and they all have reported having mild symptoms, like a cold.

Thanks for your reply! That's interesting about the family getting Covid. I'm hoping we all will be healthy and will stay that way. I know a number of people who've had Covid and they all have reported having mild symptoms, like a cold.

I was talking this evening to the oldest son and DIL in the family I described earlier. He said they (in their late 50’s) got much sicker than his parents in their early 80’s. They were sort of joking that the parents had probably encountered more bugs in their lifetimes and built up some immunity. Who knows? But the “kids” were flattened by covid, even being vaxxed and boosted. Go figure. Honestly, it’s all kind of a crapshoot trying to “game” this virus. Just enjoy your family and take reasonable precautions. It will either get you or it won’t LOL! :)
JMO

I was talking this evening to the oldest son and DIL in the family I described earlier. He said they (in their late 50’s) got much sicker than his parents in their early 80’s. They were sort of joking that the parents had probably encountered more bugs in their lifetimes and built up some immunity. Who knows? But the “kids” were flattened by covid, even being vaxxed and boosted. Go figure. Honestly, it’s all kind of a crapshoot trying to “game” this virus. Just enjoy your family and take reasonable precautions. It will either get you or it won’t LOL! :)
JMO
True! The last time they were supposed to come here for Christmas, I got very sick with flu (despite having had a flu shot) and told them not to come, and as it turned out my son got sick with a bad virus too. Sure hope that doesn't happen this time!

I am glad to be a "Covid virgin" and have enjoyed having no viral illnesses since 2019.

I wonder what the percentage split is for those getting covid now who have had it before vs those who are “covid virgins” as @anneg put it. Among my friends who are now getting covid, no one has had it before (all are fully vaxxed and boosted). I can’t think of anyone I know except my BIL who has had it twice and his second case was before the vax was available around the time I had it. It would just be interesting to know if new cases are hitting more people who haven’t had covid yet. If so, vax status being equal, it might mean that a previous case adds a bit to immunity.

I wonder what the percentage split is for those getting covid now who have had it before vs those who are “covid virgins” as @anneg put it. Among my friends who are now getting covid, no one has had it before (all are fully vaxxed and boosted). I can’t think of anyone I know except my BIL who has had it twice and his second case was before the vax was available around the time I had it. It would just be interesting to know if new cases are hitting more people who haven’t had covid yet. If so, vax status being equal, it might mean that a previous case adds a bit to immunity.
I’ve had it twice. Second time was July this year and I’m fully vaxxed and boosted. I think it was the BA.5 variant back then (if I’ve remembered that correctly).I had a sore throat, slight fever, fatigue. My test result was so strong, we laughed about it later - it was like a raging black line. Was over it in a few days. Mr HKP suffered more because the respiratory symptoms triggered his asthma. Sadly, it didn’t “re-set” my long Covid as Mr HKP hoped it might! :p

My parents (mid 70s) had it for the first time in July this year (not from me! They caught it on a holiday to the coast, having decided they didn’t want to stay home any more). They had what we would call a”heavy cold”. They have just had another booster, so I’m hoping being up to date with all their jabs plus the natural immunity will stand them in good stead.

With this in mind - they have overcome some of their fear and are doing more. In fact, they’re coming over to meet me at my local pub tomorrow for drinks and Sunday lunch - first time since pre Covid.

True! The last time they were supposed to come here for Christmas, I got very sick with flu (despite having had a flu shot) and told them not to come, and as it turned out my son got sick with a bad virus too. Sure hope that doesn't happen this time!

I am glad to be a "Covid virgin" and have enjoyed having no viral illnesses since 2019.
I hope you have a magical time Anneg. We have no idea how long this thing will stick around for, so I think it’s about doing what we’re comfortable with at this point.

Study shows that new boosters may not be better than the old ones--- based on human studies

From the link:

DAVID HO: To disappointment, the bivalent vaccine did not show superiority over the original vaccine.

STEIN: About a month after getting the shots, the new boosters did not stimulate significantly higher levels of antibodies that could neutralize the omicron subvariants infecting most people right now.

SUMMERS: OK. So Rob, does this mean people should not bother getting these new boosters?

STEIN: No, no. No, not at all. First of all, some researchers say the jury is still out about how effective the new boosters are. Deepta Bhattacharya at the University of Arizona says the new studies were too small and too short to reach any firm conclusions.

DEEPTA BHATTACHARYA: For those who are saying, see, see, I told you so, I would say, let's stand down a little bit and wait for some cleaner data to come out because these studies can't be used to support, really, one argument or another.

STEIN: Even if the new boosters aren't any better than the original vaccine, they still look like they're at least just as good at helping restore some of the immunity that has faded since people got their last shots or infections, and that could be lifesaving, especially for those who are most vulnerable, like the elderly. And, you know, there's still the possibility that bigger, longer studies could show the new boosters are superior - that they could provide maybe longer-lasting immunity or even possibly help people fight off new variants that might emerge. But Dr. John Wherry at the University of Pennsylvania says people have to be realistic about just how much better they might be.

JOHN WHERRY: It's a little bit of a - sort of a reality check or a reset that the bivalent vaccines are not a magic bullet. They're not going to give us, you know, perfect protection from these new omicron variants that are circulating.

STEIN: So people can't let down their guard just because they've gotten one of these new boosters.

From the link:

DAVID HO: To disappointment, the bivalent vaccine did not show superiority over the original vaccine.

STEIN: About a month after getting the shots, the new boosters did not stimulate significantly higher levels of antibodies that could neutralize the omicron subvariants infecting most people right now.

SUMMERS: OK. So Rob, does this mean people should not bother getting these new boosters?

STEIN: No, no. No, not at all. First of all, some researchers say the jury is still out about how effective the new boosters are. Deepta Bhattacharya at the University of Arizona says the new studies were too small and too short to reach any firm conclusions.

DEEPTA BHATTACHARYA: For those who are saying, see, see, I told you so, I would say, let's stand down a little bit and wait for some cleaner data to come out because these studies can't be used to support, really, one argument or another.

STEIN: Even if the new boosters aren't any better than the original vaccine, they still look like they're at least just as good at helping restore some of the immunity that has faded since people got their last shots or infections, and that could be lifesaving, especially for those who are most vulnerable, like the elderly. And, you know, there's still the possibility that bigger, longer studies could show the new boosters are superior - that they could provide maybe longer-lasting immunity or even possibly help people fight off new variants that might emerge. But Dr. John Wherry at the University of Pennsylvania says people have to be realistic about just how much better they might be.

JOHN WHERRY: It's a little bit of a - sort of a reality check or a reset that the bivalent vaccines are not a magic bullet. They're not going to give us, you know, perfect protection from these new omicron variants that are circulating.

STEIN: So people can't let down their guard just because they've gotten one of these new boosters.

Thanks for highlighting those significant comments about this Bivalent vaccine. Whether it is a better vaccine or not, people should get their boosters but many many people are not doing so-

“The vaccine, a mist that is sucked in through the mouth, is being offered for free as a booster dose for previously vaccinated people…”

“Scientists hope that such "needle-free" vaccines will make vaccination more accessible in countries with fragile health systems because they are easier to administer. They also may persuade people who don't like getting a shot in the arm to get inoculated.”

China debuts oral, aeriosolize COVID vaccine

I don’t recognize the above source
Here is another source about the same subject but is behind a paywall if you’ve used up all your free articles:
Afraid of needles? China using inhalable COVID-19 vaccine - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...9cea50-5501-11ed-ac8b-08bbfab1c5a5_story.html

Last edited:
“The vaccine, a mist that is sucked in through the mouth, is being offered for free as a booster dose for previously vaccinated people…”

“Scientists hope that such "needle-free" vaccines will make vaccination more accessible in countries with fragile health systems because they are easier to administer. They also may persuade people who don't like getting a shot in the arm to get inoculated.”

Here is another source about the same subject but is behind a paywall if you’ve used up all your free articles:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...9cea50-5501-11ed-ac8b-08bbfab1c5a5_story.html

I don't think I want to inhale anything from China....

Here's a link with no paywall -

The inhalable vaccine was developed by Chinese biopharmaceutical company CanSino Biologics Inc. as an aerosol version of the company's one-shot adenovirus vaccine, which uses a relatively harmless cold virus.

<snipped>

The traditional one-shot vaccine has been approved for use in more than 10 markets including China, Hungary, Pakistan, Malaysia, Argentina and Mexico. The inhaled version has received a go-ahead for clinical trials in Malaysia, a Malaysian media report said last month.

Regulators in India have approved a nasal vaccine, another needle-free approach, but it has yet to be rolled out. The vaccine, developed in the U.S. and licensed to Indian vaccine maker Bharat Biotech, is squirted in the nose.

About a dozen nasal vaccines are being tested globally, according to the World Health Organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025