Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the mRNA vaccine is safe, like the smallpox vaccine that prevented the entire population from getting sick, why wasn't it rolled out before a pandemic?

I would hazard a guess that since the Coronavirus was a novel virus, completely unknown to humankind, scientists and doctors were not working on a Covid vaccine BEFORE the pandemic.

As opposed to smallpox, which was an extremely well-known disease that swept through for centuries and destroyed endless lives. Therefore, when knowledge and technology advanced enough, a vaccine was formulated to combat a very frightening but familiar pandemic disease.

I have that big round scar on my upper arm from a smallpox vaccine, but I received it when I was too young to remember getting it. I do remember, as a young child, drinking some pink liquid that was the Sabin polio vaccine.

I've had the five shots that are available to my age group in America, and personally I will take every vaccine offered.

Jmo

The latest update about protection from covid is a combination of having had the illness plus vaccines. People who have been sick with covid have longer immunity between vaccines.

"The global surge in the omicron (B.1.1.529) variant has resulted in many individuals with hybrid immunity (immunity developed through a combination of SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination). We aimed to systematically review the magnitude and duration of the protective effectiveness of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and hybrid immunity against infection and severe disease caused by the omicron variant.

Individuals with hybrid immunity had the highest magnitude and durability of protection, and as a result might be able to extend the period before booster vaccinations are needed compared to individuals who have never been infected."

A little while back I mentioned that my brother was being treated with nutritional supplements for his long covid and seems to be improving. Another poster asked what they were. I am sorry for the delay in responding but here is what he provided:
  • multivitamin and multiminerals
  • Flavonoid antioxidant
  • vitamin D
  • coquinone 100 (which I believe is CoQ10)
  • Zinc with C

A little while back I mentioned that my brother was being treated with nutritional supplements for his long covid and seems to be improving. Another poster asked what they were. I am sorry for the delay in responding but here is what he provided:
  • multivitamin and multiminerals
  • Flavonoid antioxidant
  • vitamin D
  • coquinone 100 (which I believe is CoQ10)
  • Zinc with C
I was the one who asked. Thanks for the information! I don't have Long Covid (AFAIK), but did have Covid recently. I normally take a multivitamin with minerals, vitamin D3, and recently added vitamin K2 for my bones. I haven't taken the other supplements you listed.

Here's a nice article about flavonoids:

Six main classes of flavonoids are discussed and sources listed. The article recommends adding more fruits and vegetables to one's diet and mentions that chocolate and black tea are rich sources of one type of flavonoid called flavanol. I eat some chocolate (mostly dark chocolate) daily! :D

Food and Drug Administration advisers will meet Thursday to discuss simplifying the Covid vaccination schedule, allowing most people to get the currently available booster, regardless of how many doses they had received before that.

The agency's proposal was outlined in briefing documents posted online Monday.

Currently, everyone ages 6 months and older are required to complete a primary vaccination series — at least two doses of either the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Novavax vaccines or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine— before they can get a booster dose two months later.

The FDA is proposing skipping over that primary series, meaning that most unvaccinated individuals could go ahead and get the latest booster shot if they decided to get a Covid vaccine...

Food and Drug Administration advisers will meet Thursday to discuss simplifying the Covid vaccination schedule, allowing most people to get the currently available booster, regardless of how many doses they had received before that.

The agency's proposal was outlined in briefing documents posted online Monday.

Currently, everyone ages 6 months and older are required to complete a primary vaccination series — at least two doses of either the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Novavax vaccines or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine— before they can get a booster dose two months later.

The FDA is proposing skipping over that primary series, meaning that most unvaccinated individuals could go ahead and get the latest booster shot if they decided to get a Covid vaccine...
This makes a lot of sense, IMO.

I was the one who asked. Thanks for the information! I don't have Long Covid (AFAIK), but did have Covid recently. I normally take a multivitamin with minerals, vitamin D3, and recently added vitamin K2 for my bones. I haven't taken the other supplements you listed.

Here's a nice article about flavonoids:

Six main classes of flavonoids are discussed and sources listed. The article recommends adding more fruits and vegetables to one's diet and mentions that chocolate and black tea are rich sources of one type of flavonoid called flavanol. I eat some chocolate (mostly dark chocolate) daily! :D
Thank you @anneg. I thought it might've been you but couldn't track the older "quoted by" notifications.

I love any excuse to eat more dark chocolate and raspberries - pure heaven.

I've never tried coQ10 - I thought that was interesting.

I also don't suffer from long covid (haven't had covid), but my thoughts are with those who have. I hope each has the support that they need.

I'm sorry. How are the symptoms so far? Are you taking Paxlovid? I hope you will get back to normal soon!
Friday night and Saturday I felt “off” - that kind of overall icky feeling before you get sick - throat felt just slightly funny, mild headache and a little tired. Tested neg

Sunday I was mildly weak feeling here and there w/the weird throat feeling again with Mild stuffiness. My ears felt stuffy too, kind of weird. Couple of Random coughs that got more frequent in the evening. Had planned to test Monday am before work but the coughs convinced me this was probably the real deal. Tested positive.

Monday -Ive been stuffy enough to be annoying. Like a moderate cold. More frequent coughs and sneezes, but not constant.

So far, no fever or body aches. Or any sort of respiratory issues.*knock wood*

I’ve been eating normally, appetite is a little decreased - but that may be from anxiety more than anything. No loss of taste or smell thus far. No GI symptoms thankfully.

I’m trying to stay positive and optimistic-though it’s early yet- we’ll see what the next 24–48 hours bring. Hopefully nothing :)

Eta- I have paxlovid in the mail, should be here tomorrow, but I’m currently undecided on whether I’ll use it or not.

Last edited:
That's my understanding of the quote : children should receive two doses of the original covid vaccine, and a third dose with the bivalent. Did smallpox or measles vaccines have more than one shot?

Adults have to decide for themselves. I had the first vaccine and two boosters. Now the bivalent vaccine? I want to research the reason that bivalent mRNA vaccines were not used earlier - if only to eradicate the common cold, ebola and viral hemorrhagic fever. If the mRNA vaccine is safe, like the smallpox vaccine that prevented the entire population from getting sick, why wasn't it rolled out before a pandemic?
FFYI: VAERS Covid vaccine report.

FFYI: VAERS Covid vaccine report.

VAERS CDC Disclaimer​

Source: VAERS.HHS.GOV

VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to the system. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

VAERS CDC Disclaimer​

Source: VAERS.HHS.GOV

VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to the system. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.
Yet is a valuable resource that’s been used since 1990, and is co-managed by the CDC.

VAERS is not designed to determine if a vaccine caused a health problem, but is especially useful for detecting unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse event reporting that might indicate a possible safety problem with a vaccine. This way, VAERS can provide CDC and FDA with valuable information that additional work and evaluation is necessary to further assess a possible safety concern.

Why is there such an increase in childhood deaths in Europe in the past year? Is it a combination of other viruses with covid? Other new invasive viruses?

View attachment 397857

Because (IMO) covid damages the immune system so that it can't fight off other illnesses.

Only one round of covid will do this, IMO, but each subsequent round makes it worse.

MOO

@BetteDavisEyes - I saw on another thread - you are headed out for your cruise tomorrow!! ENJOY!!! Stay safe! :)
Thank you. Tomorrow is my birthday, and we fly to Fort Lauderdale for a 10-night cruise on Saturday. We will wear masks on our flights and in crowded areas of the ship. I've packed masks, surgical gloves, hand sanitizer, and Clorox wipes. We will do our best to avoid passengers who are coughing, sneezing, runny noses, etc. We're not planning shore excursions in crowded vehicles. We've visited the ports previously and will likely not disembark on some islands. I have not seen any reports about Covid on the Enchanted Princess; hopefully, the ship will be safe from the virus. Bon Voyage!

Thank you. Tomorrow is my birthday, and we fly to Fort Lauderdale for a 10-night cruise on Saturday. We will wear masks on our flights and in crowded areas of the ship. I've packed masks, surgical gloves, hand sanitizer, and Clorox wipes. We will do our best to avoid passengers who are coughing, sneezing, runny noses, etc. We're not planning shore excursions in crowded vehicles. We've visited the ports previously and will likely not disembark on some islands. I have not seen any reports about Covid on the Enchanted Princess; hopefully, the ship will be safe from the virus. Bon Voyage!
Happy Birthday! I hope you will enjoy your cruise and remain Covid-free! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member