Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe for people who don't have this kind of biosafety lab 3 or 4 experience on coronavirus, maybe it's easy for them to accept the accident lab leak. However, I'm a scientist, working in [a] research lab using coronavirus. And I can tell you, based on the print protocol and also the other surveillance system, it would be impossible for the lab leak [to] accidentally happen in such [a] lab and cause the Wuhan outbreak and also the pandemic," Yan said.
Yan was a respected doctor who specialized in virology and immunology at the Hong Kong School of Public Health before fleeing in April 2020 after she began looking into the growing number of cases coming out of mainland China that involved human-to-human transmission.

She said she reported her findings to her supervisor on Jan. 16, but that's when he allegedly told her "to keep silent, and be careful."

"As he warned me before, 'Don't touch the red line,'" Yan said referring to the government. "We will get in trouble, and we'll be disappeared."

Yikes, I'm glad she got out of there. Interesting reading her story after the FBI called it an "incident" and not an "accident"

Not sure what NACI is compared to the CDC but the CDC is not currently recommending a 2nd bivalent booster (my 6 mo anniv will be in 10 days, so soon). With that said, I have contacted the CDC specifically asking them about that and included the NACI article as the source for my inquiry.

CDC site:

If you have received your updated booster dose, you are currently up to date. There is not a recommendation to get another updated booster dose.

Source (you have to click on the Updated Booster link in order to see what I've posted above (there's more): COVID-19 Vaccination

I have also asked the CDC why (bolded & underlined only): those age 65-79 (particularly those who’ve never had COVID), people living in long-term care homes or other congregate living situations, and people aged 18 and older who are immunocompromised are encouraged to book a vaccine appointment.

I'm curious why those in that age range who have never had CV appear to be more at risk than those that have had it in the past.

I will post the CDC's response to my 2 Q's if I get one. :)

If an individual in the 65+ age group has not had Covid-19 then they don't have natural immunity and if their vaccination against Covid-19 is waning due to time since vaccinated/boosted, then they are more at risk than someone who has already had Covid-19 and has both natural and vaccine immunity. That's how I read the recommendations by NACI in the earlier posts.

I've seen nothing to suggest that post-COVID immunity is any stronger or lasts significantly longer than post-vaccine immunity. AFAIK both wane after a few months for most people. And as we are learning, post-COVID does entail some significant risk for damaged immune systems and for other illnesses taking advantage of that damage. MOO of course.

I'll be most interested to read what @Gemmie hears back from the CDC.

I've seen nothing to suggest that post-COVID immunity is any stronger or lasts significantly longer than post-vaccine immunity. AFAIK both wane after a few months for most people. And as we are learning, post-COVID does entail some significant risk for damaged immune systems and for other illnesses taking advantage of that damage. MOO of course.

The research, published Thursday in the journal Lancet, reviewed 65 studies on natural immunity to find that the average effectiveness was at least 88% against hospitalization and death for all coronavirus variants 10 months after infection. The research did not include omicron subvariant XBB.1.5, which is dominant in the U.S.

ETA link to article in US News & World Report that summarizes the above research on natural immunity, published in February 2023.

I hope they respond. The last (and only other) time I contacted them I had an answer within a few hours. I was amazed! Granted, it was a more important Q than this one, so we'll see.

It also could be because 6 mo ago the pandemic was in a different stage than it is now (things are loosening up). Maybe they had more employees to respond 6 mo ago. Either way, I'll definitely post any response I get. :) Hopefully I'll get one.

I hope they respond. The last (and only other) time I contacted them I had an answer within a few hours. I was amazed! Granted, it was a more important Q than this one, so we'll see.

It also could be because 6 mo ago the pandemic was in a different stage than it is now (things are loosening up). Maybe they had more employees to respond 6 mo ago. Either way, I'll definitely post any response I get. :) Hopefully I'll get one.

I recently asked my PCP if getting a second booster is possible. He said “It’s not recommended at this time” with emphasis on “at this time.” I got the sense he was adding silently “but it should be.” I’ll be very interested in what the CDC says in answer to your question. I have a feeling you’re not the only one who has asked them!

I recently asked my PCP if getting a second booster is possible. He said “It’s not recommended at this time” with emphasis on “at this time.” I got the sense he was adding silently “but it should be.” I’ll be very interested in what the CDC says in answer to your question. I have a feeling you’re not the only one who has asked them!
I think you're right about me probably not being the only one that asked them that Q. The bivalent vaccine was first available on 9/2 in some areas, and for some people, so there's a lot of people out there that recently hit their 6 mo anniversary.

Even if it's too soon for them to be ready to answer my 1st Q (can I get a 2nd bivalent on my 6 mo anniv) I'd like an answer to my 2nd Q. Why those age 65-79 (particularly those who’ve never had COVID) are encouraged to book a vaccine appointment (per NACI). I just find it odd they'd call out those individuals in that age group simply because they've never had Covid. What's up with that? Is it riskier for us? If so, why? I did a quick Goog and it wasn't being cooperative so I didn't find anything that answered my Q. Hence me contacting the CDC.

Since I am as vaccinated as possible and had Covid at the end of December, I am quite interested in research about hybrid immunity--immunity through a combination of vaccination and infection.

There's a recent study article in Nature, "How Quickly Does Covid Immunity Fade?" that discusses hybrid immunity--but I can't access it. If anyone here can, perhaps you could share the abstract or conclusions from the article.

Another article about hybrid immunity (full article in The Lancet):

Excerpt:
A review and meta-regression of 26 studies shows that hybrid SARS-CoV-2 immunity provides the highest level of protection against the Omicron variant, researchers reported yesterday in The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

The authors say the finding of the study, the first to estimate the durability of protection conferred by hybrid immunity—the antibody response developed through a combination of SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination—could provide guidance on vaccine timing at both the individual and public health level.

Hybrid immunity highly protective against severe outcomes​

Of the 26 studies reviewed by a team led by researchers from the University of Toronto and the World Health Organization, 11 reported on the protective effectiveness of previous infection, and 15 reported on protection from hybrid immunity; 7 reported on both. The studies looked at protection against reinfection, hospitalization, and severe disease caused by Omicron.

The effectiveness of previous infection against hospital admission or severe disease at 12 months was 74.6% (95% confidence interval [CI], 63.1% to 85.3%], with effectiveness against reinfection waning to 24.7% (95% CI, 16.4% to 35.5%) at 12 months. For hybrid immunity, protection against hospital admission or severe disease was 97.4% (95% CI, 91.4% to 99.2%) at 12 months with primary series vaccination and 95.3% (95% CI, 81.9% to 98.9%) at 6 months with the first booster shot. The effectiveness of hybrid immunity against reinfection waned to 41.8% (95% CI, 31.5% to 52.8%) at 12 months, and to 46.5% (95% CI, 36.0% to 57.3%) following the first booster shot at 6 months.

Further analysis of the 7 studies that reported on both types of protection showed that hybrid immunity conferred a significant gain in protection compared with previous infection alone—whether subjects with hybrid immunity had received the partial primary vaccine series, the full vaccine series, or the first booster shot.

The authors say the findings indicate that the protection conferred by previous infection should not detract from the need for vaccination, because infection-induced immunity wanes rapidly and vaccines increase the durability of protection. In addition, they suggest the results can be used to tailor guidance on the number and timing of SARS-CoV-2 vaccinations....

Since I am as vaccinated as possible and had Covid at the end of December, I am quite interested in research about hybrid immunity--immunity through a combination of vaccination and infection.

There's a recent study article in Nature, "How Quickly Does Covid Immunity Fade?" that discusses hybrid immunity--but I can't access it. If anyone here can, perhaps you could share the abstract or conclusions from the article.
Snipped for focus.

That article is behind a paywall so it's against this site's TOS for subscribers to post what's in the article here.

With that said, sometimes you can find info you're looking for by searching for some contents you are able to view before the paywall cuts you off. Lots of times I find similar enough articles that gives me the info I'm seeking, without it being the actual subscriber only article. :)

Snipped for focus.

That article is behind a paywall so it's against this site's TOS for subscribers to post what's in the article here.

With that said, sometimes you can find info you're looking for by searching for some contents you are able to view before the paywall cuts you off. Lots of times I find similar enough articles that gives me the info I'm seeking, without it being the actual subscriber only article. :)
You're right, I forgot. I did try to find another source without success. I used to be able to access Nature, I think, but not now.

Well, we can go to the Lancet article--I can access it. (Red font below by me)

Summary
Background
The global surge in the omicron (B.1.1.529) variant has resulted in many individuals with hybrid immunity (immunity developed through a combination of SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination). We aimed to systematically review the magnitude and duration of the protective effectiveness of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and hybrid immunity against infection and severe disease caused by the omicron variant....

Findings 11 studies reporting the protective effectiveness of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and 15 studies reporting the protective effectiveness of hybrid immunity were included. For previous infection, there were 97 estimates (27 with a moderate risk of bias and 70 with a serious risk of bias). The effectiveness of previous infection against hospital admission or severe disease was 74·6% (95% CI 63·1–83·5) at 12 months. The effectiveness of previous infection against reinfection waned to 24·7% (95% CI 16·4–35·5) at 12 months. For hybrid immunity, there were 153 estimates (78 with a moderate risk of bias and 75 with a serious risk of bias). The effectiveness of hybrid immunity against hospital admission or severe disease was 97·4% (95% CI 91·4–99·2) at 12 months with primary series vaccination and 95·3% (81·9–98·9) at 6 months with the first booster vaccination after the most recent infection or vaccination. Against reinfection, the effectiveness of hybrid immunity following primary series vaccination waned to 41·8% (95% CI 31·5–52·8) at 12 months, while the effectiveness of hybrid immunity following first booster vaccination waned to 46·5% (36·0–57·3) at 6 months.

Interpretation All estimates of protection waned within months against reinfection but remained high and sustained for hospital admission or severe disease. Individuals with hybrid immunity had the highest magnitude and durability of protection, and as a result might be able to extend the period before booster vaccinations are needed compared to individuals who have never been infected.

ETA: I find this quite encouraging!

You're right, I forgot. I did try to find another source without success. I used to be able to access Nature, I think, but not now.

Well, we can go to the Lancet article--I can access it. (Red font below by me)

Summary
Background
The global surge in the omicron (B.1.1.529) variant has resulted in many individuals with hybrid immunity (immunity developed through a combination of SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination). We aimed to systematically review the magnitude and duration of the protective effectiveness of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and hybrid immunity against infection and severe disease caused by the omicron variant....

Findings 11 studies reporting the protective effectiveness of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and 15 studies reporting the protective effectiveness of hybrid immunity were included. For previous infection, there were 97 estimates (27 with a moderate risk of bias and 70 with a serious risk of bias). The effectiveness of previous infection against hospital admission or severe disease was 74·6% (95% CI 63·1–83·5) at 12 months. The effectiveness of previous infection against reinfection waned to 24·7% (95% CI 16·4–35·5) at 12 months. For hybrid immunity, there were 153 estimates (78 with a moderate risk of bias and 75 with a serious risk of bias). The effectiveness of hybrid immunity against hospital admission or severe disease was 97·4% (95% CI 91·4–99·2) at 12 months with primary series vaccination and 95·3% (81·9–98·9) at 6 months with the first booster vaccination after the most recent infection or vaccination. Against reinfection, the effectiveness of hybrid immunity following primary series vaccination waned to 41·8% (95% CI 31·5–52·8) at 12 months, while the effectiveness of hybrid immunity following first booster vaccination waned to 46·5% (36·0–57·3) at 6 months.

Interpretation All estimates of protection waned within months against reinfection but remained high and sustained for hospital admission or severe disease. Individuals with hybrid immunity had the highest magnitude and durability of protection, and as a result might be able to extend the period before booster vaccinations are needed compared to individuals who have never been infected.

ETA: I find this quite encouraging!
I agree, it is quite encouraging. But I did want to point out one thing (let's call it MOO) that while this may be true for Omicron, it might not be true if we end up with another non-Omicron variant in the future (and likely will). It's MO that it would be wise not to assume hybrid immunity will be the same down the road like it is for Omicron. It may be, but then again, it might not be. I wouldn't want anyone to assume this will still be true, if/when we get another variant, and let their guard down and end up infected. :)

Previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and hybrid immunity both provided greater and more sustained protection against the omicron variant than vaccination alone. Individuals with hybrid immunity had the highest magnitude and durability of protection against all outcomes...<snip>

I agree, it is quite encouraging. But I did want to point out one thing (let's call it MOO) that while this may be true for Omicron, it might not be true if we end up with another non-Omicron variant in the future (and likely will). It's MO that it would be wise not to assume hybrid immunity will be the same down the road like it is for Omicron. It may be, but then again, it might not be. I wouldn't want anyone to assume this will still be true, if/when we get another variant, and let their guard down and end up infected. :)

Previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and hybrid immunity both provided greater and more sustained protection against the omicron variant than vaccination alone. Individuals with hybrid immunity had the highest magnitude and durability of protection against all outcomes...<snip>

Good point, Gemmie! I hope we can develop new vaccines for new Covid-19 variants.

The stuff of nightmares…

Warmer temperatures in the Arctic are thawing the region’s permafrost — a frozen layer of soil beneath the ground — and potentially stirring viruses that, after lying dormant for tens of thousands of years, could endanger animal and human health.

While a pandemic unleashed by a disease from the distant past sounds like the plot of a sci-fi movie, scientists warn that the risks, though low, are underappreciated. Chemical and radioactive waste that dates back to the Cold War, which has the potential to harm wildlife and disrupt ecosystems, may also be released during thaws.

“There’s a lot going on with the permafrost that is of concern, and (it) really shows why it’s super important that we keep as much of the permafrost frozen as possible,” said Kimberley Miner, a climate scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California.

In June 2021, 32-year-old Alyssa Maness was diagnosed with POTS, a nervous system disorder that her doctors believe was triggered by Covid.

POTS, or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, caused numbness throughout her arms and legs, a pins-and-needles sensation and sudden drops in her heart rate.

Because her heart problems didn't go away, in early 2022 her doctors began conducting a series of lab tests in an attempt to better understand her long Covid symptoms...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway