Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday approved an additional round of bivalent booster shots fornext adults who are 65 and over as well as people with compromised immune systems. The effort is to ensure ongoing protection against Covid, which is still claiming more than 1,300 lives each week.

The bivalent shots target Omicron variants of the coronavirus. The agency said people who are 65 and older who have not had a bivalent booster shot in at least four months may get another one. For those who are immunocompromised, additional doses of the bivalent vaccine can be given two months after the last shot. Those who are unvaccinated can get a single dose of the bivalent booster, the agency said.

“Covid-19 continues to be a very real risk for many people,” Dr. Peter Marks, the F.D.A. vaccine chief, said. “The available data continue to demonstrate that vaccines prevent the most serious outcomes of Covid-19, which are severe illness, hospitalization and death.”...

So here we go again with another round of trying to decide when to get the next booster shot, realizing that it seems to be effective for about four months. My initial thoughts are that I might wait until the fall when people head indoors again and Covid spreads more easily. During the summer, most of my contact with people is outdoors, so it may be a good idea to wait until the fall when I have to be indoors with people more often, and also when things spread more due to indoor ventilation, etc. Will think some more about it, but that is where I am leaning right now. Otherwise, by September the booster will have reduced efficacy, and that's probably when Covid will be more prevalent. Initial thoughts.

So here we go again with another round of trying to decide when to get the next booster shot, realizing that it seems to be effective for about four months. My initial thoughts are that I might wait until the fall when people head indoors again and Covid spreads more easily. During the summer, most of my contact with people is outdoors, so it may be a good idea to wait until the fall when I have to be indoors with people more often, and also when things spread more due to indoor ventilation, etc. Will think some more about it, but that is where I am leaning right now. Otherwise, by September the booster will have reduced efficacy, and that's probably when Covid will be more prevalent. Initial thoughts.
I agree with not only the question but your probable plan.

It's also possible that public health departments can (unofficially, of course) do a little contortion to give shots to whoever wants them. Especially in an area where not so many people are getting them, so that there isn't a supply issue with the vaccine.

In my area, when the very first vaccines came out, and they were supposed to be for those of advanced age or with compromised immune systems only, the local public health dept. was encouraging any adult who wanted a vaccine to think hard about ANY medical condition they had which might affect their immune system. They didn't need proof or even details, it was all self-identified. Most of us can think of something.

For example, I have bradycardia, which means a lower-than-normal heart rate. When I first discovered I had it, I saw a cardiologist who reassured me that unless I had unpleasant symptoms such as dizziness, it was not a problem. (in fact, elite athletes often have a low heart rate, but since I'm not an athlete I didn't know if I should worry or not).

Anyway, if I wanted the vaccine before my age group was officially offered it, all I had to do was say "I have a heart condition."

I have a few years before I'll be 65, but I suspect if I went to public health every six months and asked for another booster, they would be happy to offer it. MOO and my guess only.

Last edited:
Thousands of people say they've developed tinnitus after they were vaccinated against Covid. While there is no proof yet that the vaccines caused the condition, theories for a possible link have surfaced among researchers.

Shaowen Bao, an associate professor in the physiology department of the College of Medicine at the University of Arizona, Tucson, believes that ongoing inflammation, especially in the brain or spinal cord, may be to blame.

Bao, a longtime tinnitus sufferer and a representative of the American Tinnitus Association's scientific advisory board, has studied tinniuts for more than a decade.

A Facebook group of people who developed tinnitus after getting a Covid vaccine convinced Bao to look into the possible link. He ultimately surveyed 398 of the group's participants.

The cases tended to be severe. One man told Bao that he couldn’t hear the car radio over the noise in his head while driving...

Thousands of people say they've developed tinnitus after they were vaccinated against Covid. While there is no proof yet that the vaccines caused the condition, theories for a possible link have surfaced among researchers.

Shaowen Bao, an associate professor in the physiology department of the College of Medicine at the University of Arizona, Tucson, believes that ongoing inflammation, especially in the brain or spinal cord, may be to blame.

Bao, a longtime tinnitus sufferer and a representative of the American Tinnitus Association's scientific advisory board, has studied tinniuts for more than a decade.

A Facebook group of people who developed tinnitus after getting a Covid vaccine convinced Bao to look into the possible link. He ultimately surveyed 398 of the group's participants.

The cases tended to be severe. One man told Bao that he couldn’t hear the car radio over the noise in his head while driving...
I have had tinnitus for many years but it's not severe, thank goodness. None of my five Covid vaccines (so far) have made it worse, nor did having Covid in late 2022.

Bolding and underlining in last section by me. While they've been approving them every 6 mo, and only 4 mo after your last monovalent booster when the bivalent one came out, it's not guaranteed they will be approved every 6 mo (or lesser if another updated vaccine comes out due to new variations) as they said "potential updates this fall".

The media statement below says they are simplifying things, but I'd love to see them simplify things for us so that we can time when we want to get our boosters. It would sure make it easier on folks if we knew it would always be every 6 mo, or sooner if an updated vaccine comes out. It's hard to plan otherwise as I, @Sundog, and others are trying to do.

Media Statement
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, April 19, 2023
(404) 639-3286

Following FDA regulatory action, CDC has taken steps to simplify COVID-19 vaccine recommendations and allow more flexibility for people at higher risk who want the option of added protection from additional COVID-19 vaccine doses.

CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) met today to discuss these COVID-19 vaccine recommendation changes, and the associated implications and implementation. Although there was no vote at this meeting, ACIP members expressed their support for these recommendations.
These changes include:
  • CDC’s new recommendations allow an additional updated (bivalent) vaccine dose for adults ages 65 years and older and additional doses for people who are immunocompromised. This allows more flexibility for healthcare providers to administer additional doses to immunocompromised patients as needed.
  • Monovalent (original) mRNA COVID-19 vaccines will no longer be recommended for use in the United States.
  • CDC recommends that everyone ages 6 years and older receive an updated (bivalent) mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, regardless of whether they previously completed their (monovalent) primary series.
  • Individuals ages 6 years and older who have already received an updated mRNA vaccine do not need to take any action unless they are 65 years or older or immunocompromised.
  • For young children, multiple doses continue to be recommended and will vary by age, vaccine, and which vaccines were previously received.
Alternatives to mRNA COVID-19 vaccines remain available for people who cannot or will not receive an mRNA vaccine. CDC’s recommendations for use of (monovalent) Novavax or Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccines were not affected by the changes made today.

CDC and ACIP will continue to monitor COVID-19 disease levels and vaccine effectiveness in the months ahead and look forward to additional discussion around potential updates this fall.

Your logic makes sense. Last fall we got the flu shot in one arm and the bivalent booster in the other. We try to get our flu shots by mid October. The pharmacist even suggested September because we’re a (small) university town and the students come back (with their germs) in Sept. But this was before covid. If possible, I’d rather stick to getting them both at once. October seems soon enough.

I have had tinnitus for many years but it's not severe, thank goodness. None of my five Covid vaccines (so far) have made it worse, nor did having Covid in late 2022.
I'm glad that your tinnitus is not severe and that you are able to tolerate it. From a single personal experience with the unpleasant ear noise, I understand how it can interfere with someone's health and well-being.

When I first started seeing my current PCP, she wanted me to take a different BP med than what I was on at the time. The first trial medication (Lisinopril) caused a dry, nuisance cough, so we moved on to another. The second trial med (Metoprolol) caused tinnitus that would have driven me crazy :eek: The incessant noise in my right ear started about 72 hours after I started the medication. Since I'd never experienced the ear noise, I assumed it was a side effect of the medication. I stopped taking it and, within 72 hours, the annoying ear sounds were gone. Third medication (Candesartan) was the charm and has never caused any problems in seven years.

I'm glad that your tinnitus is not severe and that you are able to tolerate it. From a single personal experience with the unpleasant ear noise, I understand how it can interfere with someone's health and well-being.

When I first started seeing my current PCP, she wanted me to take a different BP med than what I was on at the time. The first trial medication (Lisinopril) caused a dry, nuisance cough, so we moved on to another. The second trial med (Metoprolol) caused tinnitus that would have driven me crazy :eek: The incessant noise in my right ear started about 72 hours after I started the medication. Since I'd never experienced the ear noise, I assumed it was a side effect of the medication. I stopped taking it and, within 72 hours, the annoying ear sounds were gone. Third medication (Candesartan) was the charm and has never caused any problems in seven years.
My mild tinnitus worsened nearly 20 years ago from taking too much ibuprofen. I stopped doing that but the damage had been done. The tinnitus is still not severe, but the damage to my ears has caused balance problems for me.

This article discusses medications that can cause tinnitus:
Excerpt:
"A wide range of prescription and over-the-counter medications are potentially “ototoxic,” or harmful to the ears. Ototoxic medications can potentially cause tinnitus by damaging the sensory cells located within the inner ear. These cells are needed for balance and hearing.

Symptoms of tinnitus may resolve once the medication is stopped, or the dosage is changed. However, in some instances, tinnitus caused by ototoxic drugs may be long lasting or permanent. Not everyone who takes an ototoxic medication will develop tinnitus...."

As we know, having Covid can lead to many serious long-term effects. I subscribe to Dr. Eric Topol's Substack, and he writes about the increased risk of autoimmune disease in those who have had Covid:

"When we published our comprehensive review of Long Covid earlier this year, the evidence for elevated risk of autoimmune diseases had not been established. That’s now changed. There are three large cohort studies that provide strong support of the “substantially increased risk of developing a diverse spectrum of new-onset autoimmune diseases.

My mild tinnitus worsened nearly 20 years ago from taking too much ibuprofen. I stopped doing that but the damage had been done. The tinnitus is still not severe, but the damage to my ears has caused balance problems for me.

This article discusses medications that can cause tinnitus:
Excerpt:
"A wide range of prescription and over-the-counter medications are potentially “ototoxic,” or harmful to the ears. Ototoxic medications can potentially cause tinnitus by damaging the sensory cells located within the inner ear. These cells are needed for balance and hearing.

Symptoms of tinnitus may resolve once the medication is stopped, or the dosage is changed. However, in some instances, tinnitus caused by ototoxic drugs may be long lasting or permanent. Not everyone who takes an ototoxic medication will develop tinnitus...."
Thanks for posting this, very interesting and informative!

I've had a moderate to severe case of tinnitus since an early age. I live on allergy meds and had 3 sinus surgeries. Nothing works for it. At night, I sleep with the tv on to block the ringing. Fortunately, I've not had Covid yet.
Sorry to hear that. Below info is from Mayo Clinic article on tinnitus. Have you used a white noise machine or an in-ear masking device?

Noise suppression​

Many times, tinnitus can't be cured. But there are treatments that can help make your symptoms less noticeable. Your doctor may suggest using an electronic device to suppress the noise. Devices include:
  • White noise machines. These devices, which produce a sound similar to static, or environmental sounds such as falling rain or ocean waves, are often an effective treatment for tinnitus. You may want to try a white noise machine with pillow speakers to help you sleep. Fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners in the bedroom also produce white noise and may help make tinnitus less noticeable at night.
  • Masking devices. Worn in the ear and similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.

As we know, having Covid can lead to many serious long-term effects. I subscribe to Dr. Eric Topol's Substack, and he writes about the increased risk of autoimmune disease in those who have had Covid:

"When we published our comprehensive review of Long Covid earlier this year, the evidence for elevated risk of autoimmune diseases had not been established. That’s now changed. There are three large cohort studies that provide strong support of the “substantially increased risk of developing a diverse spectrum of new-onset autoimmune diseases.
That is an interesting article - looking at the long term effects of covid. I haven't had it, but most people have. I'm curious how many years until health care systems are overwhelmed again, this time with chronically ill populations (all age groups, per the article).

Sorry to hear that. Below info is from Mayo Clinic article on tinnitus. Have you used a white noise machine or an in-ear masking device?

Noise suppression​

Many times, tinnitus can't be cured. But there are treatments that can help make your symptoms less noticeable. Your doctor may suggest using an electronic device to suppress the noise. Devices include:
  • White noise machines. These devices, which produce a sound similar to static, or environmental sounds such as falling rain or ocean waves, are often an effective treatment for tinnitus. You may want to try a white noise machine with pillow speakers to help you sleep. Fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners in the bedroom also produce white noise and may help make tinnitus less noticeable at night.
  • Masking devices. Worn in the ear and similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.
I’ve tried a white noise machine without success. I read about the hearing aid type device and plan on talking to my ENT at my next appointment. His office has an in-house audiologist. We sleep with a ceiling fan year-round which helps to muffle the buzzing noise. Thank goodness my husband wears hearing aids because I fall asleep to Investigative Discovery to fall asleep.

I got the recently approved spring bivalent covid vaccine this morning
I was eligible because of my age

For me personally, I like to get them as they become available- anything else makes me uncomfortable
Still…

I got the recently approved spring bivalent covid vaccine this morning
I was eligible because of my age

For me personally, I like to get them as they become available- anything else makes me uncomfortable
Still…
So guessing this is your 2nd bivalent booster? :)

I, like you, always got them as soon as they became available. However, I'm trying to figure out what to do now as I was just hit with a 4 month jury duty notice May-Aug. Since it's been 4 mo since my last booster (bivalent early Sept) I was going to get my 2nd bivalent booster. Well, until the letter. I'd hate to get it now, just to get summoned for a trail in August as I'd be as unprotected then (If I get my booster in the next few days) since late Aug is 4 months out. I really wish the CDC would just say "anyone immunocompromised, or over 65, or is/has XYZ, can get boosted" WITHOUT waiting for them to put their stamp of approval on it as their timing might not work with me trying to time things around this jury duty. Or anyone trying to time anything, actually. If they'd do that I'd get my booster ASAP, knowing that I could get another 4 mo from now. Obviously if they call me in late July I'd be near the end of my "boostfulness". Ugh at this mess.

I'm just beside myself over this. For starters, I HATE HATE HATE jury duty. I had a really bad experience once as a juror, said NEVER again, but I won't derail this thread over those details. So there's that. There's also the fact I have spent the last 3 yrs avoiding people and public places. Thank goodness I was raised as an only child and don't have a problem being alone. I'm alone, I'm not lonely. Big difference there. I feel like that prepared me for a pandemic. :) I am really scared to be called in and have to sit near people inside a public building. I REALLY don't want to do this for the reasons I outlined above. :( But if I have to, I'd like the ability to time my next booster so my immune system is in high gear should I be forced to go in.

I'm going to nicely request I be excused due to that (not the "I HATE jury duty" part. LOL) I'm trying to figure out how to word it so I don't sound whiney, paranoid, or any other negative thing (like crazy. lol I actually think all these maskless people that have gone on about their business like nothing ever happened (and still happening) are the crazy ones, but I digress!)

So please wish me luck. I haven't spent the last 3 yrs avoiding people at all costs just to get sucked into a crowded room full of (likely) maskless strangers for days just because I'm told I have to. Ugh. :eek:

Last edited:

I, like you, always got them as soon as they became available. However, I'm trying to figure out what to do now as I was just hit with a 4 month jury duty notice May-Aug. Since it's been 4 mo since my last booster (bivalent early Sept) I was going to get my 2nd bivalent booster. Well, until the letter. I'd hate to get it now, just to get summoned for a trail in August as I'd be as unprotected then (If I get my booster in the next few days) since late Aug is 4 months out. I really wish the CDC would just say "anyone immunocompromised, or over 65, or is/has XYZ, can get boosted" WITHOUT waiting for them to put their stamp of approval on it as their timing might not work with me trying to time things around this jury duty. Or anyone trying to time anything, actually. If they'd do that I'd get my booster ASAP, knowing that I could get another 4 mo from now. Obviously if they call me in late July I'd be near the end of my "boostfulness". Ugh at this mess.

I'm just beside myself over this. For starters, I HATE HATE HATE jury duty. I had a really bad experience once as a juror, said NEVER again, but I won't derail this thread over those details. So there's that. There's also the fact I have spent the last 3 yrs avoiding people and public places. Thank goodness I was raised as an only child and don't have a problem being alone. I'm alone, I'm not lonely. Big difference there. I feel like that prepared me for a pandemic. :) I am really scared to be called in and have to sit near people inside a public building. I REALLY don't want to do this for the reasons I outlined above. :( But if I have to, I'd like the ability to time my next booster so my immune system is in high gear should I be forced to go in.

I'm going to nicely request I be excused due to that (not the "I HATE jury duty" part. LOL) I'm trying to figure out how to word it so I don't sound whiney, paranoid, or any other negative thing (like crazy. lol I actually think all these maskless people that have gone on about their business like nothing ever happened (and still happening) are the crazy ones, but I digress!)

So please wish me luck. I haven't spent the last 3 yrs avoiding people at all costs just to get sucked into a crowded room full of (likely) maskless strangers for days just because I'm told I have to. Ugh. :eek:
Yes you guessed right - it’s my second bivalent and I also got my first bivalent last September

I understand what you are saying and I would feel the same
Wishing you luck:)

I hear you @Gemmie. Here’s hoping you can “defer” jury duty. I’m still undecided about the second bivalent, but they are never instantly available here, so I have time to think. Wishing you well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper