Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you @Gemmie. Here’s hoping you can “defer” jury duty. I’m still undecided about the second bivalent, but they are never instantly available here, so I have time to think. Wishing you well!
I'm hoping I can defer it until I'm 70 which is when you can opt out if called upon! LOL I wish they'd lower that age a bit. ;)

I'm hoping I can defer it until I'm 70 which is when you can opt out if called upon! LOL I wish they'd lower that age a bit. ;)

Yes! I was very relieved to hit 70, although I reported for jury duty several times a few years prior, but never got picked. I was a bit disappointed, but now I don’t mind. And you’re right about the crowded room before you go to the courtroom. Not a good place to be.

P.S. I’m an only child and it definitely was good training for the pandemic!

P.S. I’m an only child and it definitely was good training for the pandemic!
YES IT WAS!! LOL! I feel like I'm doing so much better than a lot of folks. It's them I worry about. Well, and me if I'm forced into going indoors with a bunch of unmasked strangers for jury duty. Then my only child upbringing isn't going to help one bit.

I honestly don't think I'll be able to concentrate much on the case if I'm worried about being crammed in with strangers and out of my element (well, my "element" these last 3 yrs. I wouldn't have a problem with it otherwise. I once wanted to work on the NY stock exchange floor in the middle of allll that action and people. My, how things have changed. lol). I know I'm not going to be able to concentrate like I should. :( Just ughies.

I have been very sick for 2 weeks. I had to go to urgent care twice because of breathing difficulties. Started as body aches, eye pain, fever. Progressed to lungs. The drs told me that there are now 3 new viruses circulating that mimic covid symptoms but tests negative because it is not a coronavirus. They think that’s what I had. Terrific! I hope this doesn’t become another mess.

I have been very sick for 2 weeks. I had to go to urgent care twice because of breathing difficulties. Started as body aches, eye pain, fever. Progressed to lungs. The drs told me that there are now 3 new viruses circulating that mimic covid symptoms but tests negative because it is not a coronavirus. They think that’s what I had. Terrific! I hope this doesn’t become another mess.
Could it have been an adenovirus? Our local TV doctor (WDIV, Detroit) had been including this in his weekly list of "what's going around". Adult RSV, as well. Both seem to be waning now.

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. :( Did your Drs tell you what the 3 other virusus were called? I'm curious what else is out there.

I know RSV is one of them because my mother is on a clinical trial for that so I've been aware of it for a while now. Perhaps you have RSV?

RSV has some eye problems.

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. :( Did your Drs tell you what the 3 other virusus were called? I'm curious what else is out there.

I know RSV is one of them because my mother is on a clinical trial for that so I've been aware of it for a while now. Perhaps you have RSV?

RSV has some eye problems.

Unfortunately they did not say what the other 3 viruses are. Just that they’re new.

I would also like to know what the other 3 viruses are that your doctors mentioned.

A friend of ours was quite sick in early winter and his doctor tested for Covid, Influenza, and RSV, but all tests were negative. A nasty virus, though...he coughed for weeks.

“CDC is working with the Georgia Department of Health to conduct a rapid epidemiological assessment of confirmed COVID-19 cases that appear to be connected to the 2023 EIS Conference to determine transmission patterns,” CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said in an email.

Nordlund said the CDC reported the cases to state health officials who have authority over the location where the conference occurred. Attendees said many people at the gathering did not mask, socially distance or take other precautions that the CDC had recommended earlier in the pandemic…

Experts said an outbreak of coronavirus cases at a CDC conference — the first time the meeting of disease detectives was held in person in four years — illustrates the persistence of an evolving virus. The four-day conference for epidemic intelligence service officers and alumni, held near CDC headquarters in Atlanta last week, drew about 2,000 attendees who were likely to be fully vaccinated.

“This is, unfortunately, the new normal,” Jay Varma, an infectious-disease expert at Weill Cornell Medicine, wrote in a text message. “While it is unsettling to see widespread COVID-19 transmission at CDC’s premier public health conference, it’s probably the clearest example yet” of the global situation.

“CDC is working with the Georgia Department of Health to conduct a rapid epidemiological assessment of confirmed COVID-19 cases that appear to be connected to the 2023 EIS Conference to determine transmission patterns,” CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said in an email.

Nordlund said the CDC reported the cases to state health officials who have authority over the location where the conference occurred. Attendees said many people at the gathering did not mask, socially distance or take other precautions that the CDC had recommended earlier in the pandemic…

Experts said an outbreak of coronavirus cases at a CDC conference — the first time the meeting of disease detectives was held in person in four years — illustrates the persistence of an evolving virus. The four-day conference for epidemic intelligence service officers and alumni, held near CDC headquarters in Atlanta last week, drew about 2,000 attendees who were likely to be fully vaccinated.

“This is, unfortunately, the new normal,” Jay Varma, an infectious-disease expert at Weill Cornell Medicine, wrote in a text message. “While it is unsettling to see widespread COVID-19 transmission at CDC’s premier public health conference, it’s probably the clearest example yet” of the global situation.

smh You'd think they'd know better. Just today I ventured out for food (I rarely go out these last 3 yrs) and I was one of VERY FEW masked people. I saw only 3 masks (including mine) out of dozens and dozens of people I saw. I thought to myself "It ain't over, folks".

Now I read that about this breakout at a CDC conference, of all places. It's mind-blowing to read about the CDC dropping the ball and ignoring their OWN guidelines. It's like everyone has put Covid in the read-view mirror, including the CDC. You'd think they'd all have taken Covid tests, be masked up, outdoors, and with a lot of space between them. I'm just at a loss for words. I just don't understand any of this. :(

smh You'd think they'd know better. Just today I ventured out for food (I rarely go out these last 3 yrs) and I was one of VERY FEW masked people. I saw only 3 masks (including mine) out of dozens and dozens of people I saw. I thought to myself "It ain't over, folks".

Now I read that about this breakout at a CDC conference, of all places. It's mind-blowing to read about the CDC dropping the ball and ignoring their OWN guidelines. It's like everyone has put Covid in the read-view mirror, including the CDC. You'd think they'd all have taken Covid tests, be masked up, outdoors, and with a lot of space between them. I'm just at a loss for words. I just don't understand any of this. :(

Totally agree- it is ironic isn't it?

I am struggling with getting the bivalent booster- Up until now ( it is almost 10 months since my booster- monovalent) I took the vaccine shots and didn't worry that much. But now I am concerned. Without going into exquisite detail, I have a medical condition-<modsnip - if you can't link it, don't mention it> now I am afraid to get the vaccine and I am concerned because I feel I am not very protected being 10 months out from my last booster (July 2022)- I ran this by one of my physicians who of course said you have to weigh benefit v risk- I understand that but I remain skeptical of getting that booster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am struggling with getting the bivalent booster- Up until now ( it is almost 10 months since my booster- monovalent) I took the vaccine shots and didn't worry that much. But now I am concerned. Without going into exquisite detail, I have a medical condition-<modsnip> now I am afraid to get the vaccine and I am concerned because I feel I am not very protected being 10 months out from my last booster (July 2022)- I ran this by one of my physicians who of course said you have to weigh benefit v risk- I understand that but I remain skeptical of getting that booster.
I don't know where you live, but I'd contact the medical director in your district to gather information before you decide. I'm vaccinated, boosted, and have a couple of medical issues that put me in an “at risk” category. My friend and pharmacist had me call the medical director. It put my mind at ease. I continue to mask in buildings, etc.

I don't know where you live, but I'd contact the medical director in your district to gather information before you decide. I'm vaccinated, boosted, and have a couple of medical issues that put me in an “at risk” category. My friend and pharmacist had me call the medical director. It put my mind at ease. I continue to mask in buildings, etc.

I am not sure how to determine who the medical director in my district is---

I am struggling with getting the bivalent booster- Up until now ( it is almost 10 months since my booster- monovalent) I took the vaccine shots and didn't worry that much. But now I am concerned. Without going into exquisite detail, I have a medical condition- <modsnip> now I am afraid to get the vaccine and I am concerned because I feel I am not very protected being 10 months out from my last booster (July 2022)- I ran this by one of my physicians who of course said you have to weigh benefit v risk- I understand that but I remain skeptical of getting that booster.
Not knowing what your condition is, this may or may not help. But it at least it might help someone so I'm posting it. :)

I was vaguely aware some people, due to certain conditions, should seek an alternate vaccine to MRNA and/or J&J. I do not know what the alternatives to those vaccines are.

People with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any component of either an mRNA vaccine or the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine should NOT receive that vaccine. Many people will be safely able to receive an alternate vaccine.

More info here: Information for Special Populations and the COVID-19 vaccine | Yale Health

I am not sure how to determine who the medical director in my district is---
Do you live in the States? My state (Louisiana) is divided into regions and has a medical director. The medical director reports to the state department of health. Our state struggled with an extremely high number of covid cases and covid deaths. Although many in my immediate family are doctors/nurses, they didn't work in fields that had the latest and greatest covid information. I trusted my friend/pharmacist’s recommendation to consult with the regional medical director. Plus, he’s a senator who’s on the state health and hospital committee.

Do you live in the States? My state (Louisiana) is divided into regions and has a medical director. The medical director reports to the state department of health. Our state struggled with an extremely high number of covid cases and covid deaths. Although many in my immediate family are doctors/nurses, they didn't work in fields that had the latest and greatest covid information. I trusted my friend/pharmacist’s recommendation to consult with the regional medical director. Plus, he’s a senator who’s on the state health and hospital committee.
i live in Michigan but i have no idea how to find a medical director unless i talked to the medical
director of a hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member