Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke too soon. I found out my uncle has Covid the day after @anneg asked. He was in hospital for something else (fairly serious), then he developed a very high temperature so they tested him and now he's isolated from all visitors. It's worrying and complicates an already worrying situation. He's had all his boosters so fingers crossed he'll be OK.
My sis tested positive after traveling to England and Ireland this spring. She's not sure where she got it but suspects on the flight. A walking buddy of mine got covid this month from a visiting friend from England. Not picking on England or Ireland, just happens to be what's happened in my circle recently. I'm in USA.

Right now I'm concerned about politics interfering with science again, especially here in Florida. A local political party has voted to send out a letter to the governor and others that Covid-19 vaccines themselves are bioweapons. They are asking to ban the vaccines. Right now there is a state grand jury, convened by the governor, investigating the vaccine producers and the vaccines, so it is a possible outcome. County GOP: COVID-19 vaccine is a bioweapon
OMG!! I cannot believe this- that is absolutely nuts
Glad I don't live in Florida

Right now I'm concerned about politics interfering with science again, especially here in Florida. A local political party has voted to send out a letter to the governor and others that Covid-19 vaccines themselves are bioweapons. They are asking to ban the vaccines. Right now there is a state grand jury, convened by the governor, investigating the vaccine producers and the vaccines, so it is a possible outcome. County GOP: COVID-19 vaccine is a bioweapon
Oh for heaven's sake! These people are nuts.

Oh for heaven's sake! These people are nuts.

They are not only nuts, but dangerous-- thinking ahead, Scientists are predicting there will be more pandemics or at least serious outbreaks in our future and we as a country will need vaccines-- This kind of thought process could result in millions of unnecessary deaths because people will not have access to vaccines that will be interpreted by ignorant politicians as "bioweapons'-- It is truly insane.

If it were me I'd time the gargling with any risks that had just been taken. IOW... immediately after, not hours later that evening before bed. Like as soon as I returned from shopping the day someone sneezed on my back as an example. You don't want to give it a foothold, the goal is to knock it out ASAP.

I'm trying to see if that even works. Google hasn't given me great results for years now (changed algorhythm). I found this about how certain mouthwashes might stop the virus, but that's about transmission. IE - you already caught Covid and making it less likely for you to transmit it, which I don't believe was your goal (but I could be wrong).

This is saying you should dilute the peroxide before gargling with it:

Lastly, I remember hearing about not using peroxide on wound anymore. It's also brought up in the link above saying:

"health experts now warn against using it to clean wounds because it can irritate the skin and kill healthy cells."

If you're not diluting it I'd definitely consider doing that. :)

Further trying to find anything about gargling with peroxide (I'm not finding much of anything) I did find this that I think you'll find of interest:

researchers found hydrogen peroxide rinses and neti pot rinses did very little to inactivate the virus.

“It’s important to realize that there is a difference between research conducted in a controlled laboratory setting and the dynamic microbial environment that exists inside your mouth,” says Robert Glatter, MD, a physician in the department of emergency medicine at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.

“If we can test this in people, we can get the actual data that may show that if people do this, they can actually lower their viral load, which would mean that it has the potential to lower the virus’s ability to spread,”

But again, the article is talking about reducing the viral load in regards to transmission, not preventing you from catching.

This article published in 2021 describes that nasal steroids may lessen the severity of Covid- I could not find any follow up studies. People, like myself, use nasal steroids for allergy control. I hope this is true but I do wish there were some follow up studies.

I will add that there is one more precaution I take -- not sure if I've already mentioned this -- any day that I have been among lots of people, whether masked or not, at the end of the day I have a little gargle with hydrogen peroxide after I've brushed my teeth before bed.

My thinking is, I put H2O2 on a cut to prevent infection, might it not equally prevent infection from any nasties I may have breathed in which have lodged against the back of my throat?

I don't think it's harmful (I don't swallow it, so only ingest maybe a drop each time) so I figure "it can't hurt".
When DH and I went to the dentist during the pandemic, the hygienist had us rinse with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and mouthwash prior to our cleanings. She had us keep the mixture in our mouths and swish for 15 seconds before suctioning.

They are not only nuts, but dangerous-- thinking ahead, Scientists are predicting there will be more pandemics or at least serious outbreaks in our future and we as a country will need vaccines-- This kind of thought process could result in millions of unnecessary deaths because people will not have access to vaccines that will be interpreted by ignorant politicians as "bioweapons'-- It is truly insane.
Very dangerous. And shameful that people believe it. jmo

When DH and I went to the dentist during the pandemic, the hygienist had us rinse with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and mouthwash prior to our cleanings. She had us keep the mixture in our mouths and swish for 15 seconds before suctioning.

I always have this done when I have my teeth cleaned, long before the pandemic.

SBMMF

That sounds a lot like me. :) I even write my grocery list in the order in which things are in the store. I have the produce department memorized so the next thing on my list is the next thing in the store. That way I'm not having to stand there, checking my list to figure out what is near, or backtrack. I'm in and out in the blink of an eye.

Thank you for the reminder! I need to make a blueberry cobbler due to all the berries my bushes had.

Yep, it is.

Long CV scares me. I need my wits about me and my strength to do day to day things that need doing. I don't even want to think what would happen if I ever got Long CV. :(
bbm - I've done this my whole adult life simply because I hate grocery shopping and want to get out of there as soon as possible. :D

Even as the nation is faced with blistering heat waves this summer, Dr. Mandy Cohen, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is already thinking ahead to cold and flu season this winter.

“We’re going to have three bugs out there, three viruses: Covid, of course, flu and RSV,” Cohen said in an interview. “We need to make sure the American people understand all three and what they can do to protect themselves.”

Spread of all three respiratory viruses is currently low, but the CDC has begun to detect slight increases in positive Covid tests and Covid-related emergency department visits. And the decline in Covid hospitalizations has stalled...

I didn't have to mask up at my dentist or at multiple different doctor appointments, even in an emergency room, but when I went to my optometrist's office 2 of the employees shouted at me while I was pushing open the see-through glass door to come in.

They wouldn't let me step foot in there without a mask - overreacting like I had the plague. Luckily I had a mask in my glove box because I don't know if they had any for customers.
Any place that requires masks should have them available at all times.

And even though my doctors haven't required me to mask up, my cats' doctors requires it, go figure!

COVID in your house? Isolating from sick family members may not do much good, according to a new study​

I went to Cape Cod the 11th - 17th and I tested positive for covid yesterday. The first time I've ever had it. I've vaccinated and had the boosters. I feel like I have a really bad head cold. I'm thankful for the vaccines because I cant imagine how much worse it could have been.

And even though my doctors haven't required me to mask up, my cats' doctors requires it, go figure!
SBMFF

LOVE IT!!! Cats and dogs (even wild and exotic animals) can catch Covid as well! (I posted about that upthread with links) Not only would I not want my cat to catch it, I wouldn't want her to be the one that infected me in our house which is my safe place from Covid. I go NO WHERE without a mask. In fact, I'm thinking of changing vets over that. Our current one stopped masking as soon as the mandate was lifted. And what happened? Not long after they sent all their clients an email saying they were closed *drum roll* because they ALL had Covid!!

[/SARCASM] Gee.... I wondered how that happened? [/END SARCASM]

I went to Cape Cod the 11th - 17th and I tested positive for covid yesterday. The first time I've ever had it. I've vaccinated and had the boosters. I feel like I have a really bad head cold. I'm thankful for the vaccines because I cant imagine how much worse it could have been.
I hope it remains a mild case AND doesn't turn into long covid! Wishing you the very best! :)

SBMFF

LOVE IT!!! Cats and dogs (even wild and exotic animals) can catch Covid as well! (I posted about that upthread with links) Not only would I not want my cat to catch it, I wouldn't want her to be the one that infected me in our house which is my safe place from Covid. I go NO WHERE without a mask. In fact, I'm thinking of changing vets over that. Our current one stopped masking as soon as the mandate was lifted. And what happened? Not long after they sent all their clients an email saying they were closed *drum roll* because they ALL had Covid!!

[/SARCASM] Gee.... I wondered how that happened? [/END SARCASM]

Hey, thanks for the heads up that you have posted about animals and Covid upthread, I will look for your post! Haven't been here lately.

Glad you LOVE IT!!!

A little update on my uncle. He's out of hospital now. Still testing positive for Covid but they needed to free up the bed for another patient. He has to isolate from his wife who has health issues so other family members will help out with his care. From what I've heard he has a terrible painful cough and that will linger for a while unfortunately. They must be happy enough with his recovery to discharge him but I dislike the fact hospitals are sending people home to vulnerable, elderly family members while still possibly infectious. That's just the sad reality of overcrowded, overstretched hospitals though. Hopefully he will be fine before too long.

I got complacent. Lesson learned. Wear a mask when in public. Especially airports and airplanes. Although, I’m pretty sure I got it while on the Cape that Saturday before returning home. A friend of mine who drove in from Connecticut got sick as well a couple days later. We attended the Whydah Pirate Museum and then drove to Plymouth to the Mayflower II then dinner afterwards. Either way….it’s time for another booster and I’ll be masking up from now on. I don’t feel horrible but my throat is so sore it’s making me feel like I have an ear infection in both ears. I didn’t know these things existed but Starbucks that has something called the “medicine ball” that’s not on their menu but it’s a hot tea and it works wonders on my throat. Check it out if any of you get a sore throat from allergies, etc.

I got complacent. Lesson learned. Wear a mask when in public. Especially airports and airplanes. Although, I’m pretty sure I got it while on the Cape that Saturday before returning home. A friend of mine who drove in from Connecticut got sick as well a couple days later. We attended the Whydah Pirate Museum and then drove to Plymouth to the Mayflower II then dinner afterwards. Either way….it’s time for another booster and I’ll be masking up from now on. I don’t feel horrible but my throat is so sore it’s making me feel like I have an ear infection in both ears. I didn’t know these things existed but Starbucks that has something called the “medicine ball” that’s not on their menu but it’s a hot tea and it works wonders on my throat. Check it out if any of you get a sore throat from allergies, etc.
Glad to hear you're not feeling horrible. I'm also glad to hear you say "lesson learned" and back to masking up in public. :) I wish more would do that, with or without a lesson learned. It's the smart thing to do, IMO, cuz it ain't over till its over, and it doesn't look like that'll happen, unfortunately. :(

And yes, I know ain't isn't proper. :) (Or is it 'I know ain't ain't proper'? lol)

I looked up SB's medicine ball since I'm not into tea and it's more than that so thought I'd post what I found here as this description makes it sound better than just hot tea. :)

The Medicine Ball or Cold Buster is made with Jade Citrus Mint Green Tea, Peach Tranquility Herbal Tea, hot water, steamed lemonade, and a hint of honey. To jazz it up, some customers also order a pump of peppermint syrup for extra flavor in their sniffles-busting beverage.

The next pandemic could spring from the US meat supply, new report finds

(...)

While Americans often think "it couldn't happen here," regulations are so loose and interactions so frequent, researchers found, that a virus or another contagious bug could easily jump from animals to people in the U.S., sparking a deadly outbreak.

"There really is this false sense of security and unfounded belief that zoonotic disease is something that happens elsewhere," said Ann Linder, one of the report’s lead authors and associate director of policy and research with the Brooks McCormick Jr. Animal Law & Policy Program at Harvard Law School. "In fact, I think we're more vulnerable than ever in many ways."

The report, also led by NYU's Center for Environmental and Animal Protection, highlights several areas of vulnerability, including commercial farms where millions of livestock come into close contact with each other and their handlers; the wild animal trade in which animals are imported with few or no health checks; and the fur trade in which minks and other animals are bred for their coats, with little safety oversight.

"Through globalization, we've erased seas and mountains and other natural boundaries of disease," said Linder, an expert in law and animal policy. "We're mixing animals and pathogens across different continents and circulating at a dizzying and ever-increasing pace."

About 10 billion land animals are raised in the U.S., a number which is increasing by about 200 million a year, according to the report. Pigs and poultry, for instance, are raised in higher numbers in the United States than almost anywhere else in the world, the report found, and are the most likely vectors for a particularly lethal outbreak of the flu.

(...)

"Don't we see the writing on the wall?" Winders asked. "Scientists are telling us there's a looming threat of a zoonotic outbreak that could make COVID look like a cakewalk, and we're still just ignoring it, even after what we've gone through over the last couple of years."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum