Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

COVID vaccines should be inhaled, says new Boston study​

From your article:

Delivering vaccines directly to the lungs by using a device similar to an asthma inhaler can build up a far larger army of immune cells where it counts: in the breathing passages. That army can intercept and kill COVID-19 virus particles before they make us sick.

When we gave the vaccine directly to the lung, we saw a dramatic improvement in ... immunity and protection in the lung itself and in the nose, leading to near complete protection against infection,” said Dr. Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and the senior author on the paper. Current vaccines raise antibodies in the blood, he said, but have a minimal effect in raising antibody and T-cell responses in the nose and the lungs — “where it really matters if you want to block infection.

ETA - And what a great find, @weepingangel! Thank you!!!

From your article:

Delivering vaccines directly to the lungs by using a device similar to an asthma inhaler can build up a far larger army of immune cells where it counts: in the breathing passages. That army can intercept and kill COVID-19 virus particles before they make us sick.

When we gave the vaccine directly to the lung, we saw a dramatic improvement in ... immunity and protection in the lung itself and in the nose, leading to near complete protection against infection,” said Dr. Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and the senior author on the paper. Current vaccines raise antibodies in the blood, he said, but have a minimal effect in raising antibody and T-cell responses in the nose and the lungs — “where it really matters if you want to block infection.

ETA - And what a great find, @weepingangel! Thank you!!!
With the vaccine being administered this way may improve the immunization rate.

I got my COVID vaccination two days ago, this time I got Moderna. My previous 4 vaccinations have all been Pfizer. My last booster was a little over a year ago.

I got the vaccination early in the morning and went to work, felt fine all day. Yesterday I had a low grade fever, body aches, and was extremely fatigued.

Today I woke up feeling fine.

I tried to book my Covid booster online for next week as I assumed they would be available to everyone by now (in Ireland). Clinics and pharmacies have been boosting older and medically vulnerable people for months.

Got a message that Covid boosters are not recommended for healthy people under 50 who have already been boosted twice unless they have a specific reason to request one, and it asked me to state my reason. I don't have a specific reason other than not wanting a bad bout of Covid so I just abandoned the booking.

This seems strange to me. I've never had a prior Covid infection and my last booster was nearly a year ago so I doubt I have much if any antibody protection left. This is the first time I have simply not been eligible at all for a Covid vaccine.

I tried to book my Covid booster online for next week as I assumed they would be available to everyone by now (in Ireland). Clinics and pharmacies have been boosting older and medically vulnerable people for months.

Got a message that Covid boosters are not recommended for healthy people under 50 who have already been boosted twice unless they have a specific reason to request one, and it asked me to state my reason. I don't have a specific reason other than not wanting a bad bout of Covid so I just abandoned the booking.

This seems strange to me. I've never had a prior Covid infection and my last booster was nearly a year ago so I doubt I have much if any antibody protection left. This is the first time I have simply not been eligible at all for a Covid vaccine.
Boy are they wrong IMO. There are NO MORE boosters. The new vaccine targets what is currently going around similar to how flu shots work. In fact, they changed the 'recipe' with the last one out a few months ago (Sept 2023) to not include the original strain as Covid has mutated SO MUCH that it's not useful to "boost" (the way they were doing it before the last batch/vaccine) people for something not going around! Sounds like whoever makes those decisions isn't paying attention.

What they are telling you is the equivalent of saying you can't have a flu shot if you've had one anytime in the past. They KNOW (or should know) that the current vaccine for flu targets what's currently going around. Your old flu shots from years ago are worthless to what's currently going around this year and a new one would be needed.

The FDA calls this an updated vaccine (not a “booster” like previous shots) because it builds a new immune response to variants that are currently circulating. This change reflects the current approach of treating COVID-19 similarly to the flu, with preventive measures such as an annual vaccination.

New updated vaccines in September 2023 replaced the bivalent shots with ones targeting the XBB lineage of the Omicron variant. The original and bivalent vaccines are no longer in use, and it has yet to be decided whether updated shots will be administered annually, like the flu shot.

Please take this info and explain it to them. Hopefully that will work.

Boy are they wrong IMO. There are NO MORE boosters. The new vaccine targets what is currently going around similar to how flu shots work. In fact, they changed the 'recipe' with the last one out a few months ago (Sept 2023) to not include the original strain as Covid has mutated SO MUCH that it's not useful to "boost" (the way they were doing it before the last batch/vaccine) people for something not going around! Sounds like whoever makes those decisions isn't paying attention.

What they are telling you is the equivalent of saying you can't have a flu shot if you've had one anytime in the past. They KNOW (or should know) that the current vaccine for flu targets what's currently going around. Your old flu shots from years ago are worthless to what's currently going around this year and a new one would be needed.

The FDA calls this an updated vaccine (not a “booster” like previous shots) because it builds a new immune response to variants that are currently circulating. This change reflects the current approach of treating COVID-19 similarly to the flu, with preventive measures such as an annual vaccination.

New updated vaccines in September 2023 replaced the bivalent shots with ones targeting the XBB lineage of the Omicron variant. The original and bivalent vaccines are no longer in use, and it has yet to be decided whether updated shots will be administered annually, like the flu shot.

Please take this info and explain it to them. Hopefully that will work.
I agree. It's basically a whole new vaccine. I'm going to go into a pharmacy next week and ask them if they'll just give me one. I think they think most people my age have probably already had Covid recently and that whatever immunity they have from prior infections will do. Or they're young and healthy and they'll just get over it. Seems like a sloppy approach.

I agree. It's basically a whole new vaccine. I'm going to go into a pharmacy next week and ask them if they'll just give me one. I think they think most people my age have probably already had Covid recently and that whatever immunity they have from prior infections will do. Or they're young and healthy and they'll just get over it. Seems like a sloppy approach.
Is that pharm your only option? I'd definitely explain how the newest one is specifically targeting what's going around and is no longer a booster (like flu shots aren't boosters). Then telling you that your previous vaccines are good enough is just wrong. Send them over here to this thread to get educated on all things Covid! lol

Good luck!! I hope it all works out for you. :)

People I know use the reason of working with the public as a valid reason to want/need the vaccines, if that suggestion might help.

Is that pharm your only option? I'd definitely explain how the newest one is specifically targeting what's going around and is no longer a booster (like flu shots aren't boosters). Then telling you that your previous vaccines are good enough is just wrong. Send them over here to this thread to get educated on all things Covid! lol

Good luck!! I hope it all works out for you. :)
I think so. I'm not eligible for the health clinic programme - that's for older people and those with medical vulnerabilities. The pharmacies are supposed to be offering the service to people aged 12+ but that seems to be with caveats (never had a vaccine before or have only had one booster, etc). Once I provided my details and number of previous vaccines, I got the message that it wasn't recommended for me. I'll just go in and talk to them and ask some questions. The staff are usually very helpful. I don't mind paying if I'm not eligible to get a free one. Thank you!

People I know use the reason of working with the public as a valid reason to want/need the vaccines, if that suggestion might help.
Early on when vaccines were limited to those with compromised immune systems (or over age 65 which I'm not quite yet), I used "my mother lives in a skilled nursing ward" as a reason and that was accepted. Nobody asked if she lives nearby me or how soon I would be visiting, but they considered that a sufficiently high risk environment that they allowed me the vaccine.

Early on when vaccines were limited to those with compromised immune systems (or over age 65 which I'm not quite yet), I used "my mother lives in a skilled nursing ward" as a reason and that was accepted. Nobody asked if she lives nearby me or how soon I would be visiting, but they considered that a sufficiently high risk environment that they allowed me the vaccine.
Yes, elderly parents that I see on a daily basis is very valid, too.

Maybe give them another valid reason, like you are often around a family member who is elderly and/or has underlying conditions, or you work in a high risk environment where you are often exposed , Or where you could expose others, etc?

They might just need a justification for their paperwork?

Maybe give them another valid reason, like you are often around a family member who is elderly and/or has underlying conditions, or you work in a high risk environment where you are often exposed , Or where you could expose others, etc?

They might just need a justification for their paperwork?
Thank you. I will do as I help my mother who has some health problems. I'm hoping to go in on Thursday and I'll try to make an appointment in person or see if they'll do the vaccination there and then. The vaccine uptake is super low this year here so supply should not be a problem.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says there is an “urgent need” to boost vaccination coverage amid increasing levels of respiratory disease.

Low vaccination rates, coupled with ongoing increases in national and international respiratory disease activity caused by multiple pathogens, including influenza viruses, SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19), and RSV, could lead to more severe disease and increased healthcare capacity strain in the coming weeks,” the agency wrote in a Health Alert Network advisory Thursday. “In addition, a recent increase in cases of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) following SARS-CoV-2 infection in the United States has been reported.”

Thank you. I will do as I help my mother who has some health problems. I'm hoping to go in on Thursday and I'll try to make an appointment in person or see if they'll do the vaccination there and then. The vaccine uptake is super low this year here so supply should not be a problem.
Well, the first place I went to just gave me a firm no, I wasn't eligible. The 'specific reason' had to be an underlying condition of my own, not of an elderly parent. I asked if the vaccine would be opened up to everyone next year and they didn’t know. I was told just don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Lol.

So I tried a chemist in another town and they are keen to give me the vaccine, particularly as I've never had Covid (and they know my mother), but they need to check if the paperwork clears with the government health service. I have an appointment for January but they will ring me back and cancel if the computer says no. Very byzantine!

Well, the first place I went to just gave me a firm no, I wasn't eligible. The 'specific reason' had to be an underlying condition of my own, not of an elderly parent. I asked if the vaccine would be opened up to everyone next year and they didn’t know. I was told just don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Lol.

So I tried a chemist in another town and they are keen to give me the vaccine, particularly as I've never had Covid (and they know my mother), but they need to check if the paperwork clears with the government health service. I have an appointment for January but they will ring me back and cancel if the computer says no. Very byzantine!
Wow! I am so glad they don't do it like that where I live. I am SO sorry to hear that someone that wants a vaccine for Covid is running into so many walls!

Why don't you come visit me and I'll take you where they'll give it to you without even blinking an eye. :) In all seriousness, I really wish I could help. :(

Ha, thank you! Honestly, it's ridiculous. And this is the country that had 95% of its population vaccinated against Covid in 2021 because its national vaccination programme was so excellent. I've got the vaccine every year since then no problem. They've really dropped the ball this year by seemingly excluding younger healthier people. Very short-sighted. Still I'm hopeful my appointment in Jan will go ahead!

Eta that was a reply to @Gemmie

That’s terrible! I’m sorry you’ve experienced this! I live in the Southeast US and we can get the booster no problem at many drugstores and of course, our doctor’s office no questions asked really. I hope you can get your booster in January with no issue.

It’s the holiday season, and although the American people are weary of Covid as we head into the pandemic’s fifth year, the unfortunate reality is that another Covid wave could soon be upon us. It’s important that people respond to the rising numbers with appropriate caution.

There are several indications of a difficult winter ahead. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that Covid hospitalizations in the U.S. are climbing once again. Such hospitalizations are also increasing in England, and during this pandemic, what’s happening in England has often presaged what happens here. Another concern is the acceleration of a new and highly transmissible Covid variant in both the United States and England, known as JN.1. It’s highly contagious and may have the ability to partially escape the virus-neutralizing antibodies and other forms of immunity from the first Covid immunizations in 2021-22.

The good news is that the new annual immunization that became available to most Americans in September, which targets a variant known as XBB, is likely to protect against the Covid variants circulating this winter. The bad news is only about 18% of eligible Americans (as of Dec. 9) have so far taken this new XBB vaccine, leaving much of the population susceptible to symptomatic or even serious illness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper