Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CDC issued a warning that the rapid spread of a highly contagious sub-variant of coronavirus could force US hospitals to start preparing for large numbers of hospitalizations.

The health agency is concerned about the strain on the US health care system due to the combined impact of COVID-19 and the flu, especially with the latest release of the new JN.1 coronavirus variant.

The CDC said that COVID-19 hospitalizations are rising rapidly.

Last weekend, I came upon a thread on the Princess Cruises message board on Cruise Critic. A couple who had recently sailed on the Enchanted Princess reported that they both contracted Covid during their trip - one actually had symptoms while on the ship, while the other developed Covid when they returned home. They noted that there were a number of passengers seeking treatment in the ship's medical center during their voyage. The Cruise Critic discussion got pretty heated with some people insisting that the couple couldn't prove that they caught the virus on the ship and that Princess has no obligation to alert passengers when there are Covid cases (or flu, RSV) on the ship. I was going to post the link to the forum here, but the thread was removed. I was interested because we were originally going to sail on the Enchanted Princess next month but canceled our cruise in early September. With Covid still prevalent during the winter months, we are sure that we did the right thing by not putting ourselves in harm's way on a cruise ship with 3600 passengers and 1500 crew.

Last edited:
New York — Look for flu and COVID-19 infections to ramp up in the coming weeks, U.S. health officials say, with increases fueled by holiday gatherings, too many unvaccinated people and a new version of the coronavirus that may be spreading more easily.

High levels of flu-like illnesses were reported last week in 17 states — up from 14 the week before, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

“Folks are traveling a lot more this season. They want to see their families,” said the CDC's Dr. Manisha Patel. "And all of that sort of adds to the mix” in the spread of viruses...

Last weekend, I came upon a thread on the Princess Cruises message board on Cruise Critic. A couple who had recently sailed on the Enchanted Princess reported that they both contracted Covid during their trip - one actually had symptoms while on the ship, while the other developed Covid when they returned home. They noted that there were a number of passengers seeking treatment in the ship's medical center during their voyage. The Cruise Critic discussion got pretty heated with some people insisting that the couple couldn't prove that they caught the virus on the ship and that Princess has no obligation to alert passengers when there are Covid cases (or flu, RSV) on the ship. I was going to post the link to the forum here, but the thread was removed. I was interested because we were originally going to sail on the Enchanted Princess next month but canceled our cruise in early September. With Covid still prevalent during the winter months, we are sure that we did the right thing by not putting ourselves in harm's way on a cruise ship with 3600 passengers and 1500 crew.
Wise decision--looks like Covid is ramping up--

It’s a common complaint this winter: After coming down with a respiratory illness, some people feel like they can’t shake a lingering cough or runny nose despite other symptoms going away. Or they start to recover then see symptoms return a week or two later.

Doctors say that course of events isn’t unusual, though it might be more pronounced this year.

Covid, flu and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) are all circulating widely. As of Dec. 16, flu hospitalizations had increased nearly 200% over the previous four weeks. And Covid hospitalizations increased around 40% over the four-week period ending Dec. 9, the latest data available.

NBC News spoke with seven doctors across seven states about why some people’s symptoms can persist for weeks or months. They offered several possible explanations...

This headline sounds like pretty darn good advice.

Holiday travel warning: Don't bring mom a "triple-threat" home for Christmas​

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that the number of COVID-19 JN variant cases more than doubled between late November and mid-December. And RSV and influenza are also in heavy circulation.

"We talked about the triple pandemic. Well, we have it right now. We have three viruses that are circulating."

"Absolutely," said Dr. Herd. "We're seeing it in schools. We're seeing it in places of work. We're seeing it in families."

About 42% of U.S. adults had gotten flu shots by the first week of December, down from about 45% at the same time last year, according to the CDC.

"It looks like we're nowhere near the peak of influenza activity so it may be a long, hard influenza season," Dr. Kahn said.

Wise decision--looks like Covid is ramping up--
I just read another review of a recent sailing on the Enchanted Princess. A couple spent the last two days of their cruise (at sea) in their stateroom because they were both feeling miserable and coughing. They self-medicated and self-quarantined while still on the ship but tested negative for Covid when they got home. They were prescribed Z-paks by their physician, so it's obvious that they contracted some type of bug on the ship. The more I read about the "triple threat" of Covid, flu, and RSV, the happier I am that we're staying home this winter. Better safe than sorry.

I just read another review of a recent sailing on the Enchanted Princess. A couple spent the last two days of their cruise (at sea) in their stateroom because they were both feeling miserable and coughing. They self-medicated and self-quarantined while still on the ship but tested negative for Covid when they got home. They were prescribed Z-paks by their physician, so it's obvious that they contracted some type of bug on the ship. The more I read about the "triple threat" of Covid, flu, and RSV, the happier I am that we're staying home this winter. Better safe than sorry.
It isn't just Covid we have to worry about these days: there is flu and RSV too!! what a lousy way to spend one's time on a cruise (basically confined to one's stateroom-- sick).

"We're seeing some patients with flu and COVID and some patients with the flu and RSV. It's really a smattering of everything at this point in time. It's in all ages of patients. We've seen older patients with a couple different viruses at one time, we've seen younger patients with more than one virus at a time," said Dr. Ross.

I tested positive for Covid over a week ago, so we cancelled our Christmas plans with my son, hoping to do Christmas this weekend.

I knew I wasn’t feeling great yesterday, but needed to know what to plan or not. So went ahead and retested yesterday and I’m still positive.
So basically I’ve had Covid about nine days. I anticipate it being a full +/- two weeks before I’m cleared, hopefully not longer! I didn’t seek treatment, so not sure if that would’ve made any difference.

I tested positive for Covid over a week ago, so we cancelled our Christmas plans with my son, hoping to do Christmas this weekend.

I knew I wasn’t feeling great yesterday, but needed to know what to plan or not. So went ahead and retested yesterday and I’m still positive.
So basically I’ve had Covid about nine days. I anticipate it being a full +/- two weeks before I’m cleared, hopefully not longer! I didn’t seek treatment, so not sure if that would’ve made any difference.
I hate to hear that you had to cancel your plans! I hope you start feeling better and are able to reschedule really soon!!

Take care of yourself, @neesaki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member