Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you track the variants of concerns? I'd like to find a different site than I use:

TIA :)

I have just been tracking them from posts here on this forum! Reading the articles and making a chart and taking a few notes. That's the extent of my tracking! Thanks to everyone who is finding these great MSM articles on what is going on in relation to the virus!

I did a quick Goog and not finding anything about Pirola that's more than a day or so old (They could be there but I did a quick search as I said). These things take time, unfortunately. I too would love to know everything about a new strain the moment it rears its ugly head. :(

Responding to myself to keep things together. Appears that the reason my quick Goog came up with only stuff a few days old is that's when it was reported as a 'variant under monitoring' (8/17).

Looks like BA.2.86/Pirola was first reported less than a month ago.

The BA.2.86 strain was first reported on July 24 and was classified as a ‘variant under monitoring’ on August 17.

I have just been tracking them from posts here on this forum! Reading the articles and making a chart and taking a few notes. That's the extent of my tracking! Thanks to everyone who is finding these great MSM articles on what is going on in relation to the virus!
I like to keep track of the emerging variants because some vaccine centres here (Ireland) can sometimes offer older versions of the vaccine that have not been updated against the newer variants that are most prevalent at the time of vaccination. I suppose they want to use them up and if you don't have a preference or don't ask, that's what you might get. I always check I'm getting the newest one best targeted to what's currently circulating.

I like to keep track of the emerging variants because some vaccine centres here (Ireland) can sometimes offer older versions of the vaccine that have not been updated against the newer variants that are most prevalent at the time of vaccination. I suppose they want to use them up and if you don't have a preference or don't ask, that's what you might get. I always check I'm getting the newest one best targeted to what's currently circulating.
I could be wrong (I'm in the states) but thought only the most current was to be distributed, and the old vaccines (when an updated version comes out) were supposed to be sent back to the maker.

I became aware of this issue when a local vaccine clinic inadvertently administered the old vaccine to the 1st 20 people in line, when they thought there were getting the updated (the first bivalent) vaccine. Since I can't provide proof of that (it was a conversation on my local Nextdoor (an app where you can talk to your neighbors about stuff) so the link wouldn't work for anyone outside of my city) what I just said will have to be MOO.

I could be wrong (I'm in the states) but thought only the most current was to be distributed, and the old vaccines (when an updated version comes out) were supposed to be sent back to the maker.

I became aware of this issue when a local vaccine clinic inadvertently administered the old vaccine to the 1st 20 people in line, when they thought there were getting the updated (the first bivalent) vaccine. Since I can't provide proof of that (it was a conversation on my local Nextdoor (an app where you can talk to your neighbors about stuff) so the link wouldn't work for anyone outside of my city) what I just said will have to be MOO.
Probably that happens in the States but when I went to get my bivalent booster in Jan, I noticed the vaccination centre was offering a few older ones, monovalents and one that was only good against BA1. I wanted and got the bivalent updated to target BA2.

I read about it here first! Two posts today with this information. During the pandemic, I relied on this forum for up-to-the-minute details about COVID :)

I swear by this forum when it comes to COVID 19 information. If not for the advice here, I wouldn't have been as prepared when COVID 19 first came to the US. I had already purchased N95 masks from a veterinary supply company online. Those 2 boxes got me through the entire lockdown. Also a 2 qt bottle of hand sanitizer, a supply of vinyl gloves and a couple large packs of paper towels. I hope I'm not a rarity, but I never got COVID and I don't plan to get it. :)

I wish it was explained how the variant actually affects people. Are the symptoms different? Will it matter to me personally what variant I might catch or is this more of an interest to people studying the virus and figuring it out?

jmo

I have seen posts from people that say that they have this strain and it is a doozy.

Strep throat, ear infection, dizziness and Black outs. Personally, I am nervous.

JMO

I swear by this forum when it comes to COVID 19 information. If not for the advice here, I wouldn't have been as prepared when COVID 19 first came to the US. I had already purchased N95 masks from a veterinary supply company online. Those 2 boxes got me through the entire lockdown. Also a 2 qt bottle of hand sanitizer, a supply of vinyl gloves and a couple large packs of paper towels. I hope I'm not a rarity, but I never got COVID and I don't plan to get it. :)
DH and I haven't had COVID, either. We have completely avoided large, crowded venues since the pandemic began. We've avoided malls and do most of our shopping online. When we go out for dinner, we ask to be seated in a spacious dining area so we are not sitting too close to other patrons. We cancelled a cruise that we had planned for this winter because COVID cases are ticking up, and we know that very little is done onboard to curtail the spread of illness. We'll be happy campers in our lovely home this winter and hope to stay healthy as we are :)

You and me both! I'm playing this "game" to win and that means never catching it!

Good luck to you and EVERYONE here!!!

I have seen posts from people that say that they have this strain and it is a doozy.

Strep throat, ear infection, dizziness and Black outs. Personally, I am nervous.

JMO
I'm really doubting they have this strain we've been talking about today (BA.2.86/Pirola) when many variants circulate at the same time. I say I doubt it because there's only 4 cases in the world that have been documented, and only 1 in the US.

Over the past few days, public health authorities have documented one case each of BA.2.86 in the United States, the UK, and Israel, and three cases in Denmark.

I have Covid for the first time. Seems pretty clear that I got it in airport hotel whilst waiting overnight for flight from NL to South America.

Luckily no family members in NL have been affected.

I started having bone ache and headache on flight (12 hours) but didnt test till following day.

Was more or less ok, then headache, sore throat, muscular and bone ache, ear ache set on, didnt want to open eyes.

Its getting better every day, but still feel exhausted and still testing positive.

IT could be a new variant but no tests available here for the moment.

I have Covid for the first time. Seems pretty clear that I got it in airport hotel whilst waiting overnight for flight from NL to South America.

I started having bone ache and headache on flight (12 hours) but didnt test till following day.

Was more or less ok, then headache, sore throat, muscular and bone ache, ear ache set on, didnt want to open eyes.

Its getting better every day, but still feel exhausted and still testing positive.

I'm sorry you have Covid and have been having such unpleasant symptoms. I hope you will recover fully, and soon!

Sorry to hear you are having these symptoms and hope they lessen soon.
Glad to hear your family members haven't been affected.

Take care of yourself!

NY

NH

At least two hospitals in MA have recently restarted masking requirements.

Be safe folks !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members