Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another one, Pi...

(Edit: I'm now not convinced Pi and Pirola aren't the same strain and that this isn't just confused reporting. Not sure about the BA.6 vs BA.2.86 naming thing, but other than that these variants sound remarkably similar to each other. So take the below with a grain of salt for now. Apologies...)

What is the 'Pi' COVID variant dubbed 'BA.6' ‐- and should we be worried about it?

Another new Omicron variant has got scientists talking.

Although the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the end of COVID-19 as a global health emergency in May, the virus is still widespread - and mutating.

While the EG.5 and EG.5.1 now makes up one in seven cases in the UK, a new heavily-mutated version of Omicron could be another cause for concern.

So far the latest BA.2 "sub-lineage" (coined BA.6 or 'Pi') has only been sequenced a handful of times in Denmark and Israel - but the early differences showing up could mean it has the potential to cause a fresh wave of infections.

(...)

Compared to the original BA.2, the new variant has 33 mutations of the spike protein - the membranes on the outside of the virus that allow it to enter and infect human cells.

(...)

Because of the large number of mutations, it's being referred to as a 'saltation' - a large mutational change from one generation of virus to the next, which was used to describe Omicron when it first emerged.

(...)

Last edited:
Another one, Pi...

(Edit: I'm now not convinced Pi and Pirola aren't the same strain and that this isn't just confused reporting. Not sure about the BA.6 vs BA.2.86 naming thing, but other than that these variants sound remarkably similar to each other. So take the below with a grain of salt for now. Apologies...)

What is the 'Pi' COVID variant dubbed 'BA.6' ‐- and should we be worried about it?

Another new Omicron variant has got scientists talking.

Although the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the end of COVID-19 as a global health emergency in May, the virus is still widespread - and mutating.

While the EG.5 and EG.5.1 now makes up one in seven cases in the UK, a new heavily-mutated version of Omicron could be another cause for concern.

So far the latest BA.2 "sub-lineage" (coined BA.6 or 'Pi') has only been sequenced a handful of times in Denmark and Israel - but the early differences showing up could mean it has the potential to cause a fresh wave of infections.

(...)

Compared to the original BA.2, the new variant has 33 mutations of the spike protein - the membranes on the outside of the virus that allow it to enter and infect human cells.

(...)

Because of the large number of mutations, it's being referred to as a 'saltation' - a large mutational change from one generation of virus to the next, which was used to describe Omicron when it first emerged.

(...)

Update: From everything I've read today, I think both Pi and Pirola are just mooted names for BA.2.86 (or BA.6, as Sky call it). These are not two separate strains. (Although happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.)

If it was to be upgraded to a Variant of Concern, it would get its own Greek letter, possibly Pi, which is next after Omicron. That is just theoretical. These articles are jumping the gun. Even Pirola is just an informal nickname for this Variant under Monitoring. The only official name it seems to have so far is BA.2.86, and the talk of calling it BA.6 is just confusing, to the point that some journalists think there are two new BA variants! This is as much as I can decipher.

NY

NH

At least two hospitals in MA have recently restarted masking requirements.

Be safe folks !
I checked NY's Daily Covid hospital admission stats after reading your post. Just WHOA at how many more over age 70 there are than under age 60! Look at that line! That right there is scary stuff.

1692551023021.png

It surprised me to read that the physician is saying that it will take three months for the fall booster to reach peak efficacy, so if you get the booster this fall, then it will be a peak efficacy in January. I thought that the Covid vaccines and boosters in the past were very effective about two weeks after vaccination.

edited several terms for accuracy

It surprised me to read that the physician is saying that it will take three months for the fall booster to reach peak efficacy, so if you get the booster this fall, then it will be a peak efficacy in January. I thought that the Covid vaccines and boosters in the past were very effective about two weeks after vaccination.

Well, that's sure a huge surprise. I too thought it took only ~2 weeks before they were effective. Hmmmm.... WTH is up with 3 months?? Snippet from article (linked below)

While the new COVID-19 boosters have yet to be approved, Dr. Roberts says anyone who gets a newly formulated booster shot in the fall should expect to have ample protection early in the new year—the shots take about three months to reach peak effectiveness.

Well, that's sure a huge surprise. I too thought it took only ~2 weeks before they were effective. Hmmmm.... WTH is up with 3 months?? Snippet from article (linked below)

While the new COVID-19 boosters have yet to be approved, Dr. Roberts says anyone who gets a newly formulated booster shot in the fall should expect to have ample protection early in the new year—the shots take about three months to reach peak effectiveness.

Hopefully in exchange for the delayed peak effectiveness time, they retain their strength for longer than the previous ones? Maybe for a year? Would be so nice to only need one once a year...

Three months to reach peak effectiveness reads to me that booster is effective before that, but not at full effect until three months.

I want the next booster. My husband just got over a bout with covid. He has not been boosted and it knocked him out for a few days. So far I have zero symptoms. (We are out of tests at home so not sure if I caught it or not but I feel perfectly fine, knock on wood.)

jmo

Three months to reach peak effectiveness reads to me that booster is effective before that, but not at full effect until three months.

I want the next booster. My husband just got over a bout with covid. He has not been boosted and it knocked him out for a few days. So far I have zero symptoms. (We are out of tests at home so not sure if I caught it or not but I feel perfectly fine, knock on wood.)

jmo

In the past, though, experts were saying that at about three to four months, the vaccine and booster effectiveness has waned, and the CDC advised that people could get a booster if two months had passed since their last vaccine dose. And experts said that two weeks after the vaccine shot then people were "completely protected", with the process of waning effectivenss presumably starting shortly thereafter.

I realize that a booster shot is different, but three months seems like a long time. I will wait to hear guidance on this from the CDC when they are ready to roll out the new booster. It will be important to time the effectiveness of the booster with the Christmas holidays when travel is at its highest of the year. It seems that mid-September would be the ideal booster time since that would be close to the peak travel period in the U.S. and globally.

Sorry to hear about your husband, but glad to hear that he is recovering, hope he is doing better.

jmo
Yes, I read it that way as well (that the upcoming vaccine will not be at full effect until three months). However, it used to be 2 weeks, not 3 months, which is why I said in my post "Well, that's sure a huge surprise. I too thought it took only ~2 weeks before they were effective. WTH is up with 3 months??".

How long does it take for the COVID-19 vaccine to work?

Regardless of which vaccine you get, you won’t reach full protection until two weeks after your second or final dose. That’s about how long it takes your immune system to mount an antibody response to the vaccine.

All vaccines work this way. Think of it in terms of when you have a cold—it takes your body a good amount of time to rid itself of what’s making you sick. A vaccine is essentially faking out your immune system and triggering a similar response.

You know, I'm starting to question this whole 3 months full efficacy "fact". I'm not sure I believe it. Granted, I haven't done hours of research but I did look at dozens of articles and can't find anyone else, other than Dr. Roberts from Yale Medicine, that says it will take 3 months for the upcoming booster.

Here's what got me to thinking... how does he KNOW that it takes 3 months? In the past, Moderna/Pfizer/etc. knew how long it took AFTER that time had passed (2 weeks) because they had actual factual data. This guy does not have actual factual data because the vaccine hasn't been made and tested at this time. I really hope he's not spreading disinformation on something as important as Covid.

Due to that I will be contacting the CDC and asking them about this. I will get back to you all with their answer as I have in the past. :)

More info talking about full protection after two weeks:

These doses are given as injections and offer full protection two weeks after the second dose, the CDC says. The data suggest that after the first dose, some immune response is present in about two weeks.

A CDC report that tracked almost 4,000 healthcare personnel, first responders, and other frontline workers under real-world conditions found that the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) were 80% effective at least 14 days following the first dose and 90% effective at least two weeks after the second dose.

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this. :) Stay tuned!

I got an answer from the CDC in regards to my Q of whether or not it now takes 3 months, or if Dr. Roberts was spreading disinformation. Looks like we can put that to rest and move on with what we all know is the correct info (2 wks!) I KNEW that had to be wrong because he couldn't have info about a vaccine that hasn't even been created, tested, nor has 3 months passed! It makes me wonder if AI was used to write that article because I've seen 3 months used a lot for Covid info after searching for an answer to this Q, but the 3 months wasn't about how long it took for full immunity. Many of you have said that this is where you turn to for the most accurate info (well, after the CDC on this topic. lol)

I also asked if they'd contact Yale Medicine if it turned out he was spreading disinformation. They were polite in their response about that. :) Looks like they want me to report his disinformation (color changed to red below).

Quoting myself to keep things together (the link to disinformation in my Quoted post. I wonder if over time they will correct it to read 2 weeks).

1692721515867.png
Here is the rest of the email pasted (not a SS like above) so links are live, starting with the link you see above, but not the text in the rest of the last sentence:

COVID-19 Vaccination.

CDC comment on outside information

CDC appreciates your taking the time to contact CDC-INFO about this issue and letting us know your concerns.

You can check CDC's website for updates and confirmed information, including any official media statements or press releases on the CDC Newsroom Web page.

You may also contact your state or local health department for information specific to your area. You can locate your health department information on the CDC website: CDC - State and Territorial Health Departments - STLT Gateway. You can also continue to check credible national and local news sources for any of the latest guidance.

We can only provide information from CDC resources, which is based on the best available science. For information from other global or national public health organizations, please contact them directly about their statements.

Because recommendations can change when new research findings become available, CDC's and others' guidance may change in the future. When new or updated public health information is available, it is posted on CDC's website.

To learn more, these additional links might also have relevant information for you. The CDC website is updated regularly, please check back to get most up to date information.
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination

How to Protect Yourself and Others
COVID-19 and Your Health

CDC Newsroom
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
CDC Newsroom

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Rose
CDC-INFO Correspondence Team

I got an answer from the CDC in regards to my Q of whether or not it now takes 3 months, or if Dr. Roberts was spreading disinformation. Looks like we can put that to rest and move on with what we all know is the correct info (2 wks!) I KNEW that had to be wrong because he couldn't have info about a vaccine that hasn't even been created, tested, nor has 3 months passed! It makes me wonder if AI was used to write that article because I've seen 3 months used a lot for Covid info after searching for an answer to this Q, but the 3 months wasn't about how long it took for full immunity. Many of you have said that this is where you turn to for the most accurate info (well, after the CDC on this topic. lol)

I also asked if they'd contact Yale Medicine if it turned out he was spreading disinformation. They were polite in their response about that. :) Looks like they want me to report his disinformation (color changed to red below).

Quoting myself to keep things together (the link to disinformation in my Quoted post. I wonder if over time they will correct it to read 2 weeks).

View attachment 442344
Here is the rest of the email pasted (not a SS like above) so links are live, starting with the link you see above, but not the text in the rest of the last sentence:

COVID-19 Vaccination.

CDC comment on outside information

CDC appreciates your taking the time to contact CDC-INFO about this issue and letting us know your concerns.

You can check CDC's website for updates and confirmed information, including any official media statements or press releases on the CDC Newsroom Web page.

You may also contact your state or local health department for information specific to your area. You can locate your health department information on the CDC website: CDC - State and Territorial Health Departments - STLT Gateway. You can also continue to check credible national and local news sources for any of the latest guidance.

We can only provide information from CDC resources, which is based on the best available science. For information from other global or national public health organizations, please contact them directly about their statements.

Because recommendations can change when new research findings become available, CDC's and others' guidance may change in the future. When new or updated public health information is available, it is posted on CDC's website.

To learn more, these additional links might also have relevant information for you. The CDC website is updated regularly, please check back to get most up to date information.

How to Protect Yourself and Others
COVID-19 and Your Health

CDC Newsroom
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
CDC Newsroom

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Rose
CDC-INFO Correspondence Team
Thank you for following up.

scott.c.roberts@yale.edu
Thanks, @BetteDavisEyes. Right now I can't figure out if Dr. Roberts actually said it takes 3 months, or if the person writing the article, Kathy Katella, misquoted him. I say that because Google only found ONE instance of what was supposed to be one of his quotes in Kathy's article.

The quote I Googed for, since it has quote marks around it, and the '3 month' comment in the article does not, is halfway down the linked article of Kathy's below: “These summer COVID-19 spikes have occurred for the past three years, most likely because more people are traveling,” says Dr. Roberts

I need some time to do more research. I might email her and CC him, since it appears she might be the culprit. But first more research to see what I can find.

I'm not sure how widespread this is among campuses in USA, but I just ran across this:

Atlanta college reinstates COVID-19 mask mandate as students return to city​

This is a little old so will see if I can find my local Uni's covid page that I thought I had saved. It was updated daily, if necessary. But I did find this on their page:

Effective June 16, 2023, <my> will no longer require proof of COVID-19 vaccination.

---

NEW: Starting April 3, 2023, employees, patients and visitors within campus health care settings will no longer be required to wear masks.

ETA - I found their page and what I posted above appears to be the most current info. They don't appear to be doing the near daily posting of rules (but they were changing a lot in the beginning).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member