Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree that people may "feel" just fine after recovering from covid, that does not mean the virus isn't still in their bodies waiting to cause problems in the future.

Problems meaning anything from short- or long-term reduced ability to fight off OTHER diseases, to "mystery" fatigue/brain fog etc, to direct covid-related issues (heart, lungs, anything blood-vessel related) later in life.

Just as a child who recovers from chicken pox "feels fine" for decades but is still vulnerable to shingles later in life, due to the virus remaining in their body the whole time.

MOO

I recovered just fine from spending six days in the hospital with covid pneumonia in Jan. 2021. I received excellent care and all the standard meds being used for Covid that President Trump received. BUT exactly a year later, in Jan. 2022 (when I was 76), I ended up in the hospital again, this time with congestive heart failure. I had never had heart trouble before. My mother had angina, but AKAIK nothing else heart-related. I’m pretty convinced my heart issues were caused by Covid, and even more so after reading this article. I asked my cardiologist at my first appointment, and he said “It’s hard to tell.” I’m sure it is, and there’s probably not much value in knowing. But it’s certainly valuable to know the damage that is possible and that may show up later IMO.

This is interesting…and in contrast with CDC recommendations, from two states that were known for being very cautious during the height of Covid.

People who test positive for Covid-19 in California and Oregon are no longer expected to isolate for a set period of time — and those without symptoms don’t have to isolate at all, state policies now say. People with symptoms can return to school or work once their symptoms are improving and they’ve been fever-free for at least 24 hours, according to the state policies.
<snip>
Recent data from Oregon suggest the policy change has had minimal effect on virus trends. The state has seen a surge this winter, like the rest of the country, but Covid-19 hospitalization rates and emergency department visits have stayed below the national average, according to data from the CDC.

Last edited:
This is interesting…and in contrast with CDC recommendations from two states that were known for being very cautious during the height of Covid.

People who test positive for Covid-19 in California and Oregon are no longer expected to isolate for a set period of time — and those without symptoms don’t have to isolate at all, state policies now say. People with symptoms can return to school or work once their symptoms are improving and they’ve been fever-free for at least 24 hours, according to the state policies.
<snip>
Recent data from Oregon suggest the policy change has had minimal effect on virus trends. The state has seen a surge this winter, like the rest of the country, but Covid-19 hospitalization rates and emergency department visits have stayed below the national average, according to data from the CDC.
Wow. I hadn't heard that about Oregon, just Calif which I sent to my family that lives there.

Then this comedian posted this 'joke'. :( It just feels like that's where we're at and it's not a joke. :(

This is interesting…and in contrast with CDC recommendations from two states that were known for being very cautious during the height of Covid.

<snip>

We (Australia) haven't been required to isolate for some time now. They just "recommend" some isolation.
I don't know if everyone actually follows the recommendations ... or if they even test to see if their sniffles and feeling unwell is actually covid.
But we are pretty much all vaccinated, with free ongoing boosters still being offered to (and taken up by) the elderly and immunocompromised.

(Please note, this is guidance for Australia)
While isolation is no longer a legal requirement, if you test positive for COVID-19, staying at home protects the people in your community.
If you test positive, you should not visit high-risk settings like hospitals and aged and disability care settings:
  • for at least 7 days or until symptoms have gone
  • unless seeking immediate medical care.
To help protect those around you, we recommend:

Last edited:
Although these are possible effects of Covid-19 and some individuals may have some of these effects, we need also to remember that some individuals get Covid-19 and after symptoms clear they are just fine.
But do we really know if they are just fine? (I'm hoping not to sound argumentative. :)) If our bodies have dealt with inflammation, loss of brain cells, diabetes, etc., it just feels to me like it's too soon to know if they are actually fine once Covid has run its course. I'm thinking those issues can cause all sorts of nasties to pop up in the future. :( IOW... a perfectly healthy and young person that had Covid might end up with all sorts of health issues down the road vs if they had never had Covid. I think it's just too soon to know the answer to that. All MOO

That's correct. And what causes it to reactivate into shingles? Probably many things, maybe some of which we don't even know yet. Stress is one I'm aware of. And now I'm reading that covid can also reactivate the shingles virus.

I also think we are learning that covid itself often remains in the body long after the acute infection has gone. Whether it will reappear years down the road in whatever unknown form, we don't yet know.

Herpes is another one, I believe, that once you have it, the virus remains in your body, whether active with symptoms or not.
Interestingly, both the varicella zoster virus (chickenpox, shingles) and the Epstein-Barr virus (which causes mono) are two of the nine viruses in the herpes family. It makes sense when you really think about it because herpes viruses can cause both latent or “active” infections.

Yet another person who took advantage of Covid funds. And stealing funds meant to purchase supplies for his own tribe. They get so little money on reservations as it is, and it seems like so much of it is skimmed, to profit people at the top.

I am glad he was caught.

The updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine was approximately 54% effective against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection in adults, and was also effective against the JN.1 variant, which became predominant in January, CDC researchers said.

Overall, vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic COVID was 57% for people ages 18 to 49 years and 46% for people ages 50 and older, reported Ruth Link-Gelles, PhD, of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, and colleagues in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report

The updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine was approximately 54% effective against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection in adults, and was also effective against the JN.1 variant, which became predominant in January, CDC researchers said.

Overall, vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic COVID was 57% for people ages 18 to 49 years and 46% for people ages 50 and older, reported Ruth Link-Gelles, PhD, of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, and colleagues in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
But does "effective" mean reduced symptoms, or does it refer to preventing infection altogether?

But does "effective" mean reduced symptoms, or does it refer to preventing infection altogether?
All the above?

“Vaccine effectiveness is a measure of how well vaccination protects people against health outcomes such as infection, symptomatic illness, hospitalization, and death.”

Vaccine Effectiveness Studies | CDC

Yeah. Nice. Get Covid, get back to work. I remember last year, when I finally got Covid, and was sick literally for 3 months. Chronic fatigue, coughing. My supervisor at work didn't care about my testing positive for Covid, it was like, whatever, be back to work on Monday.

So much for having a month off or so until you test negative.

This is for the US, not sure how other countries are deciding to handle this.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is considering whether to recommend yet another Covid booster shot this spring, especially for people most at risk for severe complications of the illness.

A spring booster would be the same vaccine that was approved last fall, which was formulated to target the XBB.1.5 subvariant. The vaccine is also very effective against the JN.1 subvariant, which is causing almost all Covid infections in the U.S. right now.

I’m in South Australia. We were mandated to have 3 vaccines or lose our jobs. So I got 3 vaccines and I now have Covid the second time around. Day 4 and 5 were the worst and I’m still so fatigued. I don’t think the vaccines are effective at all. IMO.

I’m in South Australia. We were mandated to have 3 vaccines or lose our jobs. So I got 3 vaccines and I now have Covid the second time around. Day 4 and 5 were the worst and I’m still so fatigued. I don’t think the vaccines are effective at all. IMO.
May I ask when you got your 3 vaccines @Mandala? I'm guessing in the beginning, and not any recent ones? The most recent one's formula (Sept 2023) was updated for what is currently going around and no longer contains the formula for the original strain, as that wouldn't be effective for what's currently going around. Hence the updated formula.

And they are effective, but for what they were designed to do.

They don't prevent infection which a lot of people think mistakenly. Below is one such statement of what they do. Bolding by me.

COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective at reducing the risk of severe infections, being hospitalized, and dying from COVID-19.

And from the CDC:

CDC data have demonstrated that original COVID-19 vaccines can help protect against being put on a ventilator and/or death for up to 2 years and bivalent COVID-19 vaccines also provide sustained protection against critical illness and death. Even with this sustained protection it is important that you get your updated COVID-19 vaccine since it can provide additional protection. Additional vaccine effectiveness data against emergency department/urgent care visits and hospitalizations will be shared as they become available.

Vaccination remains the best protection against COVID-19-related hospitalization and death. Vaccination also reduces your chance of suffering the effects of Long COVID, which can develop during or following acute infection and last for an extended duration

COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness - What's New | CDC

Also note that since Covid is mutating at what feels like breakneck speed, today's virus isn't the same as the initital virus, which won't be the same as mutated Covid down the road. Due to that it's a good idea to stay up to date on vaccines IMO. :)

As for my feelings about it.. I HATE vaccines, or any meds, actually. But, I've been current on every Covid vaccine as I really don't want to deal with a ventilator, or a hospital stay, death, or brain fog as I really need my faculties about me.

May I ask when you got your 3 vaccines @Mandala? I'm guessing in the beginning, and not any recent ones? The most recent one's formula (Sept 2023) was updated for what is currently going around and no longer contains the formula for the original strain, as that wouldn't be effective for what's currently going around. Hence the updated formula.

And they are effective, but for what they were designed to do.

They don't prevent infection which a lot of people think mistakenly. Below is one such statement of what they do. Bolding by me.

COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective at reducing the risk of severe infections, being hospitalized, and dying from COVID-19.

And from the CDC:

CDC data have demonstrated that original COVID-19 vaccines can help protect against being put on a ventilator and/or death for up to 2 years and bivalent COVID-19 vaccines also provide sustained protection against critical illness and death. Even with this sustained protection it is important that you get your updated COVID-19 vaccine since it can provide additional protection. Additional vaccine effectiveness data against emergency department/urgent care visits and hospitalizations will be shared as they become available.

Vaccination remains the best protection against COVID-19-related hospitalization and death. Vaccination also reduces your chance of suffering the effects of Long COVID, which can develop during or following acute infection and last for an extended duration

COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness - What's New | CDC

Also note that since Covid is mutating at what feels like breakneck speed, today's virus isn't the same as the initital virus, which won't be the same as mutated Covid down the road. Due to that it's a good idea to stay up to date on vaccines IMO. :)

As for my feelings about it.. I HATE vaccines, or any meds, actually. But, I've been current on every Covid vaccine as I really don't want to deal with a ventilator, or a hospital stay, death, or brain fog as I really need my faculties about me.
Thanks for your post, Gemmie! Thanks also for your post about the spring booster. I got the fall booster in mid October and will gladly get another shot this spring.

Well that’s disappointing.

Yeah. Nice. Get Covid, get back to work. I remember last year, when I finally got Covid, and was sick literally for 3 months. Chronic fatigue, coughing. My supervisor at work didn't care about my testing positive for Covid, it was like, whatever, be back to work on Monday.

So much for having a month off or so until you test negative.
Yeah, I noticed something like that as well. I had Covid, for the first time right before Christmas . I had one positive test, and a second one a week later as well. I wasn’t that sick then. Basically like a bad head cold, slight cough and some fatigue .
Until I got Bronchitis and a major sinus infection. So that’s when I went to the urgent care walk in facility because I was getting sicker…. Coughing all night , etc. Eventually I had to go back for more antibiotics and stronger Prednisone. I was sick for a full two months. Not whining… really, I’d had bronchitis 10 years earlier and pretty much the same situation. I just think the Covid knocks down your immune system and whatever your weakness is, it’ll take advantage. And mine is sinusitis which can lead to bronchitis.

What struck me was, they didn’t care to test me for Covid. And had no inquiry about it, nor even showed any concern about it. Not a single person wore a mask in the entire facility. They basically brushed it off. So, I’m like, ok then. I guess it’s no big deal.
But still, I guess I’m a little surprised. The impression I got was they aren’t concerned with Covid. They didn’t care to test me. I guess they just took my word that I had two positive tests, then accepted my word that my last test was negative…… and that’s it.
I’m beginning to think the medical industry is beginning to classify Covid along the lines of the common cold or the flu.
Has anyone else had this type of experience? Thats really the impression they gave me. I just don’t think they’re concerned with Covid anymore. And this was my experience at two different medical facilities. JMO

Last edited:
Well that’s disappointing.
I hear ya. I too wish there could be higher stats on the positive side. But, it is a novel virus. And we're 4+ years into it and they still don't know everything they'd like to about it. Gathering information takes time but they are gathering it.

It's no different than the flu shot if you think about it. Only the flu isn't novel.

Reviews of past studies have found that the flu vaccine lowers the risk of flu illness by 40% to 60% when the vaccine matches the spreading flu viruses. Even when the vaccine doesn't completely prevent the flu, it may lessen the severity of your illness.

It's all about lessening the severity IMO.

Also, only ONE human infectious disease has been eradicated through vaccination: Smallpox. ONE!!! So, I'm thankful that the covid vaccine helps with severe illness, hospitalization, and death. That's good enough for me (IMO).

To date, smallpox remains the only human disease that has been eradicated.

While I'd love for it to be the 2nd disease eradicateD through vaccine I'm not disappointed with what it does, which is a lot IMO.

The covid vaccines need more love IMO. They are doing a good job. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay