Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We've been offered both flu and Covid boosters at the same time for the past two years. We also prefer to get the flu shot one day and return for the Covid injection a couple of weeks later. The combination injection is probably more convenient for those who have to drive some distance to get their annual flu and/or Covid shots.
It's more than convenience in my eyes.

Moderna says its combination COVID and flu vaccine tested better than separate shots

Moderna announced Monday that its combination COVID and flu vaccine showed positive results in a late-stage trial.

The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based biotech company said
the mRNA-1083 vaccine produced a higher immune response in older adults than the separate shots that were co-administered in the study.

Full article here: Moderna says its combination COVID and flu vaccine tested better than separate shots

ETA - This combo shot won't be available until the fall of 2025, so a year out.

Last edited:
It's more than convenience in my eyes.

Moderna says its combination COVID and flu vaccine tested better than separate shots

Moderna announced Monday that its combination COVID and flu vaccine showed positive results in a late-stage trial.

The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based biotech company said
the mRNA-1083 vaccine produced a higher immune response in older adults than the separate shots that were co-administered in the study.

Full article here: Moderna says its combination COVID and flu vaccine tested better than separate shots
I feel a little apprehensive about this combo shot, because not only have I had side effects (normal, but still unpleasant -- fever and aches for a day or two) from the Moderna vax (as opposed to no reaction to Pfizer so have been opting for those when possible), but for the past two years I have also had mild but similar reactions to the flu shot!

But if they do work better together, and if offered in my area, I will take the combined shot, making sure I have nothing but resting planned for the few days following.

A few things stood out to me from the article you posted:

We are also seeing more of the so-called ‘Novids’ or those who’ve never had COVID getting it now.”

The surge is affecting people across all ages, although most do not require hospitalization, Hudson said. Those who are hospitalized tend to be older and more likely to have compromised immune systems, she added.

Experts attribute the rise to the variant’s increased transmissibility and its abilities to evade some immune defenses, combined with a general decline in immunity within the population.

I feel a little apprehensive about this combo shot, because not only have I had side effects (normal, but still unpleasant -- fever and aches for a day or two) from the Moderna vax (as opposed to no reaction to Pfizer so have been opting for those when possible), but for the past two years I have also had mild but similar reactions to the flu shot!

But if they do work better together, and if offered in my area, I will take the combined shot, making sure I have nothing but resting planned for the few days following.
I think that it won't be 2X the side effects (so not twice as bad for the combo shot). But, if you get them separately, like weeks apart, then you're dealing with the side effects twice. Here's what Moderna said about that:

Moderna also said the combination was found to be safe and tolerable in the latest study, and that rates of adverse side effects were similar to those of the other vaccines used in the trial. The most common side effects were injection site pain, fatigue, muscle aches and headache, Moderna said.

Looks like Covid is alive and well on cruise ships. We cancelled our January 2024 cruise for several reasons, fear of Covid among them. We haven't been away from home since January/February 2023 and will not cancel our January 2025 cruise. We'll get our flu and Covid shots in the fall and avoid places where there are crowds. Due to my asthma, I've always donned a mask when flying, and we avoid crowded venues onboard the ship. We request private seating in the dining room, rarely go to theatre performances, and stay away from crowded lounges or other entertainment venues. We absolutely never go to the buffet, don't sit in hot tubs, and use the adults only pool that isn't ever crowded. We've taken many cruises and haven't gotten sick. In cabin with covid

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daniellelacy
Back