Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lyles competes in Olympics despite having COVID

Lyles kept the news of his diagnosis in a tight circle; his family, medical staff, and coach knew, he said after the race. “We didn't want everybody to go into a panic,” he said. “We wanted to be able to make it as discreet as possible. You never want to tell your competitors you're sick. Why would you give them an edge over you?”

In a statement, the sport’s governing body USA Track & Field (USATF) said that it and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) stood by Lyles’ decision to compete. “Our primary commitment is to ensure the safety of Team USA athletes while upholding their right to compete,” USATF said in a statement. “After a thorough medical evaluation, Noah chose to compete tonight. We respect his decision and will continue to monitor his condition closely. As an organization, we are rigorously adhering to CDC, USOPC, and IOC guidelines for respiratory illnesses to prevent the spread of illness among team members, safeguarding their health and performance.”

@IceIce9 Personally I think the desire to retain as much competitive edge as possible by not telling his competitors, should have been outweighed by the conscientiousness needed to not risk passing it along to his nearby competitors and team members.

If he had a sprained ankle and decided to run anyway, sure, don't tell the others to avoid a psychological negative. But a contagious disease that for some is life threatening? Heck no.

@IceIce9 Personally I think the desire to retain as much competitive edge as possible by not telling his competitors, should have been outweighed by the conscientiousness needed to not risk passing it along to his nearby competitors and team members.

If he had a sprained ankle and decided to run anyway, sure, don't tell the others to avoid a psychological negative. But a contagious disease that for some is life threatening? Heck no.
I thought it was a very selfish decision for him to compete knowing that he had COVID. JMO

I had been watching the news with a friend when we saw the report that Lyles had competed when he knew he had COVID. We both just looked at each other, fairly shocked. Especially since the local sportscaster was presenting the story in a “wow Lyles is just so brave” manner.

Well, this is sure good news. It's just not making me throw away my masks.

Covid deaths in the U.S. fell 69% between 2022 - 2023, putting the disease as the 10th leading cause of death last year, down from fourth in 2022.

It was 1.6% of the country's total in 2023, and 5.7% of the total in 2022.

I thought it was a very selfish decision for him to compete knowing that he had COVID. JMO

I had been watching the news with a friend when we saw the report that Lyles had competed when he knew he had COVID. We both just looked at each other, fairly shocked. Especially since the local sportscaster was presenting the story in a “wow Lyles is just so brave” manner.

Ditto. *sigh*

Not to mention, there does seem to be a link between people doing strong exercise while actively having Covid or returning to strong exercise immediately after and Long Covid. They are working on research.

With him already having asthma, he's already at higher risk for complications to start with. :(

Very selfish decision

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I'm fine with people choosing to accept risks to their own health or safety, but not when it puts others at risk, and *especially* when the public is not even aware they are being put at risk.

If people don't want to mask, fine, but they should then stay home, not be permitted to go into crowded public situations where they pose risks to everyone else.

If someone "doesn't want to" stop when the traffic light is red, they better not put themselves out on the road where other traffic will be surprised by someone who just doesn't feel like following basic public health and safety rules.

That's "doing it my way".

Last edited by a moderator:
Long Covid continues to evade a clear diagnostic test, researchers reported in a study published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The findings are part of the National Institute of Health’s RECOVER Initiative, a billion-dollar-plus effort launched in 2021 to research causes and treatments for the estimated 17 million Americans with long Covid.

Monday’s study used data from more than 10,000 patients at 83 clinical sites around the country. The researchers looked at a number of lab results from the patients, including routine blood counts; kidney and liver tests results; and markers of inflammation in the body. They found no differences between those with long Covid and those without the condition...

Last edited:
Long Covid continues to evade a clear diagnostic test, researchers reported in a study published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The findings are part of the National Institute of Health’s RECOVER Initiative, a billion-dollar-plus effort launched in 2021 to research causes and treatments for the estimated 17 million Americans with long Covid.

Monday’s study used data from more than 10,000 patients at 83 clinical sites around the country. The researchers looked at a number of lab results from the patients, including routine blood counts; kidney and liver tests results; and markers of inflammation in the body. They found no differences between those with long Covid and those without the condition...
That is really unfortunate-- hopefully, eventually they will find a clear diagnostic test-

With Covid cases surging this summer, the upcoming rollout of updated vaccines in the fall raises an important question: Will they arrive in time to make a difference?

Covid waves haven’t followed a seasonal, predictable pattern like the flu, which typically starts spreading in the fall and peaks in late winter and spring. Flu shots, which take two weeks to be fully protective, are generally recommended in September or October.

The new Covid vaccines, which target the KP.2 strain, a descendant of the highly contagious JN.1 variant that emerged last winter, are expected to be distributed in the coming weeks...

That is really unfortunate-- hopefully, eventually they will find a clear diagnostic test-

Maybe. Meanwhile, medical professionals advise to "exercise and diet". Great plan. When I feel well enough to take a shower I will take up an exercise plan. They just don't "get" it. I was offered antidepressant medications, I am not depressed.

Long Covid is confusing, as some days, you feel completely normal. Few and far between, but they happen. You have to be careful not to over do...or you will be exhausted for the next two weeks.

I don't blame the medical community, it is new to them.

Maybe. Meanwhile, medical professionals advise to "exercise and diet". Great plan. When I feel well enough to take a shower I will take up an exercise plan. They just don't "get" it. I was offered antidepressant medications, I am not depressed.

Long Covid is confusing, as some days, you feel completely normal. Few and far between, but they happen. You have to be careful not to over do...or you will be exhausted for the next two weeks.

I don't blame the medical community, it is new to them.
Long Covid is one huge reason I describe Covid as evil.
I am sorry you developed this nasty complication of Covid and wish for you that as time goes on you will begin to feel better and that the medical community finds some answers

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo
Back