Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colorado Ramps Up Coronavirus Response As Reported Cases Double In One Day, High Country Becomes ‘Hot Spot’

“The press conference follows the governor declaring a state of emergency on Tuesday which opened the door for more dramatic government actions. That included a new emergency rule that requires service and hospitality businesses to offer four days of paid leave for workers being tested for COVID-19, the disease.”

[...]

“As you know, our team has been preparing for this situation for months," Polis said. "This will get worse before it gets better."

Polis announced Wednesday the state would enact emergency rules limiting visitation to nursing facilities as well as directing CDHS to direct emergency policies for senior centers, veterans centers and the state hospital.

Polis also said the state would recommend school closures for 72 hours in cases where a positive case has been identified in a school.”

BBM:

“This case, a 56-year-old man who traveled recently, is the first announced in Miami-Dade.

Earlier Wednesday, a 70-year-old man in Broward County -- its sixth case overall -- was also tested positive for the virus. Health officials said he traveled to Tampa for an EMS conference last week. A 63-year-old resident of New York, who is currently in St. John's County, was also tested positive. He traveled from New York to Daytona Bike Week. All three are isolated.”

——

“Gimenez said the emergency declaration goes into effect on Thursday, and he will also be announcing decisions on public events such as the Miami Open, an international tennis tournament held at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.”

COVID-19 patient in Miami-Dade remains on home quarantine, mayor says

We all knew Bike Week in Daytona Beach was going to be a disaster when it was reported they didn't cancel.

"The new coronavirus can live in the air for several hours and on some surfaces for as long as two to three days, tests by U.S. government and other scientists have found."

"They found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."
Tests show new virus lives on some surfaces for up to 3 days

Harvard Professor:

Fellow biomedical scientists: if you have Viral RNA isolation kits in your lab, due to shortages local or regional hospitals may soon be in dire need for diagnostics.
Consider reaching out to their micro labs and letting them know you have them and are willing to donate/lend.

I say this because I just received a request from a Boston-area hospital. RNA isolation kits are running low, and are becoming the limiting factor in testing.

Michael Baym on Twitter

Man...

As mentioned in early threads, I saw one video where they literally welded the doors shut. I saw another one where people were sealing a front door with duct tape...

Yup, and if the police came back and found the duct tape seal broken, people were dragged, clawing at the door, then thrown into a tiny box in the back of a pickup and hauled off to "isolation camp"

Ready for that America??!! LISTEN! ISOLATE IF YOUR FREAKING SICK or CONTAMINATED WITH THE VIRUS!

“One reported case was a Denver International Airport maintenance worker. Nine of those alone were in Pitkin County, and Polis called that area a "hot spot."

"We can confirm community spread in the high country," Polis said. "A single person can spread this virus to tens, dozens of individuals."

He also said that community spread is suspected in the Denver metro area, and that other states saw "stealth" spread before larger numbers of cases were reported.

"(Public health officials advised me that) we are likely on the verge of a tipping point where we will likely see more community spread in the days and weeks ahead," he said.

Resort and mountain communities will be hit hardest first, Polis said. They have "limited surge capacity." The governor advises that people over 60 or with chronic health avoid unnecessary travel to high country outbreak areas and attending large public events.”

Colorado Ramps Up Coronavirus Response As Reported Cases Double In One Day, High Country Becomes ‘Hot Spot’

(There goes my bright idea of retreating into the mountain towns...)

Schools, colleges and other public facilities in the Republic of Ireland are to close in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) Leo Varadkar said the measures would take effect from 18:00 on Thursday to 29 March.

The first death linked to coronavirus has been recorded in the Republic of Ireland.

The elderly woman died in a Dublin hospital on Wednesday.

Mr Varadkar said schools, colleges and childcare facilities will close from Friday.

He said indoor mass gatherings of more than 100 people and outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled.

He added that where it is possible to work remotely people should do so.

Mr Varadkar said the public and businesses needed to take a sensible approach, adding that the Irish cabinet would meet later and that Northern Ireland and GB would be briefed.
Schools and colleges to close in Republic of Ireland

Anybody here feel nervous? I do. That’s the best way I can describe it. Or actually, more like dread. Have that sick feeling in my gut.

We will go through various feelings and stages I’m sure.

I’m going to go off and look for something happy to post to help offset the energy.

ETA:

Some beauty this morning as we talk about sickness and death all day (again) / Please enjoy this lovely wildflower photo from the mountains of Colorado
3ae4f6f230378ac245632e6168281667-768x512.jpg

Source

Last edited:
BBM:
The irony is that if we don’t implement aggressive community interventions and mitigate the spread of the virus already in the United States, we will end up infecting or reinfecting Europe. #coronavirus
Julia Gill on Twitter

Yep. The ole “back flow”, or “ping pong ball” as I call it. That’s what happened with Italy and China, etc.

Colorado Springs nursing homes take precautions amid COVID-19 concerns - KRDO

“Some nursing homes here in Colorado Springs tell us they've been working on a plan to combat the virus since the outbreak started in China in December.

"We are currently receiving regular updates on the latest admission screening guidelines and infection control protocols," said Lori Mayer, a spokesperson for Pikes Peak Center nursing home, in a statement. "Everything we are doing is in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Public Health."”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13