Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here feel nervous? I do. That’s the best way I can describe it. Or actually, more like dread. Have that sick feeling in my gut.

We will go through various feelings and stages I’m sure.

I’m going to go off and look for something happy to post to help offset the energy.

I woke up this morning sick to my stomach over this. .

My office is having a "pot luck" breakfast today for someone's birthday. All I can do now is shake my head and close my office door.

No one is getting it, no one understands. We need Dr. Fauci to get on a national TV SPECIAL REPORT, just like the President last night, and explain the virus and how highly contagious it is. After last night's President's address, people STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND.

REDUCE YOUR RISK...STAY HOME WHENEVER POSSIBLE!

Reducing social interactions will be crucial for slowing
COVID-19. In UK 20-50 year olds, majority of interactions happen in workplace; in over 60s, many (including those involving physical contact) happen outside household. More from @petrakle et al here: https://t.co/Hu3So8XNt4 Adam Kucharski on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_075740.png
    IMG_20200312_075740.png
    137 KB · Views: 6
Thanks everyone for all the informative info. My go to place. I think the biggest fear I have are others taking this seriously? Others who can put me at risk and my loved one's? I know many are not. Those who are sticking their heads in the sand do they not care what they can pass on to those of us in higher risk categories? Scary times we live in.

From what I’ve seen thus far, the majority still don’t see this issue for what it is. There is some heightened concern, but most still consider this outbreak as something that will possibly cause some inconvenience. IMO, the overall reaction thus far is due to a culmination of things:

• We’re accustomed to headlines from around the world that are horrifying in nature - so there’s a level of “numbness” to bad news
  • News articles and headlines often blow things out of proportion in order to promote viewership - so there’s also a level of “the little boy that cried wolf”
  • Most of us are accustomed to a society that has been insulated from large scale national disasters - think of 9/11 - not to minimize that terrible event in any way whatsoever, but there are parts of this world that have seen medium to large scale wars for years on end, yet the single event of 9/11 momentarily knocked the wind out of us as a country. The shock that was felt remains with most of us to this day.
  • Outside of Websleuths, there’s a lot of conflicting information being thrown around, and the information provided tends to report how bad the virus is elsewhere - not so much in regards to how bad it could be locally....
  • Which leads to a lot of denial (not to mention that 2.4% doesn’t sound like a catastrophe unless it’s put into full context)
With all that being said, I’m hoping that the President’s announcement, the WHO’s declaration of a pandemic, and the multiple cancellations of extremely large events will bring about a realization of what’s in store. With the US trajectory mirroring that of Italy’s two weeks ago, I believe there will be very little denial left in the US by the end of March.

I’m impressed with the turn of events that occurred throughout the day yesterday - it marked the beginning of a much overdue shift in mentality. I just hope it wasn’t too little too late.

MOO***

RUSSIA:

There have been 28 cases of coronavirus infections reported in Russia so far (this sounds low)

Russian scientists say they have developed a device that can test for coronavirus in 15 minutes (available from Autumn)

About 100 Chinese students in Moscow will be deported from Russia because they violated their self-quarantine orders

A religious procession in central Russia aimed at fighting the coronavirus has been canceled due to the threat of the virus itself (well, doh)

Gatherings of over 5000 people are banned for a month

Coronavirus in Russia: The Latest News - The Moscow Times

Pence spoke today, they are still trying to get their cr@p together. Don't shoot the messenger::

___

"We're making steady progress," says VP Pence on coronavirus testing

Vice President Mike Pence said the US was "working on making tests broadly available across the country," in an interview on CNN's New Day Thursday.

"One of the things we are working on is a central reporting website," he added.

Pence said that the "American people can be confident" in the country's handling of the outbreak, adding: "We're making steady progress."

The Vice President told CNN that "last week we changed the criteria for testing" and that the "Washington state, California (and) New York clusters are now subject to tough CDC guidance."

Live updates: Coronavirus US travel ban hits 26 European countries - CNN

Sydney Opera House to be disinfected following Rita Wilson performance

Disinfecting efforts are underway at the Sydney Opera House and health officials are tracking down concert goers who attended a small Rita Wilson performance there last Saturday, after the singer-actress and her husband, Tom Hanks, revealed they tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

"It’s shocking" – Lewis Hamilton slams decision to hold Australian Grand Prix amid pandemic

Six-time Formula One World Champion, Lewis Hamilton, said it’s “shocking” that Formula 1 has pressed ahead with this weekend's Australian Grand Prix amid the global coronavirus pandemic.

The first practice sessions of the new season are due to begin on Friday at Albert Park with the race itself scheduled to take place on Sunday.

Jumping off this, thanks:

2 More Coronavirus Cases Announced in Broward; Miami-Dade Mayor Declares State of Emergency
Florida now has 26 residents who tested positive for COVID-19
Published March 11, 2020 • Updated 10 mins ago

“The Florida Department of Health announced three new positive cases of coronavirus overnight, including ones in Broward County.

Department of Health officials said the two cases in South Florida include a 65-year-old man in isolation and a 61-year-old man whose case is associated with Port Everglades. A 57-year-old man in Lee County was also confirmed to have the virus.

[...]

BBM:

“This case, a 56-year-old man who traveled recently, is the first announced in Miami-Dade.

Earlier Wednesday, a 70-year-old man in Broward County -- its sixth case overall -- was also tested positive for the virus. Health officials said he traveled to Tampa for an EMS conference last week. A 63-year-old resident of New York, who is currently in St. John's County, was also tested positive. He traveled from New York to Daytona Bike Week. All three are isolated.”

——

“Gimenez said the emergency declaration goes into effect on Thursday, and he will also be announcing decisions on public events such as the Miami Open, an international tennis tournament held at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.”

COVID-19 patient in Miami-Dade remains on home quarantine, mayor says
Wow, I think sleuthers are androids. You don't need sleep. You've been all over this story since it broke. I just woke up. Sorry for the repost. :D

Wyoming reports its first coronavirus case -- making it the 44th US state with infections

“Lab testing at the Wyoming Public Health Laboratory has identified the first known case of a state resident with coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19)," the release said.

The patient is a woman from Sheridan County who has recently traveled domestically.

Coronavirus poses question mark over big events such as football

THERE is a "big question mark" over whether large-scale events such as football matches should go ahead as Scotland tackles the coronavirus outbreak, the First Minister has said.

Nicola Sturgeon said she believes the time has come to move into the delay phase for battling the virus, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson set to sign off on such plans during an emergency Government meeting on Thursday.

From what I’ve seen thus far, the majority still don’t see this issue for what it is. There is some heightened concern, but most still consider this outbreak as something that will possibly cause some inconvenience. IMO, the overall reaction thus far is due to a culmination of things:

• We’re accustomed to headlines from around the world that are horrifying in nature - so there’s a level of “numbness” to bad news
  • News articles and headlines often blow things out of proportion in order to promote viewership - so there’s also a level of “the little boy that cried wolf”
  • Most of us are accustomed to a society that has been insulated from large scale national disasters - think of 9/11 - not to minimize that terrible event in any way whatsoever, but there are parts of this world that have seen medium to large scale wars for years on end, yet the single event of 9/11 momentarily knocked the wind out of us as a country. The shock that was felt remains with most of us to this day.
  • Outside of Websleuths, there’s a lot of conflicting information being thrown around, and the information provided tends to report how bad the virus is elsewhere - not so much in regards to how bad it could be locally....
  • Which leads to a lot of denial (not to mention that 2.4% doesn’t sound like a catastrophe unless it’s put into full context)
With all that being said, I’m hoping that the President’s announcement, the WHO’s declaration of a pandemic, and the multiple cancellations of extremely large events will bring about a realization of what’s in store. With the US trajectory mirroring that of Italy’s two weeks ago, I believe there will be very little denial left in the US by the end of March.

I’m impressed with the turn of events that occurred throughout the day yesterday - it marked the beginning of a much overdue shift in mentality. I just hope it wasn’t too little too late.

MOO***

Quick view of friends FB feeds show that most are talking about how ridiculous it is to cancel MBA.

I just put up this on one of their posts on FB that Henry posted upthread
interventiongraph.jpg

more talk:

__

VP Pence is "still shaking hands" amid virus outbreak

US Vice President Mike Pence told CNN's New Day it was "all hands on deck" as the country tackles the coronavirus outbreak.

And that includes handshakes, it seems.

Pence said that he was "still shaking hands here at the White House," despite leaders around the world advising social distancing to help stem the flow of the virus.

"I'm also washing my hands regularly," added Pence, as per advice from health experts.
"We're all in this together," said Pence, adding, "We're going to work our hearts out to keep the number of people contracting this disease low."

Wow, I think sleuthers are androids. You don't need sleep. You've been all over this story since it broke. I just woke up. Sorry for the repost. :D

Girl.....we threw out the repost rule ages ago. Seriously...it is virtually impossible to keep up with every post and I think bumping the latest information or whatever anyone comes across is great, moo, and we’ve discussed this previously as early back in China.

You know what’s wild, I just remembered something...

Two months ago I was asking “OMG What’s happening in Shanghai? :eek: Beijing? :eek: Hong Kong? :eek: Japan? :eek:

Today I’m asking “What’s happening in Denver? Seattle? New York? California?..............:.” :(

It’s a surreal and sick feeling.

On that note, I just saw the creepiest thing...The moon is shining brightly over the mountains with a beautiful clear, dark sky...some black clouds came into sight and started creeping towards the moon...heading right in that direction to cover the light...like a foreshadowing of what’s to come...I guess you had to be there lol..

:shudder:

Last edited:
"More and more restrictions" are coming in New York City, mayor says

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said while he is a believer in not destroying peoples livelihoods — but said "more and more restrictions" are likely coming as the coronavirus outbreak spreads.

He said the new restrictions would "certainly" come today and tomorrow. When asked what kind of restrictions, he said “we are going to put the details out there.”

"We are going to very quickly put out guidance about having to reduce crowds and audiences while still having a certain amount of activity," he said.

• Broadway: When asked about New York's Broadway shows, he said guidance would come today or tomorrow. “I don’t want to see Broadway go dark, if we can avoid." de Blasio said. He said he would like to strike a balance.
  • The subway system: He said that if you shut down a subway system, you shut down New York City's economy. He encouraged employers to stagger commuters, and has asked them to allow workers to telecommute if you can.
  • New York City schools: De Blasio was asked about schools and noted the states protocol – if a case is identified in the school a temporarily closure will follow, the city will identify any close contacts, alert parents, give the facilities a thorough cleaning and “then we want that school back up and running." He said we don’t want to get into a “slippery slope” of many schools closing.

more talk:

__

VP Pence is "still shaking hands" amid virus outbreak

US Vice President Mike Pence told CNN's New Day it was "all hands on deck" as the country tackles the coronavirus outbreak.

And that includes handshakes, it seems.

Pence said that he was "still shaking hands here at the White House," despite leaders around the world advising social distancing to help stem the flow of the virus.

"I'm also washing my hands regularly," added Pence, as per advice from health experts.
"We're all in this together," said Pence, adding, "We're going to work our hearts out to keep the number of people contracting this disease low."

Seriously....you can't wash your hands enough to outrun a virus....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13