Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JetBlue passenger diagnosed with coronavirus flew 'knowing' he could have virus, airline says

Glad to see JetBlue ban this passenger for life from flying on their airline as the decision to fly could have adversely impacted many on board the flight.

I do wish the Federal Govt would step in address the issue of people behaving in ways that jeopardise the health of their fellow citizens.

Quotes from article:

A passenger on a flight from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City to Palm Beach, Florida, has been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus.

The plane landed around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue. The crew and 114 passengers were stuck on the tarmac for hours as health officials spoke to everyone on board.

MORE: Coronavirus live updates: Drastic measures issued globally as pandemic takes hold

Passengers who were near the infected person were given instructions on how to monitor their health over the next few days. They were allowed to leave the airport without seeing a doctor.

"At this time passengers in the vicinity of the positive patient were advised of monitoring procedures," Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said in a statement. "The rest of the passengers were released to go home" and given directions to call the health department with any medical concerns.

JetBlue said the infected passenger flew on the plane despite "knowing he was awaiting results for a coronavirus test" and that he didn't disclose this to any airline officials.

The passenger, the airline said, is permanently barred from all JetBlue flights.

"Last night’s event put our crewmembers, customers, and federal and local officials in an unsettling situation that could have easily been avoided, and as such, this customer will not be permitted to fly on JetBlue in the future," the company said in a statement Thursday.

Customers who are not feeling well, or who believe they may have COVID-19 should not travel until cleared by a medical professional, JetBlue said in a statement.
Airline workers in Florida sterilized the "limited containment area" where the passengers deplaned, which officials said is a separate area from the airport's main terminals.

The Florida Department of Health said the coronavirus positive patient is in isolation at this time and that those who were in close contact with him will be monitored and contacted by county health officials.

Back in New York, airline workers conducted their usual twice daily "enhanced cleaning protocols ... of all common and high-touchpoint areas with EPA-approved and CDC-endorsed antiviral disinfectants, in addition to overnight deep cleaning of all terminal areas," according to a statement from the Port Authority on Thursday.

Additionally, "JetBlue immediately commenced additional cleaning of the Gate 7 area, where the flight departed, as well as surrounding gates, the security checkpoints, check-in counters and kiosks, elevators, restrooms and any other area the passenger went through based on security camera footage," Port Authority said.

"The health and safety of our customers and crew members is our top priority," JetBlue said in a statement on Thursday. "We’re asking customers who do not feel well or are concerned they may have coronavirus to not fly until cleared to travel by a doctor or health professional."

Coronavirus latest news: UK infections rise to 798, as Scotland records first death

The number of UK cases of coronavirus has risen to 798, up by 208 from yesterday, the Department of Health has said.

Scotland has had its first death of a patient with coronavirus, an elderly patient with underlying health conditions, Scotland's chief medical officer said on Friday. Eleven patients who tested positive for the virus have now died in the UK.

COMMENTARY: Coronavirus will shape our culture
arcade-edited.jpg
An arcade in England replaced game prizes with coronavirus essentials, like hand sanitizer and toilet paper. Rob Baddick/Facebook

''Few things in my life rival this event. It’s going to leave a deep impression on a plethora of people, especially our kids. But, however we may panic or stress, we have to acknowledge something quite remarkable — we are part of a history-making moment.

The impacts on our culture are already happening, from the postponed film premieres, cancelled concerts and suspended sports. But this is just the beginning. This is too big an event not to fire the imagination or creativity of the human mind.

Like other historic events, there will be a “before” and “after” COVID-19. It’s hard to take it all in stride, but we should pay close attention to the “during” because we’re living in this moment — the big and the small arches of it.''

''So stay focused on what is actually happening. Pay attention because we’re all living in this moment. Be in the moment. We’ll be telling our kids and grandkids about this — and when we do, maybe it’ll be because they’ll be asking us, “Was it just like it was in that movie? Or in that book? Or in that song?”

We’ll know because we were there.''

Meera Estrada is a cultural commentator and co-host of kultur’D! on Global News Radio 640 Toronto.

CALIFORNIA

On Thursday, these #BayArea school districts closed due to the #coronavirus outbreak:
- San Francisco Unified
- West Contra Costa Unified
- Diocese of San Jose
- Tamalpais Union High School District
- Ross School District
Pacifica School District closing for at least 2 weeks starting Monday 3/16
San Mateo Union High School District to close starting Monday.
Full list:
Bay Area schools, universities closed due to coronavirus

"Clare Gerada, a London-based family doctor and former chairwoman of the Royal College of General Practitioners, has tweeted that she is now recovering after an "unwelcome visit" from Covid-19.

Dr Gerada described the experience as the "worst case of the flu I have ever had" and it was "worse than child birth"."

This is bad. I wrote about the worst flu I ever had, 1996, I think. It literally took me 18 months to feel better again.

And that is when I was young and healthy.

Coronavirus updates: Borders shut as coronavirus cases rise - BBC News

Health minister's 84-year-old mother tests positive

Nadine Dorries, a health minister in the UK government who has tested positive for coronavirus, has tweeted that her elderly mother also has the disease.

She added that the 84-year-old was "made of strong stuff".

Poor lady, I hope she makes a full and quick recovery.

No, they are too far down the line. I wouldn't be surprised if they are taking precautions with Will and his family.

The British Royal Family has cancelled Her Majesty The Queens schedule and Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall have cancelled a scheduled spring trip.

I don't think we'll see much of any of the direct lineage for a while.

Sophie, Duchess of Wessex cancelled on something because she was ill. I hope she's better & it's not SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi