Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. Playing catch-up here and still reading through the last thread. I did want to thank @justbeachy, who mentioned elderly people who live alone without a lot of contact. It made me think of a neighbour, so today I’m popping a note through her door offering to do an online grocery shop for her. She can put a list through my letterbox, I’ll place the order and it’ll be delivered to her home. Voila. No human contact needed.
As an introvert, I feel my whole life has been building towards this. ;)

My husband. Who is a very smart man. Tells me that there is more to this story.
He tells me that there is no way, our entire world would go on lockdown with the information we've been given.
I cannot argue with him. Nearly everything makes no sense.
Why does China still have 50 million on lockdown nearly 3 months later?
I'm very worried that our leaders know worse news then they are willing to share with the general public.
Just the news so far has caused panic.
I truly hope that I am not overreacting.
Worried in So. California
Kali

I don't believe they are keeping anything from us, I'm not sure of your husband's reasoning? Could you elaborate on his behalf?
The rapid spread is pushing medical services to the limit. The isolations, quarantines and shutdown of services is simply logical action that slows down the spread. Health experts and governments want to give everyone, especially those at high risk of complications, access to services as they are needed. All IMO

The world is going on lockdown in many areas because of the mathematical projections of what can happen without Non Pharmaceutical Interventions, NPIs, we all are doing. Because the worlds population is 7,770,631,490 and as a pandemic without a vaccine yet, no immunity, and no treatments at this time (which may never come to low healthcare countries when folks have ARDS etc...During the Spanish flu, for instance, the death rate ranged from less than 1 percent in some areas to 90 percent in one Alaskan village.)... We posted many of those projections on the first 2 threads.

It is worrisome indeed, and the reason for the lockdowns, NPI's and global education and alarm.

Put the numbers together with a disease that has an R0 of ~4% (without social distancing and other NPI's that China and other folks are doing with isolation/shutdowns) would require 75% of the population to become infected to reach herd immunity. So, eventually that would mean those 20% infected would need hospitalization eventually. Scientists don't think we may get to that and we won't reach those numbers when a vaccine is created, yet until then...it will potentially grow in exponential waves that we try to push back with NPIs.

Here is a good read... Covid-19 Is Nothing Like the Spanish Flu
Also, read up on herd immunity vs. R0 at What is Herd Immunity?

View attachment 238376
In above, in leiu of vacine immunity - assume immunity due to already had the disease. GAWD forbid if this virus doesn't give lasting immunity with IGg and IGm antibodies!

BBM. There are treatments. University of Nebraska Medicine is giving treatment and haven't lost any patients. NIH clinical trial of remdesivir to treat COVID-19 begins

I've seen a lot of education. It would be great if this site could also be a source of education rather than doom, gloom and hysteria.

Everyone is pulling together trying to flatten the spread. So far, no community transmission in my state. All COVAD-19 contamination here so far is tied to travel. A related child has been diagnosed. Schools are closed but provisions being made to ensure students receive meals. Neighbors are pitching in. We're getting some snow and we have no doubt later this morning our neighbor will have plowed our driveway even though we aren't going anywhere. We're in a metro area of over 1 million.

My dad died of ARDS at a prestigious U.S. teaching hospital in 1994 after suffering multiple broken ribs in a head-on auto accident for which he was not at fault. He was in the CCU for four months and they tried everything to no avail. My dad's recovery had absolutely nothing to do with being a "low healthcare country." Americans die in hospitals from ARDS, from sepsis and other complications just as they do in other countries. Not everything is curable.

JMO

Last edited:
What does it feel like to have coronavirus?

One of Scotland's first cases of coronavirus has spoken to the BBC to describe his experience of the illness

The Covid-19 patient said he wanted to provide reassurance for the majority of people who are expected to make a full recovery.

He was diagnosed with Covid-19 about 10 days ago following a trip to Italy and becoming feverish.

The man, in his 50s, was treated in isolation in a Scottish hospital and is now fully recovered.

I read that post from her friend, and the bells went off- hence my earlier post that I thought it had already run through our county. I remember how bad the headache was- nothing touched it
My DH and I have had this for weeks, we drive together in a big truck together 24/7. Not home much. It's has been widespread ( Midwest to West Coast) since just after Christmas. The crazy headache is enough to make a person think they will loose their mind if it doesn't end soon. Many people we have spoken to along the way confirm.
Doc office said bad flu season started early and has kept on rolling.
Our state may have been testing but not publicized or reported. That's just unfathomable. We live in SW Mi. Awesome universities here, why would Docs not be testing ?
My daily Thanks to you all !! For all you are sharing here and the time you are giving to update. Very much appreciated ! Be well ,prayers for all and families !! <3
MOO. Just to reassure, we do not touch the freight we haul ! Facilities upgraded safety measures. Most shipppers/ receivers we cannot get out at their facility. The food chain is safe ! Lots of changes in the trucking industry, and now this crazy Covid19 .
Hope spring brings positive changes and renewed energy to us all. And an end to our current situation in this nation

Last edited:
We had a bad flu type illness going around here in early December with fever, cough, bad headache, and the cough lasted for a few weeks. I didn’t get it but quite a few people at work were calling in with it, people who normally don’t call in. I’m not saying it was already here but it does make one wonder if it already made an appearance. The people in my office that I talked to had received flu shots so we just thought it was the flu and the shot didn’t work.

Chaotic scenes as panic buyers swamp supermarkets

i seem to only post grocery posts but ok lets roll with it

today was insane, we went to Aldi to get the last couple of things we need, its our local one about 500 meters from our house and we go there often, i have never ever in 2 years since its opened ever seen the car park more than 1/4 full even at christmas or on saturdays

today it was completly full with no free spaces had to go around and around until someone left, and inside was just as bad luckily they have fast scanning, the line was all the way to the back wall

this article i posted above says it was like that everywhere today at all supermarkets, i mean i went out yesterday to a big mall and i thought that was crazy but today was even worse

how are people still buying stuff, i mean hasn't everyone got what they need yet!! everyone in front of us had $100+ totals and we have $23 because thats all we needed, people have gone nuts i am declaring it now officially

My husband. Who is a very smart man. Tells me that there is more to this story.
He tells me that there is no way, our entire world would go on lockdown with the information we've been given.
I cannot argue with him. Nearly everything makes no sense.
Why does China still have 50 million on lockdown nearly 3 months later?
I'm very worried that our leaders know worse news then they are willing to share with the general public.
Just the news so far has caused panic.
I truly hope that I am not overreacting.
Worried in So. California
Kali
We know what they know.....some Americans choose to discount it. China has lived it and knows the truth and why Wuhan is still locked down.
Because we have been so slow to act, I predict we will have at least 3 Wuhan type environments or more...Seattle, San Francisco, and New York. I hold EVERYONE IN OUR GOVERNMENT RESPONSIBLE FOR LACK OF ACTION. They had this info 2 months ago.

AMERICAN HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION FORECAST

• 4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
  • 96 million cases overall in the US
  • 480,000 deaths
  • Overall, the slide points out that hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that's 10 times a severe flu season.
Presentation: US hospitals preparing for millions of hospitalizations - Business Insider

CDC worse case ESTIMATES:

infect between 160 million and 214 million people over a period of more than a year
Deaths 200,000 to 1.7 million people

CDC’s Worst-Case Coronavirus Model: 214 Million Infected, 1.7 Million Dead

NONPROFIT RESOLVE TO SAVE LIVES AND THE COUNCIL ON FOREIGN RELATIONS:
estimated that if half of Americans contract COVID-19, anywhere from 163,500 to 1.6 million people could be killed. The lower value assumes fatality rate similar to the flu, which we already know its higher than that.

CDC’s Worst-Case Coronavirus Model: 214 Million Infected, 1.7 Million Dead

What does it feel like to have coronavirus?

One of Scotland's first cases of coronavirus has spoken to the BBC to describe his experience of the illness

The Covid-19 patient said he wanted to provide reassurance for the majority of people who are expected to make a full recovery.

He was diagnosed with Covid-19 about 10 days ago following a trip to Italy and becoming feverish.

The man, in his 50s, was treated in isolation in a Scottish hospital and is now fully recovered.
Some people have mild symptoms, but not all. That's what makes it different from regular cold.

Some people have mild symptoms, but not all. That's what makes it different from regular cold.
Italy has 60% with mild symptoms and 40% with much much more. Actually I read some info yesterday that the 80% notion doesnt hold in Hubei province. Unfortunately, millions of Americans have locked into this idea....

BBM. There are treatments. University of Nebraska Medicine is giving treatment and haven't lost any patients. NIH clinical trial of remdesivir to treat COVID-19 begins

I've seen a lot of education. It would be great if this site could also be a source of education rather than doom, gloom and hysteria.

Everyone is pulling together trying to flatten the spread. So far, no community transmission in my state. All COVAD-19 contamination here so far is tied to travel. A related child has been diagnosed. Schools are closed but provisions being made to ensure students receive meals. Neighbors are pitching in. We're getting some snow and we have no doubt later this morning our neighbor will have plowed our driveway even though we aren't going anywhere. We're in a metro area of over 1 million.

My dad died of ARDS at a prestigious U.S. teaching hospital in 1994 after suffering multiple broken ribs in a head-on auto accident for which he was not at fault. He was in the CCU for four months and they tried everything to no avail. My dad's recovery had absolutely nothing to do with being a "low healthcare country." Americans die in hospitals from ARDS, from sepsis and other complications just as they do in other countries. Not everything is curable.

JMO
University of Nebraska is doing clinical trial. They split those enrolled into two groups, and one group is getting placebo. SO if they haven't lost any patients, it doesn't mean that the drug is working, since they haven't lost anyone in the placebo group either. So whether the drug has any efficiency remains to be seen.

Italy has 60% with mild symptoms and 40% with much much more. Actually I read some info yesterday that the 80% notion doesnt hold in Hubei province. Unfortunately, millions of Americans have locked into this idea....
I know. If a relatively large number of people didn't get severe symptoms (including death), covid wouldn't have become the pain in the behind it is (store shelves empty, schools and universities closing, national emergency, etc).

Strange. I just received a 'We are hiring, Immediate Openings Available' email from Ralphs (grocery store). I'm a member so I do receive their advertisement email time to time but this out of the blue email makes me wonder if their employees are quitting fast due to Coronavirus worries.
Or they have an incredibly increased demand.

I KNOW THERE ARE CNN STORIES THAT SAY DIFFERENT....BUT THERE AEE QUOTES FROM THE COMPANY BELOW.

Verily, a healthcare tech company also owned by Alphabet, said it was leading the effort to develop the web tool, with the help of an undisclosed number of Google employees.

We are in the early stages of development, and planning to roll testing out in the (San Francisco) Bay Area, with the hope of expanding more broadly over time," Verily spokeswoman Kathleen Parkes said.

About 1,700 Google workers have volunteered to help with coronavirus-related efforts, according to a person familiar with the matter, but it is unclear whether all of them are involved with developing the new website.

Carolyn Wang, another Verily spokeswoman, said it initially aimed to assess testing needs for people more prone to catching the virus, such as healthcare workers. But she said Verily now plans to trial the system more broadly at several sites around the San Francisco region.

Google, Walmart join U.S. effort to speed up coronavirus testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members