Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

[BCOVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***[/B]

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?

POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?

POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?

POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20

Thread #21

Thread #22

ADMIN WARNING:

This thread is fast moving and labour intensive and we have other active threads that need attention.

Politicizing is NOT allowed. If your post is found to contain political statements or politics in general, it will be removed and a thread ban will be issued which means you will not be able to post in this thread, only read.

Critique your own post before submitting it to the thread to make sure it does not have a political bent; otherwise you may find you lose posting privileges.

Post accordingly.

Hey Everyone,

After SillyBilly's warning, I am still seeing political posts.

I really REALLY want to keep this thread open. This thread is needed but everyone needs to stop with the politics. Stop with the complaining about politics. Stop with the complaining about posters complaining about politics.

PLEASE JUST STOP!

Thank you,
Tricia

Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOUR FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

OK, I AM YELLING AGAIN AND I AM GETTING ANGRY.

IF YOU FEEL THIS IS A HOAX - IF YOU FEEL THIS IS ALL "FAKE NEWS" THEN DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD. STAY OFF THIS THREAD. THIS THREAD IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING THE VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND WANT TO POST ABOUT FACTS AND ABOUT SOLUTIONS. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR OPINION BUT YOUR OPINION WILL CAUSE THIS THREAD DO GO UP IN FLAMES AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE CAN COME HERE AND GET FACTS. WE NEED TO TAKE THIS VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND THAT IS WHY THIS THREAD IS ON WEBSLEUTHS. PLEASE GO TO ANOTHER DISCUSSION IN THE MISSING OR IN COLD CASES AND DO SOME GOOD.

Not yelling now. We should not get hysterical about the virus but we need to discuss this virus seriously. A big difference between the two. In the same vein, we should not shrug our shoulders and say it's no big deal and it is a media hysteria.

While I respect you have the right to your opinion I have the right to ask you to leave this thread so we can discuss the virus without disruption.

Rarely do I pull this statement out but here it comes; I am the owner and the final decisions on what can be discussed and rules are all on me. I want to be as inclusive as possible but in a real National Emergency declared by the president, I have a responsibility to make sure we discuss the facts and we discuss virus in a logical and factual way.

Thank you.
Tricia.
PS. I am not getting hysterical about the virus I am getting angry at the thought of how fast this thread could literally shut the whole forum down, Our wonderful mods do not need the stress.

My husband and I stocked up on otc cold and cough meds so we could self treat until we got to the point of needing to go to the hospital. Hopefully that won't happen! Most doctors and urgent care here have signs instructing people with even just cold symptoms to turn around and leave the property.

I've been a poster since the beginning of this, yet out for the last week and probably the next week due to death in family... that said..

When I lot on now there is so much information that folks are getting that is misinformation. So perhaps others here can jump on newcomers posts to correct, I just don't have the time now. I have to do RL with family as a priority, but it concerns me as I want to correct stuff here with new folks or misinformation (vs. the folks I have on a *special feature* here at WS where I cannot see the posts)

Anyway.... WHY does one need OTC cold and cough medicines for COVID-19? The experts and others have said SINCE DAY ONE do not take anti-pyretics. (fever reducing stuff such as Tylenol/Advil/Asprin). Can we as a thread of folks from the beginning not tell ALL NEWCOMERS to this thread NOT to do such? I cannot do it now, and wish I could.

Fever for the body is good. It gets the temperature up where the virus doesn't live/like it as much, and gets the hypothalmus in gear to get those antibodies going. No, I don't have a link as someone has asked we all do...it's just commonly known and accepted science by those who have followed since threads one and two... yet new folks have no idea.

As to taking cough medicine... the only thing that that does is suppress the cough. ok... you want to suppress it. Yet why? IF IF IF it is COVID-19, they say that it is a dry cough like walking pneumonia/mycoplasma pneumonia. Same symptoms. The cough is the body saying you have an infection, and all you are doing is stopping the normal body from doing what is needed. STAY AT HOME AND ISOLATE if that happens. Many expectorants only bring up phlegm with cilia, e.g guffanessein - yet this disease does not create primarly sputum and need for such until it turns into ARDS.

Gosh, I really hate that I only have time these days to be on here for an hour or less a day and miss 90% of posts since I have so many posts I want to add in information to respond to.

Why do I think a whole lot of ‘good ole boys’ are walking around, spreading covid. Sure, maybe they haven’t been tested but know they aren’t feeling well & should not be out, but they feel they must be at the bar?

Maybe we can help by making a shopping list of more practical items:

whole wheat flour
oil
frozen real juice concentrate
dried skim milk powder
dried beans and lentils
laundry detergent
canned or frozen veggies
veggie seeds
waxed gouda cheese
salt
popcorn
dish soap
tooth paste

.. what else?
Toothbrushes! If sick we need to change them out.

I have found that snacks, desserts and the tastier items don’t last long in my cupboard or fridge, but that’s me.

I recommend more items that go towards cooking, nutrition and meals.

I have been practicing rationing and getting supplies for a few weeks now, so this is based on my own personal experience and opinion.

Last edited:
My state only has 6 confirmed cases at the moment, Schools are closing, trials are being postponed, grocery stores are altering their hours, libraries are closing, some churches are closing, nursing homes are on lock down. I am glad to see that a proactive approach is being taken. Of course one of the confirmed cases in my state is in my neighborhood. I really need to go to the store and get some potatoes. NASA has a facility near me and they are only allowing essential personnel to work on site for the next few weeks.

JMO
It’s not a bad idea to have a bottle or two of Pedialyte too. (Going back to when I had little ones, that’s what the pediatrician recommended).
They also have single serving packets and popsicles now too. FWIW.

Maybe we can help by making a shopping list of more practical items:

whole wheat flour
oil
frozen real juice concentrate
dried skim milk powder
dried beans and lentils
laundry detergent
canned or frozen veggies
veggie seeds
waxed gouda cheese
salt
popcorn
dish soap
tooth paste

.. what else?
Yes! Dried beans and peas are wonderful as you can make soups and freeze half. I also picked up a block of processed cheese that can be stored in the pantry along with dried macaroni.

Also we ground up a few pounds of beef and bought 2 cornish game hens - one suffices for the two of us. Also some form of stock, be it condensed, cubes or cartons. We have a number of herbs coming in right now - mint, chives, tarragon, parsley, etc. to season foods.

A couple cartons of eggs, root vegetables as mentioned already - they can be cooked and frozen. Tortillas, naan, pita and plenty of flour.

I think the point is to have enough meat and vegetables/beans to provide protein. We also have white and brown rice, canned chickpeas and canned soups which can be used in a pinch for lunch.

Besides homemade soups which freeze well there are other meals that can be cooked ahead and freeze half - cottage pie, cabbage rolls, stuffed peppers, etc.

I don't anticipate losing our utilities but if we end up stuck in the house 24/7 it will be nice to have easy meals to thaw and warm.

Oh, and maybe some sweet stuff - boxed brownie or cake mix, cut and bake cookies and the like. And popcorn is a good snack, along with peanuts or pistachios.

I'm sure we'll all be just fine but IMO having the pantry stocked helps allay any anxiety. I remember after Hurricane Andrew at some point I felt like I couldn't get enough to eat - trees blocked our street and all the stores were closed, there was no electricity. It's an unpleasant feeling.

ETA: And bacon. :D

Last edited:
Folks stocking up on supplies should include Gatorade. My son had Influenza A two weeks ago and he lived on the stuff. He had no appetite.

Gatorade, Pedialyte, Ginger Ale... That's good advice. I thought of it, but was blown away by the crowds when I got in the store. Wish I had emergency cough medicine too.

This!! Humans lived for centuries before toilet paper. Honestly, it’s NOT a necessity (without going into too much graphic detail). I’m much more concerned with having enough pet food. My fur babies have to eat properly.

We have 4 dogs now. 50lb bags of Ol Roy Chicken n Rice delivered from WalMart. Just ordered another bag to have on hand with all this going on. I know people who "would never" use store brand dog food- we have never had an issue- and our oldest dog recently passed at 21 yrs of age. Vet says our dogs are in excellent health, and now we have plenty for the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli