Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Dixie,

I’m very sorry about the death in your family.

I don’t remember the Tylenol, Advil part? I haven’t seen that? Was it in one of your infinite medical videos (lol)?

You are busy so making a note to get this very important clarification on Advil and Tylenol linked.

No clarification needed. People should have medications on hand for things like cold and flu.

What Medications to Get to Prep for a Coronavirus Infection

But Bhowmick said its symptoms are “fairly similar” to the common cold, which is caused by another type of coronavirus. So some OTC medications may also help relieve the symptoms of COVID-19.

She says acetaminophen can be used for fever and body aches. For nasal congestion, she recommends nasal irrigation with a saline solution, or a decongestant such as pseudoephedrine (people with high blood pressure should avoid this) or phenylephrine.

The usual cold/flu self-care recommendations also apply: “Keeping hydrated is of the utmost importance,” said Bhowmick, “and of course rest.”

According to dinner reservation company, @OpenTable, dining reservations in #Atlanta are down -35% since this time last year. Georgia is down -34%, the U.S. is down -36%. Open Table believes the #coronavirus is causing people to stay home, rather than dine out. #COVID19 #fox5atl Tiffany Griffith on Twitter
Tiffany Griffith on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Another suggestion I've seen out on social media - internet service providers, cable companies, etc. need to open up internet download speed and access for everyone. People need to access the internet for news, information, education, work, etc. This is why our grandparents generation made sure all media (back then radio & broadcast tv) was owned and governed by the public, licensed annually to media companies. We need that again.

The company my daughter works for providing high speed Internet to “low tier” subscribers to help those who have to work or go to school from home. My local provider is too.

I also have 4 dogs and have stocked up on dog food. I think I can make it a month. I ordered from Chewy. I just wish I had stocked up on ice cream too.
We bought 88# from Sam's Warehouse two weeks ago!
If that runs out and we can't get more, then they will get human food until we can get more.
Moo

The French health minister, a doctor, warns that anti-inflammatory medicines may worsen the coronavirus. He recommends the use of paracetamol instead.
Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises

This is the first time that I have seen this advice. Tylenol has never worked as a pain reliever for me. Ibuprofen always helps. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips from our medical people? Thank you in Advance.

TEXAS

#UPDATE from El Paso County Health:

- 3 #COVID19 cases in El Paso County
- 1 is a man who played bridge with the woman who died from #coronavirus yesterday in Colorado Springs
- Several people who had contact with her have tests that are pending, currently under med. evaluation

Catherine Silver on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

If any of you are low on food or trunk to stretch your supply, this is a great recipe
Best Loaded Slow-Cooker Potatoes Recipe-How To Make Loaded Slow-Cooker Potatoes—Delish.com
I guess I’m allowed to post it as I’ve seen a few other recipes and grocery lists.
Hopefully all of us will have freshly stocked stores soon. My next trip will be before 5a.m., I’ll go one morning when I wake early & feel like dealing with it.
That sounds yummy. I sent DH out today. (He goes routinely on Saturday anyway.) He scored some good stuff, including potatoes, so will try this. Thanks!

He also found tissues! It's like a miracle. So we are well stocked for the two of us and any other family members who may descend upon us. I'm trying to get my daughter, SIL and grandson to come here. If they can work from home up there, they can from here. And maybe my Mom and brother. I want my family here with me so I can wrap my arms around them whenever I need to.

Now if I can just get my cats to stop eating all their pandemic supplies. :(

Over half of the coronavirus patients in intensive care in the Netherlands are under 50 years old
h/t @Momo_x5x
Privacy settings
Steve Lookner on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES
IMO the large # of deaths in the elderly is because they were denied care due to thier age in a triage situation.
If more ventilators were available those numbers wouldn't be so high.
My opinion only.

#BREAKING ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia's March 24 presidential primaries have been postponed until May because of fears over the #coronavirus. #fox5atl #COVID19 #YouDecide2020
Good Day Atlanta on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

There they go again with “fears over coronavirus” and cancelled over “coronavirus fears”.

Why can’t they just say cancelled over coronavirus.

Taking precautions and practicing containment measures doesn’t mean you’re doing things over “coronavirus fears”. It means you’re being responsible, prepared, following CDC guidances and other directives.

This is not believable at the moment imo - how does one report a ballpark flu death of 22K - 55K, a differential of 33K? Which is it? What is the source? Or is it an opinion?

Why is 5K for COVID-19 fixed at 5K? Could it be 5K - 25K? Could some of the 33K maybe, sorta deaths for flu be transferred to COVID-19?

Very baffling numbers unless a test can attribute an exact COD through a proper test.

Is the source for the above not reliable enough for WS?

JMO.

It's directly from the cdc

Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates

Spanish PM’s wife tests positive for coronavirus

The Spanish government has just announced that the prime minister’s wife, Begoña Gómez, has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Both Gomez and her husband, Pedro Sánchez, are doing well and remain at their official residence in Madrid, the Moncloa palace, the government said in a statement.

Earlier this week, two of Sánchez’s ministers also tested positive for the virus.

Coronavirus latest updates: Trump extends travel ban to UK and Ireland

Cream of Wheat
Cereals
Canned chicken
Canned tuna
Instant mashed potatoes. (it's blasphemy to this Irish girl but they'll do in an emergency)
Dried fruits
Oh yes! I forgot about canned tuna and chicken - great sources of protein. Add some frozen peas and carrots to the chicken and you can make a pot pie using flour or Bisquick. Or add some bread crumbs and an egg for tuna patties. Same for canned salmon.

And yeah, we have some instant mashed potatoes too - maybe pick up a small head of cabbage or kale and make colcannon American style? :D

It is getting bad here in my neck of the woods.
A young mother has been transferred from Rome to Emory hospital, they are afraid she may not live long enough to make it there.
I personally know 2 people who are at home extremely ill, deep dry cough, feel like they are suffocating and temps as high as 103.7.
They are my son's friend and his mother.
They both attended Liberty Square Church on March 1st.
When they called the hospital they were told of they weren't sick enough for the ICU, the would be taken to the basement for transport to a place of isolation to get tested and quarantined there. They were told if they they chose not.to seek treatment they have to stay on isolation in their home until March the 25th unless their condition worsened.
That's scary!!
The numbers from that Church continue to grow.
Moo

I am sorry, this is so sad.

I don't see how they can refuse to treat them, even though they may not need ICU. Hospitals have several levels of care. I don't know I would take a person word over the phone.

They may need oxygen, which an ER Dr. could order to be used at home, nebulizer treatments, and anti viral medication to easy the symptoms. They should be tested, the second week in the most life threatening.

So many times, folks they won't get worse, not so.
I had physicians say, They waited to late for a positive outcome, if they had just come in a few days earlier.

Moo

I panicked too much and decided just to go ahead and go shopping today.

Meat? Gone. Veggies? Gone. Fruit? Gone. Barely any canned goods or frozen stuff left. We were able to grab some stuff but we were lucky because they were restocking as we came in. I was able to grab a package of toilet paper that they were just putting onto the shelves. There were limits to have many of each things we could buy. I think I went at a very lucky time.

I talked to my parents and my father went to 4 stores and could not find toilet paper. All 4 stores were almost completely wiped out of everything. He could not get any produce. He finally found some water at a local store but he had to wait 1 hour in a line to get into the store, and there was a limit of 1 water per person. I may have to share some of my TP with them.

Every two weeks for the last six weeks, I have gone shopping and spent between $200 and $300. This house is stocked. It was shocking to me to go to the store yesterday, and see bare shelves. When has this ever happened in the United States? WWII? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase