Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I had pneumonia as a child and I definitely didn't get it off shopping card handle, considering I wasn't shopping with shopping cards as a child.

My oldest son was hospitalized at the age of 12 months with pneumonia nearly 40 years ago and the pediatrician believed he picked it up from the infant seat in the grocery shopping cart. No way would I consider placing one of my grandkids in the cart without wiping down the handle with a sanitary wipe.

JMO

Coronavirus Live Updates: C.D.C. Offers New Guidelines, Fed Slashes Rates and Italian Deaths Jump

The Fed slashes rates to near-zero.

The Federal Reserve slashed interest rates to near-zero and unveiled a sweeping set of programs — including plans to snap up huge amounts of government and mortgage-backed debt — in an effort to backstop the United States economy as the spread of coronavirus poses a dire threat to economic growth.

[...]

No gatherings of 50 or more for now, urges the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended Sunday that no mass gatherings with 50 people or more — including weddings, festivals, parades, concerts, sporting events or conferences — be held in the United States for the next eight weeks in one of the federal government’s most sweeping efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

[...]

Cuomo says New York City schools will close this week.

New York City’s public school system, the nation’s largest with 1.1 million students, will begin shutting down this week, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo said on Sunday, in what is the city’s most aggressive and disruptive effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

[...]

California tells residents 65 and older to stay at home as more states add restrictions.

California called for all people 65 and older to shelter in their homes. Massachusetts moved to ban dining in bars and restaurants beginning Tuesday, effectively closing Boston’s bars for St. Patrick’s Day. And Puerto Rico set some of the strictest measures in the United States, imposing a 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew and closing nonessential businesses.

[...]

Italy’s deaths jump, Germany closes borders and restrictions multiply around the world.

The coronavirus continued its assault on Italy, the hardest hit country outside of China, with officials on Sunday reporting the number of deaths rose to 1,809 — a 25 percent increase over the day before and the largest one-day uptick yet of any country.

The 368 deaths Italy reported exceeds the highest single-day number China reported at the height of its outbreak. China’s highest daily toll was on Feb. 13, when the country reported 254 new deaths, according to the World Health Organization.

[...]

A top U.S. health official says Americans should be prepared to “hunker down.”

A top health official said on Sunday that stronger efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus would roll out over the next several weeks, a period he characterized as crucial for controlling the outbreak.

Appearing across a number of Sunday morning news programs, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that travel bans enacted last week have helped curb transmission, but that U.S. citizens would have to make personal sacrifices and comply with government guidelines to avoid a “worst-case scenario.”

[...]

At airports, passengers describe long waits and confusion.

As the U.S. government rushed on Saturday to implement Mr. Trump’s restrictions on travel from Europe, part of an effort to stop the spread of the coronavirus, chaos ensued at some of America’s biggest airports.

In Dallas, travelers posted photos on Twitter of long winding lines in the airport. In New York, customs agents in paper and plastic masks boarded a flight from Paris. And in Chicago, where travelers reported standing in line for hours, Gov. J.B. Pritzker of Illinois tagged Mr. Trump in a series of angry tweets about the long waits, saying, “The federal government needs to get its s@#t together. NOW.”

[...]

Mnuchin will ask Congress to reinstate powers used in 2008 financial crisis.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Sunday that he would ask Congress to reinstate powers that were used during the 2008 financial crisis to support the economy as the coronavirus threatens to grind U.S. business activity to a halt.

The comments suggest that the White House is bracing for a widespread downturn that could harm sectors well beyond the travel and cruise ship industries, and that the federal government could need to return to the type of crisis-era measures that were ultimately scaled back by lawmakers in the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act.

[...]

Starbucks will serve “to go” only and a French luxury company will make hand sanitizer instead of perfume.

Starbucks said Sunday it was moving to a “to go” model for at least two weeks in the U.S. and Canada to encourage social distancing.

[...]

LVMH, the French company known for luxury items, said Sunday that it would redirect its cosmetic division to produce mass quantities of hydroalcoholic gel and give it to French health authorities.

[...]

Chinese journalists fight back against government censorship.

As it tightens restrictions on people entering the country, the Chinese government also is leading a sweeping campaign to purge the public sphere of dissent, censoring news reports, harassing citizen journalists and shutting down news sites.

But Chinese journalists, buoyed by an outpouring of support from the public and widespread calls for free speech, are fighting back in a rare challenge to the ruling Communist Party.

[...]

A cruise ship is heading to France with a coronavirus quandary.

An Italian ship on a trans-Atlantic voyage has become the cruise industry’s latest case of possible mass exposure.

The Costa Luminosa isolated 1,427 passengers in their rooms on Sunday afternoon en route to Marseille, France from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Over the past few days, one recent passenger with the infection died, two others were found to have it and three more suspected of having it have been removed from the ship.

[...]

My oldest son was hospitalized at the age of 12 months with pneumonia nearly 40 years ago and the pediatrician believed he picked it up from the infant seat in the grocery shopping cart. No way would I consider placing one of my grandkids in the cart without wiping down the handle with a sanitary wipe.

JMO
They sell cart covers for shopping carts that I had for both of my kids. I wouldn't ever put my child in a cart without one of those. They are on the top of my gift list for new moms....they won't use them until the baby is out of a carrier, but they are so happy to have it once they are!

I think the huge problem for waiters is the extremely low hourly wage many make. So, once they apply for unemployment if they are asked to estimate tips, it needs to match their tax returns. Every wait person can not claim $500 a night in tips, but show annual income of $8,500.00. Moo. Of course most gratuity is left on a card of some type, I think.
I think some people might find new jobs. Stores might have a job fair......of course don’t count on a face to face interview :eek:

My doctor sent me this link which is absolutely fascinating for anyone studying the numbers. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of Canadian data or projections, but there is some really good information using current data from the US, UK, Australia and other countries.

If you like data and epidemiology, you will find this very informative. There are lots of graphs, including information on beds/1000 people in the highest hit countries, rates of infection, areas where there will be pressure on the system, and shows the anticipated results of social distancing.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now
This is a must read.

No gatherings of 50 or more for now, urges the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended Sunday that no mass gatherings with 50 people or more — including weddings, festivals, parades, concerts, sporting events or conferences — be held in the United States for the next eight weeks in one of the federal government’s most sweeping efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
a friend of mine was buried yesterday, I did not attend but heard appx 230 did pay respects. I wonder when funerals will be added to the list....thinking of tears, coughing,hugging.
Also the CDC recommends limiting functions to 50 or less. WTH heck is a future bride to do, if the invitations mailed out already? Yikes.

Imo if it is a cafeteria contained in a place of work, it will remain open. Like a large factory might keep their caf open, or a large hospital, etc. idk, only guessing. Good luck. I hope if it remains open everyone keeps a good distance between seats.
I have no clue as this closure has just been announced, but if it's a place where people sit and eat, one would assume it will be closed too.

Good question. I think it has to be forced closures. If establishments remain open, that is an invitation to “come dine with us”, enticing persons suffering cabin fever to congregate, exactly what we are to avoid, imo. It can’t be both ways, mixed signals cause more confusion, I think.
honestly I think a lot of establishments will close on their own. I doubt they want the liability of a worker potentially infecting a patron & if a lot of would be patrons are off work they might be less willing to eat/drink out.
So many people appear to have zero concern about novel Corona, if they drive around finding theaters, bars & restaurants open their lack of concern is validated. MOO

I would hope businesses "do the right thing" and close to prevent the spread. That so not the case. I live in a small town, our two theaters have announced daily matinees with discount rates, the local game rooms running specials to give the kids something to do while out of school.

Our local health dept and government don't seem to mind. Its insane.

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member