Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas Day was the day we found out we are going to be 1st time Grandparents. I have been shopping up a storm, all things baby. Last month helping with some prelim baby shower plans, planning the date as we are hosting the men's diaper party. Yes diaper party's are a thing now. I woke up every day with such excitement. Now it's concern. Of course gatherings can be planned for after birth. Concern for Mom and baby and of course all Family. Seems a dark cloud over head. How things can change so quickly.

(((Hugs, Bravo.)))

Ontario has cancelled all elective surgeries so that they can concentrate on dealing with CV.
The ORs will be ramping down starting tomorrow.

Guess the surgical wards will become CV wards etc.

I had a notice from UHN, (main teaching hospital) telling people to stay away from clinic appointments, don't bring family with you to hospital etc. on Friday.

Now, its getting much tighter in the medical community.

Right. The virus is as serious, or not, as it is. As of today there have been 153 517 cases and 5735 deaths -- none new in the US, which stands at 41 deaths, I believe. Mostly related to a hospice care type business in Washington. As opposed to H1n1, which had 61 million cases in the US and more than 15k deaths. Or the flu.

2009 H1N1 Pandemic
From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
____
Remember the Last Global Pandemic? Probably Not

That doesn’t seem fair, given that H1N1 did infect as much as 24% of the world’s population. The overall fatality rate was quite low, at about 0.02% of estimated cases — five time lower than the 0.1% average fatality rate for the seasonal flu — but that’s mainly because H1N1 had little effect on the demographic usually hit hardest by influenza: those 65 and older. For younger people, H1N1 was more dangerous than the seasonal flu, and in countries in South Asia and Africa with youthful populations the H1N1 pandemic really was a big deal, with the CDC later estimating a global death toll ranging from 151,700 to 575,400.

Still, that’s lower than the range that the CDC and WHO now put on the annual death toll from seasonal flu: 290,000 to 650,000. In the U.S., an estimated 60.8 million people contracted the new H1N1 virus from April 2009 through April 2010, 274,304 were hospitalized and 12,469 died. Because the CDC changed the statistical model it uses to make such estimates in 2010 that last number can’t really be compared to recent estimates of seasonal flu fatalities, which ranged from 12,000 in 2011-2012 to 61,000 in 2017-2018. But earlier estimates of overall flu-related deaths in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 indicate that both flu seasons were less deadly than average.

P

You know this has just begun, though, right?

I remember the last pandemic.

Trump calls on Americans to cease hoarding food, supplies
[...]

Trump assured Americans, after speaking with leading grocery chain executives, that grocers would remain open and that the supply chain remained healthy. Speaking at the same White House news conference, Vice President Mike Pence urged Americans to buy only the groceries they need for the week ahead.

[...]

... Fauci said travel restrictions within the United States, such as to and from hard-hit Washington state and California, probably would not be needed anytime soon.

[...]

“The worst is yet ahead for us,” Fauci said. “It is how we respond to that challenge that is going to determine what the ultimate endpoint is going to be.”

Trump, on the other hand, offered an optimistic outlook even as officials said the infection rate in the U.S. was surging. The president acknowledged that the virus was “very contagious” but asserted that his administration had “tremendous control” over the spread of the disease.

[...]

I would rather be at work than working from home. I like to have the separate places - work and home. Being around my spouse all day is sometimes not that great.
This may not be an option, depending on what you do for a living, but I’ve heard from some acquaintances (who, like you, value getting out of their house/away from their spouse or roommates for an 8 hour work day), that they plan to charge up their laptops and drive to their office buildings, park there so they can get on the company’s WiFi, and work from their cars or on small folding picnic tables they’ll set up if the weather is nice. The novelty might wear off quickly, but I thought it was a pretty creative solution that—assuming most of your coworkers don’t have the same idea and you are vigilant about not making contact or coming too close to other folks whilst parked/working!—honors the spirit, if not the letter, of the work-from-home recommendations CDC and others are making.

The Latest: Peace Corps evacuating volunteers, suspends ops
[...]

The Peace Corps is evacuating all of its volunteers and suspending operations in dozens of countries worldwide.

Director Jody Olsen says Sunday’s decision comes as “international travel becomes more and more challenging by the day.” She said the agency wanted to avoid leaving volunteers stranded in host countries.

[...]

MGM Resorts, which lists 13 resorts in Las Vegas, joined the Wynn Las Vegas and Encore in announcing closures Sunday.

Wynn Resorts said the two-week closure starts March 17 at 6 p.m. MGM says its Las Vegas properties will suspend operations by March 17.

[...]

Peru’s president has declared an emergency and ordered people to stay home, while Honduras is closing its borders and ordering most businesses to close.

Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra stated in a televised address Sunday there is growing risk that all of Peru will be afflicted by the virus, acknowledging that some of those recently diagnosed with coronavirus had not traveled abroad.

[...]

South Korea has reported 74 additional cases of the new coronavirus, continuing its downward trend.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday the additional cases brought the country’s total to 8,236. It has 75 deaths.

[...]

An Australian television editor has tested positive for the new coronavirus after meeting actress-singer Rita Wilson in Sydney.

Wilson and her husband Tom Hanks have been isolated in an Australian hospital since they were both diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 12.

[...]

New York City’s mayor ordered restaurants and bars to limit their business to take out and delivery services, and he told movie theaters, concert halls and other entertainment venues to close.

[...]

He said the actions were part of an effort to “save the lives of loved ones and our neighbors.”

[...]

Well, I haven't been isolating, but I've been staying home a lot. I can do a lot of my work from home, menus, recipes, quotes for catering, payroll and marketing. My husband though, works 6 days a week, double shifts, and he's 72 and had major heart surgery last year.
If I'm going to an atm machine or pharmacy, I have disposable gloves which I wear.
Lots of handwashing and sanitizing gel.
So, I've reduced my normal activities by about 50%, maybe more.

They're not being told to shut as punishment; they are more like collateral damage. It's true that some businesses might not survive -- but we must fight the virus, and the virus' priority is not the maintenance of human culture.

This may not be a popular statement, but I think it needs to be said: We as a culture have gotten so used to our comforts and to the idea of our life we have created in our little bubble of indoor shelter with electricity and a zillion appliances, internet, screen entertainment, lots of food, and our invented world of finance, occupations and vocations, cultural rituals, sports, etc -- we've had so few disruptions to that world in recent decades that we've forgotten that, to put it bluntly, "nature bats last".

The world is full of species that struggle constantly with checks and balances to their population -- diseases, predators, famines, climate shifts, and more. As much as we'd like to think so, humans are not exempt from that, nor should we be. (if we never had checks and balances to our population, we would overpopulate compared to our capacity, which some of us think is already happening)

Anyway what I'm trying to say is not that the virus should prevail (it won't; we will) but that we should realize that these are the kinds of trials that humans have always had to deal with and will always have to deal with. Yes, it's scary, and it's been so many years since we've had a similar challenge that we don't have recent historical lore to lean upon -- time to harken back to the 1918 flu as well as to the great depression in the 1930s. But it's not unexpected, historically speaking. And it's certainly not going to be vanquished if we try to maintain our comfort zones when they are the very activities allowing the virus to spread!

A saying that captures it well for me is "It's not that hard times are coming -- it's that soft times are going."

Yes, exactly! Just imagine, if it were somehow possible for every single person who has this virus, whether they know it or not, to simply isolate themselves until they are well, the virus would *poof* be gone!

Of course that is not possible. But we need to approach it as closely as we can. And since most of us cannot be 100% sure we haven't been exposed, that's why we ALL need to just stay home for a bit. Even if we can't make it go poof, we can hopefully cut it down to a much fewer number of cases that can then be treated by the medical system without overwhelming them.

All MOO of course

WASHINGTON

Inslee to order all bars/restaurants to close to fight virus
[...]

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said Sunday night that he would order all bars, restaurants, entertainment and recreation facilities to temporarily close to fight the spread of COVID-19 in the state with by far the most deaths in the U.S. from the disease.

In a statement Inslee said the ban, to be issued via emergency proclamation Monday, wouldn’t apply to grocery stores and pharmacies and that restaurants could continue take-out and delivery services.

No time frame was given on how long the restrictions will last. A spokesman for Inslee said they would take effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. The governor also revised his ban on events to prohibit gatherings of 50 or more people. Previously the size limit was more than 250.

[...]

Other governors have instituted such measures. California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday called for all bars, wineries, nightclubs and brewpubs to close in the nation’s most populous state. The governors of Ohio, Massachusetts and Illinois also ordered bars and restaurants to shutter.

Public health officials in the Seattle area reported two more COVID-19 deaths, bring the total statewide to at least 42.

[...]

CALIFORNIA

California governor calls for closure of all bars, wineries
California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday called for all bars, wineries, nightclubs and brewpubs to close and urged seniors and people with chronic health conditions to isolate themselves at home in a bid to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Restaurants may remain open but can serve only half as many as their maximum occupancies to create space between diners, Newsom said at a news conference.

[...]

California has confirmed 335 cases of the virus and six deaths. The virus usually causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. But the governor is urging the state’s 5.3 million people 65 and older and people with chronic health conditions to stay at home because they can be hit with more severe illness, including pneumonia.

[...]

ABC News on Twitter
BREAKING: LA Mayor Garcetti "taking executive action to help prevent the spread of COVID-19…by closing bars, nightclubs, restaurants (except takeout/delivery), entertainment venues and gyms until March 31 unless extended. Grocery stores will remain open." https://abcn.ws/2QilxEZ
ETM4G5eWAAIM_4r.jpg

11:40 PM - 15 Mar 2020

Restaurants aren’t the only ones taking a hit, believe me.

It already has affected various job sectors.

Its a hard hit for many people.

It sucks.

It’s going to be hard for everyone.

Certain measures are required to help control spread.

It’s either that or more people die.

And this goes on and on and on.

There is no choice here.

People will all know what I’m talking about in a few weeks, if not sooner.

Unfortunately.

I’ve watched it happen in China, S. Korea, Italy...

Some people are going to be too sick to complain here shortly.

Once we start looking more like Wuhan people will wake up.

It’s too bad it has to go down like that.

People educate yourself on this virus. It is highly highly highly contagious.

Restaurant workers. You are not the only ones.

“We must stand together in solidarity.”
-Dr. Tedros

Exactly. It sucks in so many ways. But today I'm complaining that instead of getting a grocery delivery slot for tomorrow or the next day, the earliest I can get is next week. I know other people have their own complaints, I've seen people complain that their friends and relatives foreign holidays have been canceled and they're really upset and disappointed.

Those doctors and nurses in northern Italy wish they had so little to complain about, don't they :(

I am thinking maybe we're going to have to find other ways than living in total lockdown for months and 50% of businesses closed down. Maybe as the tests become faster and more available we'll have to switch to testing a lot more and having the ones who test positive shut in their homes instead of everyone else shut in their homes? Then when the serology tests become widely available it ought to be easier to tell who's already had the virus and is carrying antibodies so that they won't have to be locked in their homes.

This is all early days yet, both for case rates, death rates, and for how we get used to living with it.

Why you should STOP 'stockpiling' booze: How drinking alcohol will impact your immunity and leave you at higher risk of catching coronavirus

How drinking alcohol will impact your immunity and leave you at higher risk of catching coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

There is a Smirnoff vodka shortage in some of the supermarkets in Glasgow, Scotland. I’m not kidding people are panic buying it.
What makes you think they’re drinking it? They’re prob making hand sanitizer!

Absolutely!

One of ours is recuperating from a leg operation upstairs; we have to keep him quiet.

Wishing him well! One of my cats had surgery last week and the most exhausting thing of all (after stressing over the run-up to the op) was keeping her quiet afterwards. Ha! She was so high on painkillers she raced around the house, wall-of-death’ing it at great speed. She finally came to rest in a bookcase, where she spent the next two hours disguised as a paperback.
Off topic, I know, but I think these maniacs are going to be a great source of comfort as this situation unfolds.

So without medical care?

Non-pharmaceutical interventions are usually things that are done to prevent. Not referring to treatment and Medical Care. Things like social distancing, not touching your face, washing your hands, closing schools, closing cities, restricting business openings, Etc

Last edited:
Taylor Swift Urges Fans to Stay Home Amid COVID-19 Outbreak
[...]

“I love you so much and need to express my concern that things aren’t being taken seriously enough right now,” she wrote. “I’m seeing lots of get-togethers and hangs and parties still happening. This is the time to cancel plans, actually truly isolate as much as you can and don’t assume that because you don’t feel sick that you aren’t possibly passing something on to someone elderly or vulnerable to this.

“It’s a really scary time, but we need to make sacrifices right now,” she added.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-6.29.42-PM.png

[...]

Norway College Urges Students To Return From 'Poorly Developed' U.S. Amid COVID-19 | HuffPost
Norway’s renowned University of Science and Technology has issued an alert urging students studying abroad to return home as a response to the coronavirus pandemic — specifically singling out the U.S.

The warning from the nation’s largest university, with some 40,00 students, applies “especially” to students staying in nations with “poorly developed health services,” as well as countries, “for example the USA,” with a “poorly developed collective infrastructure.”

The alert notes it can be difficult in the U.S. to “get transport to the airport if you don’t have a car.” It added, apparently referring to “poorly developed health services,” that, “The same applies if you don’t have health insurance.”

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member