Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
During the press conference that just took place, I heard some new information on what people over 60 should look for besides coughing, shortness of breath and fever. They said that for people in the over 60 target range, a fever of 99.6 F is considered high. MOO, and am waiting to see a transcript or watch it again when it is available on you tube. This would be important to know.

I too heard that for the FIRST time. I thought everywhere all over the world had a standard of 100.4 . Need to do a bat call to Dr. Campbell to ask?

Indeed, that ER is HUGE! 40 rooms maybe? Also a kids ER with about 12 rooms. Why 3 TENTS???
EEK!
Moo
The tents are to keep those possibly infected with the virus from entering the ER or the ICU. The Nebraska Medical Center has not admitted one coronavirus patient via the ER. The risk of contamination is too great. All have been admitted to either the biocontainment or isolation facilities directly.

Lessons From U.S. Hospitals Caring For COVID-19 Patients

In an effort to contain the spread, patients at Sacred Heart Medical Center are in special isolation rooms designed to prevent the virus from escaping.

"All the air is sanitized before being exhausted out," says Compton-Phillips, "so that germs cannot go from being in the room, through a vent system into the rest of the hospital, or out into the air of the community."
There are 10 such rooms at her hospital to isolate patients, she says.

At the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, 14 patients have been treated. Four have since been cleared and released from the hospital. Two had tested negative, but because of close contact with infected individuals were being monitored. Two had tested positive for COVID-19, but are now symptom-free and have tested negative for the virus in three separate tests.

Eleven people are still in the hospital quarantine unit and are being monitored. Most have "minimal symptoms and are stable," according to Shelly Schwedhelm, executive director of emergency management and bio-preparedness at Nebraska Medical. These patients, too, are being cared for in isolation rooms with special ventilation systems.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

The students here are being required to leave the dorms, unless they have no where else to go. Online courses only until the end of the semester. The university will ship or store their belongings. I had wondered about whether or not the students would be required to leave. But that leaves me wondering about how they are supposed to get home if they are coming from far away. Fly???

Last edited by a moderator:
bbm
Oh great, now I've got the M**advertiser censored*S*H theme song embedded in my head! ;) Always thought the title of that song was odd: "Suicide is Painless." IMO
It has its origin in the movie M**advertiser censored*S*H which the tv show came from. Don't wanna give too much away but "Painless" was a character's nickname. Now you've made me want to see that movie again.

I of course don't have any suggestions on slowing down the spread of the virus. I only think that focusing on one industry (restaurant and bars) if not going to slow down the spread. CDC is certainly most qualified, but I haven't read that CDC has suggested not visiting restaurants? If so, can you please post a link. Thank you.

MOO
It is the CDC who recommended closing down gatherings of 50 or more.

CDC Recommends Against Gatherings Of 50 Or More, As States Close Bars And Restaurants

This is a huge crisis. We all need to cooperate even if it’s a sacrifice and even if we don’t agree IMO. My small town’s two major employers are a state university and a very famous live theatre company...both are closed down, perhaps for the quarter and season. The small businesses downtown are mostly restaurants, art galleries and expensive shops. The tourists, not the locals, keep them in business. I hate that some will probably close permanently. But at this point, shutting down is likely going to happen as a matter of life or death. This is a very desirable retirement location and the population is aging. I’m glad I’m not the one making these hard choices, but I support those who are.

Last edited:

Moo- none of your posts have struck me as diminishing the seriousness of this virus. Seems you are just noticing & questioning the inconsistencies of strategies to contain it. I’ve had similar questions. Nothing wrong with that imo. Grocery stores in my area are far more crowded than restaurants. And my daughter’s college went to online courses only- but allowed dorms to stay open. Many decisions right now make little sense. So good to question & think for yourself. Mo

Right. The virus is as serious, or not, as it is. As of today there have been 153 517 cases and 5735 deaths -- none new in the US, which stands at 41 deaths, I believe. https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0315-sitrep-55-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=33daa5cb_6

Mostly related to a hospice care type business in Washington. As opposed to H1n1, which had 61 million cases in the US and more than 15k deaths. Or the flu.

2009 H1N1 Pandemic
From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
____
Remember the Last Global Pandemic? Probably Not

That doesn’t seem fair, given that H1N1 did infect as much as 24% of the world’s population. The overall fatality rate was quite low, at about 0.02% of estimated cases — five time lower than the 0.1% average fatality rate for the seasonal flu — but that’s mainly because H1N1 had little effect on the demographic usually hit hardest by influenza: those 65 and older. For younger people, H1N1 was more dangerous than the seasonal flu, and in countries in South Asia and Africa with youthful populations the H1N1 pandemic really was a big deal, with the CDC later estimating a global death toll ranging from 151,700 to 575,400.

Still, that’s lower than the range that the CDC and WHO now put on the annual death toll from seasonal flu: 290,000 to 650,000. In the U.S., an estimated 60.8 million people contracted the new H1N1 virus from April 2009 through April 2010, 274,304 were hospitalized and 12,469 died. Because the CDC changed the statistical model it uses to make such estimates in 2010 that last number can’t really be compared to recent estimates of seasonal flu fatalities, which ranged from 12,000 in 2011-2012 to 61,000 in 2017-2018. But earlier estimates of overall flu-related deaths in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 indicate that both flu seasons were less deadly than average.

P

100%. I have really struggled with my anger around the lack of testing over the past few weeks. When people, who don’t read or study to understand this, hear X amount of cases they tend to act accordingly. And when the numbers seem low- as they do when we don’t test many- they think it’s no big deal.

Such a shame. Proper testing 2 weeks ago would have made such a huge difference in the trajectory of the virus in the US. I can only hope that we will mitigate the damage and still flatten the curve.

MOO.

Testing non-travellers who do not exhibit symptoms is a waste of resources. Nothing will make a huge difference to the trajectory of this virus other than shutting down workplaces, schools, gyms etc and people practising social distancing or self isolating.

That's how to slow it down or eradicate it eventually. A test at 10am on Monday is just a snapshot, you could catch the virus an hour later on the way home. It means nothing!

Party's over: 4 states close bars, restaurants over virus
On Saturday night, revelers in many parts of the country ignored warnings against attending large gatherings to prevent the spread of coronavirus. On Sunday, it became clear that in many places, the party is over.

Illinois, Ohio, Massachusetts, Washington state and New York City are among the places that ordered bars to close and restaurants to stop dine-in service. Takeout and delivery will still be allowed.

In New Orleans and Chicago, people clad in green for St. Patrick’s Day packed bars and spilled onto crowded sidewalks Saturday, even after the cities canceled their parades.

[...]

Oklahoma’s governor tweeted a picture of himself and his children at a crowded metro restaurant Saturday night.

In the since-deleted tweet, Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt wrote: “Eating with my kids and all my fellow Oklahomans at the @CollectiveOKC. It’s packed tonight!”

“The governor will continue to take his family out to dinner and to the grocery store without living in fear, and encourages Oklahomans to do the same,” Charlie Hannema, a spokesman for the governor, said in an email.

[...]

The tents are to keep those possibly infected with the virus from entering the ER or the ICU. The Nebraska Medical Center has not admitted one coronavirus patient via the ER. The risk of contamination is too great. All have been admitted to either the biocontainment or isolation facilities directly.

Lessons From U.S. Hospitals Caring For COVID-19 Patients

In an effort to contain the spread, patients at Sacred Heart Medical Center are in special isolation rooms designed to prevent the virus from escaping.

"All the air is sanitized before being exhausted out," says Compton-Phillips, "so that germs cannot go from being in the room, through a vent system into the rest of the hospital, or out into the air of the community."
There are 10 such rooms at her hospital to isolate patients, she says.

At the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, 14 patients have been treated. Four have since been cleared and released from the hospital. Two had tested negative, but because of close contact with infected individuals were being monitored. Two had tested positive for COVID-19, but are now symptom-free and have tested negative for the virus in three separate tests.

Eleven people are still in the hospital quarantine unit and are being monitored. Most have "minimal symptoms and are stable," according to Shelly Schwedhelm, executive director of emergency management and bio-preparedness at Nebraska Medical. These patients, too, are being cared for in isolation rooms with special ventilation systems.
The hospitals here are not allowing anyone in except authorized individuals.
Guards are at the doors.
Moo

Good morning everyone. 04.45 here and once again, I.cannot.sleep.
The first thing I did - after checking here and gosh, 50+ pages to catch up on - was check my emails for the supermarket delivery update. There are going to be some very happy and relieved cats here - their snacks, food and kibble will be here by 7.30am. Not one substitution and not one thing missing. I’m so relieved. We now have about six weeks worth of everything to keep the unruly cherubs happy, with another delivery booked for a fortnight’s time.

Good morning everyone. 04.45 here and once again, I.cannot.sleep.
The first thing I did - after checking here and gosh, 50+ pages to catch up on - was check my emails for the supermarket delivery update. There are going to be some very happy and relieved cats here - their snacks, food and kibble will be here by 7.30am. Not one substitution and not one thing missing. I’m so relieved. We now have about six weeks worth of everything to keep the unruly cherubs happy, with another delivery booked for a fortnight’s time.
That's great news @CeeCeeCat Our furbabies are much loved members of the family!

We are getting near a new thread. If a moderator @sillybilly @JerseyGirl could please link the memorial thread for those who have died of the virus to the start of the new thread. This would be much appreciated.

This is the link to The Jury Room Rest In Peace - We Will Miss You section with the thread:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/covid-19-coronavirus-memorial-thread.513454/

I've added the link in the OP of this thread greg, so it will get carried forward.

AP Explains: What did the Federal Reserve do Sunday and why?
[...]

Collectively, its actions are intended to keep markets functioning and lending flowing to businesses and consumers. Otherwise, as revenue dries up for countless small businesses that have suddenly lost customers, these employers could be forced to lay off workers or even seek bankruptcy protection.

By slashing its benchmark short-term rate and pumping hundreds of billions of dollars into the financial system, the Fed’s moves recalled the emergency action it took at the height of the financial crisis. Starting in 2008, the Fed cut its key rate to near zero and kept it there for seven years. The central bank has now returned that rate — which influences many consumer and business loans — to its record-low level.

And yet Chairman Jerome Powell acknowledged in a conference call with reporters that the Fed’s action isn’t likely to prevent the recession. The main reason: The economy is coming to a standstill because of the necessary behavioral changes being made across the country to stem the viral outbreak — an avoidance of travel, shopping and mass gatherings.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member