Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to disagree, but if we don't feel sick, why can't we support our local restaurants?

MOO
Because you might be a carrier and unknowingly transmit the virus to someone else and it would be impossible to track the community spread. The strategy is to flatten the infection curve so our health systems can manage those who will really get ill.

Our local news just gave a list of stores, bars, events that some of those recently diagnosed have attended. Warren Buffett's daughter has been exposed. She is isolating herself and says she feels great. A few days ago, she attended a community event and was seated near a pastor of a large church who has tested positive. He recently returned from a trip to Spain. He said his primary symptom was a sore throat he first attributed to seasonal allergies.

JMO

Fl. gov. DeSantis in press conf. now-
Big problem w/ spring breakers on beaches in
large numbers and packed bars and restaurants.
But he won't make any changes til he talks to CDC on Monday. He thinks CDC will make suggestions to deal with this.

Ha! He needs to sign up to follow CDC on twitter perhaps?

Recent Tweet from CDC
New: Starting immediately and for the next 8 weeks, CDC recommends cancelling all events of 50 or more people. Full recommendation here: https://bit.ly/3ahDsU2 #COVID19 CDC on Twitter

Idk if anyone thinks of working from home as a luxury.
Can you make coffee to go before you leave home? Monday’s with no cof is not the best way to start the week, imo.
Well, I wish I could stay home. But my job can not be done remotely. Not everybody has the luxury of staying home. But sounds like it's going to be a nightmare not even able to get a coffee.

About 10 years ago, I took my son to a fast food restaurant. I always used the drive thrus but he wanted to go inside. It was disgusting. I have not been in a fast food restaurant since then. Dirty floors, dirty tables, drink spills , stick floors, etc. Gross.
Well, I always look if the place is clean first.

Idk if anyone thinks of working from home as a luxury.
Can you make coffee to go before you leave home? Monday’s with no cof is not the best way to start the week, imo.

I would rather be at work than working from home. I like to have the separate places - work and home. Being around my spouse all day is sometimes not that great.

I would rather be at work than working from home. I like to have the separate places - work and home. Being around my spouse all day is sometimes not that great.
At this particular time I would much rather work from home but it's not an option as I have to be physically present at my job to work. Unless they close the whole place down and they haven't done that.

About 10 years ago, I took my son to a fast food restaurant. I always used the drive thrus but he wanted to go inside. It was disgusting. I have not been in a fast food restaurant since then. Dirty floors, dirty tables, drink spills , stick floors, etc. Gross.
Ita & I dated a guy that owns 14, lol. Not that he was ever in one. I used to ask myself wth is that thing in between the buns, I still don’t know. Moo

I was speaking to one of our Dr's yesterday. He said that one of the treatments that is showing promise is Chloroquine (one of the medications used to treat malaria) and zinc! I've been using zinc lozenges all winter. I've had great luck with no colds or flu for the two years I've been using them. Luck? Maybe. Or maybe not!

Yes, I reposted the video here.
Plaquenil Uses, Dosage & Side Effects - Drugs.com

This is such great news. So glad you shared this. I've been on PLAQUENIL for years for RA. It's an anti-malarial, but works for my RA. I don't have side effects with it, but do need to get my eyes checked on a regular basis.

At the 6:00 mark starts talking about Plaquenil.

Yes, I'm thrilled as you can see. I reposted the video someone shared,
see in my above quoted post. I might be immune to catching it. Good, my lungs can't take anymore damage.

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)
Plaquenil Uses, Dosage & Side Effects - Drugs.com

Well, I wish I could stay home. But my job can not be done remotely. Not everybody has the luxury of staying home. But sounds like it's going to be a nightmare not even able to get a coffee.
why can't you take a thermos of coffee? I'm confident convenience stores, bodegas, fast food shops such as McDonalds will all have a supply of coffee and food.

JMO

<modsnip: quoted post and reference to it have been removed> It's true that some businesses might not survive -- but we must fight the virus, and the virus' priority is not the maintenance of human culture.

This may not be a popular statement, but I think it needs to be said: We as a culture have gotten so used to our comforts and to the idea of our life we have created in our little bubble of indoor shelter with electricity and a zillion appliances, internet, screen entertainment, lots of food, and our invented world of finance, occupations and vocations, cultural rituals, sports, etc -- we've had so few disruptions to that world in recent decades that we've forgotten that, to put it bluntly, "nature bats last".

The world is full of species that struggle constantly with checks and balances to their population -- diseases, predators, famines, climate shifts, and more. As much as we'd like to think so, humans are not exempt from that, nor should we be. (if we never had checks and balances to our population, we would overpopulate compared to our capacity, which some of us think is already happening)

Anyway what I'm trying to say is not that the virus should prevail (it won't; we will) but that we should realize that these are the kinds of trials that humans have always had to deal with and will always have to deal with. Yes, it's scary, and it's been so many years since we've had a similar challenge that we don't have recent historical lore to lean upon -- time to harken back to the 1918 flu as well as to the great depression in the 1930s. But it's not unexpected, historically speaking. And it's certainly not going to be vanquished if we try to maintain our comfort zones when they are the very activities allowing the virus to spread!

A saying that captures it well for me is "It's not that hard times are coming -- it's that soft times are going."

Exactly. Once again - a virus cannot survive without a host. As in person 1 is a host who then comes in contact with person 2 & 3. Now the virus moves on to them. And the next people come along and the virus moves along too. Thus the virus stays "alive." Take away the host(s) and kill off the virus. Or in this case now, probably we can only slow it down. Good enough for me. Stay inside and away from others - that denies its access to the next person.

What is a virus? How do they spread? How do they make us sick?
Yes, exactly! Just imagine, if it were somehow possible for every single person who has this virus, whether they know it or not, to simply isolate themselves until they are well, the virus would *poof* be gone!

Of course that is not possible. But we need to approach it as closely as we can. And since most of us cannot be 100% sure we haven't been exposed, that's why we ALL need to just stay home for a bit. Even if we can't make it go poof, we can hopefully cut it down to a much fewer number of cases that can then be treated by the medical system without overwhelming them.

All MOO of course

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

grocery stores, pharmacies and work are not social settings. Distance from others can be maintained. What health department authorities in the U.S. are trying to track is community exposure so that those who may truly get ill can have ample warning. On our local ABC newscast tonight the anchors did not stand together. They were in different parts of the studio.

JMO

Fabulous post!

<modsnip: quoted post and reference to it have been removed> It's true that some businesses might not survive -- but we must fight the virus, and the virus' priority is not the maintenance of human culture.

This may not be a popular statement, but I think it needs to be said. We as a culture have gotten so used to our comforts and to the idea that our life we have created in our little bubble of indoor shelter with electricity and a zillion appliances, internet, screen entertainment, lots of food, and our invented world of finance, occupations and vocations, cultural rituals, sports, etc -- we've had so few disruptions to that world in recent decades that we've forgotten that, to put it bluntly, "nature bats last".

The world is full of species that struggle constantly with checks and balances to their population -- diseases, predators, famines, climate shifts, and more. As much as we'd like to think so, humans are not exempt from that, nor should we be. (if we never had checks and balances to our population, we would overpopulate compared to our capacity, which some of us think is already happening)

Anyway what I'm trying to say is not that the virus should prevail (it won't; we will) but that we should realize that these are the kinds of trials that humans have always had to deal with and will always have to deal with. Yes, it's scary, and it's been so many years since we've had a similar challenge that we don't have recent historical lore to lean upon -- time to harken back to the 1918 flu as well as to the great depression in the 1930s. But it's not unexpected, historically speaking. And it's certainly not going to be vanquished if we try to maintain our comfort zones when they are the very activities allowing the virus to spread!

A saying that captures it well for me is "It's not that hard times are coming -- it's that soft times are going."

Yes, exactly! Just imagine, if it were somehow possible for every single person who has this virus, whether they know it or not, to simply isolate themselves until they are well, the virus would *poof* be gone!

Of course that is not possible. But we need to approach it as closely as we can. And since most of us cannot be 100% sure we haven't been exposed, that's why we ALL need to just stay home for a bit. Even if we can't make it go poof, we can hopefully cut it down to a much fewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member