Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten US travellers test positive for coronavirus, isolated in South Australia's Barossa Valley

A group of 18 American tourists are being quarantined in South Australia after 10 of them tested positive for coronavirus.
SA Health's Dr Nicola Spurrier said the diagnosed cases included a male in his 50s, a male in his 60s, and a female in her 70s. SA Health is awaiting details of the remaining seven confirmed cases.
"We have a tour group of 18 people who have been staying in the Barossa (Valley) and overnight, 10 positive test have come through for that group," Dr Spurrier said.

Ten US travellers test positive for COVID-19 in South Australia

Barossa Valley, beautiful wine country. :)

I hope these folks recover fully, have a good story to tell when they return safely home after bans are lifted :-) , they're in good hands. :-)

Sadly, an animal shelter near me is seeing a huge uptick in dogs being dropped by people uncertain they can feed them much longer. The spokesperson asked everyone to reconsider & spoke to the benefit of having an animal, winding up with “they were here for us, shouldn’t we be here for them” (paraphrased). I was afraid this would happen & we are only in week one.

Isn't that the role of church leadership?

JMO

BBM. We'll agree to disagree because imo, there is nothing silly about people who want to go to church and pray. No government official is going to force a church to close its doors just as no government official can prevent people from entering a church. Separation of church and state is taken very seriously by SCOTUS. The Governor is not forcing people to go TO church. That's an individual's decision.

JMO

Online teachings is happening globally, perhaps religious leaders should take heed.

My husband said the same thing. I disagreed, I think there will be be more domestic violence, suicides, and crimes. I told him this isn't a blizzard, no one is cuddling by the fire watching snow fall.
BBM. Calls to hotlines have increased. I think most--if not all--of the SIL orders exempt victims of domestic violence and the social services trying to help victims.

JMO

Oh I wholeheartedly agree! If the “general public” could see the true numbers of the infected here in the US it would shock their arrogant and/or ignorant bums into staying home.

Our shoddy testing, and therefore low numbers being released to public is what has sent us down the path of apathy. Public perception. This will result in longer national quarantine, greater long term economic damage, etc.

MOO.

The best message might be that the US is first in line behind Italy regarding international numbers. That might be sobering.

My neighbours are in their 80s and I've offered to help. They aren't interested and are going about their business like nothing has changed. The husband has COPD! I'm worried for them. And my best friend's parents who are in their early 90s are the same way. They still make weekly trips to the grocery store. I think a lot of seniors are in denial for one reason or another.
I have experienced the same thing. There is an elderly couple whom live nearby, the husband has diabetes and is on dialysis. I spoke with them twice, and offered to get them stocked with supplies last week. They were down to 2 rolls of TP, and needed groceries. She let me get her 1 pkg of TP, and some yogurts, but declined anything else. I worry about them, and explained why they need to be extra careful. In this particular case, I believe it's pride.

On a different topic, I'm still upset about the UK health care workers and their inability to find food.

Nurses are coming off long shifts, have had little food, have to go to stores and try and feed their families. There's no food in the larger cities, which is where the healthcare is. Specifically, there's no protein, eggs and milk are gone, and no bread. Nurses need the best nutrition IMO. I wonder how it's going in NYC with that aspect.

We've got food banks here that still have food for health workers, but I sure do hope things don't get worse.

'There's No Fruit Or Veg': U.K. Nurse Makes Emotional Plea To Panicked Shoppers

And the work. The WORK the healthcare workers are doing (everywhere). It's crazy.

I'm sure it's the same in NY already. The next week is going to make or break our own nation's responses.

There's no confirmation that my 24 year old son contracted the virus, but he has enough symptoms to be tested. He's a national rower and competitive swimmer. He has bronchitis and an unusual sounding cough. That's a pretty serious outcome for a fit, active healthy young man.
Oh no. How is he feeling? Bronch’ causes fatigue and so many symptoms in common with Covid. Best of luck to him.
Congressman Diaz said he started off with horrible headache, furthering my belief I already had my bout with Covid. After suffering with allergies my entire life, I know my headaches. The headaches I experienced in January were not explainable.
Mario Diaz-Balart: First US Congress member tests positive for ...
www.independent.co.uk › News › World › Americas › US politics

3 days ago - Representative Mario Diaz-Balart has tested positive for coronavirus, making him the first US Congress ... The Florida Republican first began to show symptoms on Saturday evening, suffering from a fever and headache.

Yep, that’s what I’m also realizing- we have to take it upon ourselves to protect ourselves. The general public still isn’t fully complying.

I’m in official shelter-in-place territory and I went to Whole Foods yesterday- decked out in facemask and gloves- and you’d have hardly known there was a pandemic happening (aside from the aisles being nearly bare). But otherwise people were just meandering around the store- not keeping 6 feet apart. It was very stressful every time I went down an aisle because I’d try to avoid people and they’d just pop on over and peruse the shelf right next to me. The checkout lines were not keeping people distant, and not one of the checkers was wearing gloves.

And then today my family went to a Bay Area open space area- a huge park environment- and we actually had to leave after being there only 5 minutes. The trails were PACKED with people. Sure, everybody trying to get out- but it’s as if people thought “oh, as long as I’m outside I’m social distancing”. NO. When you’re passing 50 or more people at 1 foot apart on the trails and walking just a few steps behind people you are NOT social distancing. So yeah, we felt very uncomfortable and left.

So annoying.

You know, I have to laugh at myself sometimes. When I was in the Kroger a few days ago, I caught myself thinking angry thoughts at the shoppers around me, silently judging them for not being prepared earlier, and for clogging up the aisles. Then it occurred to me. . . "they" are probably thinking the exact same things about ME. LOL.

Thursday morning, I was on my way to work and was surprised at how heavy the traffic was. Again, I found myself thinking: Why are you out and about? What's so important that you have to be driving around this morning instead of staying home? Again, they may have been thinking the same thing about me in my car.

The problem of the outdoors being overcrowded is partly because everyone else also thought it would be a great idea to get "out" and away from people. I'm not a big "texter," but so many people are texting constantly. You'd think it would be easier for them to keep an acceptable social distance from their friends/family while enjoying the wide open spaces. No need to chat while walking, just text each other from 6 feet away!

Aren't humans funny? IMO

Sending you all healing thoughts. His lungs IMO are in top form so if he does have it I believe he will have a very good outcome. Keep us posted.

Thank you. I couldn't tell him what I was thinking because he quite happily thought it was allergies. As soon as he was home, I told him to start the test process. As soon as he did the online test, the light bulb came on. I think he'll be okay in the long run, no worse off than most who survive.

Are any states proactively completely reserving motels near hospitals for less severe patients? Any states proactively just asking for medical supply donations? Local hospitals? Before it gets bad? Jmo

The OR governor has stopped non-emergency medical treatment to preserve supplies and is asking for donations. She has also set up a 250 bed emergency hospital at the state fairgrounds.

Gov. Brown orders Oregon hospitals to stop all non-emergency procedures to preserve supplies

250-bed emergency hospital to open at Oregon State Fairgrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member