Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Students at the Oklahoma School of Science and Math (OSSM) are not in classrooms right now as the coronavirus pandemic continues, but they are still learning with online lesson. Dr. Frank Wang is the OSSM president, he also teaches math.

He is putting math lectures online for his students and for other Oklahoma school kids at home that use the pandemic to teach lessons in exponentials and functions.
Educator uses COVID-19 pandemic to teach math to Oklahoma students

So...I go to YouTube to see if the math lectures are online for my granddaughter, and a little for me too (I was kinda weird in school. I was president of Mu Alpha Theta in my high school. I love math.) Anyway, I couldn’t find them yet (I’m gonna keep looking) but I found this from six years ago.

Louisiana
Latest Numbers:

• 34 deaths
  • 1,172 total cases
  • 5,948 tests conducted
41 of the 64 parishes of Louisiana have cases

Louisiana Coronavirus Updates: 34 dead, 'Stay at Home' order in effect
UPDATE as of noon today:

Total number of people in Louisiana testing positive for coronavirus

Total number of deaths

43 of 64 parishes of Louisiana have cases

Louisiana coronavirus tracking map: 1,388 positive cases | 46 dead | 8,603 tested

Latest Numbers:

• 46 deaths
  • 1,388 total cases
  • 43 of 64 parishes report cases
  • 271 hospitalized / 94 on ventilators
  • 8,603 tests conducted

Massachusetts
Ah the protocols they are a changing

We went from “mask wearing outside of direct patient care is prohibited and must stop” two days ago. To a “masks for everyone in the building staring tomorrow”
Like this (not my hospital)”Universal masking”
UMass Memorial staff now required to wear a face mask at all times during coronavirus pandemic
They have the labor pool making masks. They have gotten some donated items. Including some industrial type ppe.
This whole situation is surreal. One of my friends posted a picture on social media today of face masks she had sewn and was sending to Flint, Michigan. This makes no sense at all...:(:mad:

As per the cdc a bandana or scarf could be used. I call this the Better Than nothing method. And I use it on my short/10 minute bus ride home.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

I see they are finally figuring out what was obvious from the start. Meanwhile general public is still getting advice to not wear masks.

Where's the vent thread? Omg. So many are just sooooo extra! Everyone stay home. Great. Call the retailers of non-essential items and expect them to lose money because you're entitled. Forget about the people who have to come to work to deal with y'all, etc. Forget your manners, expect businesses to ki$$ your tail, stomp your feet and act a fool. We can hear your kids in the background: we hear your priorities. I bailed for the rest of the day. I simply cannot empathize with 1st world entitlement today
LOL. In other words, business as usual for some (especially retail workers) who have to deal with the public, even during BC (before covid) days.

This is the type of hysteria, and panic, that is not conducive to discourse.

Might the impact of empty grocery shelves be a worse threat than C19? THERE would be some real hysteria :)

Failed banks, riots in the streets, and a general anarchy reigning in the cities across America would be better than the death rate from C19? There would be some more REAL panic :)

It is my belief that the goal here is to test, monitor, address the viral outbreak, and also move to restore economic activity so as to avoid a collapse of the nation.

There is a balance necessary to keep the U.S. running.

BBM. That's an understatement. All they said was that they will continue to reassess and a meltdown results. Some want to insist FDA approved drugs for other illnesses can't be used to treat Covid-19. Uh, yes they can and are being used but even that will be impossible if the drug isn't in the hospital pharmacy inventory. There aren't a lot of meatpacking plants, hog farms or chicken facilities in the heart of NYC or San Francisco. I guess pharmaceuticals and food will appear in grocery and drug store inventory by magic.

In case folks haven't noticed, there is a shortage of workers trying to keep the supply chain running. Grocery, healthcare, railroad, airline and truck workers aren't able to shelter in place and their exposure places them at higher risk. I can only imagine the stress they are under.

JMO

rbbm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-1.5507379
"Social distancing, physical distancing, is the single best way to keep the people around you safe," Trudeau said. "What does that mean? It means keeping two metres between yourself and someone else. It means avoiding groups. It means staying home as much as possible."

No, it isn't easy. It's also the least we can ask of each other in the circumstances.

'You're putting others at risk, too'
"If you choose to ignore that advice, if you choose to get together with people or go to crowded places, you're not just putting yourself at risk," Trudeau continued.

"You're putting others at risk, too. Your elderly relative who is in a seniors' home, or your friend with a pre-existing condition. Our nurses and doctors on the front lines, our workers stocking shelves at a grocery store. They need you to make the right choices. They need you to do your part. We've all seen the pictures online of people who seem to think they're invincible. Well, you're not."

Trudeau announced that the federal government would soon start broadcasting these instructions through ads. But he also made it clear that citizens have a responsibility to keep themselves informed.

"Not having heard this message won't be an excuse," he said. "Listening is your duty and staying home is your way to serve."

Compared to the ways in which previous generations have been called on to serve, staying home seems like a very small burden.

I really appreciate our PM for this.

Based on what I have seen the date chosen to open up jobs and stop social isolation, April 12, is EXACTLY the beginning of the worst week for infections / ICU usage / COVID-19 deaths and massive shortages of PPE for heathcare providers.

This would be an absolutely disastrous time, IHMO, to be taking the brakes off of the process.

All it is going to take is one person in the WH inner circles to become ill and I think things will change very fast.

“Novel coronavirus cases rose by 129 to a total 720 in Colorado on Monday as Denver’s mayor issued a stay-at-home order for all city residents.

Mayor Michael Hancock expressed frustration with residents who continue to spend time with each other despite authorities’ calls for social distancing and self-isolation, which health officials say is necessary to slow the spread of the virus, as he issued the order Monday.

“The trends are not going in the right direction,” he said during a news conference Monday. “The incremental steps we’ve taken have not moved the needle as fast as we need to move in order to protect the residents of our city.””

Coronavirus cases in Colorado rise to 720 as Denver mayor shuts down city

——

Why Colorado Gov. Jared Polis has resisted a statewide stay-at-home order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads