Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my fears is that the US mail will stop if we don't do something. It's a real possibility. It would not be good in this crisis. Loan forgiveness is easier and quicker than other methods of supporting them.
And if the mail no longer delivers? Amazon has been using USPS instead of UPS for months here. I have never seen an Amazon Prime truck delivery. (Other cities - yes) Drugs are on auto refill and sent via USPS. Getting a new scrip to send to a local pharmacy requires a phone call to a doctor that takes days to get through.
JMO

That's an interesting graph. For example, is it telling me 40% of 30% tested in Washington state are dead?

I apologize, I misread the thing.

Lots of folks have difficulties reading percentages, no worries!

What one needs to look at, is what the graph says on the left and the bottom (aka x and y axis) for many of what we see here linked and posted....

If on the left the graph correlates to
  • 2% that equals = 2 out of 100 folks
  • 0.2% = 2 out of 1,000 folks
  • 0.02% = 2 out of 10,000 folks
  • 0.002% = 2 out of 100,000 folks

a lot of the newer graphs are doing log curves, so note that. It's to show exponential growth (which a true pandemic is... we want to flatten)

hope that helps.

Saw a post on a response to Mayor's order to shut down city which someone working at McDonalds drive-thru wants to wear a face mask and the boss won't let her. People getting very angry about the 'essential worker/business criteria' and I don't blame them.

I am glad people are staying home. However, there is a group who think they need to call, email, and physically walk into businesses and demand ridiculous things and act like complete
------------s! Some people's versions of staying home from work are driving through multiple states to visit relatives! I cannot apologize for nor empathize with sheer BS. The game the system people are out in full force. Its our employers' faults as well.

I just got a text from my son- who is disabled and works at a welcome center. He just had someone ( from NY no less) basically stop him from doing his job ( taking care of the weigh stations and truckers areas) and proceeded to lose his mind on my kid because not all the stalls in the restroom have TP. People have stolen a lot of it, and there is simply no stock.
That was my last straw today

Gosh I'm sorry. Your son's work is so appreciated. I used to spend a ton of time on the road and couldn't be more grateful for a friendly face and safe place to stop in the middle of nowhere.

Coronavirus Tests -- FEMA Administrator Says Trump Administration Will Use Defense Production Act | National Review

"The Trump administration will invoke the Defense Production Act for the first time on Tuesday as part of the response to the coronavirus pandemic, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced.

“We’re actually going to use the DPA for the first time today. There are some test kits we need to get our hands on,” FEMA administrator Peter Gaynor said on CNN."

Saw a post on a response to Mayor's order to shut down city which someone working at McDonalds drive-thru wants to wear a face mask and the boss won't let her. People getting very angry about the 'essential worker/business criteria' and I don't blame them.

That manager should be fired.

Colorado health officials mum on details of coronavirus outbreaks at 5 residential health care facilities
6:59 AM, Mar 24, 2020

“Colorado public health officials have revealed they know of at least five “outbreaks” of the new coronavirus inside residential and other non-hospital health care facilities in the state and have notified people who may have been exposed.”

[...]

“These facilities in Colorado rank among at least 146 nursing homes nationwide where federal authorities on Monday said coronavirus cases are confirmed. Roughly 15,000 nursing homes around the nation house 1.3 million people.”

Iowa mayors urge Reynolds to issue a coronavirus stay-at-home order Mayors in Iowa are concerned that the governor won't order stay at home.
March 24: 19 more positive COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 124 total 19 new postive results over night
That’s sad for Idaho. New Jersey later coordinated with New York for a complete shut down after people from NY were coming to NJ to eat and drink in restaurants.

The mayors in towns like Iowa will just see the same thing and the virus will spread.

If it is not a national shut down then it needs to be a state shut down. Town-wide shut downs will not work and will only continue the spread.
I live in Iowa. I hear and read everyday how many Iowans want a lockdown, shelter in place, and non-essential businesses to close. She does things in increments as other states have done: 1st schools, then restaurants and bars, and most recent was the salons, barbers, tattoo shops, etc. I think she is watching other states very closely and waiting for maybe more states like Minnesota, Missouri, and Nebraska to do lock downs. I know Illinois and Wisconsin already have. IIRC, parts of Missouri have as well. MOO

Gosh I'm sorry. Your son's work is so appreciated. I used to spend a ton of time on the road and couldn't be more grateful for a friendly face and safe place to stop in the middle of nowhere.

The truckers have been so good to and so careful staying a good distance away from the workers. We are 6 or 7 states away from NY ( who has the most cases)- for the one who asked about why I named the state. There are signs posted in the restrooms that states that is all they have- please don't take it- the truckers are being given priority when at all possible. I really am not thrilled that this guy was spitting all over him while screaming as well.

ETA- this is not a business- it is the Welcome Center for a state on the highway. It is open for the truckers and workers until it can't be= due to lack of supplies. It's not for tourists right now...

Last edited:
That manager should be fired.
I think all the clerks working in the supermarkets or fast food places should be provided with disposable surgical masks and gloves. They are exposed to a large number of people. Of course we don't have any surgical masks to spare, do we? We are so completely unprepared for this.

I think all the clerks working in the supermarkets or fast food places should be provided with disposable surgical masks and gloves. They are exposed to a large number of people. Of course we don't have any surgical masks to spare, do we? We are so completely unprepared for this.

They should also be getting hazard pay at this point.

I suspect this may be an important factor in the deaths of healthy, younger people. It is a phenomenon that killed thousands in 1918: Cytokine storm.

. . . Sometimes the body’s response to infection can go into overdrive. For example, when SARS -CoV-2 – the virus behind the covid-19 pandemic – enters the lungs, it triggers an immune response, attracting immune cells to the region to attack the virus, resulting in localised inflammation. But in some patients, excessive or uncontrolled levels of cytokines are released which then activate more immune cells, resulting in hyperinflammation. This can seriously harm or even kill the patient. . . .

Read more: Cytokine storm

ETA italics

I agree with you. There was a person earlier who said it's not fair that NY is requesting more tests when other places need them just as much. They said NYers can already get tests if they want. Thats just not true.

Edited to add: I live in NYC. Also adding: California population isn't as condensed and the rate of infection is lower.

Yep. And in our most rural/less populated areas, people think it will never arrive at their house. They do not want to be tested and NY should get the kits.

It's too bad we don't have warehouses of supplies in various places around the continent - starting with the densely populated regions.

Yes, maybe that works great when you live by a Walmart. The closest Walmart is 2.5 hours away.

Which is the difference between living in a large rural area, and DC.

We once had a guy come from DC here, he had scheduled to see 6 VA clinics in 3 days. He managed to see three. People from back East, just don't understand the concept of distance in Montana.

My wish is for rural Americans to test at a local hospital or ideally, a doctors office.

Last edited:
This afternoon's call with CDC and clinicians speaking for people at high risk and underlying medical conditions with covid-19, has been postponed until Friday at 2 pm eastern for those that were going to listen to it.

Screenshot_20200324-131501_Facebook.jpg

What happened to Trump’s idea to have testing in Walmart parking lots?

Thankfully testing is popping up all over here in venue and community college parking lots.

Why aren’t other governors being pro-active?

It's not a good idea to have parking lot testing, because tons of people who can't be tested show up (asymptomatic). People who do need it get out of their cars and mill about. People get agitated because they think taking a test is going to help/save them. It overwhelms medical personnel and takes them out of a hospital setting and into conditions that are very unpredictable. Law enforcement has to be there.

Its only advantage is that if people are forced to stay in their cars, there's less chance of exposure. At the minimum, a nurse needs to be on site (away from nursing resources). Tests need to be saved for hospitals and their admissions process.

Every single person showing up for any kind of testing has to be considered positive by staff. New gloves needed for each test (and we're running out). Test kits would be exhausted in a day or less and thousands of people who test positive would remain asymptomatic, whereas people who are already well on their way to dying would not get tested in hospitals, as kits would be gone.

IMO, total recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member