Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa mayors urge Reynolds to issue a coronavirus stay-at-home order Mayors in Iowa are concerned that the governor won't order stay at home.
March 24: 19 more positive COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 124 total 19 new postive results over night

I live in Iowa. I hear and read everyday how many Iowans want a lockdown, shelter in place, and non-essential businesses to close. She does things in increments as other states have done: 1st schools, then restaurants and bars, and most recent was the salons, barbers, tattoo shops, etc. I think she is watching other states very closely and waiting for maybe more states like Minnesota, Missouri, and Nebraska to do lock downs. I know Illinois and Wisconsin already have. IIRC, parts of Missouri have as well. MOO
NY, NJ, CT, PA, and DE supposedly coordinating together. Though I see on Philly news that not all of PA is shut down. Only the counties in and around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and one in the Pocono Mountains.

I believe, as Gov Cuomo stated during his live presser this morning, that areas of the country are peaking and going to peak at different times and so states are hopefully reacting as they get closer to their own peak. I liked Cuomo's position on having ventilators all sent to areas of most need first, which is the state of NY. Then he would send them on to the next needed area as NY peak declined.

He even offered to fund sending them to any state in need.

Last edited:
Yes....that was an L and S strain that was later found to not be different.

Henry, I found the following that may be what you refer to (red font by me):
Tang et al’s addendum for reference:
“In our recent publication, we showed that among circulating SARS-CoV-2 (with 103 genomes analyzed) two different viral genomes co-exist. We identified them as lineages L and S. The concerned amino acid we used to define the L and S lineages is located in ORF8 (open reading frame 8), which plays a yet undefined role in the viral life cycle. Based on the finding that “L” lineage has a higher frequency than lineage S, we described the L lineage as aggressive. We now recognize that within the context of our study the term “aggressive” is misleading and should be replaced by a more precise term “a higher frequency”. In short, while we have shown that the two lineages naturally co-exist, we provided no evidence supporting any epidemiological conclusion regarding the virulence or pathogenicity of SARS-CoV-2. By saying so, corrections will be made in the print version of this paper to avoid being misleading.”

Response to “On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2”

LIVE: Health Sec call for more Tube trains after people pack into carriage

LIVE: Health secretary says more London Underground trains should be running
Latest updates after Prime Minister Boris Johnson introduces even tougher restrictions to battle the spread of COVID-19.

Health secretary: More Tube trains should be running

Matt Hancock has said there should be more London Underground trains in operation.

He said: "When it comes to the tube, the first and the best answer is that Transport for London should have the tube running in full so that people travelling on the tube are spaced out and can be further apart - obeying the two-metre rule wherever possible.

"And there is no good reason in the information that I've seen that the current levels of tube provision should be as low as they are. We should have more tube trains running."

JMO
Watching Fox, the task force is taking questions in the rose garden.
Where is Dr. Fauci?

I believe this is a town hall sponsored by Fox News. In other words, Fox news was invited to the garden at the White House to have a town hall meeting. It was not opened up to the press as far as I can tell. As there is not a link to provide, I will say this is my guess and MOO. Maybe someone else can help clarify. Also, will this replace the daily press briefing?

UK

People are having to use videolinks to say their last goodbyes to dying relatives with Covid-19 because hospitals are curtailing visits to prevent spread of the virus.

In a sad scene that is increasingly being played out out across the country, in the early hours of Tuesday morning a patient with coronavirus was taken off a ventilator at a hospital in south-east London.

His wife and two children were unable to be with him but watched at home via videolink, after agreement from staff in the intensive treatment unit.

A matron familiar with the case, who did not wish to be named, said the wife had been offered the opportunity of being there in person but without the children and at her own risk so she requested the family be able to watch it from home instead.

The matron told the Guardian: “It is heartbreaking that he died without his family being able to hold his hands or giving him a goodbye kiss but at least they saw him in his final moments.

Coronavirus: Britons saying final goodbyes to dying relatives by videolink

Coronavirus: Can I walk the dog? Am I still able to fill up with fuel? UK lockdown questions answered

Coronavirus: Can I walk the dog? Am I still able to fill up with fuel? UK lockdown questions answered

The prime minister's lockdown order has people across the country asking questions about when they can leave the house.

What are the four reasons Mr Johnson said I could leave the house for?

• Shopping for basic necessities like food and medicine - but you should do this "as infrequently as possible" and use food delivery services "where you can"
  • One form of exercise a day, such as a run, walk or cycle. This can be done alone, with members of your household, or indeed with your dog
  • Any medical need, to give care or to help a vulnerable person
  • Travelling to and from work, but only if this is "absolutely necessary" and cannot be done from home
But, what if...?

...For some of the deaths for the relatively young people like this 38 year old, I have to wonder if some people's system cannot handle the overload of whatever medicines are being used to treat the symptoms of the virus.

I know hospitals are doing what they think is best but I have to wonder sometimes if they are overloading a sick person's ability to handle all the medicines on top of being sick. Things like kidney function may be overloaded with large doses of a variety of medicines. Which could be contributing to some of the deaths. Not all of course because the Virus itself is the main cause of being in the hospital to begin with...

It was incredible to us how about every 1/2 hour or so, a doctor or nurse would come in to give medicine or treatments. And a lot of the times, they were different people and different medicines coming in all the time. My relative ended up having a separate complication from a bad reaction to one of the medicines. A severe skin rash breakout occurred for one of the medicines....

<respectfully snipped>

Excellent post, and you've made many good points. Many people don't know what type of reaction they might have to medications unless or until they are prescribed or administered the medication. I had never received an opiate until I had a hysterectomy at age 45. Post surgery, I was on a Morphine drip. I was in the recovery room, still very groggy, waking up briefly, and falling back to sleep. At one point, I was awakened by the overwhelming urge to vomit. I told a nurse that I was going to be sick. I don't know if she didn't hear me or ignored me. I managed to turn my head to the side and vomited profusely over the edge of the gurney. If I had vomited while sleeping, I could have choked! While not an allergic reaction, I now know that I cannot have an opiate for pain.

In 2000, I had a rare urinary tract infection for which I was prescribed a sulfa drug. DH and I went to Toronto for a weekend to see the ballet. We had planned to visit the AGO on Sunday morning before heading home. When I woke up, my hands and feet were itching like crazy from a red rash, and it was obvious that I was having an allergic reaction to the medication about 72 hours after I'd started taking it. We nixed the art gallery and headed home. I took Benedryl and put Benedryl cream on my hands and feet. It helped a little, and I went to bed hoping that I'd feel better in the morning. I woke up at 3:00 and sensed that my throat was tight and that my tongue felt too big :eek: I woke DH and said, "We have to get to the ER right away. I'm having a severe reaction to the UTI medication." I took a couple of puffs of my inhaler, we dressed quicky, and headed to one of the two local hospitals that are approximately the same distance from our home. When we arrived in the ER, it was apparent that I was anxious and uncomfortable, but the intake nurse said that I had gotten there before I was "dancing on the ceiling" that is often the case with sulfa drugs. I was administered a slow drip of Benedryl and Valium, felt much better within an hour, had a snack and some juice, discharged and home after three hours. DH went to work, and I went back to bed for some much-need rest. No more sulfa for me.

Last edited:
One of my fears is that the US mail will stop if we don't do something. It's a real possibility. It would not be good in this crisis. Loan forgiveness is easier and quicker than other methods of supporting them.

They were not having problems yesterday. I don't see them having problems tomorrow. It's not like their debt is due today. No reason to forgive it. IMO.

Yes, Wal-Mart from 6am to 7am.

I ventured out this morning at 6. Five minutes into my trip to Wal-Mart I encounter a mom with 3 kids.
Just as I pass the canned tomatoes, the two year old throws up. Yeap, mom keeps shopping and I hear an employee offer to get her immediately checked out. The mom said, no thanks and kept shopping. This mom is one row behind me, as I rush to grab stuff and leave. The kid or maybe another kid throws up AGAIN. As I'm heading to the checkout, I see what appears to be a manager arguing with the mom.

I wasn't happy. I realize stores can ask customers to allow over 65 to shop special hours but can not refuse others entry.

Am I wrong to be upset with this mother who choose to put others at risk?

that's disgusting
she was either really, really desperate or should not be allowed the privilege of having children

Where's the vent thread? Omg. So many are just sooooo extra! Everyone stay home. Great. Call the retailers of non-essential items and expect them to lose money because you're entitled. Forget about the people who have to come to work to deal with y'all, etc. Forget your manners, expect businesses to ki$$ your tail, stomp your feet and act a fool. We can hear your kids in the background: we hear your priorities. I bailed for the rest of the day. I simply cannot empathize with 1st world entitlement today

This!!!

Town hall meeting on fox website. Dr Birx, VP and president. DR Bird on now taking questions

Fox News

Dr. Fauci is NOT at the town hall meeting. Per President, "he's in a meeting". Hum..... It's like the pressers. They all in the Rose garden, sitting on tall chairs.

Has Dr. Fauci spoken to the media in the last few days? I keep thinking about the doctors in China who were silenced.

Moo....

<respectfully snipped>

Excellent post, and you've made many good points. Many people don't know what type of reaction they might have to medications unless or until they are prescribed or administered the medication. I had never received an opiate until I had a hysterectomy at age 45. Post surgery, I was on a Morphine drip. I was in the recovery room, still very groggy, waking up briefly, and falling back to sleep. At one point, I was awakened by the overwhelming urge to vomit. I told a nurse that I was going to be sick. I don't know if she didn't hear me or ignored me. I managed to turn my head to the side and vomited profusely over the edge of the gurney. If I had vomited while sleeping, I could have choked! While not an allergic reaction, I now know that I cannot have an opiate for pain.

In 2000, I had a rare urinary tract infection for which I was prescribed a sulfa drug. DH and I went to Toronto for a weekend to see the ballet. We had planned to visit the AGO on Sunday morning before heading home. When I woke up, my hands and feet were itching like crazy, and it was obvious that was having an allergic reaction to the medication about 72 hours after I'd started taking it. We nixed the art gallery and headed home. I took Benedryl and put Benedryl cream on my hands and feet. It helped a little, and I went to bed hoping that I'd feel better in the morning. I woke up at 3:00 and sensed that my throat was tight and that my tongue felt too big :eek: I woke DH and said, "We have to get to the ER right away. I'm having a severe reaction to the UTI medication." I took a couple of puffs of my inhaler, we dressed quicky, and headed to one of the two local hospitals that are approximately the same distance from our home. When we arrived in the ER, it was apparent that I was anxious and uncomfortable, but the intake nurse said that I had gotten there before I was "dancing on the ceiling" that is often the case with sulfa drugs. I was administered a slow drip of Benedryl and Valium, felt much better within an hour, had a snack and some juice, discharged and home after three hours. DH went to work, and I went back to bed for some much-need rest. No more sulfa for me.

Narcotics make me so sick. I can handle one dose. If I take a 2nd dose within a day or two I'm sick as a dog and hallucinating. Jmo

This is JMO and I could be way off base.

For some of the deaths for the relatively young people like this 38 year old, I have to wonder if some people's system cannot handle the overload of whatever medicines are being used to treat the symptoms of the virus.

Definitely a possibility. However, we are dealing with the unknown at the present. The main goal is for stabilizing first and then saving the patient's life. A delicate balance for certain. There are so many specialized teams at a hospital, the Pharmacy team, the Infectious Control Team, the interaction of all the specialty docs. A scientific based approach and an educated guess. Unfortunately with this being new - the unknown and alot of trial and error. As with any medical condition, often the treatment is best based on treating the symptoms. Yes, many of the treatments may overload the system, but we have to keep trying.

I think the President is thinking if people are going to be defiant and not stay home, they might as well be at work. IMO.
Could be part of it. And maybe he’s trying to give a sense of hope and trying to offset some of the panic. What he said sounds like something a parent might say to their child to comfort and encourage. As an optimist and a successful business man, I think he naturally approaches things from that point of view, imo.

Wow. Because of more testing, or?

NY

Gov Cuomo:

Army Corp of Engineers setting up emergency hospital

New Facts today, not encouraging:

Increase in # of cases continues unabated, matter of fact is

Rate of new infections is Doubling Every 3 Days

We are Not slowing it, And

It is accelerating on its own

Not freight train, it is Bullet Train

The curve is actually increasing - we have Not flattened the curve

Status