Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I posted this last night, no big surprise this would eventually happen. Moo

FCPS employee involved in meal deliveries tests positive for COVID-19 - ABC 36 News

EXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – A Fayette County Public School employee involved in school bus delivery of meals to children has tested positive for COVID-19, according to the school district.

Because of the positive test, meals will no longer be delivered to bus stops across the city effective Thursday, March 26, 2020. It’s the fourth district employee to test positive in the last week.

FLORIDA

Coronavirus in Florida: 2,300+ cases statewide and over 600 in Miami-Dade
  • Florida now has 2,355 confirmed cases.
  • Miami-Dade County has the most cases in the state with 616.
  • There have been 28 deaths as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
  • The # of cases is expected to continue climbing as testing increases.
  • FL lawmakers want DeSantis to enforce a statewide shelter-in-place order.
  • Trump on Wed approved DeSantis’ request to declare Florida a disaster area, making Florida eligible for federal aid.
Orange County set up drive through testing with a limit of 250 per day- I think the case numbers are going to be very high IMO
Drive-thru testing site opens at Orange County Convention Center; hundreds being tested

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with this.

Why can't a partner or support person be tested and allowed to be present, with appropriate PPE?
I can only speak for my hospital (So Cal) but at this time we are still allowing 1 visitor per patient in L&D.
Most women don't know the exact day / time they will deliver. If a significant other is tested, then it takes 2-5 days for results and the woman delivers prior to results or several days after the results, the test would not be valid.
Simply put, I don't know the answer.
I just know that hospitals are working hard to keep mother & baby safe during the birthing process. Unfortunately, sometimes that may involve unpopular but needed decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Kroger won’t even allow returns to be brought in, they have a sign on the door.
That seems very reasonable under the circumstances. I was surprised the other day that Costco was still processing returns. I know that Costco (and Walmart) throw out returned food products which is quite sensible but why put undo pressure on staff members to have to handle merchandise they have no idea where its been?

American held by Iran hospitalized with coronavirus symptoms amid worsening outbreak
An American detained by Iran for over 600 days on spurious charges has been hospitalized with symptoms consistent with the novel coronavirus, according to his family's spokesperson.

Michael White, 48, has not yet been confirmed to have the virus, known as COVID-19, but there are deep concerns about his safety as Iran struggles to contain its outbreak, with over 29,000 Iranians infected and over 2,200 killed.

[...]

White has been experiencing fever, fatigue, cough, and shortness of breath and was hospitalized Wednesday in a crowded ward specifically for COVID-19 patients, according to Franks.

[...]

From the article:

[...]

Our experience dealing with multiple outbreaks of Ebola offers some lessons that could be helpful in addressing Covid-19. Some of these are more specific to the African context, but most apply anywhere.

Protect health care workers. This is emerging as a major priority, as the coronavirus begins to overwhelm the health care system in the United States. ...

[...]

Aggressively push back against rumor and disinformation with frequent, fact-based communication. ...
[...]

Engage the local community. Some of our best and most effective outreach during the Ebola outbreak in the DRC was done through trusted members of the community. ...

[...]

Use faith-based networks. Faith leaders are often among the most trusted members of a community ...

[...]

Test, test, test. As we are finding in the United States, you can't treat it if you can't see it. ...

[...]

NEW YORK

https://nypost.com/2020/03/26/new-yorks-coronavirus-death-toll-jumps-100-in-just-one-day-to-385/
[...]

With the worst of the contagion still expected to be at least two to three weeks out, Cuomo said that the state is working to establish at least one 1,000-bed overflow hospital in each of the five boroughs, plus Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and Rockland counties.

It’s projected that the state will need at least 140,000 hospital beds at the disease’s peak, easily more than double New York’s 53,000 permanent beds.

“I don’t want to sugarcoat the situation,” said Cuomo. “But easy times don’t forge character, it’s the tough times that forge character.

[...]

That seems very reasonable under the circumstances. I was surprised the other day that Costco was still processing returns. I know that Costco (and Walmart) throw out returned food products which is quite sensible but why put undo pressure on staff members to have to handle merchandise they have no idea where its been?
I agree! Same premise as bringing reusable bags or a personal beverage cup in.

I want to share this post from MY friend, a teacher and colleague. My heart is broken for him. And for all of this.

This makes it very real.

“This morning my best friend, Josh, died from complications of Covid-19 in a hospital in New York City. My heart is broken. You might know that in nearly all things I compulsively look for the lesson, the deeper message, the bigger meaning. But for this, all meaning is absent. All I have is this...

Josh was my best friend. I never told him that, and he had so many friends I don’t know if he would have returned that title to me. And that’s okay. There was more than enough of Josh’s friendship to be shared. Me, on the other hand... the number of people I’ve allowed to get truly close in my lifetime can be counted on one hand. Most of them have dropped off along the way. Until now, Josh remained.

He was a guide for me in ways he didn’t realize. He reminded me how to have fun. He would be the first to roll his eyes and say, “Oh Lord” when I got too full of myself. In one of the darkest periods of my life I sobbed with my head in his lap, and then he took me to the bars, and we spent an entire weekend alternating between those two things. Josh was my best friend and was my family. Josh felt like home. Now Josh is gone.

Josh, I will miss you for the rest of my life.“

RIP Josh
:(

I’m spending much time crying for people I didn’t know and this is no exception. What a beautiful, moving tribute.

I have been getting so many emails about supporting local business to get take out food. My heart is heavy that many places are struggling but I personally cant not take the chance of getting sick. Sad situation all around.

Coronavirus cough attacks a crime, says DPP
''Anyone who coughs on key workers as a threat amid the coronavirus crisis will face serious criminal charges.

The warning from the Director of Public Prosecutions for England and Wales comes after reports of essential workers being coughed at by people claiming they have the virus.

Max Hill QC said he was "appalled" by the incidents and the full force of the law would be used.

Two men in England have already been convicted - one of them jailed.

Coughs or spits directed at key workers - or threats to do so - can be considered crimes if they were meant to harm or cause fear, with criminals charged with common assault.

In England and Wales, common assault can lead to six months in prison - and attacks against emergency workers going about their duties carry a maximum sentence of two years.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMP2816
Back