Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think putting hand sanitizer in your nose is a bad idea without someone saying it is ok. If it is harmful, the last place you want to be these days is a doctor's office or emergency clinic.
You could be right... i've been doing it for weeks now, but am supposed to have a doc appt in a couple of weeks, so will ask. I am one who grew up with a mother who stuffed Vicks Vapo Rub up my nose...!!

He wants to send ventilators to the UK?!?!?
He said the first thing that Boris said to him was that "We need ventilators". Then he said that we are the only country that can manufacture them, and "if we don't need them" we will share especially with UK, and then he named other European countries we would also furnish ventilators to. I can't find a link to the speech at the hospital ship a couple of hours ago, but IMO he reiterated the same message of sending ventilators over there, now that we are producing so many. IMO

Last edited:
I think putting hand sanitizer in your nose is a bad idea without someone saying it is ok. If it is harmful, the last place you want to be these days is a doctor's office or emergency clinic.
You could be right... i've been doing it for weeks now, but am supposed to have a doc appt in a couple of weeks, so will ask. I am one who grew up with a mother who stuffed Vicks Vapo Rub up my nose...!! And I just went and rummaged through my health products and do have some nose stuff that I think I will take with me now...

You could be right... i've been doing it for weeks now, but am supposed to have a doc appt in a couple of weeks, so will ask. I am one who grew up with a mother who stuffed Vicks Vapo Rub up my nose...!! And I just went and rummaged through my health products and do have some nose stuff that I think I will take with me now...
I do it, always have due to allergy/sinus probs.

March 26, 2020
A choir group had 60 people show up for practice. Now 45 are sick.

Before social distancing requirements were in place in Washington State earlier this month, members of a choir group took their own coronavirus precautions. They told singers not to attend practice if they had even a hint of illness.

Yet the virus has devastated the Skagit Valley Chorale, based in the rural valley north of Seattle that is famous for its tulip production. Of the 60 people who attended a March 10 practice, 45 have developed symptoms and 27 so far have tested positive, officials said. One of the group’s members has died, another has been hospitalized and others have struggled to overcome their illness.

Polly Dubbel, the communicable disease and environmental health manager at Skagit County Public Health, said the case was a disturbing example of how contagious coronavirus can be and how it can spread among groups even when no one is symptomatic.

Coronavirus Impact: How a Crisis Is Changing the U.S.

To help Boris Johnson specifically? How many ventilators does he think Boris Johnson is going to need for himself? One would suffice, I would think.
The article said that UK had 8,000 but needed 30,000. Pretty much the same as what Cuomo says our own USA state of New York needs. Not counting the needs of our other 49 states.

He wants to send ventilators to the UK?!?!?
He said at yesterday's briefing that he would send any surplus ventilators to countries still needing them. A reporter had asked why the U.S. is ramping up production of ventilators if they (leaders) don't anticipate places like NYC will need the large number they've asked for.

JMO

Interesting idea.

What about a black market source for cigarettes? What about people traveling to neighboring States and buying them there?

Forcing people to quit cold turkey may cause some problems. JMO

Those quotes from that article were from draft notes.

Cuomo said earlier this week that the state is losing tax dollars. As it is, States make a ton of money in Cigarette tax so that would be an additional State loss.

He said at yesterday's briefing that he would send any surplus ventilators to countries still needing them. A reporter had asked why the U.S. is ramping up production of ventilators if they (leaders) don't anticipate places like NYC will need the large number they've asked for.

JMO

So now I get it. The states are bidding against each other and the federal government for ventilators so he must think with his federal surplus he’ll try and sell the ones he gets to other countries.

Scammers are taking advantage of fears surrounding the Coronavirus.

Avoid Coronavirus Scams

Here are some tips to help you keep the scammers at bay

(A few tips listed)

Hang up on robocalls. Don’t press any numbers. Scammers are using illegal robocalls to pitch everything from scam Coronavirus treatments to work-at-home schemes. The recording might say that pressing a number will let you speak to a live operator or remove you from their call list, but it might lead to more robocalls, instead.

Ignore online offers for vaccinations and home test kits. Scammers are trying to get you to buy products that aren’t proven to treat or prevent the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) — online or in stores. At this time, there also are no FDA-authorized home test kits for the Coronavirus. Visit the FDA to learn more.

Don’t respond to texts and emails about checks from the government. The details are still being worked out. Anyone who tells you they can get you the money now is a scammer

.Don’t click on links from sources you don’t know. They could download viruses onto your computer or device

What the FTC is Doing

The FTC and FDA have jointly issued warning letters to seven sellers of unapproved and misbranded products, claiming they can treat or prevent the Coronavirus. The companies’ products include teas, essential oils, and colloidal silver.

The FTC says the companies have no evidence to back up their claims — as required by law. The FDA says there are no approved vaccines, drugs or investigational products currently available to treat or prevent the virus. Read more about the warning letters.

More Information listed on Website:

Law Enforcement Actions
Scammy Calls About the Coronavirus

Coronavirus Scams: What the FTC is doing

COVID-19 | USAGov

Coronavirus

U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Can anyone answer this:

Some states are not including positive cases in daily updates IF said cases were tested by an out of state lab.
KY is such a state. My question/s will these cases ever be counted?
Jmo, I’d rather walk the streets of NYC than my hometown, for this reason: word spreads, especially with presumed positives left to inform their contact list. A lot of us in my town “hear” things & trust our sources.
So when we hear of a particular place of employment having more than a few cases, but in daily updates the count excludes that county, it is very misleading.
Another question, anyone here feel a mfg plant employing 8k+, not cpu ting vendors, truckers, etc., has ZERO cases?
Moo

Maybe your state is still sending completed tests to CDC which take a week or longer.

New York is using private labs and getting results back quickly.

As I’m making coffee and cleaning/cooking, my reflection is as follows:

I have been thinking about how I sure feel for the young people. Hopefully we won’t all be here a very long time, but I’m remembering in my younger days how important social gatherings, concerts, hanging out with friends, traveling, etc. used to be. It was the end of the world if I couldn’t go to a concert lol (like the time I was grounded from one)....

In recent years I have become much the homebody, and not into crowds, but prior to that I was all over the place.

While we all pay the price and make sacrifices for this disease, it seems especially unfair that the kids and younger people have to stop their activities. We never had to do that as kids and young people, we got to live our lives...if I was in my 20s or even 30s I’d be going crazy right now...if I was younger than my 20s, say kid or teen, I’d probably be really having a hard time not being able to see my friends, etc.

It must be hard for some of them to really understand the magnitude of all this. We as adults are struggling to wrap our heads around this...
Feeling the same way, when i was in my teens- early 30's so many potential adventures and people to meet were here, there and everywhere and i did not want to miss anything at all!
Now i still love to keep my finger on the pulse of the world so to speak, but happy to do it on my computer keyboard!

Reminded of one of my favorite WW2 themed movies,'' Hope and Glory'' and the young woman's desperation to go out dancing and frolicking despite the blitz.
Hope and Glory (1987) - IMDb

JMO
Of course we (US) aren't gonna need them. Already have over 100,000 cases, but who needs ventilators around here?

JMO
IIRC he didn't say "surplus", rather he said "if we don't need them". How many ventilators are still needed by our own states? How soon will he be able to start shipping ventilators to UK and EU if we don't have an estimation of the number that will be needed for our own country? How many ventilators have actually been produced in the US in the last month? Today in the speech at the medical ship Trump said that making a ventilator is harder than making a car.

If anyone quibbles with the difference between "surplus" and "if we don't need them", just read what he said, this is what he means by "we don't need them", IMO
Trump on urgent requests for ventilators: 'I don't believe you need 30,000'
"Trump told Hannity: “I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying, ‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’”

The president’s comments appeared to be in response to New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, who had called for 30,000 ventilators, explaining that state hospitals had only 4,000 in the system at the beginning of the outbreak.

Many states across the US are scrambling to buy ventilators, often at inflated rates."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member