Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea,

I am working remotely. So I am busy.

The quarantine is hard on people who did not work, on students and on people with OCD.

What about making a thread about how you distract yourself?

It could be an advice/coping skill/tool for so many others!

Maybe even posting what you made/knitted/ordered during this time?

What grew in your yards?

Always a good idea to quit but I'm not sure right now would be a time to implement it. So much domestic violence is rising and this could be an added trigger on top of everything combined right now. IMO

Not to mention the toll this has taken on some of the large police departments! Iirc, Detroit has lost appx 25% of their LE due to positive or presumed. Moo

I don't get why it's so hard to just stay home and isolate. It's basically no change for me anyway and I've gotten along fine for years.

View attachment 240742
HA!! I think I've gone out of my home maybe 10 times since end of January. I've had food delivery services for a long time due to nature of my job. Moments notice overtime, long commutes of 2hrs + Anyway, I'm happy!! Aside from missing my adult child, no need to socialize. In fact it makes me anxious the "others" are reaching out wanting to "talk" cause they stir crazy!! Go away. Let the introverts enjoy this!!!

Coronavirus Cases In The U.S.
Coronavirus cases in the U.S. are up 16,403 so far today to 120,529, up from just over 24,000 a week earlier and a mere 75 on March 1. Covid-19 deaths are at 2,008, up 312.

On Friday, the U.S. added 18,691 cases, vs. 17,224 on Thursday and 5,588 on March 20. But the percentage gain cooled to a still-high 21.9% from Thursday's 25.3% and March 20's 40.6%. Getting that rate below 10% would be a big step.

Much of the rapid increase in confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. stems from a rapid run-up in testing. The U.S. is now testing more than 100,000 people a day and the pace continues to increase rapidly. But many samples go to private labs, with results often taking days.
Coronavirus Cases Soar Above 658,000; U.S. Covid-19 Infections Top 120,000; Turning Point For U.S., Europe, Stock Market? | Investor's Business Daily

Hasn't even been peer reviewed and based on what if's.

It was put out there in MSM by the "prediction police experts" that over half the country up to 80% will get the virus.

Fear mongering.

That's also published in the academic literature. Not fear mongering. Eventually, about 80% of us will have gotten this.

Perhaps more. That may be conservative. But people who live in largely unaffected rural communities may go the rest of their lives without getting it. If older people go back to being shut-ins, they may not get it either.

But most of us are going to get it. I've posted the links before, but they are easy enough to find if you use scholar.google.com or have access to a college library. Medline.

DEATH TRAJECTORY

US is solidly on the 3 day doubling trajectory.
2,010 current
4,000 Tuesday est
8,000 Friday
16,000 4/6
32,000 4/9
64,000 4/12
128,000 4/15
256,000 4/18
PRAY NOT

NY is just under 2 day doubling with NJ and LA on the 2 day doubling line. FL is on the 3 day doubling line but the trajectory may push it toward 2 day doubling.
CA and WA are between 3 and 4 day doubling.

• UK passes Italy, 2nd only to Spain for deaths at this stage of outbreak
• US deaths doubling every 3 days, curve keeps steepening
India tracking US
Live version FREE TO READ: Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_182322.jpg
    IMG_20200328_182322.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200328_183107.jpg
    IMG_20200328_183107.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I hope the idea will take off.

My self-disclosure. I am re-reading Boccaccio's "the Decameron".

And maybe we shall do the same.

Every evening one of us will tell a story...
Good for you. Many of us are cleaning & sanitizing, I have nearly rid my dog & horses of every loose hair, there seems to always be a mundane task, if I want to tackle it.

Yeah, so many can’t tolerate being told “stay home”, “staying home without cigs’” adds a new dimension. Moo

WATCH LIVE: Gov. Beshear holds Saturday briefing on COVID-19 in Kentucky

Sounds like KY is still experiencing probs at campgrounds & the great store debate. Somewhere in the presser Gov’ mentions stores need to take charge & enforce social distancing. I hope we go by SS# or something, soon.
Now, he thinks maybe 15 k or so tested, unsure if anyone at Toyota tested positive, but expects every place of employment to have cases.

I'm sure there are cases of it from Toyota workers. I worked there for a long time and you work very close to each other, unless in paint dept.

That's also published in the academic literature. Not fear mongering. Eventually, about 80% of us will have gotten this.

Perhaps more. That may be conservative. But people who live in largely unaffected rural communities may go the rest of their lives without getting it. If older people go back to being shut-ins, they may not get it either.

But most of us are going to get it. I've posted the links before, but they are easy enough to find if you use scholar.google.com or have access to a college library. Medline.
I see absolutely no chance that most of us are not exposed, by now. Do you?

Adopting pets during the COVID-19 pandemic
I recommend adopting an adult cat or dog sitting in a shelter. Now is the time to be able to stay home with them and help them to adjust to having a new home. Plus, they are such good company and everyone wins!

My vet is still open....Have a cat getting neutered this Monday. Found him abandoned in a H2O run-off ditch by the road behind my house, he was just an unwanted tiny innocent kitten.

Last edited:
My fellow smokers, just FYI - Wellbutrin (marketed under a different name) can help you quit if you’re interested. I started it after going into quarantine and am down to between 1/3 and 1/2 (depending on the day) of what I smoked before. Hopefully I can sell some of my carton on the black market as I will be quit!
Furious Cuomo blasts Trump's 'anti-American' idea for a New York quarantine and calls it a 'federal declaration of WAR' in extraordinary live TV outburst after the president threatened to cordon off the Tri-state
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...says-Trumps-quarantine-proposal-mean-war.html
US coronavirus: Cuomo says Trump's quarantine proposal would mean war | Daily Mail Online

#StayHomeSaveLives

Maybe we all need a little Xanax.

For fun my husband and I took a drive to central Florida. :)

From our home on the Suncoast to Arcadia, Rt 70 E to Okeechobee, then up to Basinger (we want to return there for its historical value), Lorida, past Lake Istakpoga, to Sebring, then Zolfo Springs, Moffitt, Gardner, Brownville, and back to Arcadia.

It's actually a beautiful drive - this is cattle country, citrus grove country. I realize it's been many many years since my parents and I went to Lake Okeechobee (I was maybe 6 or 7 years old) and have not been in that part of the state since. Driving along you get the feeling you are in the middle of nowhere due to all the farmland/ranchland. But it's perfect for a countryside drive.

Ha....every forecast is what if. If it doesnt then its actual. This is the LOWEST side of the estimates I've seen in the past 2 weeks and purposely didn't publish those. To your point, they are all forecast. But this one is definitely not fear mongering.

As for peer review, the peak begins next week. Doubtful any forecast in the next 4 weeks will be peer reviewed.

Many academics are going to "pre-prints," wherein a journal provisionally accepts results from previously reviewed authors or from tertiary care centers or people working on grants. These pre-prints are still peer reviewed - but only by the editorial board of the journal. Usually, journals send papers out to panels of peers (of the researcher, people in the same field of study) and that takes months.

So, Henry, the data you posted above is actually in peer-reviewed form (pre-print) and will remain so.

Interestingly, several different studies point to the same outcome. Chinese doctors are publishing tons, every day. And the Iceland study is empirical and supports those figures.

Most of us will be asymptomatic according to the Iceland study. Empirical studies (based on hospital data) are always subject to (minor) correction but I don't believe for a minute that Iceland's doctors are lying to us - and they really have tested virtually the whole population.

Hasn't even been peer reviewed and based on what if's.

It was put out there in MSM by the "prediction police experts" that over half the country up to 80% will get the virus.

Fear mongering.

Yep, 80% is when herd immunity results as the end game. You call it fear mongering, but the truth is scary sometimes. That doesn't mean folks should discount it, hopefully it will make them ACT.

It's a mathematical formula if nothing was done and the virus had a certain R0, (I think they used R0 of 3 when we discussed this in ~ thread #2) what herd immunity would result in.

Folks downplay by calling it fear mongering, but it's just a simple fact MOO if NOTHING was done. It's well accepted modelling for epidemics that scientists use all over, and it pooh poohed by many folks who just can't believe or wrap their heads around it.

I just had a FB interaction with someone who was pooh poohing what his city said about having only 107 cases, and that his county said over 50,000 by beginning of May and 1,000 deaths if folks didn't change their behavior/isolate/stay at home, and this was my response.

"I think many state/local governments are modelling for the worst case perhaps to align capacity for their health systems, and to get the average person to modify their behavior - is it working? I read the article you are referring to, and in it states that says "Currently, the county is seeing a doubling of confirmed cases every 4-5 days." So if your folks are using a doubling time of your current 107 cases every 4 days, your county would indeed get over 50,000 positive tests and 1,000 deaths with a 2% death rate by May 1 or until the peak is reached and starts to come down with that input. I just did the math. (Heck, they could have started with the 8 deaths because who the hell knows the true rate of infection anywhere in the US, and ended up mathematically with 4,096 deaths if doubled every 4 days) . The models are tools for tactics to justify their decisions which indeed does scare folks even when they can't fathom it to be true. Yet, it indeed could be if nothing was changed, such as social distancing and closing schools and businesses. Buuuutttttt, if the doubling of that 107 is every 5 days vs. 4, you will decrease projected infections from 50,000 to 19,000 and deaths from 1,000 to 380 in the same period. Buuutttttt, If it doubles every 6 days you get down to 6,848 cases and 137 deaths.......But using worse case scenario of doubling every 4 days is more likely to make you, the average person, change your behavior to get that doubling time longer with less infections; and cities need to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Good choice of literature! Only instead of the Black Plague we have COVID-19 to worry about.

I read "The Decameron" many years ago, should re-read it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper