Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CHINA

SHANGHAI/BEIJING (Reuters) - China reported 45 new coronavirus cases in the mainland for March 28, down from 54 on the previous day, with all but one involving travelers from overseas, the country’s health authority said on Sunday.
Vincent Lee on Twitter
I really wish I felt confident that those numbers were real.

Yup. Shades of Wuhan, dragging people from their homes and forcing them into government quarantine.

Crazy.
Wait a minute. Haven't a lot of opinions here said that we should be acting more like China and So Korea in order to slow the surge and flatten the curve?

How do we do that if infected patients insist upon moving around the country and spreading the virus?

I really wish I felt confident that those numbers were real.
Both Dr. Campbell and WHO believe these numbers. We have also seen tweets from people who have family in Wuhan who have confirmed the lifting of restrictions.
From a personal standpoint, my niece just arrived from China into the US and confirmed the lifting of restrictions and reduced cases.

My brother and his family live in St. Augustine.

We love St. Augustine and visited many times when my brother worked for the FAA in Hilliard. Our kids are adults now with children and Old St. Augustine is on our vacation list. I think the fear from lost tourism dollars is why these beaches haven't closed down and that's unfortunate. Every generation experiences an event that is life-changing in that it instills fear of the unknown and a willingness to do whatever is necessary to get back to normal.

JMO

I hadn't seen this interview with Bill Gates. He's an intelligent guy (lol, did I just type that - duh)

@16:40, he talks about what is the end game... He thinks no rich country should head to herd immunity (which would take many years, that's the 80% that we've discussed upthread as to the modelling). He thinks that's irresponsible to have as too many deaths.

He thinks we need extreme shutdown of 6-10 weeks, then start opening back up. It's maddening to him that the government is not having the testing where needed, and shutting down. He mentions that South Korea did such a good job on testing that they didn't need to do the extreme shutdown. He says there is no middle course (which many here have been singing the same song) In other words, I think he is saying we are going to have to have a complete shutdown. And then when you open back up, then do the contact tracing and follow up (because we missed the window and didn't have test before, in other words, start all over. :mad::mad::mad:)

Anyway, this may have been posted, but I'll post again as was done 3 days ago and I hadn't seen posted.

How we must respond to the coronavirus pandemic | Bill Gates

ETA: Trivia from Bill - the word quarantine came from the 40 days used during the black plague

Last edited:
ASTOUNDING....THEY GAVE AWAY OUR PPE...I'm going to assume they thought we wouldn't need it.
-------------------------------------------

FEB 7, 2020,
This week the State Department has facilitated the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials
. These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people.

The United States Announces Assistance To Combat the Novel Coronavirus - United States Department of State

WASHINGTON —President Donald Trump backed away from earlier comments Saturday that he was considering enforcing a quarantine in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut area after state officials questioned whether Trump had the authority to implement a quarantine and accused him of creating confusion.

Instead, he said he will have the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issue a "strong Travel Advisory to be administered by the Governors in consultation with the Federal Government," he tweeted.

"A quarantine will not be necessary," Trump tweeted Saturday night. "Full details will be released by CDC tonight."

Earlier Saturday Trump sparked confusion when he told reporters as he was leaving the White House for Norfolk, Va., that he was considering an “enforceable quarantine” in the tri-state area because he was concerned New Yorkers were traveling to places like Florida and spreading the virus.

Trump had been on the phone just minutes before with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, but did not bring up the possibility of the federally mandated quarantine, according to Cuomo.

“I didn’t speak to him about any quarantine,” Cuomo said during a press conference. “I don’t even know what that means.” “I don’t know how that could be legally enforceable. I don't even like the sound of it.”

Trump says quarantine for N.Y., N.J. and Connecticut 'not necessary'
Well, the governor of NY took forever to follow the Stay Home order and in fact, some of the NY mayors of the cities took it upon themselves to issue it, even though the governor had Not done that.
Then we have the High affluent Connecticut "Birthday Party" that happened and is not only dubbed "PARTY ZERO" but involved not only State side guests, but Over sea guests who then returned to their countries. Only to find out that one of them had the virus during the party and now HALF THE GUESTS THERE have the virus and has now exposed everyone there, who has now exposed everyone they have been in contact with, and so forth, and so forth, as it trickles down to the communities.
UGH.
The Governors have to take action and if they don't then our President needs to.
Connecticut 40th birthday gathering dubbed 'party zero' after infected guests spread coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Wait a minute. Haven't a lot of opinions here said that we should be acting more like China and So Korea in order to slow the surge and flatten the curve?

How do we do that if infected patients insist upon moving around the country and spreading the virus?
I guess they get to travel anywhere they want infecting many in the process. JMO

Here is another story related to Spring Break. Check out this girl

"Questions for Ava about her behavior on spring break, which ignored the physical distancing precautions the government has put in place to help stop the spread of the coronavirus
"Twenty-one-year-old Ava proudly admits that she went to Miami for spring break, “made out with a bunch of people,” hung out with others on the beach She says she doesn’t have coronavirus, so what’s the problem?"

"YOUNG PEOPLE ARE GETTING THIS!"

"Do you even know how to spell the science?" (short videos)

Hopefully the young lady doesn't represent the attitude of all the young people in the country. My granddaughter attends Tulane and went home when the school closed. No Spring Break. She had caught a cold and for a few days her mom was in contact with the doctor to monitor her.

The girl in the video should be ashamed of herself, whether she's looking for attention or is truly a nincompoop. But IMO she and others like her don't truly represent the majority of young people who "get it. At least I hope so.

ASTOUNDING....THEY GAVE AWAY OUR PPE...I'm going to assume they thought we wouldn't need it.
-------------------------------------------

FEB 7, 2020,
This week the State Department has facilitated the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials
. These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people.

The United States Announces Assistance To Combat the Novel Coronavirus - United States Department of State
Well, that was very nice, if short-sighted. We did contact some countries for supplies, so maybe we asked for backsies on this.

ATUL GAWANDE
Atul Gawande on Twitter

Many lessons here. Most notable to me:

1. PARTIAL SOLUTIONS DON'T WORK. Italy locked down only high risk areas ("red zones"), but it only facilitated spread as people fled lockdown areas. "Italy followed the spread rather than prevented it." Exactly what the US is doing.

2. DEPLOY THE FULL PLAYBOOK.
Lombardy (10M) and Veneto (5M) both closed shops and did social distancing. Veneto added testing, active contact tracing, good controls to protect health care & other essential workers, and home care for most cases. Lombardy had 5K deaths; Veneto 287.

3. ACCURATE, TIMELY DATA IS ESSENTIAL. Decision-makers have been hindered by lack of standardized data on the trajectory of spread, hospitalizations, deaths at local and regional levels.

I hadn't seen this interview with Bill Gates. He's an intelligent guy (lol, did I just type that - duh)

@16:40, he talks about what is the end game... He thinks no rich country should head to herd immunity (which would take many years, that's the 80% that we've discussed upthread as to the modelling). He thinks that's irresponsible to have as too many deaths.

He thinks we need extreme shutdown of 6-10 weeks, then start opening back up. It's maddening to him that the government is not having the testing where needed, and shutting down. He mentions that South Korea did such a good job on testing that they didn't need to do the extreme shutdown. He says there is no middle course (which many here have been singing the same song) In other words, I think he is saying we are going to have to have a shutdown ALL OVER. And then when you open back up, then do the contact tracing and follow up (because we missed the window and didn't have test before, in other words, start all over. :mad::mad::mad:)

Anyway, this may have been posted, but I'll post again as was done 3 days ago and I hadn't seen posted.

How we must respond to the coronavirus pandemic | Bill Gates
Is there people actually suggesting to let things settle out with herd immunity that could take years instead of working on a vaccine that will probably take less time?

I don't get that plan at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member