Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
GE in Louisville, KY has shut down temporarily. They were tasked with making ventilators because of coronavirus. GE has one case. Employees protested working conditions because health risks were not addressed.

Ford in Louisville is not starting up their plant to make the ventilators until April 20.

And yet today we are told as many as 240,000 might die in next few weeks?

This should have been started back in January. It’s crazy.

From your link, the official transcript of the presser:
"And we’re also sending things that we don’t need to other parts. I just spoke to the Prime Minister of Italy, and we have additional capacity. We have additional product that we don’t need. We’re going to be sending approximately 100 million dollars’ worth of things — of surgical and medical and hospital things to Italy. And Giuseppe was very, very happy — I will tell you that. They’re having a very hard time."
------------------------------------
Citizens even lacking a sewing machine are making masks to help out medical staff and old folks' homes, nurses are wearing garbage bags due to lack of PPE, we are way behind in testing compared even to S Korea, I wonder which product he is talking about that "we don't need".

Thank you! I knew it was out there.

GE in Louisville, KY has shut down temporarily. They were tasked with making ventilators because of coronavirus. GE has one case. Employees protested working conditions because health risks were not addressed.

Ford in Louisville is not starting up their plant to make the ventilators until April 20.

And yet today we are told as many as 240,000 might die in next few weeks?

This should have been started back in January. It’s crazy.

By January 20, there was plenty of warning. By Feb 15, well, it was definitely on-going.

I figured it would take some time to get the ventilator manufacture up and going (good luck to those of us who get it before May 1). People are staying on ventilators a long time for this virus. Plus, there are the other people who need ventilators in the course of non-viral treatment.

From your link, the official transcript of the presser:
"And we’re also sending things that we don’t need to other parts. I just spoke to the Prime Minister of Italy, and we have additional capacity. We have additional product that we don’t need. We’re going to be sending approximately 100 million dollars’ worth of things — of surgical and medical and hospital things to Italy. And Giuseppe was very, very happy — I will tell you that. They’re having a very hard time."
------------------------------------
Citizens even lacking a sewing machine are making masks to help out medical staff and old folks' homes, nurses are wearing garbage bags due to lack of PPE, we are way behind in testing compared even to S Korea, I wonder which product he is talking about that "we don't need".
Well GE isn’t making them in Louisville. It just shut down due to an employee with coronavirus.

It's wave after wave of depressing news. I wonder what it's like in Cabo, if those students brought it down there to the locals.

Statistically, Mexico had zero cases well after the US had many. Of course, Mexico probably wasn't testing. But still, since so many on that plane got it, it's almost certain that they took it with them to Mexico. I guess they could have gotten it from other Americans on Spring Break. But even now, with testing, Mexico has far fewer cases than the US. Only 28 deaths.

SOUTH CAROLINA (apologies if already posted)

The governor (McMaster) is closing businesses in three categories for 15 days beginning Wednesday, April 1 per his executive order:

Entertainment – bowling alleys, night clubs, arcades, concert halls, theaters, auditoriums, performing arts centers, tourist attractions including museums, racetracks , indoor children play areas (excluding daycares), adult entertainment venues, bingo halls, venues operated by social clubs.

Once a day I have to drive about ten miles to drop off a meal to a shut-in and leave it on the doorstep, and I drive on a rural highway, and each night I see an "OPEN" neon sign in an upstairs window of a local psychic. I wonder how she does her work with social distancing order in place.

Governors plead for medical equipment from federal stockpile plagued by shortages and confusion

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...aadda0-728d-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

"Governors and state officials have become increasingly frustrated by what they describe as a byzantine and unsteady process for distributing medical supplies from the Strategic National Stockpile. As they try to combat a worsening pandemic, several have complained about chaos and disarray within the system and a lack of guidance about how they can secure lifesaving supplies, according to interviews and documents from officials in more than a dozen states. "
Hospitals are filled with confusion as well. Scary stuff.

It’s like a web of polyester. You can get anything from lightweight to heavyweight. While it’s probably not waterproof, it’s water resistant.

I’ve asked Tricia to start a mask making thread. I’ll post the different patterns our community is using for the hospitals, as well as the feedback we are getting from nurses regarding personal preferences. I’m trying to make variations to suit various needs.

I’ll also explain how to make ties from scratch in that thread as well, as some people don’t like the elastic.

But that defeats the use of 100% cotton. The reason that polyester blends are not recommended is that...the virus can live there easier. That's my understanding, anyway. Another layer of cotton would be better, I think.

Does washing your clothes prevent the spread of the coronavirus?

Cotton prices doing well, and many people are finding that their t-shirts are blends. I wouldn't use polyester, myself, due to the longer survival rate of CV (or any virus) on it.

The Kids' Guide to Coronavirus w/ Kristen Bell! | #KidsTogether

"What is coronavirus? How do you prevent it? And when will we be able to go back to school?" In this special Nickelodeon Town Hall, we'll answer these questions and more from real kids like you on how to navigate all of the recent changes to our daily lives!

Kristen Bell hosts as she connects with kids from all over and gets in touch with medical experts to offer some tips on social distancing, ways to keep safe and healthy, and fun activities to enjoy at home!

With special appearances by Alicia Keys, David Dobrik, JoJo Siwa, Kel Mitchell, Kenan Thompson, Noah Centineo, Young Dylan, Jayden Bartels, Russell and Ciara Wilson, and more!

The President, at the beginning of his news conference tonight, said we can wear scarves instead of masks.

Yes, of course we can. They are just not as effective (obviously) and that has to be factored in. I guess surgeons could wear them too, replacing them and tossing old ones into steam washers afterward. I can't believe it's come to this.

But for most of us, yes, a scarf is better than nothing. He actually is edging toward contradicting the early advice of CDC (and WHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exam_Dumps