Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people who instigate and organize gatherings like that should be prosecuted.
I fully agree the service should not have been held. No way would I have attended a gathering like that.
However, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell these people it was not essential. Maybe it was essential to THEM. Maybe it was what they felt they needed to do to get through this and it was the only thing that brought them comfort. We can't be the arbiter of what's essential to someone else when it comes to religion in this country. I don't agree with what they did but I understand it.

Grocery thread? Can you post a link?

Does anyone have other C-virus related threads they know about?

Thankx

This is the direct link to the C-virus page but whatever page you are on, just click on the tab near the top of each page that says "Coronavirus - Covid-19" and it will take you to the page that lists all the related threads.

I think you’re joking. Right? :D

Cheesecloth is used as a strainer for cheesemaking and other food.

Cheesecloth - Wikipedia

If I told you I was joking, I'd be lying. Once I posted that I started thinking that it probably wouldn't be good. So, that huge box of cheesecloth in my garage will just exist there, until I figure out another way to use it.

Considering how long outbreaks are continuing in places like Italy even with stores and schools closing weeks ago, I'd vote for home delivery only on those items and closing the stores to reduce people traveling and coming into contact with each other or the store assistants.

I think we need every edge we can get to minimise the health/medical suffering.

Supermarkets that usually have sections for makeup or paper and pens could even get rid of that stuff cheap and then use the space for toilet rolls and cleaning products .... Over here they reckon they're okay for getting the deliveries to the stores but even with the purchase limits there are still a lot of shelves that are looking quite bare.

In a way, the more stores that are open, the more it acts as an encouragement for a family to go out shopping as if it was normal times....these aren't normal times.

And if the supermarkets take some of those products off the shelves so that they can use the shelves for other products, and then another company can do home delivery on the clothing/note books, reading books, etc, people have more incentive to 'shop around' different stores instead of funelling all the money through the supermarkets.

Maybe the situation is different in some places in the US, but even in the UK the focus is more on 'essential' products being food and medicine, cleaning products, and self hygiene products, and you can't get those from a craft shop, office supplies store, or book store. Maybe for the duration of the pandemic, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the food stores focus on what they were initially set up to sell (fifty odd years ago) and let the other stores sell by home delivery to reduce the number of outings and human interactions?
We don't need the shelf space for toilet paper or cleaning supplies because there isn't much of it. :pFrom what I hear, it last for about 10 minutes on the shelf before it's gone for the day.

It is not 'normal' times. But children need to do normal activities still. They are the ones who can end up very scarred by this if they did not have some healthy outlets.

And they have homeschooling and studies to do. These supplies are used for those kinds of things.

Children's brains NEED to be exercised during this time frame. Our 4 yr old is like a mental sponge. She is so curious and so perceptive. We need to keep feeding those brain cells now.

I know these are dangerous times. I almost never go outside. But I have gone to senior hour shopping twice since March 12th. Both times, suited up like a HazMat worker...;)

I am not going to tell myself that 2 extra minutes inside the store, while wearing hats, masks, gloves, scarves and protective glasses, is going to kill me and others, because of it. I want to have some level balance and probability, as I continue with my self quarantine adventure. :oops:

I fully agree the service should not have been held. No way would I have attended a gathering like that.
However, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell these people it was not essential. Maybe it was essential to THEM. Maybe it was what they felt they needed to do to get through this and it was the only thing that brought them comfort. We can't be the arbiter of what's essential to someone else when it comes to religion in this country. I don't agree with what they did but I understand it.

I'm not from/in the USA, but I don't see it as a question of religion. All our churches in the UK have been closed for regular services for a couple of weeks now, and of course I think that's a very sad thing.

But I also think most congregations will have someone who can help the priest/pastor do a service online. The priest/pastor can phone people who can't get online.

How heartbreaking would it be for a church or similar religious place to create a cluster of infections, and the hospital isn't going to be allowing the priest in to do Last Rites. And all the congregation at the church won't be allowed to be present at the funeral of anyone who dies.

Freedom of religion, yes! Freedom to be careless with the lives of others? No! And I doubt very much that most religious leaders and congregations would want to be part of putting the vulnerable at risk.

Maybe there's more I would like to say about this but I don't want to get into religious debate as that's against the TOS. Suffice to say that we have to adapt in everything. We're still free to choose our religion, but for the time being, in order to save lives we have been told to curtail large and close-quarters gatherings and find other ways to come together in support and fellowship.

Instacart has begun sending messages to some of its workers saying they may have been exposed to COVID-19. The move is to let those workers know where the exposure happened and what it's doing to support them.

The company has confirmed at least one incident, which happened in Cambridge, Massachusetts. After being notified by its grocery store partner in the area that a supermarket employee had tested positive for COVID-19, Instacart said it reached out to its workers who'd been in that same store.”

Instacart quietly tells some workers they might've been exposed to COVID-19

Gathering during a pandemic is a false comfort. How many people who sang together last Sunday will die alone before the month is over?

Of course we have to. I take very strong precautions. I don't go to Walmart, I go to a smaller local market. ...during senior hours.

I wear a baseball cap, huge 'yellow' lensed sunglasses which surround my eyeglasses, a hospital mask with an inner layer of protection, a scarf around my neck, and rubber gloves.

I move quickly and only pick top exactly what I am going to purchase....and I go during senior hour, when there are very few allowed in the market at once.

Life has to go on. We have to have a smooth, functional quarantine for our stressed families. If I can help make that happen, by giving an energetic 4 yr old something fun to focus on, so her parents can have a less tension filled day, I will try to do so. It's a medical necessity, in my opinion.

I am not throwing a Corona party or going to a speak easy. But I will try and make the best of this stress filled situation and make it as safe but as smooth as possible as well. My husband's birthday is tomorrow and I am baking him a cake and throwing him a Zoom party while we sing and blow out his candles. Life goes on....

Please be careful with Zoom...*advertiser censored* and other people have been hacking it especially when teachers ate trying to instruct the class.

There are more links about this but here are a few

and Happy Birthday to your husband!

Hackers take over Utah GOP video conference with *advertiser censored*, racial slurs

I-TEAM: Hacker gained access to CSRA middle school Zoom chat and showed *advertiser censored* to students

Zoom under scrutiny in US over privacy, *advertiser censored* hacks | Daily Mail Online

Of course we have to. I take very strong precautions. I don't go to Walmart, I go to a smaller local market. ...during senior hours.

I wear a baseball cap, huge 'yellow' lensed sunglasses which surround my eyeglasses, a hospital mask with an inner layer of protection, a scarf around my neck, and rubber gloves.

I move quickly and only pick top exactly what I am going to purchase....and I go during senior hour, when there are very few allowed in the market at once.

Life has to go on. We have to have a smooth, functional quarantine for our stressed families. If I can help make that happen, by giving an energetic 4 yr old something fun to focus on, so her parents can have a less tension filled day, I will try to do so. It's a medical necessity, in my opinion.

I am not throwing a Corona party or going to a speak easy. But I will try and make the best of this stress filled situation and make it as safe but as smooth as possible as well. My husband's birthday is tomorrow and I am baking him a cake and throwing him a Zoom party while we sing and blow out his candles. Life goes on....

I'm not disagreeing with any of your points, and I definitely want all the kids to have access to anything they need for educational purposes or fun or craft projects, reading, drawing, etc. Not every child lives in a home with a garden, even, they definitely need indoor things to do when the government says they're only allowed one walk in the neighborhood with their parents each day.

The only bit I was saying was that maybe some of these purchases can be done by home delivery rather than encouraging people to go to stores that sell only those items. And that maybe we can cope if the supermarkets let those items run down, use the space to put toilet rolls or other grocery/household items out, because what we've been told here is that they are getting the items from the manufacturers and wholesalers, but it disappears from the shelves too fast.. So maybe an extra aisle for those items would help a little bit?

And if the supermarkets let those other items run down, then maybe the craft and office supply stores won't feel such a need to open to customers if they know they're now going to get extra customers who'd normally have bought a pack of felt-tip pens in the supermarket while they got their groceries, and now they'll order it from their website instead, so it reduces the need for them to open while increasing their customer base for the duration. And I don't think that's going to harm the bottom line of any of the supermarkets right now.

I'm not disagreeing with any of your points, and I definitely want all the kids to have access to anything they need for educational purposes or fun or craft projects, reading, drawing, etc. Not every child lives in a home with a garden, even, they definitely need indoor things to do when the government says they're only allowed one walk in the neighborhood with their parents each day.

The only bit I was saying was that maybe some of these purchases can be done by home delivery rather than encouraging people to go to stores that sell only those items. And that maybe we can cope if the supermarkets let those items run down, use the space to put toilet rolls or other grocery/household items out, because what we've been told here is that they are getting the items from the manufacturers and wholesalers, but it disappears from the shelves too fast.. So maybe an extra aisle for those items would help a little bit?

And if the supermarkets let those other items run down, then maybe the craft and office supply stores won't feel such a need to open to customers if they know they're now going to get extra customers who'd normally have bought a pack of felt-tip pens in the supermarket while they got their groceries, and now they'll order it from their website instead, so it reduces the need for them to open while increasing their customer base for the duration. And I don't think that's going to harm the bottom line of any of the supermarkets right now.
I agree.

This is the direct link to the C-virus page but whatever page you are on, just click on the tab near the top of each page that says "Coronavirus - Covid-19" and it will take you to the page that lists all the related threads.
Thanks sillybilly!
I want to make sure I post in the right Covid-19
threads.

There is SO MUCH information coming in from all these various sections of the USA and abroad, that I am thankful to have these threads to share and learn from. It means your not alone, you find out others feel as you do!

Thankx for keeping the threads going....:)

Gig workers say sick pay for coronavirus is hard to come by

“Gig workers have been on the front lines during the coronavirus pandemic. They drove travelers coming from around the world before the extent of the crisis was understood. And now, they shop and deliver food to those who've been quarantined and often take sick people to hospitals. California, along with several other states, has recognized gig workers' importance, deeming their labor "essential" -- meaning they can continue to work even as the virus spreads.

Uber, Lyft, Instacart, DoorDash and Postmates wouldn't say how many of their workers have been infected with COVID-19, when contacted by CNET. But two Uber drivers were exposed to a passenger thought to have COVID-19 in Mexico City. Another driver was exposed in London after taking an infected rider to the hospital. And in Queens, New York, Mayor Bill DeBlasio confirmed a male Uber driver in his 30s was hospitalizedafter testing positive for the virus. On Tuesday, another Queens Uber driver, Anil Subba, became the first known gig worker to die from COVID-19.

CNET spoke to three Uber drivers, a Lyft driver and an Instacart shopper who have either tested positive for COVID-19 or are exhibiting symptoms of the pneumonia-like illness. All say they've struggled to get help from the companies.”

If I told you I was joking, I'd be lying. Once I posted that I started thinking that it probably wouldn't be good. So, that huge box of cheesecloth in my garage will just exist there, until I figure out another way to use it.

I thought maybe you have a really dry sense of humor. :) I think we are probably all trying to figure out how to make use of what we have, so I get it. I won’t suggest you make cheese though. :p

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Did anyone/everyone here stock up on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, masks, etc., in January because of this looming pandemic? According to a study by Johns Hopkins, no country was prepared for the devastation of this pandemic.

China Reveals 1,541 Symptom-Free Virus Cases Under Pressure
March 31, 2020

“China said that it’s put 1,541 people infected with the novel coronavirus but who don’t have symptoms under observation as of March 30, a much-anticipated announcement which helps provide a deeper picture of the scale of the country’s epidemic”

[...]

“The country still has 2,161 cases in hospital as of March 30, according to health commission data.

[...]

“Cases of asymptomatic virus infections are still being found even after China said its daily confirmed case tally hit zero for the first time two weeks ago, local magazine Caixin reported. It’s fueled doubt over whether the epidemic that broke out in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December is truly over.

While it’s unclear what proportion of infected people do not display symptoms, early signs are that it could be a substantial number and that these stealthy carriers are still infectious -- a key reason why the pandemic has spread so widely across the world in a short time.

As many as a third of the people in China who test positive show delayed symptoms or none at all, the South China Morning Post reported earlier this month, citing classified data from the Chinese government. About 20% of those who tested positive for the virus in South Korea end up showing no symptoms at all during their hospital stays, according to the country’s CDC chief, Jung Eun-kyeong.”

I decided to look it up, as I have a bunch too, from my mom's kitchen. And she never made cheese so I wondered what she used it for. Just figured it out...

7 Ways to Use Cheesecloth (That Aren’t Cheesemaking!)

7 Ways to Use Cheesecloth (That Aren't Cheesemaking!)

You may have seen cheesecloth mentioned in recipes for cheese, soups, and poultry but this handy kitchen tool has many other uses.

Did anyone/everyone here stock up on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, masks, etc., in January because of this looming pandemic? According to a study by Johns Hopkins, no country was prepared for the devastation of this pandemic.
I began stocking up in February, but only because of this thread. Otherwise I'd probably wouldn't have.

Wish I had been more serious about TP though...

Yeah. I did, as soon as other parts of the country/world, had reports of hoarding.

I stocked up well before it was cool. I didn’t go crazy or anything, but I’m good for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14