Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?
POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?
POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

COVID-19 Coronavirus Memorial Thread
______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

______

Websleuth's main Coronavirus Forum

_______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37
Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN WARNING:

This thread is fast moving and labour intensive and we have other active threads that need attention.

Politicizing is NOT allowed. If your post is found to contain political statements or politics in general, it will be removed and a thread ban will be issued which means you will not be able to post in this thread, only read.

Critique your own post before submitting it to the thread to make sure it does not have a political bent; otherwise you may find you lose posting privileges.

Post accordingly.

Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOUR FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

MOD NOTE
A few things to help keep this vital discussion open and safe:

• This forum is NOT for debate. It is for the sharing of information and feelings. If someone’s feelings are not in line with yours, DO NOT DEBATE. It is not productive and it negates the purpose of the discussion here. STOP before you reply in anger to someone who posted something you do not agree with or like. REPORT it instead and Mods will determine how to handle it or whether it can stay. DO NOT DEBATE.
  • Discussing personal FB posts of ANY kind, yours included, is a violation of TOS. Apparently Facebook has had a technical glitch and numerous posts by many folks were deleted in error. THAT IS NOT FOR DISCUSSION ON THIS BOARD, and those posts talking about it will be deleted.
  • ANY of the above CAN be discussed in Private Messages. That is where these subjects belong.
This is an extremely difficult and challenging time for all of us. It is not uncommon for fear to manifest itself in anger. We can try our best to direct our fear and anger in ways that do not hurt others, but will still allow for venting anger because that is normal and healthy. We just need to try to keep the anger off the boards so that we can all manage our fear at such a time as this.

ADMIN NOTE:

In case members aren't reading The Rules:

Do not politicize.
Do not discuss other members.
Do not discuss moderators or moderation (which can get members permanently banned).

BASHING WS ADMINISTRATORS and MODERATORS, and THEIR ACTIONS

Posting in a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not allowed. Please utilize the board's Private Message function or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

Here are the Dos and Donts of addressing your concerns to moderators or administrators:

Do be civil and polite. Bring up your concerns in a mature and respectful manner. If you are contacting us because you violated forum guidelines, be adult enough to admit your mistake. If your ID has been locked for some reason, talking politely to us about it in private, via e-mail or private message, can get your ID reinstated in many cases.

Do not be derogatory or insulting towards us. You will not get what you want by name calling or bashing us.

All we ask is that you treat us the way you would want us to treat you. If you treat us with respect, we will do the same for you.

Realize that a lot goes on behind the scenes. If you are thinking to yourself "Those moderators are either total idiots or they know something I do not", it's safe to assume we know something you do not.

Make sure you "Click to expand" the quoted Rule.

Just bear in mind you probably don't know the full and true story.

Do NOT respond to this post.

Please stop with the snarking and sniping and the divisive comments pitting member against member or state against state.

We are ALL in this mess together and antagonistic or inflammatory comments toward other members or other states will not be tolerated. Please bear in mind that everyone, including other WSers, are pretty scared and sensitive right now. Members and guests come here to read about the virus itself and its spread and what is being done about it.

If you can't post in a productive, respectful and responsible manner, your post will be removed. If it continues thread bans will be issued, meaning you can only read but not post.

In the UK, Sky News have been showing us images of the victims who have sadly passed away due to this virus and it really is more frightening than just seeing the numbers add up. A 13yr old RIP. 19yr old, no underlying health issues RIP, same with a 21yr old girl, healthy, RIP.. It is shocking to say the least. God help us X

UPDATED Coronavirus round-up: the retail response to Covid-19
INDUSTRY06 Mar 202011:16by Chloe Rigby

Europe_Fotolia_109902060_Subscription_Monthly_M_Main.jpg

116 people have been diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK, and one person has died. The official update shows that 18,083 people had been tested, with 17,968 negative tests, as of 9am today.

Snip

We’ll add new updates to this piece during Friday and start a new story on

Insights platform Contentsquare analysed more than 1,400 websites 1.8bn anonymised user sessions and 50m transactions in its data set in order to learn how shoppers are buying, and how that behaviour is changing over time.

It found that over the last two weeks – comparing the beginning of the period to the end – premium online grocery purchases have grown by 20%, while shoppers have spent 26% more time on grocery websites. Customers are buying more healthcare products (+27%), perhaps as shoppers look for ways to protect themselves. But they are spending less on travel planning websites (-20%). It also found that while sales of underwear, lingerie and sex toys were rising (+35%), sales of sports equipment were down by almost a third (-28%).
This UK info is 3 weeks out of date. We will likely hit 2000 deaths today IMO.

Volunteers working at the NHS Nightingale coronavirus hospital have been told to prepare for the fact that up to 80 per cent of patients who are on ventilators will die, MailOnline can reveal.

Selfless heroes flocking to staff the emergency 4,000-bed unit in east London have been told to 'be prepared to see death', with a mortality rate of 50 to 80 per cent among those on ventilators.

There also appears to be a shortage of doctors already before it opens today, because of a lack of testing for medics, leaving senior nurse practitioners in charge on some wards.

Volunteers at NHS Nightingale hospital warned up to 80 per cent of patients on ventilators will DIE | Daily Mail Online

The U.K government have been publicly condemned for their handling of this tragic crisis today on the breakfast news today for the low testing numbers and kits, lack of protective equipment for NHS staff and the fact we only have 12,000 ventilators for a country with 67 million people.

Volunteers working at the NHS Nightingale coronavirus hospital have been told to prepare for the fact that up to 80 per cent of patients who are on ventilators will die, MailOnline can reveal.

Selfless heroes flocking to staff the emergency 4,000-bed unit in east London have been told to 'be prepared to see death', with a mortality rate of 50 to 80 per cent among those on ventilators.

There also appears to be a shortage of doctors already before it opens today, because of a lack of testing for medics, leaving senior nurse practitioners in charge on some wards.

Volunteers at NHS Nightingale hospital warned up to 80 per cent of patients on ventilators will DIE | Daily Mail Online

The U.K government have been publicly condemned for their handling of this tragic crisis today on the breakfast news today for the low testing numbers and kits, lack of protective equipment for NHS staff and the fact we only have 12,000 ventilators for a country with 67 million people.

I watched this on breakfast news today. It’s appalling but not surprising I suppose, from a government that initially had a plan that in its entirety consisted of ‘wash your hands’.

US coronavirus death toll soars to more than 4,000 - doubling within THREE days - with more than 40 percent of fatalities in New York

The US coronavirus death toll soared to more than 4,000 last night, doubling within three days, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.

The number of deaths on Tuesday was 4,076 - more than twice the 2,010 recorded late Saturday - and more than 40 percent of the fatalities were in New York state.

US coronavirus death toll soars to more than 4,000 - doubling within THREE days | Daily Mail Online

The best advice I've read/heard:

Behave as though you have the virus and as though everyone else has the virus

And I add to that, for myself, the concept of for the greater good, when deciding what to do and what not to do

ETA:
For the 1st part, because of the transmission characteristics including incubation period and asymptomatic people

Last edited:
The best advice I've read/heard:

Behave as though you have the virus and as though everyone else has the virus

And I add to that, for myself, the concept of for the greater good, when deciding what to do and what not to do

ETA:
For the 1st part, because of the transmission characteristics including incubation period and asymptomatic people

Great advice and I love the added part about "Dont just do it for yourself and family, do it for the greater good of all mankind".

That is the one message that I really wish the public service announcements that Im starting to see on TV would do a better job of hammering home in their messages. For a lot of the general public that had not followed and studied this breakout like a lot of us here, its so easy to only think about protecting ourselves and our immediately family from catching it.

The public service announcements are doing a good job of telling people how not to catch it, but often the missing message is:

"Please dont be a spreader because you may end up being the source that killed a stranger, and you will never know that family's pain and grief you ended up contributing to".

"Dont just protect yourself and family, lets protect everyone by following our social distancing efforts for the greater good of all mankind".

I fully agree the service should not have been held. No way would I have attended a gathering like that.
However, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell these people it was not essential. Maybe it was essential to THEM. Maybe it was what they felt they needed to do to get through this and it was the only thing that brought them comfort. We can't be the arbiter of what's essential to someone else when it comes to religion in this country. I don't agree with what they did but I understand it.
I think the authorities deem it non essential. He can stream his broadcasts like the Pope has been doing.

The whole medical system will be overwhelmed at least for the next year I believe.
Including dentists, dermatologists, eye doctors, etc. etc. because a lot have closed doors until this passes (my dentist closed until mid April). They can’t risk the staff and Dr.s being exposed.
My RN-onco daughter mentioned to me the other day that people who’ve been newly diagnosed with cancer have been told to wait (if feasible) until after the peak to have the surgery required. I’ve been through breast cancer. I wanted it removed ASAP. I cannot imagine having to wait until this is over to have the tumor removed/surgeries.

So so true, regarding the ASAP. Think of this issue on a national scale, and international scale. How horrifying for people.

In the UK, Sky News have been showing us images of the victims who have sadly passed away due to this virus and it really is more frightening than just seeing the numbers add up. A 13yr old RIP. 19yr old, no underlying health issues RIP, same with a 21yr old girl, healthy, RIP.. It is shocking to say the least. God help us X

That is so sad. With the family's permission I wonder if that would be a good thing to have at the end of the Public Service Announcement TV commercials that are popping up now. At the very end after their messages, they could rotate through some pictures of a few of the younger victims and list their age. That would be a powerful message to the public and it may help some take it more seriously than they have been.

I do this too, I have a draft in my email program where I copy/paste any links I want to be able to find again.

I have never ever sent so many emails to myself!!!!! I have a pretty good subject line labeling system so it is working..

Ooh, can you give a recipe, or even just a description? My sweet tooth is strong but I am trying to limit carbs...

What about wind-breaker jacket material...
You wouldn't be able to breathe.

A perfect way to tell===hold a windbreaker up to your mouth and nose, tightly, and take some deep breaths. Does air get through and allow you to breathe in?

Cotton T-shirt material allows you to breathe, but is it protective enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14