Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@SandyQLS have you ventured out?
@Trudie
I go outside every day and take our normal walk at the park. Everyone keeps their distance. I have done so all along. But I have not been inside any building with humans in 21 days now, and it's a relief to reach that point. I will eventually need to go to a grocery store, but right now I still operate on 'Do I want bananas so badly that I would risk being on a ventilator?' and the answer is No.

What about you? Are you riding that man-horse that you tamed? :p

We have some guys that are in their seventy's that are drivers that work 3 days a week where I work. Business has dropped off so they are not getting as many hours as before.

I'm sure that hurts them. JMO.
My hubs drives for a car dealership group, part-time, but sometimes manages over 30 hrs/wk. He's not been working for the last 2 weeks and we do depend on that income. Many in the same boat.

We have some guys that are in their seventy's that are drivers that work 3 days a week where I work. Business has dropped off so they are not getting as many hours as before.

I'm sure that hurts them. JMO.
My hubs drives for a car dealership group, part-time, but sometimes manages over 30 hrs/wk. He's not been working for the last 2 weeks and we do depend on that income. Many in the same boat, and in that age group.

I read the reviews and it looks to be a gimmick.
‎Pulse Oximeter - Heart Rate and Oxygen Monitor App
It is not a gimmick, at all. My pulmonologist required me to have one and use it.

EVERY doctor, every EMT/paramedic uses one , first thing, when they see their patient It is used to quickly check their ability to get oxygen into their lungs

Haven't you ever been asked to put your pointer finger into the little device, and it shows numbers within seconds? Your blood oxygen level and your pulse rate will show up.

Mine saved my life when I had an acute asthma attack during the Cali wildfires. I checked mine in the middle of the night, and it usually reads 96 to 98%. That night I was in the 80's and needed an ambulance. Was in the hospital for 4 nights.

The Doctor used the Oximeter to help decide when my lungs were strong enough for me to be released. It's not a gimmick, at all.

What is a pulse oximeter and how is it being used during the COVID-19 pandemic?

GYW4L4TNHZFPJHDJOWCFDTYS4Q.jpg

Jack Black's shirtless Quarantine Dance takes TikTok by storm - CNN

(CNN)Jack Black may be staying home amid the coronaviruslockdown, but that doesn't mean he's been sitting idle.

With copious time on his hands, the 50-year-old star and Tenacious D frontman has been polishing his dance skills, and the hilarious results can be seen in a TikTok video that is lifting the spirits of viewers across the globe.”

[...]

As of Wednesday, the video has been viewed more than 2 million times and garnered almost 300,000 "likes."
Black is the latest in a stream of celebrityies joining TikTok since the coronavirus crisis began.
Gordon Ramsay, Justin and Hailey Bieber, Jason Derulo and Millie Bobby Brown have also been uploading TikTok dances and skits.”

It is not a gimmick, at all. My pulmonologist required me to have one and use it.

EVERY doctor, every EMT/paramedic uses one , first thing, when they see their patient It is used to quickly check their ability to get oxygen into their lungs

Haven't you ever been asked to put your pointer finger into the little device, and it shows numbers within seconds? Your blood oxygen level and your pulse rate will show up.

Mine saved my life when I had an acute asthma attack during the Cali wildfires. I checked mine in the middle of the night, and it usually reads 96 to 98%. That night I was in the 80's and needed an ambulance. Was in the hospital for 4 nights.

The Doctor used the Oximeter to help decide when my lungs were strong enough for me to be released. It's not a gimmick, at all.

GYW4L4TNHZFPJHDJOWCFDTYS4Q.jpg
We use these in hospitals, nursing facilities, doctor's offices. These are real medical devices to check pulse and oxygen level. I have 2 in my work bag.

Whaaaat? Why?

Apparently:

Citing “people with knowledge of deliberations inside the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Justice,” the Post reported that, in addition to hostile threats, Dr. Fauci is also receiving unwelcome attention from admirers — stalkers, more or less.

Report: Dr. Anthony Fauci gets security amid threats, stalkers

I think we can understand why he has admirers. But he also has enemies:

Dr. Fauci has been the Trump administration’s most outspoken advocate of social distancing rules that have shuttered the nation’s schools, forced businesses to close, kept people in their homes and battered the United States economy.

That has made him a target of online conspiracy theorists who have accused Dr. Fauci, a longtime scientist and civil servant who has served presidents of both parties, of trying to undermine Mr. Trump during a year in which the president is fighting for re-election.

After Threats, Anthony Fauci to Receive Enhanced Personal Security

I posted this several days ago. It provides more facts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...02de14-6df6-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html

As do these articles:

Dr. Anthony Fauci defends Trump, task force amid right-wing conspiracy theory attacks against him

Medical Expert Who Corrects Trump Is Now a Target of the Far Right

“France has converted its TGV high-speed trains into a moving hospital to transport coronavirus patients from regions strongly impacted by coronavirus to less affected places in the country.

On March 26, the first service of France's "medicalized" TGV train — a high-speed train that connects major French cities to each other and other European cities — transported 20 critically ill COVID-19 patients from France's Grand Est region in the northeast to the Lore region in the west where there are more hospital beds, according to NPR.”

[...]

“Every region will experience [its coronavirus peaks] the coming weeks, but at different times,” the doctor in charge of the TGV hospital project Lionel Lamhaut told France 2 television. “The idea is to take advantage of the lag times between regions and to transfer patients from the hard-hit to lesser-hit areas.”

5e838c90ba85ee6e4d6bac24

Ambulances by the TGV on March 26.
Frederick Florin/AFP via Getty Images
[...]

“France's army Airbus plane and helicopters have also transported COVID-19 patients to hospitals in other countries as well.”

[...]

“The trains can hit 200 mph, according to BBC.”

France has converted its high-speed TGV trains into ambulances to transport critically ill coronavirus patients across the country
- more photos at link

Last edited:
It seems we hear lots of frightening news, more and more everyday. This news gives me great HOPE. Hang on everybody.

'Pandemic' scientist says his team has discovered potential cure for COVID-19

"…His team in the Bay Area has been working around the clock trying to come up with a drug to treat COVID-19. Monday he announced he believes they've found one."

"We are happy to announce we have completed the engineering and we have some very potent antibodies that can be effective against the virus," said Dr. Glanville."

and this--

"We took a series of five antibodies from around 2002 that were able to neutralize SARS. We were able to use technology in our laboratories to evolve those antibodies against SARS to adapt them to recognize COVID-19."

"We tried with five different antibodies because we weren’t sure which one would work the best. All five worked so we have a pretty powerful tool chest available to us right now to produce a final therapeutic."

I
France has the best health care system in the world:

France's health-care system was ranked as the world's best—Here's how it compares with the US'

They have a higher life expectancy than we do. The French are healthier than us as well despite a diet full of butter and bread and wine.

Moreover, per Wikipedia, 62% of France’s population is between 15 and 65. But 63% of Americans are between 18-65.

20% of their population is over 65 and 13% of ours is over 65. So yes, their population is older than us.

And 79% of their deaths have been of those over the age of 75.

However, as of 3-19-20, our stats have been much grimmer.

20% of our deaths have been of people between the ages of 20-64. But only 1-7% of their COVID-19 deaths has been between those ages.

Coronavirus: age of patients in France 2020 | Statista

20% of US COVID-19 Deaths Were Aged 20-64

We stand to fare far worse than France, IMO, when it comes to the ages of those who die as well as the rate of those testing positive who don’t make it.

dbm

I can think of several reasons. My husband, although retired and receiving a small pension and our social security checks, still does some independent contracting jobs as a writer, to supplement our income.
Our expenses seemed to increase this past month. Ordering food online is costly as they charge higher prices. And many of the 'substitutions' sent were higher priced premium versions of the basics we ordered. And we tipped pretty generously.

So I spent much more on food and liquor , :p, this month than usual. And production in Hollywood is shut down, so I don't foresee him getting his usual side gigs for awhile.

Although he did get a few calls about some potential animated productions. Voice Over actors can still work so that may save us.

Also, our 401k took a big hit. Holding our breath to see what happens next...

Anyway, those stimulus checks would be a big help. If nothing else, they would be donated to my son and his wife, as she has been laid off, and he is not sure how much longer he will be working now either. :confused:

This was posted in NJ newspaper today. Info IRA 401k Not sure if any of this info will help you

The coronavirus stimulus package is going to send much-needed relief to Americans.

There’s an added benefit for seniors who take annual Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) from their retirement accounts.

You’re not going to have to take your 2020 RMD.

That’s going to be a big help for people’s portfolios, allowing them to stay invested and hopefully not lock in losses.

Congress has done this before. RMDs were suspended for tax year 2009 during the financial crisis.

Normally, those who are 72 and older (it was 70 1/2 before the SECURE Act) must take mandatory distributions from IRAs, 401(k)s and other retirement plans by Dec. 31, otherwise they’d face a hefty penalty worth 50% of what was supposed to be withdrawn.

Those who have inherited IRAs also have to take annual distributions, but the stimulus law suspends those withdrawals, too.

If you’ve already taken your RMD for 2020, you can actually put it back or roll it into a new IRA if it’s within a 60-day period without facing taxes and penalties. It’s unclear if the IRS will extend that window for all RMDs taken in 2020.

There may be more information in the link

Here’s another benefit for seniors from the coronavirus stimulus bill

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-09-09.pdf

I draw the line on prisoners who are free to re-offend because of the virus. Their feeble sense of self preservation will not prevent them from continuing to living as criminals.

Convicted prisoners should not be given a reprieve, except when the people keeping them incarcerated give them a fatal respiratory virus. That's overkill. If their keepers spread the virus, and they are sick, they should be transferred to a different facility. Didn't we hear that some states have no problem with the virus. Maybe they can accommodate extra prisoners.
Good idea but I don't know if states would want to foot that bill. Probation officers are going to be overworked just trying to monitor the activity of the released prisoners. We shall see. More fallout from this horrible situation and more reason to stay home.

Before a Washington mother died of coronavirus, her six children used a walkie-talkie to say goodbye

Before a Washington mother died of coronavirus, her children used a walkie-talkie to say goodbye - CNN

This is such a tragedy. When I posted about this family awhile back I didn’t realize they had been able to say goodbye. So thanks for posting this followup. This family is outstanding. The younger three in their teens will be raised by their 24 year old brother, who would have been only 16 when his Dad died eight years ago. Sundee did an outstanding job raising these kids as a single Mom since then, while recently beating breast cancer. I was pleased to see that the account has increased to almost $500K to help with legal fees for custody, housing and getting the education their Mom wanted all of them to have.

The person you replied to was referring to the phone app for reading O2 levels as a gimmick, not the real oximeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en