Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37
Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

MOD NOTE
A few things to help keep this vital discussion open and safe:

• This forum is NOT for debate. It is for the sharing of information and feelings. If someone’s feelings are not in line with yours, DO NOT DEBATE. It is not productive and it negates the purpose of the discussion here. STOP before you reply in anger to someone who posted something you do not agree with or like. REPORT it instead and Mods will determine how to handle it or whether it can stay. DO NOT DEBATE.
  • Discussing personal FB posts of ANY kind, yours included, is a violation of TOS. Apparently Facebook has had a technical glitch and numerous posts by many folks were deleted in error. THAT IS NOT FOR DISCUSSION ON THIS BOARD, and those posts talking about it will be deleted.
  • ANY of the above CAN be discussed in Private Messages. That is where these subjects belong.
This is an extremely difficult and challenging time for all of us. It is not uncommon for fear to manifest itself in anger. We can try our best to direct our fear and anger in ways that do not hurt others, but will still allow for venting anger because that is normal and healthy. We just need to try to keep the anger off the boards so that we can all manage our fear at such a time as this.

ADMIN NOTE:

In case members aren't reading The Rules:

Do not politicize.
Do not discuss other members.
Do not discuss moderators or moderation (which can get members permanently banned).

BASHING WS ADMINISTRATORS and MODERATORS, and THEIR ACTIONS

Posting in a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not allowed. Please utilize the board's Private Message function or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

Here are the Dos and Donts of addressing your concerns to moderators or administrators:

Do be civil and polite. Bring up your concerns in a mature and respectful manner. If you are contacting us because you violated forum guidelines, be adult enough to admit your mistake. If your ID has been locked for some reason, talking politely to us about it in private, via e-mail or private message, can get your ID reinstated in many cases.

Do not be derogatory or insulting towards us. You will not get what you want by name calling or bashing us.

All we ask is that you treat us the way you would want us to treat you. If you treat us with respect, we will do the same for you.

Realize that a lot goes on behind the scenes. If you are thinking to yourself "Those moderators are either total idiots or they know something I do not", it's safe to assume we know something you do not.

Make sure you "Click to expand" the quoted Rule.

Just bear in mind you probably don't know the full and true story.

Do NOT respond to this post.

Please stop with the snarking and sniping and the divisive comments pitting member against member or state against state.

We are ALL in this mess together and antagonistic or inflammatory comments toward other members or other states will not be tolerated. Please bear in mind that everyone, including other WSers, are pretty scared and sensitive right now. Members and guests come here to read about the virus itself and its spread and what is being done about it.

If you can't post in a productive, respectful and responsible manner, your post will be removed. If it continues thread bans will be issued, meaning you can only read but not post.

I don't feel sick. Should I wear a face mask?

367c54c8-df5b-4a34-9f8f-f4e570ac10cf.jpg

[...]

"What we recommend is that people who are sick wear masks -- medical masks, not N95 masks with respirators. Those must be reserved for our frontline workers who are caring for patients," she said.

"We also need people who are caring for those who are sick to be wearing the masks," she said.

[...]

"We have to prioritize the use of masks for frontline workers, if that is one thing I can stress. Medical masks, respirators, gloves, gowns, these are people who are putting their lives on the line to help us, to care for other people and they must be protected," she said.

[...]

On Monday, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Robert Redfield, told NPR that his organization was reviewing its guidelines and may recommend general mask use to guard against community infection. Trump said the US plans to release new recommendations on face masks in the coming days.

[...]

Read more about the global debate on face masks here:
Asia may have been right about coronavirus and face masks, and the rest of the world is coming around

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

Coronavirus live updates: Global cases surpass 1 million, 6.6 million unemployment claims filed

With U.S. border work on track, rural towns fear virus spread
BILLINGS, Mont. — Major construction projects moving forward along the U.S. borders with Canada and Mexico are raising fears the coronavirus could race through temporary work camps and spread to rural communities unable to handle an outbreak.

[...]

Residents, tribal leaders and state officials have warned that the influx of outsiders could make problems worse in rural areas with little or no medical infrastructure capable of dealing with a surge of infections. The border wall and pipeline are exempt from stay-at-home restrictions intended to reduce the virus’s spread.

Tokyo records largest single-day rise in cases

Japan reported 235 new cases of the novel coronavirus today, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the country to 3,329.

The East Asian country also reported three new coronavirus-related deaths.

Tokyo had its largest single-day rise yet, with 97 new cases. The number of cases reported in the capital is now 684.

Japan’s national total includes 2,617 cases on land and 712 related to the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which was quarantined in Yokohama Bay for two weeks in February.

[...]

(Also posting to Japan thread)

@10ofRods you mentioned a study that 20-50% of the people in Iceland tested positive for the virus. I’m not finding that at all.

What I’m finding is that by March 18 it was about 6% of the those tested who were positive and 3,787 had been tested.
Why Iceland might be the key to understanding coronavirus

By this week it was 17,900 tested. Of those, 9,000 were specifically screened by epidemiologists to determine how many were positive and how many positives were asymptomatic.

Only 1% of the 9,000 tested positive. Not 20 or 50. (Of those half were asymptomatic). They hope to have a sample of 13% of the entire population eventually.
Half of Iceland's COVID-19 spreaders may be asymptomatic, early data suggest

Iceland should tell us a lot in the coming weeks and months.

''What you need to know

• Global cases top 1 million: The novel coronavirus has infected more than 1,014,000 people and killed nearly 53,000, according to Johns Hopkins University.
  • Worst-hit country: The US has reported more than 244,000 cases, with over 5,900 deaths.
  • Jobless claims rise: A total of 6.6 million people in the US filed for unemployment last week -- the highest number of initial claims in history.
  • Supplies running out: US federal stockpiles of emergency medical gear are almost depleted.''
''46 min ago rbbm.
Peru becomes the latest country to embrace gender-based quarantine
Peru will allow men and women out on separate days as part of a gender-based quarantine measure designed to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus in the country.

The new measures will begin in Peru today, President Martin Vizcarra announced to the nation on Thursday. So far, Peru has reported 1,414 cases of coronavirus and 55 deaths.

"Monday, Wednesday, and Friday," only men can be outside; "Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, only women are allowed to circulate," said Vizcarra. The gender-based measure will be in effect until Sunday, April 12.
It comes two days after Panama began restricting movement by gender, arguing the measure urges people to return home since their loves ones are not allowed to be outside.''

South Korea becomes second country in Asia to record more than 10,000 cases

At least 10,062 cases of the novel coronavirus have now been recorded in South Korea, after a rise of 86 new infections were reported by authorities today.

[...]

China is the only other country in Asia to record more than 10,000 cases. It's current total stands at over 82,000.

Nearly 60% of South Korea's patients have recovered: Just a month ago, South Korea had one of the largest outbreaks in the world. But the number of daily cases has steadily dropped ...

At least 6,021 people diagnosed with the virus in South Korea have recovered -- 59.8% of the total number of patients. Some 3,867 people are still being treated in isolation.

(Also posted in South Korea thread)

New York's governor says the coronavirus pandemic is like "a slow-moving hurricane across the country"

ee50aa35-0722-43ef-8e75-19f060d724bf.jpg

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday on CNN’s coronavirus town hall that the city has about six days at “the current burn rate of ventilators.”

“It’s very simple: A person comes into the ICU unit. They need the ventilator, or they die. It’s that basic proposition,” Cuomo said.

Cuomo said the state has purchased 17,000 ventilators but they haven’t been delivered because they are coming from China and there are 50 states and the federal government all competing for the equipment. New York only has 4,000 ventilators in the state, Cuomo said.

[...]

Cuomo said that once New York runs out of ventilators, the state will have to share the machines between patients, use BiPap machines, anesthesia machines and other creative strategies such as canceling all non-elective surgeries to provide people the care they need. He also said he will redeploy the ventilators to the places that need them the most.

[...]

“It’s like watching a slow-moving hurricane across the country, where you know the path that it’s taking. Why not deploy the national resources and just stay ahead of the hurricane?” Cuomo asked.

States, he said, cannot manage the ventilator problem on their own.

“I have a 50,000 bed health system. I don’t have the resources to be able to build an additional 50,000 beds just in case there’s a public health emergency and a pandemic every 10 years. You know, it doesn’t work that way,” Cuomo said.

[...]

(Also posted to New York thread)

@CeeCeeCat You’re so kind to ask about her, thank you!

Our day at the vet in Montgomery, TX: I called when we arrived at the clinic, and a masked and gloved vet tech came out and and took la mia principessa in to see the vet while I waited in my car. The vet called me to discuss her symptoms and then called again with her care plan advice. The vet aspirated fluid from what was a swollen salivary gland with edema to be sent to a lab.

La mia principessa was then swiftly returned to my car with antibiotics, prednisone, and a large bill, which I paid over the phone. Awaiting lab results!

All very cloak and dagger. Very efficient!

Last edited:
Check this out. China hoards 2 billion face masks
EDITED: grammar.

Next, maybe offensive to some post:

I smiled when I read about nurse using her bra cup as a mask. I think from earlier reading here today. So I’m moving forward with the idea, really? ...
Then I put it up to my face, perfect fit. I’ll cut it up and let you all know tomorrow how it works out.
But I think I better embellish it somehow so it’s not so OBVIOUSLY a cut up bra cup! Lol.

An update from my shift today in a Denver METRO hospital. I stress "METRO" cuz my hospital is not in the city or county of Denver - but heckin' close. Anywhoo.

The floor I work on is a "non-COVID" floor so my info is from our nursing manager. We have 85 patients on the COVID floors. 62 are confirmed. 16 are vented. 3 discharged today. 1 passed away (82yo female found down at home 3 days after a fall and also COVID +).

Our PACU may be the next to convert to COVID. I hope my floor isn't next because I dont want my hours cut nor do I want a crash course in critical care.

We got our temps checked this morning at entrance and were given one disposable mask with a paper bag to put it in during "breaks" and lunch for a 13 hours shift. I forgot to use my bag and just threw my mask in my pocket during lunch break. But lemme tell you - taking it off when I left was GLORIOUS.

That's all I got! I work tomorrow and Saturday so will try to get more updates.

Stay safe, y'all!!

In Reply to @Seenit, last thread, question about Captain Crozier

"I just be read that, too. Why would they do that?"

The strongly worded letter leaked to the media and generated a series of headlines.

"Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Crozier was removed from his post because he sent the letter, over "non-secure unclassified email" to a "broad array of people" rather than up the chain of command."

"Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interest of the safety and well-being of his crew, but Unfortunately, it did the opposite. It unnecessarily raised the alarm of the families of our sailors and Marines with no plans to address those concerns."

Thomas Modly insisted the that decision was his alone saying the Captain allowed the complexity of the challenge of the COVID breakout on the ship to overwhelm his ability to act professionally.

Many people are very upset with Modly's decision. (More in the link)

Navy relieves captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 on ship

1585840624723_248x140_thumbnail.jpg

THURSDAY, April 2, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Yet another potential vaccine against the new coronavirus is in early development -- one that researchers say could be rapidly made and distributed if it proves effective.

Scientists developing coronavirus vaccine delivered via fingertip-sized patch
The vaccine has only been tested in lab mice, but it's able to spur the animals' immune systems to produce antibodies against the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh reported the early results April 2 in the journal EBioMedicine.

Much work remains ahead. But if the vaccine proves safe and effective in people, it would have some key advantages in the real world, according to Dr. Louis Falo, one of the senior researchers on the study.

The vaccine is a combination of old and new technology. In much the same way as a flu shot, it exposes the immune system to lab-made pieces of viral proteins -- teaching it to recognize and attack the real virus.

What's new is the delivery system, explained Falo, a professor at Pitt's School of Medicine. The vaccine would be given using a tiny patch of "microneedles" that are made entirely of the viral proteins and sugar. The needles simply dissolve into the skin, he said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...another-covid-19-vaccine-being-tested-in-mice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli