Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expert warns surfers and outdoor enthusiasts of added risks for coronavirus spread – Daily Breeze

Surfers are grappling with a decision: with an early-season south swell hitting local beaches, should they scout out a still-open beach and risk riding waves?

An expert warns that might not be a good idea, with new studies coming out about coronavirus that could be troubling for not only surfing, but other outdoor activities such as running and biking in breezy environments.

Coronavirus could be much smaller than previously believed and aerosolized as a fine spray – meaning it lasts longer in the air and travels farther than 6 feet, said Kimberly Prather, an atmospheric chemist and professor at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego first interviewed by the Union Tribune.

“1:04 AM
Bus driver who railed against coughing passenger dies from COVID-19

A Detroit bus driver who had expressed anger on Facebook about a coughing passenger has died from COVID-19, officials said Thursday.

Jason Hargrove felt ill about four days after posting a passionate video on social media on March 21. He died Wednesday, said Glenn Tolbert, the head of the drivers union.

Hargrove posted a profanity-laced video complaining about a woman he said repeatedly coughed while on his bus. The coronavirus can spread through coughs. The woman wasn't in the video.

Hargrove said drivers are "public workers doing our job, trying to make a honest living, take care of our families."

"For you to get on the bus ... and cough several times without covering up your mouth and you know (we're) in the middle of a pandemic - that lets me know that some folks don't care," Hargrove said. "At some point in time, we've got to draw the line and say enough is enough. I feel violated."

On March 17, the city eliminated fares, promised more cleaning and told bus riders to enter and exit from the rear door only. The changes occurred after drivers refused to work that day to protest conditions.

Mayor Mike Duggan said "everybody in America" should watch Hargrove's video.”

Coronavirus updates from April 2, 2020

Last edited:
How Fauci and Birx got Trump to listen to science

9760230d-bfc5-45cb-894f-93142750c94f.jpeg

It's the piece of advice long-timers offer nearly every new arrival to President Donald Trump's ranks: bring visual aids. Luckily for Drs. Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx, charts are their thing.

Summoned to the Oval Office last weekend to state their case for keeping the country closed, Fauci and Birx arrived armed with tangled multicolored lines, stippled mountains of various heights and one ominous inky blue bell curve showing American deaths from coronavirus rising to 2.2 million if social distancing efforts were abandoned.

[...]

Still, the charts -- printed in color and blown up for effect -- seemed to work, even as some of Trump's advisers now question their accuracy. Trump announced hours later he was extending his coronavirus guidelines another 30 days, despite a strong inclination to open the nation for business.

... Fauci and Birx -- the two top medical experts on the White House coronavirus task force -- have emerged as central figures advising Trump and fixations for a nation grappling with a generation-defining crisis.

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

This is getting past outrageous, it’s simply dangerous. They are in prison for a reason. Should the health of convicted child rapists and murderers be placed above the lives of law-abiding citizens and their children?

Three convicted child rapists released from N.Y. prison during coronavirus outbreak: Report

Nooooooooooo!!!! How can this be?????? Releasing nonviolent offenders is one thing, but....

This is unbelievable!!! Early on in February iirc Iran released 54,000 prisoners for the same reason and at that time I said something like “I hope they don’t do this in the States...nah, this is the US, that won’t happen...actually I take that back, they release sex offenders and violent criminals all time...we see it right here on WS them out on the street and reoffending all the time...”

I can’t believe this. This is such bad news. What can we do about this?? They’re already released!! Gahhhh...surely they can find a place for them, there is land and space and buildings...grrrrrr

This is a VERY BAD ripple effect happening here. We’ve got to stop this before more states do this...omg I’m going to have a heart attack over this!!!! This is unacceptable!!!!!!!

Yeah that report might be the one that sends me over the edge. Omggggg. You guys!!!!!

Last edited:
The coronavirus death toll in the United States has passed 6,000

At least 245,559 cases of Covid-19 have been reported in the United States, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Infections have been reported in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other US territories.

A total of 6,057 coronavirus-related deaths have been reported in the country as of early Friday morning on the East Coast. Wyoming is the only state not reporting a death from coronavirus.

Almost 8% of UK National Health Service staff are off work sick

a83c39bd-da6f-4238-a850-542032401f13.jpg

... a line of ambulances stands outside the ExCel center, which is being turned into a 4,000-bed temporary hospital called NHS Nightingale to deal with coronavirus patients in London.

Nearly 8% of staff working for the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) are currently off sick, health minister Matt Hancock said in an interview with Sky News Friday.

The British government has been under intense pressure to provide more support to frontline medical workers as they struggle to deal with the coronavirus outbreak. Hancock said 5.7% of doctors were off work.

[...]

(Also posted in UK & Ireland thread)

Last edited:
I find this extremely concerning. We've seen all the news articles about governments/hospitals trying to increase availability of Intensive Care beds and ventilators, but if these drugs run out, then you can't put anyone on those ventilators.

It scares me to think of all the supply chain issues like this that the general public are not aware of. It scares me how businesses, hospitals, governments are going to be able to manage *all* of these things running concurrently and happening *everywhere*.

Coronavirus: European hospitals could run out of intensive care drugs 'in days'

Chinese Americans on the forefront of advocating wearing masks in public

3e7a6f8f-0325-4235-9f5b-5148b184ac6f.jpg

Three generations of a Chinese American family in the Boston area make face masks at home.

[...]

But the homemaker in Medfield, Massachusetts, is more than just a mask maker -- she has become a mask advocate, long before President Donald Trump's coronavirus task force is expected to recommend that Americans begin wearing face coverings in public.

[...]

b53b02db-ee29-447d-8eb0-f2996e72c4ef.jpg

Some of the face masks which Chinese Americans in Boston are sewing to help people out during the pandemic.

[...]

Xue and other members of a local WeChat group sewed more than 1,300 masks within a week, delivering them to several local hospitals. But even when the medical institutions advised them not to send in any more handmade masks, Xue didn’t stop -- shifting her focus to the general public.

Trying to convince most Americans about the usefulness of wearing masks hasn’t been easy, though, due to long-held cultural beliefs. Xue said even her adult children, born and raised in the US, have been resistant to the idea.

d9fbbd46-b2aa-4e95-9320-fef9ef978359.jpg

An example of some of the homemade face masks being provided.

[...]

Xue remains undaunted, determined to shine a spotlight on the topic as she believes Americans are lagged behind in self-protection due to lack of accurate information.

Feeling heartened by the sight of a growing number of people wearing masks outdoors -- observed during her occasional grocery shopping trips -- Xue thinks new US government guidance on the issue would not only prompt more Americans to cover their faces in public but also spur the demand for DIY masks.

[...]

A little brightness. My Dad is 84 on Sunday. He has never exactly embraced technology. Now that he is registered blind, and in view of the fact he’s socially distancing alone, I really wanted to set him up with Alexa - his response to that was, “if I need to know anything, CeeCeeCat, I just call you. I don’t need a spying machine thank you” lol. Anyway, he just called me very excited, to tell me he’s chairing a Macular meeting next week and has set up a conference call with 45 attendees. I’m so proud of him ❤️

This is getting past outrageous, it’s simply dangerous. They are in prison for a reason. Should the health of convicted child rapists and murderers be placed above the lives of law-abiding citizens and their children?

Three convicted child rapists released from N.Y. prison during coronavirus outbreak: Report

This just makes me mad! What is the thinking behind this?

Nooooooooooo!!!! How can this be?????? Releasing nonviolent offenders is one thing, but....

This is unbelievable!!! Early on in January or February Iran released 54,000 prisoners for the same reason and I said something like “I hope they don’t do this in the States...This is the US, that won’t happen...actually I take that back, they release sex offenders and violent criminals as we see on WS them free and reoffending all the time...”

I can’t believe this. This is such bad news. What can we do about this?? They’re already released!! Gahhhh...surely they can find a place for them, there is land and space and buildings...grrrrrr

This is a VERY BAD ripple effect happening here. We’ve got to stop this before more states do this...omg Km going to have a heart attack over this!!!! This is unacceptable!!!!!!!

Yeah that report might be the one that sends me over the edge. Omggggg. You guys!!!!!

Yeah I can’t even....

Breeeathe. Guys please, help, we have to stop this...we need to learn more about this...help please.... @Tricia .... can we get Mark Klaas to speak on this subject...I am DYING over here. Please...help. What can we do? We need to spread awareness about this subject. Can we get this going on WS Facebook for people to share?

Iirc Cuomo said there was an email on their govt site where people could write in...he said people call all night about stuff, “complaining about the bars closing”, etc.

I’m going to call the Governor and email everyone. We’ve got to get this out there. Transfer them to another prison, build a prison, do something!!!!! We can’t trade one danger for another!! When this is over we’re going to have more child rapists running around, this can not happen!!! Maybe we can devote a separate thread to discussing this, idk, we are websleuthers and to hear this news you might as well stab us in our guts!!

ETA: Complete meltdown over here.

Last edited:
Coronavirus patients who've recovered must keep social distancing, UK health minister says

ec234af1-fd3e-4427-9b40-7f0d0d55c2d0.jpg

Matt Hancock, British Health Secretary.

[...]

Hancock and Prime Minister Boris Johnson both tested positive for the virus last month.

“The advice is it’s highly likely that I’m now immune or have a very high level of immunity, but it’s not certain,” Hancock told BBC Radio on Friday. “And so I -- like everybody else who’s been through it -- am social distancing.”

[...]

“In a typical coronavirus -- one of the six existing coronaviruses -- immunity lasts a minimum of a year. And for some diseases can last up to a lifetime," he said. “But we don’t know that yet because this disease is only four months old.”

@margarita25 A separate thread to discuss this would be good. I have the same concerns about UK prisons. And where will this end? Will they start looking at people like Chris Watts, decide he’s unlikely to reoffend and off he goes? I know, I know that’s a bad example - but look at the type of offender already being released. :mad: It’s beyond appalling.

Almost 8% of UK National Health Service staff are off work sick

a83c39bd-da6f-4238-a850-542032401f13.jpg

... a line of ambulances stands outside the ExCel center, which is being turned into a 4,000-bed temporary hospital called NHS Nightingale to deal with coronavirus patients in London.

Nearly 8% of staff working for the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) are currently off sick, health minister Matt Hancock said in an interview with Sky News Friday.

The British government has been under intense pressure to provide more support to frontline medical workers as they struggle to deal with the coronavirus outbreak. Hancock said 5.7% of doctors were off work.

[...]

Thank you for posting this @PommyMommy This is another massive worry the number of hospital staff becoming sick and sadly dying all over the world. I hope and pray we don’t end up in a situation in any country where so many people are seriously ill and there aren’t enough staff to look after them.

A 36 year old nurse with no health problems died of coronavirus here in the U.K today. Our governments need to do everything humanly possible to protect our health workers. Nobody should go to work and never come home, it is totally unacceptable and inexcusable that this is happening.

193BDAD7-AEB0-4BC0-A84E-57DB23D07AEE.jpeg

Great-grandmother, 99, becomes oldest Briton to beat coronavirus as her family joke her recovery is down to diet of marmalade and biscuits

Great-grandmother Rita Reynolds fell ill last Wednesday, March 25 and, after she tested positive for the virus, the family were told to expect the worst as her condition worsened.

Rita, from Bramhall in Stockport, was kept comfortable by staff at Abbeyfield care home as end of life drugs were ordered.

But against all odds the near-centenarian fought back and yesterday (Tuesday) district nurses declared she had recovered

Bramhall great-grandmother, 99, becomes oldest Briton to beat coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

I’m so glad Rita has survived and recovered.

Yeah we are not supposed to panic. Well I wasn’t panicking until now!!

There is no way these monsters should be able to be released and it will be OVER MY DEAD BODY this happens in Colorado I’ll tell you that!!!

Seriously, we’ve got to spring into action and I mean FAST. Doesn’t matter if it’s Colorado, NY, any child rapist needs to stay where they belong, in prison!!!

I think each of us needs to write our congressmen, our governors, let them now this is a huge concern, let them know this can’t happen... we can do this. We’ve got to do something. I can’t just sit here and watch this happen. :( :(

This goes beyond civil rights or humanity, this is endangering innocent children and law abiding citizens like @Snoods said.

Yeah I can’t take it. It would be different if there was no other answer...but there has GOT to be another answer!

There is another answer to this problem and it is NOT letting child rapists out of prison!!!

@gitana1 , @Tricia , everyone, help, what can we do...

Last edited:
View attachment 241574

Great-grandmother, 99, becomes oldest Briton to beat coronavirus as her family joke her recovery is down to diet of marmalade and biscuits

Great-grandmother Rita Reynolds fell ill last Wednesday, March 25 and, after she tested positive for the virus, the family were told to expect the worst as her condition worsened.

Rita, from Bramhall in Stockport, was kept comfortable by staff at Abbeyfield care home as end of life drugs were ordered.

But against all odds the near-centenarian fought back and yesterday (Tuesday) district nurses declared she had recovered

Bramhall great-grandmother, 99, becomes oldest Briton to beat coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

I’m so glad Rita has survived and recovered.
Here's a similar story from Philadelphia, PA area. He's about to on his way home.

102-year-old Bensalem man tests negative, beating COVID-19

BENSALEM, Pennsylvania (WPVI) -- Angelo "Ralphie" Trotter is 102 years old. He's raised three children and watched four grandchildren grow up and get married.

But last month, he was diagnosed with the coronavirus.

His daughter Donna noticed the drastic and unexpected change.

"All of a sudden he kept jumping out of bed, (he) wouldn't stay in bed. (He was) very agitated and going into a seizure type thing and sweating. I took his temperature it was 104," she said.

She said they went straight to St. Mary Medical Center.

• It turns out they discovered he wasn't just fighting COVID-19.

"He was also battling a major UTI and then he had sepsis," said Donna Trotter,.

Donna said says he's also entered the early stages of dementia.

Spain reports another vast death toll, with 932 new fatalities

cac047ec-b733-4dd9-baa3-0f10ffd90439.jpg

Paramedics disinfect a stretcher outside the Burgos Hospital in northern Spain on April 2.

A further 932 people have died from coronavirus in Spain, the country's health ministry said on Friday, bringing the country's death toll closer to Italy's world-high total.

Friday's figures mean that 10,935 Covid-19 deaths have been recorded in Spain. It is the second-highest daily number since the pandemic began in Spain, but slightly smaller than the increase announced Thursday.

[...]

(Also posted in the Spain thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads