Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
11 min ago
There are at least 398,809 coronavirus cases in the United States, including 12,895 deaths

There are at least 398,809 cases of coronavirus in the United States, including at least 12,895 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally.

On Tuesday, 30,613 new cases and 1,909 deaths were reported, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins. According to the university, this is a record for the most new US coronavirus deaths added in a single day.

The total includes cases from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other US territories, as well as all repatriated cases. Wyoming is the only state not reporting a death from coronavirus.

Check out CNN’s map, which refreshes every 10 minutes.

RELATED
Tracking Covid-19

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1.4 million globally - CNN

MCLEAN, Va. and NEW YORK, N.Y. - Hilton (NYSE:HLT) and American Express (NYSE:AXP) today announced that the companies, in partnership with Hilton’s ownership community, will donate up to 1 million hotel room nights across the United States to frontline medical professionals leading the fight against COVID-19.

Beginning next week, Hilton and American Express will make rooms available without charge to doctors, nurses, EMTs, paramedics and other frontline medical staff who need a place to sleep, recharge or isolate from their families through the end of May.

Hilton is initially working with 10 associations who collectively represent more than 1 million healthcare workers to provide access to the program, designed to support individuals who would otherwise have to spend their own money on accommodations.

“During this crisis, we have seen so many examples of medical professionals working in the most challenging circumstances, sacrificing their own needs for the greater good. They truly are heroes,” said Hilton President and CEO, Christopher J. Nassetta. “We are honored to extend our Hilton hospitality to them during this difficult time.”

Hilton and American Express to Donate Up to 1 Million Rooms to Frontline Medical Professionals During COVID-19 Crisis

Nobody in the USA has gotten any of the promised money.
This is really bad.
I am fearful of angry people rioting. Especially in big cities.
No joke.
Where is the promised money?

Not getting the promised paltry amount of $1,200. per person to the American people, is a bad, bad, situation.
A Really, bad situation.
I don't know why, the promised money is not going out (at all). Not One Person has received this money that I know of.
But, WOW, we need someone to step up and tell America what the problem is.
They'll probably blame it all on computers.
Nobody with a hungry loved one is going to give a **** about computers.
Somehow, the USA needs to release money to it's citizens.
This is an emergency.
Forget protocol, unless America is ready for riots.
Get the promised $1,200. to the people right now!
Anyway you can.
Where is this Promised Money for the USA citizens?
It's a massive undertaking to get this money to millions upon millions of people. How fast did you expect them to do this?

Hi Bears. It depends where you are. Here the average is about 10 days out. Instacart has now moved to “first available” in my area which right now is ten days out. Before you had to sit there and hit refresh for 8 hours with the “no slots available” message.

I’ve been using Instacart for a long time well before this. Trust me when I tell you they are swamped and it is hit or miss. You can get lucky sometimes. Or not. It depends how many drivers they have, etc etc. Some say the store you pick makes a difference, idk. I’ve had to work VERY HARD to even get a slot. I feel horribly for some who may not be as technically savy.
This was about a week ago on Instacart order with a local grocery store. I ordered a lot, was planning to make spaghetti.

When shopping began, Instacart began to text me every minute or so.
Maria refunded tomato paste.
Maria refunded tomatoes.
Maria refunded onion.
Maria refunded green pepper.
Maria replaced organic ground beef.
I quickly texted her not to replace my beef with regular.
Maria texted okay.
Maria continued to text and refund almost everything I ordered. Sapporo Ichiban ramen I've been craving for, TP of course, Greek yogurt, spaghetti pasta....

I called Instacart customer service to see if my order can be cancelled. No live person available. Wait time 45 min.

I texted Maria to see if my order can be cancelled (politely). She said she is new and it was her first day. I felt bad, said ok, just deliver what you can get, Thank you so much anyway.

Next day I made what I call Parmesan Penne pasta, with olive oil, garlic, parsley, and parmesan cheese.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
Where's the money people have set aside in case of an emergency? The money they have saved for a rainy day? Use that until the free money that the government doesn't owe anyone arrives. Sheesh

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really bad.
No joke.

@KALI The President signed the bill on Friday March 27, less than two weeks ago. Rioting after less than two weeks? I really don’t think so.

It's a massive undertaking to get this money to millions upon millions of people. How fast did you expect them to do this?

Exactly! I can’t imagine the logistics of doing this kind of distribution.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

@KALI, again, it’s been less than two weeks since the President signed the bill. I have more confidence in the people who are needing this money than to think they’re going to riot and do bad things. No one is making excuses. It’s a huge undertaking to distribute this money and certainly can’t be done in the less than two weeks you’ve given the government. Calm down please.
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really bad.
No joke.

I think that the real problem is the completely overwhelmed and broken unemployment insurance benefits system for so many states. Unemployment is not necessarily meant to be user friendly and applicant oriented.

In Miami, they are passing out paper, applications to people.

In Nevada, there is an 8 hour wait to talk to someone. The queue is full for the entire day by 0900.

The people who are getting unemployment benefits already had previously open claims, and just reopened them. Everyone else... hit or miss. Mostly miss.

There is a VERY IMPORTANT segment from a WHO conference re: domestic violence. Let me grab that because it is MAJOR and FOR REAL. We are websleuthers and I thank Dr. Tedros SO MUCH for taking the time and effort to address the world about this. Will find and add as eta moo.

—-
Quick reference, more on the way:

Doc T:
Twitter

—-

“The World Health Organisation has warned that stay-at-home orders and quarantine measures taken to try to reduce the spread of the coronavirus pandemic will likely lead to an increase in domestic violence.

“Women in abusive relationships are more likely to be exposed to violence, as are their children, as family members spend more time in close contact, and families cope with additional stress and potential economic or job losses,” said WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

BBM:
Speaking to reporters Friday about the coronavirus pandemic, he called on countries to include services for addressing domestic violence in their COVID-19 response.

In France, the government has launched a number of measures to allow women to seek help while shopping for essential items.

French pharmacies are remaining open during the nationwide lockdown, and women are being urged to go to them for help so that a pharmacist can discreetly call the police.”
-much more at link

Women are using code words at pharmacies to escape domestic violence - CNN

—-

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 3 April 2020

“Sadly, there are reports from some countries of an increase in domestic violence since the COVID-19 outbreak began.

As people are asked to stay at home, the risk of intimate partner violence is likely to increase.

Women in abusive relationships are more likely to be exposed to violence, as are their children, as family members spend more time in close contact, and families cope with additional stress and potential economic or job losses.

Women may have less contact with family and friends who may provide support and protection from violence.

We call on countries to include services for addressing domestic violence as an essential service that must continue during the COVID-19 response.

If you are experiencing or at risk of domestic violence, speak to supportive family and friends, seek support from a hotline, or seek out local services for survivors.

Make a plan to protect yourself and your children any way you can. This could include having a neighbour, friend, relative, or shelter identified to go to should you need to leave the house immediately.

There is never any excuse for violence. We abhor all violence of all forms, at all times.”

Last edited:
This was about a week ago on Instacart order with a local grocery store. I ordered a lot, was planning to make spaghetti.

Maria refunded tomatoes.
Maria refunded onion.
Maria texted okay.
Maria continued to text and refund almost everything I ordered. Sapporo Ichiban ramen I've been craving for, TP of course, Greek yogurt, spaghetti pasta....

I called Instacart customer service to see if my order can be cancelled. No live person available. Wait time 45 min.

I texted Maria to see if my order can be cancelled (politely). She said she is new and it was her first day. I felt bad, said ok, just deliver what you can get, Thank you so much anyway.

Next day I made what I call Parmesan Penne pasta, with olive oil, garlic, parsley, and parmesan cheese.

This does not bode well for my first, quite large, Instacart order to be delivered tomorrow (ordered yesterday)! I hope that our small town Safeway won’t be as stripped as your store seems to be. This could get interesting!

Maria refunded tomatoes.
Maria refunded onion.
Maria texted okay.

Hahahaha! Let’s move this conversation over to the “grocery thread” for further discussion because boy I could tell you some funny recent Instacart stories!! Ha!

Congress originally said it would begin going out ( or Treasury said it) in about 3 weeks. Then the administration twisted some arms, or whatever, and it was announced checks would start going out in 2 weeks. I consider that to be mindbogglingly amazing.
In the meantime, many banks, renters, car loan payers, student loan payers, etc. are and will be able to defer payments if they've lost their income due to Covid, which is also amazing.

Congress originally said it would begin going out ( or Treasury said it) in about 3 weeks. Then the administration twisted some arms, or whatever, and it was announced checks would start going out in 2 weeks. I consider that to be mindbogglingly amazing.
In the meantime, many banks, renters, car loan payers, student loan payers, etc. are and will be able to defer payments if they've lost their income due to Covid, which is also amazing.

Imo this is a gift. I am so thankful they got this rolling. Whether or not it’s a drop in the bucket, most of us could really use this money right now. I feel very grateful and happy about this, not just for me but for everyone. People will eat. That’s a big concern of mine right now, distribution especially and I am waiting for the day the National Guard will get involved with this.

But yeah I have no reason at the moment to suspect for any reason that we won’t get these stimulus checks.

—-

This does not bode well for my first, quite large, Instacart order to be delivered tomorrow (ordered yesterday)! I hope that our small town Safeway won’t be as stripped as your store seems to be. This could get interesting!
I sincerely hope that you have a better experience. But I just realized that it is possible, since Maria was shopping for me on her first day ever, she just couldn't locate the items ordered in an unfamiliar store to her. Anyway, she was so sweet. Left one lone bag in front of my door, rang the bell, called me when she got back to her car to make sure I retrieved the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en