Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo this is a gift. I am so thankful they got this rolling. Whether or not it’s a drop in the bucket, most of us could really use this money right now. I feel very grateful and happy about this, not just for me but for everyone. People will eat. That’s a big concern of mine right now, distribution especially and I am waiting for the day the National Guard will get involved with this.

But yeah I have no reason at the moment to suspect for any reason that we won’t get these stimulus checks.

—-
I remember when it took weeks to get tax refund checks in the mail, which was normal way back when.. dating myself, I suppose.
I honestly don't think anyone is going to starve, and I know there are still church food pantries serving those in need, Meals on Wheels, and good neighbors, friends and relatives all helping each other out as needed.
Maybe I'm being a bit Pollyannish, but I feel less stressed out than I did a week or so ago. I do pray a lot :)

How China is using color-coded QR codes to control the spread of coronavirus

1f9e466a-91e6-46e2-8afe-c36b38798ea4.jpg

A passenger shows a green QR code on his phone to a security guard to indicate his health status at Wenzhou railway station in China on February 28.

In China, authorities are using technology to track who is likely to be healthy -- and who poses a risk.

Residents are each assigned a color-coded QR code on their phones -- and that color correlates to what they're able to do. In Wuhan, even now the lockdown is lifted, residents still need to produce a green QR code to leave their compounds. For those returning to work, they also need to produce a letter from their employer.

To get into places such as restaurants, people need to show that QR code -- and only people with a green code will gain entry.

But if your code is yellow or red, it means you've been flagged for some reason. If, for instance, you had been on a plane with a person infected with coronavirus, you would be flagged and your code might change color.

[...]

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1.4 million globally - CNN

Note: Video in the article about how the QR codes work.

The reality is people are dying out there. They aren't just numbers, but real human beings. I pray I don't lose any of my family or friends. I hope I can stay alive.

Thank You and deep Gratitude to all the people in the front lines. Who am I to complain when all I have to do is stay home to flatten the curve?

This nurse is so beautiful in her soul. Thank You so much to every health care person working the front lines.
Inside one nurse's 13-hour shift in the ICU hot zone

Trump says the US is "way under" any of the models -- and he wants to keep it that way

d94ddd8d-d79d-4641-93fb-da9db77b2d31.jpg

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters following a meeting of the coronavirus task force in the Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on April 7, in Washington.

As the United States hit another record for most deaths from coronavirus in a single day, President Donald Trump said the country was "way under" any coronavirus models.

[...]

On Tuesday morning, Surgeon General Jerome Adams appeared on the NBC Today show warning that the federal stockpiles of medical supplies are inadequate for dealing with this type of epidemic alone.

Excellent anecdotal story, much more detail at link.

Democratic state rep. explains why she opted for unproven COVID-19 treatment, not hospital

FLINT/DETROIT (WJRT) - (04/07/20) - Michigan State Representative Karen Whitsett (D-Detroit) was sick for weeks before she was officially diagnosed with COVID-19.

She had a relentless headache and what she described as an “uncomfortable” and “weird” throat. She didn’t have a fever...

...(she was subsequently tested and was positive for COVID19)...

...After one doctor denied her request for the drug (hydroxychloroquine), the Detroit Democrat turned to Dr. Mohammed Arsiwala. ... Arsiawala says his treatment protocol includes 12 pills of 200 mg of hydroxychloroquine over the course of five days. The protocol also includes the antibiotic Zithromax twice a day for five days. ...

...Whitsett says she started feeling better within two hours of taking the medicine...

"Men and women crying and thanking me for speaking out and putting people over politics,” Whitsett said."

A Navy hospital ship in New York City will take in more patients on ventilators overnight

39538dbf-1b02-400e-8aef-88b3edb2f2ef.jpg

The USNS Comfort passes the Statue of Liberty as it enters New York Harbor during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease in New York City on March 30.

[...]

“We have, I believe, around 10 ICU-level vented patients headed our way … from one of the local hospitals," Captain Patrick Amersbach of the United States Naval Ship (USNS) Comfort told CNN’s Don Lemon late Tuesday night.
Amersbach did not say whether those patients have coronavirus infections.

The Comfort originally was only going to accept non-Covid-19 patients, but that restriction was rescinded Monday night.

A crew member who has not been in contact with patients tested positive for Covid-19, but this will not affect the ability for the Comfort to receive patients, Amersbach said.

As a precaution, he says, the medical treatment areas of the Comfort are being isolated from the rest of the ship, and some crew members will be lodging in local hotel rooms instead of staying aboard throughout the day.

Read more here: Crewmember aboard Navy ship dispatched to NYC tests positive for coronavirus

Opinion: South Korea listened to the experts

06db228c-ac7a-423c-938f-fc2c651cb40d.jpeg

Medical staff wearing protective clothing take test samples for the coronavirus from a passenger at a virus testing booth outside Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul, on April 1.

Editor's note: Dr. Terence Kealey is an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute and a professor of clinical biochemistry at the University of Buckingham in the UK, where he served as vice chancellor until 2014. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his own.

South Korea, the US and the UK all reported their first Covid-19 cases around the same time: on January 20, January 21, and January 31, respectively. How things unfolded from there, unfortunately for the US and UK, has been strikingly different.

Today, South Korea is reporting fewer than 100 new cases a day, the UK is reporting around 4,000 new cases a day, and the US is reporting around 30,000. But while numbers in South Korea have fallen, in the US and UK they have been rising exponentially

Nonetheless, the great success story is South Korea, and we know how they did it: they tested.

[...]

Read the full opinion here.

Singapore has banned all social gatherings

8fc7aca0-8c39-4bfa-aec3-0fb22d8c1087.jpg

A man crosses an empty road in the Marina Bay area on April 7 in Singapore.
Singapore has banned all social gatherings as part of its latest restrictions to help combat Covid-19, according to a news release on the health ministry’s website.

This includes both public and private gatherings.

The rule, which applies to families and friends not living together, was passed by Parliament on Tuesday and imposed from Wednesday.

[...]

Jack Dorsey Vows to Donate $1 Billion to Fight the Coronavirus
Jack Dorsey, the chief executive of Twitter and Square, said on Tuesday that he planned to donate $1 billion, or just under a third of his total wealth, to relief programs related to the coronavirus, in one of the more significant efforts by a tech billionaire to fight the pandemic.

Mr. Dorsey said he would put 28 percent of his wealth, in the form of shares in his mobile payments company Square, into a limited liability company that he had created, called Start Small. Start Small would make grants to beneficiaries, he said, with the expenditures to be recorded in a publicly accessible Google document.

“Why now? The needs are increasingly urgent, and I want to see the impact in my lifetime,” Mr. Dorsey said in a series of tweets announcing his plans. “I hope this inspires others to do something similar.”

[...]

France

France's coronavirus death toll soared past 10,000 last night after hundreds more deaths were announced in hospitals and care homes.

The tally of fatal cases went up by 1,417, rising from 8,911 to 10,328, making France the fourth country after Italy, Spain and the US to have a five-figure death toll.

France has added thousands of deaths to the count in recent days after it started including partial data from nursing homes in its calculations.

Those care home deaths make up 3,237 of the total 10,238 (31 per cent), with 7,091 deaths recorded in hospitals.

France sees number of coronavirus deaths rise above 10,000 | Daily Mail Online

This news is extremely sad.

France

France's coronavirus death toll soared past 10,000 last night after hundreds more deaths were announced in hospitals and care homes.

The tally of fatal cases went up by 1,417, rising from 8,911 to 10,328, making France the fourth country after Italy, Spain and the US to have a five-figure death toll.

France has added thousands of deaths to the count in recent days after it started including partial data from nursing homes in its calculations.

Those care home deaths make up 3,237 of the total 10,238 (31 per cent), with 7,091 deaths recorded in hospitals.

France sees number of coronavirus deaths rise above 10,000 | Daily Mail Online

This news is extremely sad.
That is really really sad news. My heart goes out to the family and loved ones.
❤️
❤️
❤️

Jack Dorsey Vows to Donate $1 Billion to Fight the Coronavirus
Jack Dorsey, the chief executive of Twitter and Square, said on Tuesday that he planned to donate $1 billion, or just under a third of his total wealth, to relief programs related to the coronavirus, in one of the more significant efforts by a tech billionaire to fight the pandemic.

Mr. Dorsey said he would put 28 percent of his wealth, in the form of shares in his mobile payments company Square, into a limited liability company that he had created, called Start Small. Start Small would make grants to beneficiaries, he said, with the expenditures to be recorded in a publicly accessible Google document.

“Why now? The needs are increasingly urgent, and I want to see the impact in my lifetime,” Mr. Dorsey said in a series of tweets announcing his plans. “I hope this inspires others to do something similar.”

[...]
Very cool. I like his plan and his huge effort.

Just saw another great article, describing all of the people who are currently stepping up:

How Capitalism Is Helping US Defeat COVID-19

How Capitalism Is Helping US Defeat COVID-19 - Self-Reliance Central

In times of crisis, Americans don’t look just to the government to save the day.
...snip...
But right now, as our nation struggles to deal with the coronavirus, we’re seeing proof our American companies are stepping up and helping. Businesses, big and small, are trying to do their part to help the U.S. defeat COVID-19. Just consider these examples:

—MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell announced last week that 75% of his company’s production will be converted to making face masks.

AK Wet Works in Seabrook, Texas, a small business that makes industrial painting and coating products, is now using its specialty to sanitize public places and other businesses. “We actually came to the idea of, why can’t we take our blast pots and actually create a vapor that can be mixed with a disinfectant, so we can actually sterilize things around us,” operations manager Dennis Hotz told KTRK-TV, Houston’s ABC affiliate.

—The Young & Yonder distillery in Healdsburg, California, is now making hand sanitizer and giving it to customers who come in for to-go pickups. “The community has been incredible. Most people who came in also picked up a bottle or two of spirits,” said Sarah Opatz, who founded Young & Yonder with her husband in 2013, according to The Press Democrat newspaper of Santa, Rosa, California. “It’s kept our business alive and growing. … We just wanted everybody to stay clean. We had the supply and ingredients.”

—General Motors, Ford, and Tesla are ramping up production of much-needed ventilators.

Helen Raleigh at The Federalist compiled an excellent rundown of some of the other businesses that have stepped up during this crisis, including fashion companies that will switch over to making masks by the millions and drugstore chains, among them CVS and Walgreens, that are opening up mobile COVID-19 testing sites.

A coalition of CEOs launched the “Stop the Spread” initiative to organize businesses to address the specific needs of society during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Brooks Brothers, which normally makes suits and clothing, will produce masks and gowns. Flex Ltd., a supply chain and manufacturing company, is ramping up production of ventilators and protective equipment. Many other companies are joining in.

Parkdale Mills Inc. has joined efforts with a team of textile manufacturers to ramp up production of face masks and other similar materials.

“This is … a time of crisis that many people have not seen since the time of the world wars, Vietnam, you know, situations like that,” a Parkdale Mills spokesman said in an interview with The Daily Signal on Wednesday. “And [in] these times, there is a call to action. Who is going to step up and supply a need and do the right thing? We are trying to do the best we can to do what we can for the country.”

Perhaps just as importantly in this time of stress and deep uncertainty, innumerable businesses are doing what they can to give additional aid to employees, many of whom are facing the prospect of losing their jobs and salaries.

The owner of Federico’s Pizzeria & Restaurant in Belmar, New Jersey, is dealing with a lockdown in the state by opening up a $50,000 line of credit to continue paying employees.

“I just took this [line of credit] out to guarantee that my employees, no matter what, they’ll continue to be able to pay their bills. You’ve got to take care of your employees,” Morin said. “Without your employees, you don’t have a business.”

Smuttynose Brewing in Hampton, New Hampshire, has been forced to close and only do deliveries, but it’s decided to retain and pay all of its full- and part-time staff through the pandemic.

“We feel this was an extremely important decision,” Andrew Hart, Smuttynose director of hospitality, said, according to Seacoastonline. “There is a lot of uncertainty here, and we are in a unique and fortunate position where we are able to financially take care of our employees the best we can.”

There are numerous other stories like this around the country as businesses and employees are doing their best to weather the storm.

Excellent anecdotal story, much more detail at link.

Democratic state rep. explains why she opted for unproven COVID-19 treatment, not hospital

FLINT/DETROIT (WJRT) - (04/07/20) - Michigan State Representative Karen Whitsett (D-Detroit) was sick for weeks before she was officially diagnosed with COVID-19.

She had a relentless headache and what she described as an “uncomfortable” and “weird” throat. She didn’t have a fever...

...(she was subsequently tested and was positive for COVID19)...

...After one doctor denied her request for the drug (hydroxychloroquine), the Detroit Democrat turned to Dr. Mohammed Arsiwala. ... Arsiawala says his treatment protocol includes 12 pills of 200 mg of hydroxychloroquine over the course of five days. The protocol also includes the antibiotic Zithromax twice a day for five days. ...

...Whitsett says she started feeling better within two hours of taking the medicine...

"Men and women crying and thanking me for speaking out and putting people over politics,” Whitsett said."

The pain of a headache is unbearable to me, so if I had a "relentless headache" I would try just about anything to make it go away. Not to mention, adding a dry cough or a sore throat.

I read her CoVid-19 symptoms and cringed. She responded to the Hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax combo!!! :) Yes, I got shorted on my Rx refill, 14 pills instead of 100, but reading this true success story makes me so happy if she got some of my pills.

My experience with Hydroxychloroquine--
In the 90's I took 400 mg. a day for over six years. Doctors were more concerned with my eyes, and made me get regular eye exams. I don't remember ever being concerned about it affecting my heart. My RA started up again a few years ago, so I went back on it, but only take 200 mg. a day. This drug has helped me with no big side effects or drawbacks.

I know Dr. Oz and President Trump talk constantly about it and now there's hoarding, but maybe it will prove to be part of the miracle cure for some people with the CoVid virus. IMO, I tend to agree, it's been around for quite awhile and isn't known to have side effects.

"It is, however, a treatment for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis but because of hoarding some people do not have access to this critical medication."

"Arsiwala says there can be complications with long term use and high doses of the drug, but so far he has not had any complaints from his patients, including Rep. Whitsett."

Reinvention.

We have to reinvent ourselves in many ways.

And learn to adapt in such a way which is conducive to current demands.

—-

So where are we with those whole mask thing, boy oh boy. Looking for the mask thread to link.

The pain of a headache is unbearable to me, so if I had a "relentless headache" I would try just about anything to make it go away. Not to mention, adding a dry cough or a sore throat.

I read her CoVid-19 symptoms and cringed. She responded to the Hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax combo!!! :) Yes, I got shorted on my Rx refill, 14 pills instead of 100, but reading this true success story makes me so happy if she got some of my pills.

My experience with Hydroxychloroquine--
In the 90's I took 400 mg. a day for over six years. Doctors were more concerned with my eyes, and made me get regular eye exams. I don't remember ever being concerned about it affecting my heart. My RA started up again a few years ago, so I went back on it, but only take 200 mg. a day. This drug has helped me with no big side effects or drawbacks.

I know Dr. Oz and President Trump talk constantly about it and now there's hoarding, but maybe it will prove to be part of the miracle cure for some people with the CoVid virus. IMO, I tend to agree, it's been around for quite awhile and isn't known to have side effects.

"It is, however, a treatment for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis but because of hoarding some people do not have access to this critical medication."

"Arsiwala says there can be complications with long term use and high doses of the drug, but so far he has not had any complaints from his patients, including Rep. Whitsett."

CuriousMe,
This reveals your true nature---you are a very compassionate and loving soul. It truly is wonderful to see your unselfish response to this difficult situation you find yourself in. Thank You!
2764.png

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hal Willner, a music producer and longtime “Saturday Night Live” music supervisor, has died. He was 64.

Blake Zidell, a representative for Willner, said the producer died Tuesday. Zidell said Willner had symptoms consistent with those caused by the coronavirus, but he had not been diagnosed with the virus.

Willner had selected music for skits on “Saturday Night Live” since 1980. He produced albums for Lucinda Williams, Lou Reed and Marianne Faithfull, who is currently being treated for the coronavirus in a London hospital.

Hal Willner, longtime ‘Saturday Night Live’ staple, has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member