Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

Please continue discussion here.

No blatantly political posts.
Do not argue with or discuss other members.
Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts.

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If it is not your own post but you think it relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will do that for you.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

We are out of patience with posters who are ignoring forum guidelines about politicizing. Posting privileges will be removed for those members who continue to violate Tricia's instruction laid out in the above post, in part ...

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

World faces worst recession since Great Depression

The International Monetary Fund on Tuesday warned that the world faces its worst recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

In its new World Economic Outlook, the IMF now forecasts the global economy to shrink by 3% this year -- rather than expand by 3.3%, as previously projected in January -- as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The cumulative loss to global GDP over 2020 and 2021 from the crisis could be around $9 trillion.

"It is very likely that this year the global economy will experience its worst recession since the Great Depression, surpassing that seen during the global financial crisis a decade ago," IMF chief economist Gita Gopinath said at a press conference Tuesday. "The Great Lockdown, as one might call it, is projected to shrink global growth dramatically."

The IMF, an organization of 189 countries, projects global growth in 2021 to partially recover to 5.8%, but Gopinath cautioned that "the level of GDP will remain below the pre-virus trend, with considerable uncertainty about the strength of the rebound."

"Much worse growth outcomes are possible," she said, "and maybe even likely."

Death toll over 12,000 in UK

Positive cases top 15,000 in Africa

France extends nationwide lockdown till May 11

India extends nationwide lockdown through May 3

Austria and Italy reopen some shops while slowly easing lockdowns

Coronavirus economic updates: Worst recession since the Great Depression predicted

Last edited:
Ohio

COVID-19

Confirmed Cases
CDC Expanded Case Definition (Probable)
Total Cases
Number of Hospitalizations in Ohio
Confirmed Deaths
CDC Expanded Death Definition (Probable)
Total Deaths
Number of ICU Admissions
<1-101
Age Range
Median Age
48%*
Sex - Males
52%*
Sex - Females

In New Jersey, 8,185 individuals with confirmed or potential cases of COVID-19 were hospitalized as of 10 p.m. Tuesday night.

Of those hospitalized patients, 925 patients are in intensive care1, 126 are in critical care and 6,019 are in medical surgical beds.

The state is using 55.4% of its statewide ventilator capacity with 1,626 patients on ventilators.

There were 514 patients discharged in the last 24 hours

The New Jersey State Health Department reported 368 new positive cases of COVID-19 In Monmouth and Ocean counties. Tuesday, and 26 additional deaths as a result of complications from the disease, as the death toll in the two counties approached 300.

There have been 2,805 deaths related to coronavirus in New Jersey. Officials reported 365 new deaths Tuesday.

FDA approves COVID-19 saliva test developed at Rutgers

A new saliva test developed at Rutgers University that could dramatically alter the way the coronavirus is detected received federal emergency approval over the weekend, and officials expect to begin rolling it out as soon as Wednesday.

NJ coronavirus update: 2,805 deaths reported as cases rise to 68,824

Last edited:
A happy news story for you all :) I just checked and it's rising by about £10,000 a minute!

A 99-year-old war veteran has raised more than £3m for the NHS by aiming to walk 100 lengths of his back garden before his 100th birthday. Capt Tom Moore, from Keighley in Yorkshire, initially planned to raise £1,000 through the challenge. However, after launching his campaign on 8 April and raising £70,000 in just 24 hours, he extended his fundraiser and hit the £1m target on Tuesday morning.

“It’s almost unbelievable isn’t it?,” Moore told the BBC. “But when you think who it’s for, and they’re all so brave … I think they deserve every penny of it.”

War veteran, 99, raises £3m for NHS by walking lengths of back garden

Coronavirus: Old and obese 'at more risk' than cancer patients | Daily Mail Online

"Old and obese people are more likely to be hospitalised with the coronavirus than cancer or lung disease patients, research suggests.

Two New York University studies looking at 8,000 patients found being over 65 or having a BMI above 30 were the biggest risk factors for COVID-19 admissions.

In one paper, researchers found almost half (46 per cent) of all patients hospitalised with coronavirus were aged 65 or over.

The scientists concluded 'advanced age was by far the most important predictor of hospitalisation'.

It found that while age was the biggest risk factor, the health condition that was most strongly associated with serious illness was obesity. The report said: "The chronic condition with the strongest association with critical illness was obesity, with a substantially higher odds ratio than any cardiovascular or pulmonary disease."

A separate study found patients under 60 are twice as likely to need hospital care or ventilation if they were obese, making it the second biggest risk factor."

Harvard Researchers Say Some Social Distancing May Be Needed Into 2022

People around the world might need to practice some level of social distancing intermittently through 2022 to stop Covid-19 from surging anew and overwhelming hospital systems, a group of Harvard disease researchers said Tuesday.

Lifting social-distancing measures all at once could risk simply delaying the epidemic’s peak and potentially making it more severe, the scientists warned in an article published Tuesday in the journal Science.

Moving too fast? Fears of a second wave of coronavirus emerge as some countries relax restrictions. @JamesAALongman reports.

"Everyone is of course eager to get back to a normal life, but the fear and the possibility of second wave is very real. Just days after reopening Wuhan, China is now scrambling to contain an outbreak on it's northern border, its biggest rise there in six weeks.

Hundreds of new infections reported from returning Chinese Nationals. The town concerned is in lock down.

In Europe, strategies are diverging..."

video

Good Morning America on Twitter

Coronavirus: Old and obese 'at more risk' than cancer patients | Daily Mail Online

"Old and obese people are more likely to be hospitalised with the coronavirus than cancer or lung disease patients, research suggests.

Two New York University studies looking at 8,000 patients found being over 65 or having a BMI above 30 were the biggest risk factors for COVID-19 admissions.

In one paper, researchers found almost half (46 per cent) of all patients hospitalised with coronavirus were aged 65 or over.

The scientists concluded 'advanced age was by far the most important predictor of hospitalisation'.

It found that while age was the biggest risk factor, the health condition that was most strongly associated with serious illness was obesity. The report said: "The chronic condition with the strongest association with critical illness was obesity, with a substantially higher odds ratio than any cardiovascular or pulmonary disease."

A separate study found patients under 60 are twice as likely to need hospital care or ventilation if they were obese, making it the second biggest risk factor."

Thank you for the link.

Could it perhaps be because obesity leads to other serious medical conditions like heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes, etc? Or makes those conditions worse?

I'm in the elderly group along with my hubby, but neither of us are overweight.

In fact in my recent hospital stay I lost over 12 pounds in less than 4 days.

I'm trying to gain a little weight or at least back up to 117 pounds which has been around my average weight for decades now. Between 117 to 122.

Due to my back condition leaving me unsteady at times I fear losing my balance making me fall. I know it could easily shatter my hip especially at the weight I'm at now.

Its strange though for most in our area that has been hit hard by the virus more who have died have been much younger from 32 to 59. Many could have been obese though. As of yesterday we were up to 72 deaths at our local hospital. I'm sure we have lost more patients today. :(

Imoo

Just a little brain fart fyi- I had to take Dad out for his errands today. The only place I had to actually go inside was w-mart. I put on a fresh paper mask. I remembered, that when I worked healthcare at the nursing homes, as a CMA, we dated the newly applied bandages and pain patches. With our initials of course.
Anyway, I decided to date my paper mask, when I wear it. I leave them inside the car with the gloves and wipes, but those aren't dated.
Anyway.... to those who might want to do the same. At least I know the latest date it was worn, and if enough time allowed between wearings for the virus to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli