Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have hundreds of containers on the water from China right now. Ships are leaving daily. The only interruption I experienced was when they shut everything down after (during) Chinese New Year but once everyone was back in the office it was close to business as usual in Shenzhen.
What about the blank sailings?

If viruses like this comes from bats, what would happen if we cut down the bat population? I am sure they prey upon insects or something, that makes them necessary, but at what cost? Is there a point where it is worth it to declare war on bats to prevent a million+ people from dying?

I am sure a scientist is ready to pounce on me for this question!

I had wondered about this also and looked up the role that bats play in nature.

Some quick references, there is a lot of reference available online on the subject:

“Bats play an important role in many environments around the world. Some plants depend partly or wholly on bats to pollinate their flowers or spread their seeds, while other bats also help control pests by eating insects.”
Why bats matter - About Bats - Bat Conservation Trust

—-

“If insect populations exploded due to loss of bats, the estimated monetary damage to crops was estimated to be $74/acre for the US by Boyles et al (2011), meaning global loss of batsover 378 million acres of farmland globally could cost close to $273 billion (fao.org).Jun 29, 2016”
What would happen if bats went extinct? | BioDiverse Perspectives

—-

“Do we really need bats?
By fulfilling their ecological roles, batspromote biodiversity and support the health of their ecosystems. ... For example, bats serve as major pollinators of many types of cacti that open their flowers only at night, when bats are active. In addition, bats eat copious quantities of insects and other arthropods.Oct 31, 2012”
The Night Life: Why We Need Bats All the Time--Not Just on ...

—-

“Did you know that bats are very helpful to humans? Bats eat lots of insects. ... Farmers like bats because they can use fewer pesticides on their crops, which save the farmers lots of money. In the tropics, fruit and nectar eating bats are important for dispersing seeds and pollinating flowers.Oct 20, 2009”
Bats | Ask A Biologist - Arizona State University

—-

“Bat guano is a suitable fertilizer for plants and lawns, making them healthy and green. It can be used as a natural fungicide and controls nematodes in the soil as well. In addition, bat guanomakes an acceptable compost activator, speeding up the decomposition process.Aug 21, 2019”
Uses For Bat Dung (or Bat Guano) In The Garden

—-

Now with that being said, re: bat guano:

Last year I went through a lot of trouble to find and buy the perfect organic garden soil. The one I finally chose had excellent reviews and sounded like exactly what I was wanting so I purchased it.

Well, upon a deeper review of the ingredients, I noticed that there was a word “guano” listed in the ingredients and I didn’t know what it was.

I googled it and low and behold learned it was bat dung. I freaked. I had already bought masks to wear while planting (which is the only reason I was able to have masks early on, because I had read about fungal meningitis being spread through soil and had bought a box of CURAD antiviral masks last year).

So, yeah, I’m not a fan of handling bat excrement while I’m gardening, that’s for sure.

Last edited:
TY. I will have to check what happens in EU and UK. Years ago we would have day old chicks sent to us which we would raise as egg laying females and the males would be raised for the Christmas market. So I had never heard about this. It would seem right for the male birds to be raised for food but that hasn't happened it seems. But this year US is stopping that process due to internet pressure according to the article. So a success story in the end.

China has not let any ships, that I know of, leave for anyplace but Hong Kong, Taiwan and Australia.

Maybe also South Korea, not sure.

Hi, I’m behind in the conversation just wanted to say I know a doctor who said he ordered some important medical items from China.

He said it’s been sitting in customs and a whole bunch of money is needed to retrieve them, something like that moo. I don’t know what the details are, etc., but he said there is a huge problem with getting his stuff from China.

Question please of others. I've seen this situation, but cannot seem to locate the Q&A which was discussed on thread.

Family member spouse passed in February. Family member and spouse did joint tax filing in US last year. Surviving family member just received, erroneously, $2,400 vs. $1,200 through direct deposit. Family member ONLY submitted for their self, but IRS sent for both.

What should be done?

IIRC, there was talk of nothing to do as the "rule/law?" said that all that filed last year would receive, and didn't outline if they were deceased, so it could be kept. But I would think they have fixed that loophole and have rewritten as IRS and SS databases aren't shared and this was unexpected issue?

Does anyone here have information, experience, or link as to what one should do if they received monies for someone who is deceased?

TIA very much if you can assist as this is always my go to place for correct information on this fast moving and changing environment.

Question please of others. I've seen this situation, but cannot seem to locate the Q&A which was discussed on thread.

Family member spouse passed in February. Family member and spouse did joint tax filing in US last year. Surviving family member just received, erroneously, $2,400 vs. $1,200 through direct deposit. Family member ONLY submitted for their self, but IRS sent for both.

What should be done?

IIRC, there was talk of nothing to do as the "rule/law?" said that all that filed last year would receive, and didn't outline if they were deceased, so it could be kept. But I would think they have fixed that loophole and have rewritten as IRS and SS databases aren't shared and this was unexpected issue?

Does anyone here have information, experience, or link as to what one should do if they received monies for someone who is deceased?

TIA very much if you can assist as this is always my go to place for correct information on this fast moving and changing environment.
I personally would pay it into the deceased's estate and use it for funeral or estate expenses. Presumably they paid their dues when they were alive. If they want it back they will surely ask for it back and then I would pay it back at £5 per month.

Clearly not associated with anyone at WHO....we did this all by ourselves....travel bans of one country are not effective.....now had we shut down all air travel, we might have made some progress.
-----------------------------
"Dr. Gonzalez-Reiche and her colleagues found that these viruses were practically identical to viruses found around Europe. They cannot say on what particular flight a particular virus arrived in New York. But they write that the viruses reveal “a period of untracked global transmission between late January to mid-February.”

So far, the Mount Sinai researchers have identified seven separate lineages of viruses that entered New York and began circulating. “We will probably find more,” Dr. van Bakel said.

The coronavirus genomes are also revealing hints of early cross-country travel.

Dr. van Bakel and his colleagues found one New York virus that was identical to one of the Washington viruses found by Dr. Bedford and his colleagues. In a separate study, researchers at Yale found another Washington-related virus. Combined, the two studies hint that the coronavirus has been moving from coast to coast for several weeks.

Most New York Coronavirus Cases Came From Europe, Genomes Show
WHO shows only 1 case, the first one, in US on 22 Jan in Washington state and that case was from Wuhan.

Flightradar24: Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map

I am wondering if they will show up on this flight tracker. Just look at all the aircraft over NY and NJ right now. I notice that helicopters, light aircraft and even hot air balloons show up on here. You can click to enlarge the map or go anywhere in the world to see the Air Traffic. Clicking on a particular aircraft gives flight number and details.
Thank you! Now I know the police helicopter is the one flying near us!

I personally would pay it into the deceased's estate and use it for funeral or estate expenses. Presumably they paid their dues when they were alive. If they want it back they will surely ask for it back and then I would pay it back at £5 per month.
I would leave it in the joint account until they ask for it back - if probate wasn't opened for the decedent there is no "estate" account IMO. We are required to have a certified copy of the Letters of Administration issued by the Probate Judge for the County here in order to open an estate bank account. and if it's in the joint account it can just stay there without creating the need for probate - eventually the IRS will want it back IMO and it can sit there until they figure out how to get it back from you.
JMO

Coronavirus Tax Relief and Economic Impact Payments | Internal Revenue Service

Today, the screen was different for me - I was allowed to enter my last federal tax return information and submit my ACH information and the screen said I would get the stimulus direct deposited. Will post when I get it.

ETA: I just logged back in and now it says they will update the screen with the payment date of the direct deposit !!!

It is a beautiful day today, a perfect day to see the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds and the U.S. Navy Blue Angels flyovers, to salute first responders and hospital workers working on the front lines of the coronavirus outbreak.

New York City, Newark Trenton, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

7KXGFWQKUVEXTDL2WFL5DU7AHE.jpg

My husband works for the DoD, when my kids were young we took them to every air show when it was Lakehurst Naval Air Warefare Center. So cool

Here is the schedule/dates 2020 to see the air show across the country

U.S. Navy Blue Angels | Show Information

Video of the pilots. The U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels and the the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds were making final preparations on Tuesday morning hours. In full uniforms and mask convening in a building and chatting briefly before walking onto a runway to waiting planes to a round of applause.

Watch Blue Angels, Thunderbirds pilots gear up for tribute flights over N.J., N.Y. today

Video 7: 00 they come into view

Last edited:
Early Iowa news today:
Iowa tells workers to return to jobs or lose their unemployment benefits, with exceptions
Unemployment benefits available for some who refuse to work coronavirus-related reasons
1,346 test positive for virus in county IMO-as of today before numbers come out from IDPH, because of this county releasing their own daily numbers, the total of confirmed cases is off by at least 500 in Black Hawk county alone! ETA-IDPH has Black Hawk county as having 844 confirmed cases as of April 26 at 10:00 a.m. so what IDPH releases today will be current IMO as of April 27 at 10:00 a.m. Black Hawk should also be releasing their new numbers today around noon. The 1,346 is current as of yesterday at around noon. Iowa COVID-19 Information
Black Hawk County Health Department | COVID-19 Response

I am hoping that we see some states set a precedent and include exceptions for people who don't return to work as they have a medical letter stating that they are in a high-risk group. JMO.

Because travel bans with only one country doesn't work, as we have found out the hard way.
See WHO bulletin below on travel bans.

As well, as agreed by member states of the WHO, one way travel bans are not allowed without member states agreeing. The US forged ahead without agreement by member states.
There are 2 bodies of the WHO: member states who vote on the rules and then a technical side than manages on the ground activities, vaccine and drug development, procedures, training etc.

A cover-up is defined as "an attempt to prevent people's discovering the truth about a serious mistake or crime."

In this case, pure nonsense....post 678 on this thread....

WHO visited China on January 20th and 21st.
"On 20-21 January 2020, a World Health Organization (WHO) delegation conducted a field visit to Wuhan to learn about the response to 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCOV). The mission was part of the on-going close collaboration between WHO and Chinese national, provincial, and Wuhan health authorities in responding to 2019-nCoV.
The delegation visited the Wuhan Tianhe Airport, Zhongnan hospital, Hubei provincial CDC, including the BSL3 laboratory in China’s Center for Disease Control (CDC). The delegation observed and discussed active surveillance processes, temperature screening at the airport, laboratory facilities, infection prevention and control measures at the hospital and its associated fever clinics, and the deployment of the rRT-PCR test kit to detect the virus."
Mission summary: WHO Field Visit to Wuhan, China 20-21 January 2020

Jan 3: the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Robert Redfield, received a call from his Chinese counterpart with an official warning. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, was alerted to the virus around the same time.

Intelligence reports warned about a pandemic in January. Trump reportedly ignored them.

Warnings Ignored: A Timeline of Trump’s COVID-19 Response - The Bulwark

Trump’s pandemic response was hindered by missed opportunities, ignored warnings

Jan 12: China submitted genome sequence for COVID-19 to WHO.

AP report on China’s ‘delayed’ epidemic response conveniently passes blame - Global Times

WHO | Effectiveness of travel restrictions in the rapid containment of human influenza: a systematic review
It doesn’t look like WHO visited the wet markets either.

Situation report #1 gives a good timeline of events.

Also for anyone looking for a good read, go to thread 1.
It started on January 17. You will get a sense of how fast it became serious to those on the board. Anyone who claims "I didn't know" is pure nonsense.

Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

Thank you for that reminder, Henry. It is somewhat surreal to re-read the earliest posts, but it good to let that firm history sink in

I know it sunk in for me, because I went back to see when I did buy a couple of N-95 masks--third week of January.

Indiana governor plans to lift stay-at-home order Friday despite the fact that COVID cases have not yet peaked. A new high in COVID cases was announced yesterday.

Online conversation "with Dr. Gudrun Aspelund, Head Physician at Centre for Health Security and Communicable Disease Control at the Directorate of Health in Iceland, regarding the nation’s response to the coronavirus. With ASF President Edward Gallagher as moderator, Dr. Aspelund discussed measures that Iceland has taken to prevent the spread of virus, as well as research and findings that impact the broader international response."

The video conversation was hosted by Scandinavia House, which is an established and respected arts/cultural/educational center in NYC. It is not a political body, if anyone is wondering.

bbm

LOL @Tillicum , I went through the same scenario on Friday! I had to go there as I was looking for a onesie for my puppy who recently had surgery...not many places open to get that (Target didn’t have her size...btw much different there as they wipe carts as you come in & wipe as each person leaves self pay, almost everyone had masks on too!). When I left Walmart, I slathered in hand sanitizer in my car. When I got home I jumped in the shower then disinfected my car. We have over 1,300 cases in my county in Fl.

That is a high county number? Where are you.? I am in Nassau but we only have 50. However, a solid third of the cars have Georgia plates.

I had wondered about this also and looked up the role that bats play in nature.

Some quick references, there is a lot of reference available online on the subject:

“Bats play an important role in many environments around the world. Some plants depend partly or wholly on bats to pollinate their flowers or spread their seeds, while other bats also help control pests by eating insects.”
Why bats matter - About Bats - Bat Conservation Trust

So even for general gardening/planting you are wearing a mask? If you don't mind, could you tell me more about your rationale... tia
—-

“If insect populations exploded due to loss of bats, the estimated monetary damage to crops was estimated to be $74/acre for the US by Boyles et al (2011), meaning global loss of batsover 378 million acres of farmland globally could cost close to $273 billion (fao.org).Jun 29, 2016”
What would happen if bats went extinct? | BioDiverse Perspectives

—-

“Do we really need bats?
By fulfilling their ecological roles, batspromote biodiversity and support the health of their ecosystems. ... For example, bats serve as major pollinators of many types of cacti that open their flowers only at night, when bats are active. In addition, bats eat copious quantities of insects and other arthropods.Oct 31, 2012”
The Night Life: Why We Need Bats All the Time--Not Just on ...

—-

“Did you know that bats are very helpful to humans? Bats eat lots of insects. ... Farmers like bats because they can use fewer pesticides on their crops, which save the farmers lots of money. In the tropics, fruit and nectar eating bats are important for dispersing seeds and pollinating flowers.Oct 20, 2009”
Bats | Ask A Biologist - Arizona State University

—-

“Bat guano is a suitable fertilizer for plants and lawns, making them healthy and green. It can be used as a natural fungicide and controls nematodes in the soil as well. In addition, bat guanomakes an acceptable compost activator, speeding up the decomposition process.Aug 21, 2019”
Uses For Bat Dung (or Bat Guano) In The Garden

—-

Now with that being said, re: bat guano:

Last year I went through a lot of trouble to find and buy the perfect organic garden soil. The one I finally chose had excellent reviews and sounded like exactly what I was wanting so I purchased it.

Well, upon a deeper review of the ingredients, I noticed that there was a word “guano” listed in the ingredients and I didn’t know what it was.

I googled it and low and behold learned it was bat dung. I freaked. I had already bought masks to wear while planting (which is the only reason I was able to have masks early on, because I had read about fungal meningitis being spread through soil and had bought a box of CURAD antiviral masks last year).

So, yeah, I’m not a fan of handling bat excrement while I’m gardening, that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska