Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a beautiful day today, a perfect day to see the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds and the U.S. Navy Blue Angels flyovers, to salute first responders and hospital workers working on the front lines of the coronavirus outbreak.

New York City, Newark Trenton, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

7KXGFWQKUVEXTDL2WFL5DU7AHE.jpg

My husband works for the DoD, when my kids were young we took them to every air show when it was Lakehurst Naval Air Warefare Center. So cool

Here is the schedule/dates 2020 to see the air show across the country

U.S. Navy Blue Angels | Show Information

Video of the pilots. The U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels and the the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds were making final preparations on Tuesday morning hours. In full uniforms and mask convening in a building and chatting briefly before walking onto a runway to waiting planes to a round of applause.

Watch Blue Angels, Thunderbirds pilots gear up for tribute flights over N.J., N.Y. today

Video 7: 00 they come into view
I saw it overhead. :)

Coronavirus Tax Relief and Economic Impact Payments | Internal Revenue Service

Today, the screen was different for me - I was allowed to enter my last federal tax return information and submit my ACH information and the screen said I would get the stimulus direct deposited. Will post when I get it.

ETA: I just logged back in and now it says they will update the screen with the payment date of the direct deposit !!!
My screen was different yesterday. Husband entered our bank account and routing numbers only to report that info doesn’t match. I’ve had the same checking account for 50 years.

France will begin to ease lockdown restrictions on May 11, after the country's prime minister said they will have enough masks to meet the need.

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said Tuesday:

“We are proposing a very gradual reopening of kindergartens and elementary schools from May 11, everywhere on the territory and on a voluntary basis. In a second step, we can consider reopening the colleges (intermediary schools), starting with 6th and 7th grade (11-12 year-olds). We will make a decision in early June for high schools.”
After an initial easing of lockdown measures on May 11, there will be a second monitoring phase from May 11 to June 2, Philippe added. France will make a decision on the opening of bars, cafes and restaurants at the end of May.

The prime minister said there are three strategies to fight the crisis: Protect, test and isolate.

“We have to progress with prudence," Philippe said. “Confinement was an efficient instrument,” adding that confinement "prevented 62,000 deaths" in the country.

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world

I had a man show up in 1993 for our life insurance policy. He drew blood because we had to prove we were not HIV+ to have the policy go into effect. Definitely not weird at the time!
Moo

Well yes, I also had blood taken from home for life insurance back in the 90’s. The difference is that I knew they were coming.

Thank you for that reminder, Henry. It is somewhat surreal to re-read the earliest posts, but it good to let that firm history sink in

I know it sunk in for me, because I went back to see when I did buy a couple of N-95 masks--third week of January.
Me too.....I was building stock for food throughout February and also buying my Paramedic husband N99 masks and other gear since they had no coveralls and were assigned 1 N95.

It truly impacts my lack of tolerance for "we didn't know" rhetoric.....if all of us caught on so early then why.....

Medical director of major NY hospital, age 49, takes her own life. Family says her job "killed her."

Top NYC coronavirus doctor takes her own life

Reopening the economies of some states increases projected CoVid deaths in the US by a projected 14,000:

Model predicts higher death toll in US amid states reopening

New anti-viral coating can protect surfaces for 90 days:

HK scientists say new antiviral coating can protect surfaces for 90 days

^This is the latest in a series of innovations in Asia (this one is from Hong Kong) that increase safety of ventilation and other systems. Silicon coatings are used in new, large buildings in China (and perhaps Germany - I'm still trying to confirm). At any rate, "sick building syndrome" needs a cure and this innovation from Hong Kong is on the right track - but when I consider the expensive of retrofitting buildings in the US, I'm not optimistic it will get done.

~15% of New Yorkers tested have antibodies for CV.

Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Phase II Results of Antibody Testing Study Show 14.9% of Population Has COVID-19 Antibodies

^No serological studies are perfect, but this one is as well done as they're going to get for a while. Many reasons why the antibody (Ab) testing is imperfect. Some people have antibodies below the threshold level of testing. No one knows what that means for them as an individual, but these studies aren't done primarily to aid individuals in knowing their status - they are done to let doctors and public health officials gain important information. There are likely both false positives and false negatives, but the scientists I've seen comment on that say the two may cancel each other out - and that the 15% is the best they have right now, for New York. Further, it's not clear at all from the study whether this is just for CV19. The tests may detect any antibodies to any CV. The good news there is that people who already have antibodies to another form of CV may experience a milder course. All of the people in this study were healthy people found out and about in NY, they did not think they were sick or that they'd had CoVid19.

If this 15% figure is true, then even in NYC, they are a long way away from herd immunity and well into a phase of community transmission. Some asymptomatic people are known to shed virus for up to 60 days (that's an extreme outlier, but I think it's fair to say that 3-4 weeks is not uncommon). We don't know whether the asymptomatic shed as much virus as someone who has a febrile infection, but they do shed it.

Then, there's more research on the issue of how long immunity lasts, once one develops antibodies. I'll try and post more articles later, but it seems to me that 98% of people with antibodies (in China) have remained symptom free and not reinfected or reactivated - and it's now been a couple of months of study for some cohorts.

We simply don't know how long the immunity lasts, but I think that the previously-infected will have a much more benign course of illness, if they do get it again. More later on the disturbing information coming from UK - about possible CoVid-related infections in children (they may be infections secondary to CoVid, not known yet).

Care home coronavirus deaths rising rapidly

I am trying to work out the total care home deaths that have not yet been added to UK figure. This article is just a bit confusing. See what you think.

"A third of all coronavirus deaths in England and Wales are now happening in care homes, figures show.

Office for National Statistics data showed there were 2,000 coronavirus care home deaths in the week ending 17 April, double the previous week.

It brings the total number of deaths in care homes linked to the virus since the start of the pandemic to 3,096.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said testing will be expanded to all care home residents and staff in England.

This includes those who do not have symptoms, Mr Hancock told Tuesday's daily coronavirus briefing.

"Building on successful pilots, we will be rolling out testing of asymptomatic residents and staff in care homes in England, and to patients and staff in the NHS," Mr Hancock said.

All those over 65 and people who must leave home for work will also be able to get a test if they are displaying symptoms.

The health secretary said the government would include the number of deaths in care homes and the community in its daily figures, in an effort to "bring as much transparency as possible" to the data.

_112001533_optimised-cv_deaths_place_stacked_28apr-nc.png

Projections for care home deaths up to 24 April suggest the numbers have continued to rise.

In comparison, coronavirus deaths in hospitals across the UK, which have reached 21,678 - a rise of 586 from the day before - have started falling after peaking on 8 April.

Another 630 deaths in care homes in Northern Ireland and Scotland have been linked with coronavirus up until mid April.

Nearly half of coronavirus deaths in those countries are now in care homes.

'True front line'
Mike Padgham, of the Independent Care Group, which represents care homes, said they were now the "true front line" in the fight against coronavirus.

He said: "It is taking a terrible toll. These are our loved ones - mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and friends who have been taken from us early."

Asked at the coronavirus briefing whether care homes were now the government's priority in dealing with the disease, Mr Hancock said: "Care homes have been a top priority right from the start.

"We've strengthened the rules around what happens in care homes and tightened infection control, also making testing available throughout the care sector."

_112014383_mediaitem112014382.jpg
Image copyrightAFP/GETTY IMAGES
Image captionHealth Secretary Matt Hancock said care homes had been a "top priority right from the start"
Prof John Newton, co-ordinator of the national testing effort, addressing the spread of the virus in care homes, said: "We've done some intensive studies of infection in care homes.

"The presence of symptoms was not really a good marker in the care home setting, both among residents and staff, for the presence of the virus.

"There were significant numbers who were asymptomatic who had the virus and so we have massively increased the amount of testing available."

A key criticism of the government's approach has been the lack of protective equipment for staff and testing for staff and residents.

It was only in the middle of April that the government said all residents showing symptoms could be tested, while the Army is now helping to distribute protective kit.

But Downing Street insisted it had acted to prevent the spread of coronavirus within care homes in the early stages of the pandemic, including guidance issued banning visitors.

The prime minister's official spokesman said: "We want to do all we can to support those living and working in care homes at what we accept is an enormously difficult time." "

So does this mean UK figure is really 21678 plus 3096 ?

So ie 24,774 now?

Last edited:
Me too.....I was building stock for food throughout February and also buying my Paramedic husband N99 masks and other gear since they had no coveralls and were assigned 1 N95.

It truly impacts my lack of tolerance for "we didn't know" rhetoric.....if all of us caught on so early then why.....

Apparently, some people still don't know. Sigh.

Medical director of major NY hospital, age 49, takes her own life. Family says her job "killed her."

Top NYC coronavirus doctor takes her own life

Reopening the economies of some states increases projected CoVid deaths in the US by a projected 14,000:

Model predicts higher death toll in US amid states reopening

New anti-viral coating can protect surfaces for 90 days:

HK scientists say new antiviral coating can protect surfaces for 90 days

^This is the latest in a series of innovations in Asia (this one is from Hong Kong) that increase safety of ventilation and other systems. Silicon coatings are used in new, large buildings in China (and perhaps Germany - I'm still trying to confirm). At any rate, "sick building syndrome" needs a cure and this innovation from Hong Kong is on the right track - but when I consider the expensive of retrofitting buildings in the US, I'm not optimistic it will get done.

~15% of New Yorkers tested have antibodies for CV.

Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Phase II Results of Antibody Testing Study Show 14.9% of Population Has COVID-19 Antibodies

^No serological studies are perfect, but this one is as well done as they're going to get for a while. Many reasons why the antibody (Ab) testing is imperfect. Some people have antibodies below the threshold level of testing. No one knows what that means for them as an individual, but these studies aren't done primarily to aid individuals in knowing their status - they are done to let doctors and public health officials gain important information. There are likely both false positives and false negatives, but the scientists I've seen comment on that say the two may cancel each other out - and that the 15% is the best they have right now, for New York. Further, it's not clear at all from the study whether this is just for CV19. The tests may detect any antibodies to any CV. The good news there is that people who already have antibodies to another form of CV may experience a milder course. All of the people in this study were healthy people found out and about in NY, they did not think they were sick or that they'd had CoVid19.

If this 15% figure is true, then even in NYC, they are a long way away from herd immunity and well into a phase of community transmission. Some asymptomatic people are known to shed virus for up to 60 days (that's an extreme outlier, but I think it's fair to say that 3-4 weeks is not uncommon). We don't know whether the asymptomatic shed as much virus as someone who has a febrile infection, but they do shed it.

Then, there's more research on the issue of how long immunity lasts, once one develops antibodies. I'll try and post more articles later, but it seems to me that 98% of people with antibodies (in China) have remained symptom free and not reinfected or reactivated - and it's now been a couple of months of study for some cohorts.

We simply don't know how long the immunity lasts, but I think that the previously-infected will have a much more benign course of illness, if they do get it again. More later on the disturbing information coming from UK - about possible CoVid-related infections in children (they may be infections secondary to CoVid, not known yet).
This last bit.
"More later on the disturbing information coming from UK - about possible CoVid-related infections in children (they may be infections secondary to CoVid, not known "

Link would be appreciated before posting such.

ETA maybe this is what you are referring to but it seems very rare.

At least 12 UK children have needed intensive care due to illness linked to Covid-19

"Prof Russell Viner, the president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, sought to reassure parents that children are generally unlikely to become very unwell due to Covid-19.

“We already know that a very small number of children can become severely ill with Covid-19 but this is very rare. Evidence from throughout the world shows us that children appear to be the part of the population least affected by this infection.

“New diseases may present in ways that surprise us, and clinicians need to be made aware of any emerging evidence of particular symptoms or of underlying conditions which could make a patient more vulnerable to the virus. However, our advice remains the same: parents should be reassured that children are unlikely to be seriously ill with Covid-19, but if they are concerned about their children’s health for any reason they should seek help from a health professional.” "

Last edited:
This flyover is not INSTEAD of PPE. The PPE issue is another matter altogether and is more about access and availability than it is a money issue right now.
And the money came from different budgets - the money spent on the flyover couldn't have been spent on PPE if we wish it could have been.

I understand people might not think it was a good idea to have a flyover right now as the money spent might look insensitive, but it isn't money that would go to the virus issue anyway.

jmo

And the money came from different budgets - the money spent on the flyover couldn't have been spent on PPE if we wish it could have been.

I understand people might not think it was a good idea to have a flyover right now as the money spent might look insensitive, but it isn't money that would go to the virus issue anyway.

jmo

Over the weekend, Italy had a beautiful flyover as it celebrated some national holiday, and people were on their balconies, waiving their country's flag.

Indiana governor plans to lift stay-at-home order Friday despite the fact that COVID cases have not yet peaked. A new high in COVID cases was announced yesterday.

I have mixed emotions. I went back to work last week. So far, so good. I've been extremely agitated because our mayor is one of those starting to go beyond the pale here with power issues. Hopefully we avoid a full blown uprising. Jmo

jmo

Just another one of my opinions.

A flyover just screams H O P E

I'll take it. :)

Iowa numbers today: April 28: Over 500 new cases of COVID-19 in Iowa, 9 additional deaths reported 508 news cases confirmed today and 9 more have passed away. We now have a total of 6,376 confirmed cases and 136 have passed away. 2,164 have recovered (34% IMO) and 98% of the new confirmed cases today come from the 22 counties that are not having restrictions lifted on May 1st.
ETA-There is also this: University of Iowa researchers warn 'a second wave of infections is likely' if COVID-19 mitigation efforts are lifted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member