Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I understand it (going by what they say about our newly-released contact tracing app) is that the app records the phone numbers of everyone within 1½ metres (about 5 feet) of yourself - if they also have the app, which communicates by bluetooth.

The info gets recorded 'on the cloud' and is only retrieved if a medical professional wants to help you trace everyone you have been in contact with - should you contract the virus. They say that the medical profession is the only one who will have access to this data.
What if you don't have bluetooth on? I never have it on because it drains battery and I live in a real remote area. The only other person within bluetooth range is my OH and he doesn't have a smartphone.

From the link:

"When they get this ankle bracelet off of me so I can minister to my people, we will unjam their phone lines," Spell told Business Insider on Thursday. "Those are Christians nationwide who realize this is not about a virus, it's about an attack on our civil and religious liberties. Whenever you take my religious freedoms from me, the next thing to go is the freedom of your breath."
BBM

I have not felt that my religious freedom and liberties are attacked or restricted during the pandemic. There are other ways to gather such as Zoom and my congregation hasn’t missed a beat. But we have no one with a huge ego who needs a live audience so they will fill the collection plate (and turn over their stimulus checks). Watch him preach! Spell would not be able to function without an audience. But the restriction on preaching without a live audience is not an attack on religion. He’s twisting public health restrictions on gatherings into an attack on religion for his own benefit. He obviously cares little for his flock. He might want to review the words of Jesus at Matthew 23 and make some adjustments.

JMO

Louisiana pastor Tony Spell's followers jammed police phone lines to protest his arrest. He says it'll keep happening until cops 'get this ankle bracelet off of me.'

My cousin ordered online for restaurant curbside and had to go in after waiting for 20 minutes - there was a guy at the second set of doors just standing against the door (to hold it open I guess) and people inside lined up.

Two ladies at the register - told him they were understaffed and not doing curbside.

He mentioned there was a way to bring people in from another side entrance, properly social distance and the “doorman” could move so people wouldn’t have to run up against him to enter/exit.

They said they were too busy and not interested in his comments.

This was a well known chain restaurant.

I would think most restaurants would understand the concept but I’m not sure it’s actually going to happen. JMO
I would never be using that place again. They are probably too busy to even wash their hands.

Mornin to you as well cody22....
Wish I had a donut to give...

We have 1 active case in my hamlet with 7 out of quarantine.

Big storms ripped through 7pmish with electric blinking off twice for a seconds. I fell asleep like a baby at 8.

Happy May Day everyone. Finally going to be in the 70’s this weekend. The beaches are going to reopen tomorrow after an extended lockdown. No laying about allowed.
No sports or congregating. .........

.".i may finally invest in a metal detector.....

Six weeks paid isn’t too bad -good for Costco imo ( and your DH). Does side job mean part time? Even better to get that. Part timers tend to get short changed. My DH was told three weeks with pay /not having to use his own earned time first. But this was way back when this was just starting. Not sure if they’d be willing to extend that now. The three weeks is more than many people are given.
It sucks with both of us ~out there~ ups our odds of bringing it home. And if one gets sick the other will have to stay home and use whatever time Off also.
I’ve recently officially changed my motto from “could be worse” to “ better than nothing”;)

It is scary we all have to think this way, worry if we, or anyone in our family will get infected. Every morning when a family member walks out the door, I remind them to be mindful of every little freaking thing they do. Mask, watch what you touch, keep your distance. The state of mindfulness. I could not take care of anyone physically, if they get sick and they know this

Yes, it is a part time job, second job. We really did not know what to do when this started. Only that I could not get this virus, so he took most of his allowed time off. Costco benefits are great, the starting pay was above minimum wage. Four memberships, prescription plan, vision, stock options, hearing aid. A second health insurance comes in handy at times.

I was never able to work, then I lost the ability to walk 12/16, iatrogenic.
At this time in our lives, he wants to work there. He likes his job and the people, the extra money is nice too. We will just have to wait and see how this pans out.

Last edited:
But, better than just using opinion.

We cannot wish more kids to get sick, so that we can study them. Medical researchers use these clues, at any rate - and they're often quite right. I think we'll see it soon in a much much larger sample.
Where do you think the larger sample will come from? The worldometers info I linked was from 72k Chinese cases and had zero child deaths. Not sure how many of those 72k cases were positive kids though so where else can we find data on kids numbers?

Coronavirus (COVID-19) roundup - Office for National Statistics

No deaths under 14 yo.

Last edited:
I was walking past a nursing home today, beautiful, sunny day. They had large round tables set up outside. The tables were set up for the residents to be outside, and their families could come see them. Everyone was wearing masks, gloves, and at social distance. And they looked happy.

I don't understand stand why other nursing homes won't let the folks at least outside. They are not prisoners in lock down.
My Mom is allowed to leave her apartment if she wears a mask. She can go the the mail room in the lobby area , go to the laundry room, and she can sit on the patio or in the garden but is not allowed to be closer than 6 feet away from anyone. And she said the staff does like to steer residents back to their rooms whenever possible. When my mom was sitting on the patio the other morning, the social worker politely suggested she go sit on her balcony.

It is frightening for the staff, I am sure. The residents are from 70 to 102 years of age. They are the most vulnerable segment and it is scary to imagine the virus catching hold. It would be devastating.

So at this point they are not allowing visitors unless you show them a very recent CV test affirming negative.

I have a friend right now, her father is dying of cancer in a nursing home, and they won't let her in to see him. She can't even get him released. I am not sure what is going on, but there is a problem when you can't visit your dying father. They won't let her in, even with a negative COVID19 test, mask...it is terrible.
Not even allowed in with a negative test?

My brother wants to take my Mom to see her cardiologist. And they said he could but only if he could show them negative test results that were within 2 days, OR positive antibody test results.

The US Capitol’s attending physician said Thursday that coronavirus tests will be available for staffers and senators who are ill, but not enough to proactively test all 100 senators as the chamber comes back in session, according to two people familiar with the matter.

In a conference call with top GOP officials, Dr. Brian Monahan said there is not sufficient capacity to quickly test senators for coronavirus — a contrast with the White House, where any people meeting with President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence are tested for the disease.

Monahan said test results in the Senate will take two or more days, while the White House has rapid testing.

The Senate is scheduled to reconvene on Monday after more than a month away, bringing as many as 100 senators from across the country. Roughly half the senators are 65 or older and at increased risk for the coronavirus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

More at link...

Capitol physician says Senate lacks capacity to test all senators
I don't understand this^^^^. Los Angeles is doing drive through test sites and testing 10,000 patients each day it operates. Test results within 48 hours.

If We can test 10k in LA last Saturday, why can't the Senate test 100 senators?

Where do you think the larger sample will come from? The worldometers info I linked was from 72k Chinese cases and had zero child deaths. Not sure how many of those 72k cases were positive kids though so where else can we find data on kids numbers?

Coronavirus (COVID-19) roundup - Office for National Statistics

No deaths under 14 yo.
To late to add this link to my original post.

Statistics » COVID-19 Daily Deaths

This is only for England but shows 11 deaths in the 0-19 age group so based on this data and the previous ONS data these 11 deaths must have been in the 14-19 age group. There could be an anomaly regarding the reporting dates but still indicates no deaths and few cases for under 14 yo in England.

Info for Apple and Google app

Apple Inc. and Google released the first versions of their Covid-19 contact-tracing tools to public health organizations on Wednesday so the agencies can start building applications ahead of the system’s launch in mid-May.

The tool set is a combination of software updates for iOS and Android, and software development kits to help developers build and test their apps. Apple released an early beta version of its software update that incorporates the technology, iOS 13.5, while Google is rolling out an update via its Google Play app store.

The first phase of the system will let health agencies build apps that allow a person who tests positive for Covid-19 to input their diagnosis. The system will then use Bluetooth technology to learn who the person has come into contact with and then notify those people of a possible exposure.

Apple released Xcode 11.5, a new version of its software development kit on Wednesday, while Google is providing an update of its SDK to select developers.

The companies also said that on Friday they will release sample code to help developers understand how the exposure-notification system will work, along with more information on which types of apps will be allowed.

Apple, Google Release Virus Contact-Tracing Tools to App Makers

In a few weeks, your smartphone may tell you that you've been close to someone infected by the coronavirus and that you may need to isolate yourself.

By mid-May, Apple and Google will offer a mobile software tool that will let iPhones and Android devices talk to each other and allow digital contact tracing, which tracks those with infections and alerts others who have been in close contact.

Apple and Google will release an API, or application programming interface, that helps a smartphone anonymously detect when it's been near the smartphone of someone who has reported they have the virus.

That API will let software developers build apps — distributed by public health authorities — that could alert users to potential exposures to COVID-19.

Digital contact tracing doesn't diagnose infections; it only tells users if they've encountered someone who is infected. While other companies are building contact tracing apps, the Apple/Google partnership could greatly expand tracing, since:
The article goes into more detail explaining how it works

Coronavirus contact tracing: App could warn you of COVID-19 exposure

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...s-thats-problem-big-techs-plan-slow-pandemic/

If I understand this correctly, if I was at Albertson's market, and a stranger who had tested positive for CV, came within 5 feet of me one afternoon last week, I would get a text message telling me so?

And then what? I go get tested? I quarantine even though I am already quarantined?

I think this would be a great tool for someone who was out in the world working every day. Then if they were messaged about being exposed, they could quarantine for 14 days.

But I am already isolating myself. And if I was told that I had a fleeting potential contact while out in public, I don't think I would get tested unless I had symptoms of some kind.

??????????? IDK......

If I understand this correctly, if I was at Albertson's market, and a stranger who had tested positive for CV, came within 5 feet of me one afternoon last week, I would get a text message telling me so?

And then what? I go get tested? I quarantine even though I am already quarantined?

I think this would be a great tool for someone who was out in the world working every day. Then if they were messaged about being exposed, they could quarantine for 14 days.

But I am already isolating myself. And if I was told that I had a fleeting potential contact while out in public, I don't think I would get tested unless I had symptoms of some kind.

??????????? IDK......
What if it was your postman? That would be a shock. I just realised that is the only possible contact for us but we also live within yards of a public footpath so would passers by be reported to me as well if they got it? That would be a bit of false alerting.

What if it was your postman? That would be a shock. I just realised that is the only possible contact for us but we also live within yards of a public footpath so would passers by be reported to me as well if they got it? That would be a bit of false alerting.
Ugh, I guess that would be good to know if it was our postman. I have been leaving our mail out on the back patio in the sun for 3 or 4 hours before opening it anyway. I better continue that routine...

Yes, false alerting would be troublesome. I guess I wonder if I really want to be notified every time I pass close by someone who has the 'Rona' as my kids call it. It would probably stress me out way too much. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska