Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
we can't visit my dying father in the hospital and the gov't put a delay on any patients transferring to care homes which he was on the list for
it's been weeks and just today my Mom got in to see him because he is considered palliative now but only her; which means I will never see my Dad again
so I have to try and accept that now
(((LadyL))), I'm so sorry.
t4560.gif

That said, young people can spread it. We are not all a single generational family.

Indeed. And young people are going home to moms who've had cancer, dads with asthma, spouses who are obese and siblings who have congenital health issues. Its not just the elderly who die.

It doesn't make sense to open up the economy when the number of new cases per day is nearly the highest it has ever been. Once the numbers fall, and community spread of new cases is under control, and widespread testing and tracking is taking place, then we'd be ready to reopen the economy.

Health experts and economists both agree that opening too soon will trigger a devastating second outbreak which will be far more costly than if we get this outbreak under control before going back to work, even with using intermediate steps such as having younger people go back to work first.

Sadly, everyone is an expert these days and decisions are being made based on nothing but wishful thinking.

we can't visit my dying father in the hospital and the gov't put a delay on any patients transferring to care homes which he was on the list for
it's been weeks and just today my Mom got in to see him because he is considered palliative now but only her; which means I will never see my Dad again

That is so, so terrible LadyL! I can't imagine that you won't see him again, and I can relate.
My elderly father is being bounced frequently between a rehab facility and an acute hospital. He was living independently at the end of February but had to have a couple of major operations in March. The outcome is an amputated leg and delirium. He had bounced between facilities several times in the past couple of weeks. No one knows where to send him. :( I'm pretty sure I will never see him again. <sigh> And yet I feel for the medical staff. They don't have family members helping their patients or watching for their needs. <sigh again>

Expect two more years of coronavirus misery - CNN

So maybe the outlook is bleak per the article. How do we deal with it? China locks down the population well and it is compulsory. Other Asian countries have strict policy and a compliant population that also locks down effectively.

How does America do? Pretty damn good as far as I can tell. But what happens going forward?

<modsnip>

upload_2020-4-30_23-32-48.png

<modsnip>

Hopefully this lockdown is effective to carry us a few months because I see an American population that isn't wired for prolonged compliance. <modsnip>

Because Covid-19 is new, no one has any immunity, they said. "The length of the pandemic will likely be 18 to 24 months, as herd immunity gradually develops in the human population," they wrote.
Their predictions are different from models presented by groups such as the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington or the models produced by Imperial College London, whose report predicting millions of deaths in the US and UK helped galvanize responses by both governments.

The CIDRAP-led team used those reports, historical data on past pandemics, and published reports about the medical details of Covid-19 to put together their forecast.

"Because of a longer incubation period, more asymptomatic spread, and a higher R0, COVID-19 appears to spread more easily than flu," they wrote in the report. R0 is the average number of other people infected by each patient.
"A higher R0 means more people will need to get infected and become immune before the pandemic can end," they add. "Based on the most recent flu pandemics, this outbreak will likely last 18 to 24 months."

Last edited by a moderator:
This woman called the unemployment dept. 3,216 times.
I've been hearing others having the same problem after they filed their claim and received no assurance. Of course, she was frantic. She has two children to feed and was going to run out of money.

The UE Dept. only receives phone calls from 8 a.m. to Noon on one number! You know the message… "We're experiencing more calls than we have capacity to answer. Our hours are …" The other number was for UE questions and proved useless.

She finally got a call back and assurance her claim is going to go through.

So happy she finally got called back and she'll be receiving some money soon. For now, she can be less afraid and worried sick.

Your Stories: A single mother's nightmare trying to receive unemployment insurance

"She, like many San Diegans, is at her wit's end."

"It is unfair for the government to make claims saying were going to extend unemployment hours to 5 p.m. and you're sitting there calling, and they are telling you their hours are from 8 a.m., to 12 p.m.," said Olsen.

Then Worldometers is miscalculating somewhere. Or it's possible the over 90's have a 30% death rate, which would give a 20% overall death rate (I guess - I mean, I'd need to see the calculations). Since there are far more older people dying, we'd have to multiply their rate by their actual number of cases (but somewhere someone has to be dying at a way higher rate than 14.8% to get to an overall death rate of 20%).

Also, that's not proper data for the 0-9 group. See here (Table 2). The CDC doesn't report by the age brackets mentioned above so I assume WorldoMeter is doing extrapolation (which I teach my students to do, it's a valid thing to do as an information strategy).

At any rate the US has lost 9 children 14 and under as of 4/25. 4 were under the age of 1. That illustrates my earlier point about...infants are more vulnerable, those deaths under 1 year were mostly under 6 months, although I do remember a 1 year old with serious underlying conditions dying).

But 9 != zero. And worldwide, the number of children dead is greater than 9, so still not zero.

It's true that children are way less likely to die of CoVid19, so far. The Kawasaki-activation syndrome going on in UK is very very concerning). But that syndrome is in keeping with all else science is finding out about this novel Coronavirus.

I wonder if the numbers would be slightly different if schools were still in session, and university dorms still populated. These two groups, where young people spent a lot of time in confined spaces, were closed fairly early in the outbreak. But care facilities couldn't disperse their people.

That is so, so terrible LadyL! I can't imagine that you won't see him again, and I can relate.
My elderly father is being bounced frequently between a rehab facility and an acute hospital. He was living independently at the end of February but had to have a couple of major operations in March. The outcome is an amputated leg and delirium. He had bounced between facilities several times in the past couple of weeks. No one knows where to send him. :( I'm pretty sure I will never see him again. <sigh> And yet I feel for the medical staff. They don't have family members helping their patients or watching for their needs. <sigh again>

I'm so sorry for you too
sending you virtual hugs

Folks, while we are allowing the MSM links to articles about the various protests, they are allowed basically for information purposes only. They are just to give members a newsworthy perspective about what is going on but the overall subject is not open to discussion.

Bickering or debate about the protests, the constitution, civil rights, who's right or wrong, or whose side anyone is on will go absolutely nowhere, nor will the issues be resolved at Websleuths.
Bump

Hugs! I can’t imagine the heartache for you and your family.

Seems like too much personal information is being released.
Why are peoples birth dates important?

Is it a 3 yr. old or a 70 yr. old? They say we're going to lose more privacy due to Covid.

Birth date is used so often by health care personnel to be sure they have the right person. They always ask that before they do anything.

I call this health care co. every month to pay my bill, as I heard they were flaky if you auto paid. The robo operator asks me to key in my birth date before I get transferred to a real person. By that time it has my DOB, my account is in front of the real person. They already know from my phone number and from my date of birth that it's ME :).

I’m so sorry @LadyL. :( Hugs to you and your family. I’m glad your Mom got in, but I know this has to be hard for you.

I want to thank all of the members here who have reminded me why a persons birth date is important in properly identifying them.

I still want to know why LE needs this kind of information on people who test positive for the corona virus. It is a crime to to be infected? JMO

Maybe because their entire world was turned upside down, and they were given conflicting what to do, orders from their government several times a day???
Personally, I would back off of any small business trying to navigate through this mess of mis-information.
No business is cavalier about how to deal with this.
If you personally don't feel safe about ordering take out, then don't.
If you have some constructive criticism to share with ANY business about how to make things safer...then call the manager or owner and share your ideas.
As a small business owner, I would take into consideration your comments.
As, I'm positive 99% of small businesses would.

Wow. Well - yeah. The only time we went to get take out, the restaurant had a tiny area open, but people then crowded into it. Why was that? Why didn't they have a larger area for the customer and waitperson to stand (they were not 6 feet apart, more like 3). Restaurant was empty...I wondered if they worried about robbery or controlling entrance into a larger space.

I'm so sorry. I cannot imagine what you're going thru.

Prayers tonight for your Dad , Mom & yourself. May God send comfort in some way very soon.

Question for a real zoologist, scientist or doctor:

Re: source, what about something to do with the farming/collection/consumption of the delicacy “birds nest soup”? They go into the caves to get the birds’ saliva/nests, scrape them off the cave walls right where bats and bat droppings are? They share the same habitat, right?

I know zero about zoonoses. Just thinking about bats, if some kind of spillover could maybe have occurred this way with people going into the caves and/or something to do with the birds and bats together, maybe people having direct contact with bat droppings this environment and/or humans eating bird spit possibly contaminated with bat droppings, or spit of a bird which has been infected by a bat and/or if it’s possible it jumped species in that environment with bats to birds to humans, etc...if there was a possible Avian connection or source we likely would’ve heard about it now, but again source is still unknown. I’m just thinking about SARS and the bats from the Yunnan caves collected for the SARS studies and it got me thinking about caves and bats, so then bird nest soup came to mind since the dried bird spit is collected from caves and they presumably share the same habitat with bats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member