Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some comments from Dr. Mike on Apr 22 re: long term care facilities / source:

Dr. Michael J. Ryan: (16:07)
“[inaudible 00:16:07] families and they’re continuing to do so and families are doing their best to protect them. What we’ve seen in the context of Europe and North America though are very intense series of individual outbreaks inside longterm care facilities, which have been quite devastating. And the risk of such events occurring into the future, as long as the virus is here, there’s always an opportunity for that to happen. But at the same time it is very difficult to reduce that risk to zero. So I think each country is going to have to look at, “How can we minimize the risk of bringing disease into such a setting?” And there are lots of measures that can be done to minimize that risk. And even more importantly, “How are we going to pick up a signal that something has gone wrong, that there may be a case in that situation and how do we rapidly shut that down and deal with that very effectively?”

And that’s going to be that sort of both the risk reduction and the risk response to an event if it occurs. I’m sure there are many, many, many older people living in longterm care facilities who, at the best of times, are lonely. And for the last number of weeks has been a terrible ordeal for them, both to be further isolated, but also with the constant threat of potentially becoming sick with this disease. As the disease dies down or comes under control at community level, then the risks obviously reduce for those longterm care facilities. But the consequence of disease getting into those facilities I think is clear and stark. So how do we protect and shield our older, oldest and wisest and most precious members of our society while at the same time not entirely cutting them off from the very things that makes us human?

And that’s our ability to be part of a community. And these are trade offs that are very difficult to manage. My own view is that the risks can be managed. They need to be recognized then managed. And if in a situation where we do see disease occur in a longterm care facility, we must be ready to react very quickly to stamp out that disease. It’s also important that carers in these facilities have adequate training, that there’s an adequate design in facilities, there’s adequate staffing in facilities and that we look again at the support, design and environment that we offer for our older citizens.

That those environments are made, not only more comfortable and more human, but also safer. And I believe that can be achieved. And I believe there are lots of ideas on how that can be done. I think we need to maybe also look at the model of the way in which we’re providing care and support for our older citizens. There’s a lot to be done, but I do think it’s a major issue. I think if you look around Europe now and in North America and Canada, a large proportion of the intense disease transmission is actually concentrated in longterm care facilities, which is in itself a tragedy. And it’s also a challenge.”

I wonder how many WS members that we don’t even know about have contracted Covid-19 and had serious, and perhaps fatal consequences.

Some may not be in touch with any members here, so we may never know if any or which WS members may have died during this pandemic.

I say this as I think about members that suddenly just went MIA. Hopefully they’re just busy with their lives and are okay.
I hear you!
Is there an "In the event of my death, xxxx xxxx will privately contact ****** ******?"
Do we just give our information to someone who we trust to contact someone?
I have seen the passing of some members and I was so shocked, saddened and wondered how I missed that the person who I enjoyed thier posts was suddenly gone. FIREFOX- for example! Had I know his real name, I'd have known, but it was months before I found out. *(he was a first responder when my friend in high school was killed. Her name was Laurie Landt)
Is there a thread to advise on how to notify members of our passing?
Sorry if off topic.
Moo

I hear you!
Is there an "In the event of my death, xxxx xxxx will privately contact ****** ******?"
Do we just give our information to someone who we trust to contact someone?
I have seen the passing of some members and I was so shocked, saddened and wondered how I missed that the person who I enjoyed thier posts was suddenly gone. FIREFOX- for example! Had I know his real name, I'd have known, but it was months before I found out. *(he was a first responder when my friend in high school was killed. Her name was Laurie Landt)
Is there a thread to advise on how to notify members of our passing?
Sorry if off topic.
Moo

It amazes me the number of us in our 70’s here, so it is something to think about. I’ve never run across a thread advising how to do it. Off the top of my head, I might give my husband my log in information and have a conversation already set up with ones I know best. He could sign in and inform the ones in the conversation. One of them could start a thread. If he wanted to he could then join so he could post as himself. It all sounds kind of maudlin, I know, but this pandemic has encouraged us to have our affairs in order, so this is part of it. I’m open to other ideas. :(

It amazes me the number of us in our 70’s here, so it is something to think about. I’ve never run across a thread advising how to do it. Off the top of my head, I might give my husband my log in information and have a conversation already set up with ones I know best. He could sign in and inform the ones in the conversation. One of them could start a thread. If he wanted to he could then join so he could post as himself. It all sounds kind of maudlin, I know, but this pandemic has encouraged us to have our affairs in order, so this is part of it. I’m open to other ideas. :(
I'm going to give my daughter my login and password.
I'm afraid my husband may predecease me. He also has zero interest in my Websleuths passion!!! If I could photograph every facial expression he has given me over the years of his not understanding why I love this site, I'd have the best compilation EVER!
I'll have my daughter contact Tricia or a friend I have connected with in my area.
I am not in any malignant type of situation, but being honest, ya never know.
I doubt anyone would really wonder what happened to me, but there are members who I really enjoyed reading their posts who went "poof" and I truly hope they left for "whatever reason" and are still alive and well.
It doesn't seem appropriate to ask, "hey! Where did "so n so" go?
Honestly I don't even want to ask because I don't want to read, they are no longer with us.
Sadly, I have grieved the loss of several members. I wish I could have told them goodbye, I'll miss you.
(Sad face)
Moo

At Phoenix Zoo, keepers have lunch dates with elephants and orangutans, and one sociable bird needs frequent visits. Primates have gone looking for missing visitors.

Dublin Zoo said animals were also "wondering what's happened to everyone".

"They come up and have a good look. They are used to visitors," he told the Irish Times.

Aquarium pleads for public to video-chat its eels

At Orana Wildlife Park in New Zealand, rhinos and giraffes were turning up for their scheduled "meet the public" appearances.

"The kea and gorillas particularly seem to be missing people, they really enjoy seeing the public," spokesman Nathan Hawke told the Guardian.

Linda Hardwick, communications director told the BBC: "We have noticed that some of our more "social" animals are not a fan of the stay at home and social distancing orders. Primates especially have noticed our guests are gone and go looking for them."

Without visitors, some animals lack stimulation, Paul Rose, lecturer in animal behaviour at the University of Exeter, told the BBC.

"Some individuals, such as primates and parrots get a lot of enrichment from viewing and engaging with visitors. It is beneficial to the animal's wellbeing and quality of life. If this stimulation is not there, then the animals are lacking the enrichment," he said.

"Our Tropical Flights Aviary is home to a very special, and social bird; Dynah the Bali myna, who is missing the attention of guests. Bird keepers are visiting her frequently to curb her loneliness," she added.

"I think many zoo animals are quite resilient and will be aware of changes in daily rhythms," says Paul Rose. "But phased opening of animal houses would be a good thing to do, to ensure that sudden noise change from quiet to loud is not unduly affecting the inhabitants.

"The continued presence of zoo staff will mean that people are not suddenly going to be unfamiliar."
Animals in zoos 'lonely' without visitors

Last edited:
Emirates is the first airline to conduct on-site rapid COVID-19 tests for passengers. Passengers on today's flight to Tunisia were all tested for COVID-19 before departing from Dubai. Emirates in coordination with Dubai Health Authority (DHA) will be introducing additional precautions.

video 44 seconds

I wondered if it was the temperature test but then watched the video. Impressed.

The exact same thing is happening in California.
Once, or if, the unemployed can make their claims, expect unemployment figures to sky rocket.
When unemployment sky rockets, the stock market does poorly.
I personally predict a very bad few weeks or longer on our horizon.
The good news if you're a buyer or homeowner?
The cheapest long term mortgage money we've ever seen.

It is already at 30 million.

BTW good to hear your funding finally came thru and hope your business can survive. Someone I know got one of the UK grants and it has been a great help.

Last edited:
This virus has sunk me into a depression. I don't mind the lockdown and I kind of enjoy the lockdown since I am an introvert. I don't see an end. Maybe I am reading too much news.
I know a lot of people are feeling this too. There will be an end and that is why partial reopening is a help to get back to normal. It is depressing not being able to have friends and family visit and not know how long this will continue. I just hope the vaccine and drug trials will be helpful in the long run.

The top line, I just noticed I made a mistake. I wrote strokes and the word should have been blood clots. Corrected
Has it been recommended to take an aspirin daily by any doctors? I know some heart attack or stroke patients were recommended to do this at one time.

Thought I had better give a link as I am no doctor.

Should you take a daily aspirin for your heart?

Last edited:
Yes but you then completely misquoted me and others agreed and interpreted my post the way it was meant. That's fine if you do that but expect me to comment about it when that happens.

The original post has been removed for some reason, but here it is quoted by @doublestop in the original reply. As a neutral observer, I can see why @doublestop interpreted it in a negative way, but even though the post was worded awkwardly, I don’t think @tresir2012 intended it the way it was interpreted. Truce? :) I think it’s good to remember that we are all dealing with an unprecedented situation and we are all under some level of stress. It’s easy for these feelings to end up directed at each other instead of at this out-of-control event. So how about we all just assume good intentions and cut each other some slack. We need each other more than we need to argue. Peace out!

The original post has been removed for some reason, but here it is quoted by @doublestop in the original reply. As a neutral observer, I can see why @doublestop interpreted it in a negative way, but even though the post was worded awkwardly, I don’t think @tresir2012 intended it the way it was interpreted. Truce? :) I think it’s good to remember that we are all dealing with an unprecedented situation and we are all under some level of stress. It’s easy for these feelings to end up directed at each other instead of at this out-of-control event. So how about we all just assume good intentions and cut each other some slack. We need each other more than we need to argue. Peace out!

Thankyou.

That's worldwide. It's been in the papers in the US quite a bit - glad the UK is catching up.

Although, how it really affects anything? Dunno.
Have you got a link to the US reports. It's interesting to me.

I wonder how many WS members that we don’t even know about have contracted Covid-19 and had serious, and perhaps fatal consequences.

Some may not be in touch with any members here, so we may never know if any or which WS members may have died during this pandemic.

I say this as I think about members that suddenly just went MIA. Hopefully they’re just busy with their lives and are okay.

i hope they are ok but we may never know ---
At Phoenix Zoo, keepers have lunch dates with elephants and orangutans, and one sociable bird needs frequent visits. Primates have gone looking for missing visitors.

Dublin Zoo said animals were also "wondering what's happened to everyone".

"They come up and have a good look. They are used to visitors," he told the Irish Times.

Aquarium pleads for public to video-chat its eels

At Orana Wildlife Park in New Zealand, rhinos and giraffes were turning up for their scheduled "meet the public" appearances.

"The kea and gorillas particularly seem to be missing people, they really enjoy seeing the public," spokesman Nathan Hawke told the Guardian.

Linda Hardwick, communications director told the BBC: "We have noticed that some of our more "social" animals are not a fan of the stay at home and social distancing orders. Primates especially have noticed our guests are gone and go looking for them."

Without visitors, some animals lack stimulation, Paul Rose, lecturer in animal behaviour at the University of Exeter, told the BBC.

"Some individuals, such as primates and parrots get a lot of enrichment from viewing and engaging with visitors. It is beneficial to the animal's wellbeing and quality of life. If this stimulation is not there, then the animals are lacking the enrichment," he said.

"Our Tropical Flights Aviary is home to a very special, and social bird; Dynah the Bali myna, who is missing the attention of guests. Bird keepers are visiting her frequently to curb her loneliness," she added.

"I think many zoo animals are quite resilient and will be aware of changes in daily rhythms," says Paul Rose. "But phased opening of animal houses would be a good thing to do, to ensure that sudden noise change from quiet to loud is not unduly affecting the inhabitants.

"The continued presence of zoo staff will mean that people are not suddenly going to be unfamiliar."
Animals in zoos 'lonely' without visitors

who woulda thunk it?

“There has been an increase in substance use throughout the nation, so people are coming in to seek services for detoxification,” says Cicely Alvis, the Division Director for Specialty Services at Frontier Health.

University of Utah researchers tracked the sale of alcohol throughout the month of March and found that sales have increased by 55% compared to this time last year.

To view the University's study, click here.

"Anxiety doesn’t really pick out a demographic necessarily. It’s a universal experience,” says Ben Taylor from Summit Counseling.

"Everybody needs to have their own tool kit. What to do when they’re feeling overwhelmed, or if they’re not really sure what to do with their time,” says Alvis.

Here are some links to access more mental health resources:

Summit Counseling: https://summitcounselingtn.com/

Frontier Health: Covid-19 Update - Frontier Health

CDC: Mental Health - Home Page - CDC

eta:
There are also several resources online that can assist people during this challenging time. Please see the links below for several available resources:

CDC – COVID-19 Resources to Manage Anxiety & Stress
Mental Health America (MHA) – COVID-19 Information and Resources
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) – COVID-19 Information and Resources
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry – Talking to kids about COVID-19

Last edited by a moderator:
Coronavirus cases among Worcester Walmart employees reaches 61

m*advertiser censored*/more at link

Moo -but based on family members experiences in two different chains, in different parts of the state, walk-in business is booming at big box diy stores (Home Depot and Lowe’s) -“busy as Ive ever seen it” - I hope these companies are watching out for their employees. (Both family members did curbside pick up) I wouldn’t be surprised to see these types of stores seeing similar employee outbreaks

I was literally thinking the same thing last night. Jmo

It wouldn't be that hard to build their own testing system (like the White House) and then offer all the extra tests, once they are done, to the general public.

Yep, it would require cooperation with state regulations and medical professionals, but with the kind of money the NBA has, they could do it for all athletes everywhere - and also serve the public.

The commissioners and owners said that professional sports will not go on until testing is available for everyone. They said they do not want to take tests away from people who need them as tests in the US are scarce at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand