Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am struggling with a lot of similar personal choices. I think there comes a point where we have to think about what is called "quality of life". We need interaction with animals and our loved ones. But it is a difficult decision to make and I flip back and forth all the time.

My mom's personality is beginning to fracture and she needs to see her grandkids. But how do we do it safely...I do not want to risk anything. The new I will swing the other way and think to heck with this.....if my mom wants to hug her grandkids, then let her.
So far, I keep going back to what would a "responsible person do" knowing the possible risks.
I think if the mental health of your mom is in question then let the grand kids and you mask up, sanitize hands and hug her. That's MO.

I am constantly seeing people bending these rules. Parent bringing their child to grandma and grandpa (age 66 and 74 with health conditionsfor) for daily child care, daughters meeting up to walk with mum for daily dog walks. I don't know if they are maintaining social distancing in those situations but they certainly don't have masks on anyway.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation with my mom. She was beginning to show some early dementia and we're in a rapid downstream pattern complete with raging Rapids and a looming waterfall now. I just got home from tearing over there because she was dying, couldn't see and couldn't move. Long story short, the EMTs ascertained she is fine. I'm about to go over the waterfall myself. ;) This is tough on people. Jmo

I am glad she was ok in the end. Does she have some sort of alarm? It must be very worrying. Take care of yourself too.

Our football (AFL) season is going to re-start at some point in the very near future ... and we will have NO spectators at the stadium(s).
The officials are now trying to work out if they will have the players live and play in a 'hub' for the 20 weeks (of course, many players are baulking at this) or if there is some way they can fly the players to their interstate games and keep them isolated.
I guess the players have to earn those big bucks they are (still) being paid. On the flip side of the coin, it will make for some better TV viewing for many.

AFL chief executive officer Gillon McLachlan has accepted the fact there won't be spectators when matches resume in 2020 .....
Will there be a crowd at the GF? AFL not ruling it out just yet

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/german-soccer-fans-fill-empty-stadium-with-cardboard-cutouts/

I have been meaning to post this link since I came across it and keep forgetting. This is how German team Borussia Munchengladbach are getting over it.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/german-soccer-fans-fill-empty-stadium-with-cardboard-cutouts/

Soccer diehards fill empty stadium with cardboard cutouts of fans
By Tamar Lapin

April 30, 2020 | 8:06pm | Updated

gladbach-2.jpg

Cutouts of Borussia Borussia Mönchengladbach fans are seen at Borussia-Park.
Borussia Mönchengladbach via Getty Images

"Don’t be surprised if these soccer fans look a little board.

Supporters of German club Borussia Mönchengladbach have filled their stadium with thousands of cardboard cut-outs of themselves in the event the sport returns behind closed doors in May, Time reported.

The cutouts, planted in the Borussia-Park stadium seats, cost about $20.60 a pop, and require people to submit a photo wearing their club kits and scarves, said Ingo Müller, a who came up with the idea some three weeks ago while quarantined in his Berlin apartment.

Local print shops are producing the cutouts — a bid at helping keep their businesses afloat, he said."

The rest of the article goes on to explain and also says that even their rivals are getting in on the act by buying cutouts of themselves too. :)

Last edited:
I’m quite pleased that the Governor of Oregon had the foresight to set up a 250 bed field hospital at the Oregon State Fairgrounds in mid-March, and smaller ones at two other locations. Thanks to her stay-home order, our numbers have not expanded too rapidly, so I don’t know if they got much use, but we were ready if they were needed. I haven’t heard Oregonians complaining that these field hospitals were a waste of time and money. But they certainly would have complained if the state wasn’t ready for what might happen...and might still happen. The ones who hate the governor are quite vocal.
JMO

Oregon Medical Station in place at state fairgrounds to care for up to 250 patients

It isn't over yet, so although we hope the field hospitals will never be used, I agree that it is far better to be over prepared than not ready. A lot of work had to go into organising the field hospitals, work done by people who already have super busy lives. They had to acquire beds and equipment, laundry, meals, staffing, transportation, cleaning and supplies.

I wish we were doing more than just flattening the curve. I wish we were on the downside, seeing cases drop in number each day. Are there two provinces now that are CoV-19 free?

There are two things that I really like about the way Canada is handling this. I really appreciate our medical officer of public health, Dr. Tam, and that she is respected by all our premiers. She's a strong and assuring voice of medical authority for us. She will probably receive an Order of Canada out of this.

I also appreciate that our premiers have set down their political swords and are working together. Doug Ford's response to the protesters was in language they could understand. He said they're disrespectful to members of the armed forces who are overseas, as well as those helping in long term facilities.

Last edited:
Are you from California? I looked at that list a bunch of times and I think I get why they are saying those things (solo to duo activities, less exhalation of breath/cryptic transmission).

But Wash the Car? I guess some people really do enjoy it (and see it as a reason to be in their bathing suits, working on their tan/vitamin D while doing something useful).

Tree climbing? Absurd, isn't it? Except my two granddaughters keep asking if they can do that - so yeah, we can, and I know just where.

I guess they're encouraging us to go outside and do the things people used to do before gyms were invented. We can do the football and soccer ball throwing here, as long as we are members of a household. Of course, no one ever sees families do things like that where I live (it's almost always AYSO), but maybe with so many parents home, they'll go kick a ball with their kids?

One thing about lists like this one is that they are never inclusive or descriptive enough, causing some people to find reasons to question the whole thing. It might be helpful for the authorities to provide the principles behind the list so that people can use their good judgement when an activity is not on the list and may never show up on the list. For example, is it OK for me to practice my bagpipes on the soccer field?

As it happened: US reported coronavirus deaths pass 65,000 - BBC News

I meant to post this yesterday but ran out of time.

• Posted at 18:20 2 May18:20 2 May
      Will the UK investigate China?
      The government was asked at the daily press briefing if the UK would try to claim "billions in reparations" if it was shown that a lack of transparency from China hampered efforts to prevent the pandemic.

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick said while "there will come a time" to analyse the origins of the virus and consider what actions to take, the time was "not now".

It follows international calls for an investigation into how the virus - first documented in the Chinese city of Wuhan - emerged.

At a White House press briefing last week, US President Donald Trump appeared to undercut his own intelligence agencies by suggesting he had seen evidence coronavirus originated in a Chinese laboratory.

In the same week, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he would push for an investigation next month at the annual World Health Assembly, which is the decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO).

That body already plans to discuss calls for a "lessons learned" review of health emergencies.

Our science editor has looked in detail at the Wuhan lab theory and the lack of any evidence for it - have a read.

Article share tools
    • Posted at 18:11 2 May18:11 2 May
      What did we learn from today's briefing?
      The briefing was led by Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick alongside Dr Jenny Harries, Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England.
      • The total number of fatalities from coronavirus in the UK, across all settings, now stands at 28,131. The death rate is starting to come down "very gradually and very slowly"
      • 105,937 tests were carried out on Friday, surpassing the government's self-imposed target of 100,000 tests a day.
      • The government pledged a support package of over £76m to support victims of domestic abuse, vulnerable children and victims of modern slavery through the coronavirus crisis
      • Dame Louise Casey will oversee a national effort to ensure rough sleepers have safe accommodation in which they receive support whilst self-isolating
      • Any return of UK pupils to school will be done carefully and "may well be in a phased manner", but only when the time is right
      • The fact that the rate of transmission is "significantly less" outdoors than indoors is likely to be taken into consideration when lockdown measures are lifted
      • It is still not clear whether a person can catch coronavirus twice, but increased testing will help scientists in their conclusions
      Article share tools
    • Posted at 18:01 2 May18:01 2 May
      What is the R number and why does it matter?
      UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said to avoid the "disaster" of a second peak that we must keep the R rate below one.

But what is the R number and why does it matter? BBC health correspondent Laura Foster explains.

Video content
      Read more about these links.
  1. Posted at 17:25 2 May17:25 2 May
    Schools could be re-opened 'in a phased manner'
    Any return of UK pupils to school will be done carefully and "may well be in a phased manner" but only when the time is right, Robert Jenrick said at the briefing that finished a few minutes ago.

He said he was aware that home-schooling could be difficult and said there was anecdotal evidence that there was a huge range in terms of the quality of education that children are currently receiving at home.

"I am very focused upon those children who we know are vulnerable... and are at home and less visible," he said.

On the re-opening of schools, Dr Harries, England's deputy chief medical officer, said that children who get infected with the virus "tend to have less clinical disease" and that the disease is less likely to become severe.

She added there was some evidence to suggest younger children are less susceptible to the disease but further research was required.

Last edited:
Soldiers' Home outbreak follows years of calls for more funding
Five years ago during a public hearing at the Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke, retiring superintendent Paul Barabani said the state’s failure to respond to his repeated pleas for additional funding and staffing amounted to “deceit.”
Before an audience that included one of his bosses, state veterans affairs secretary Francisco A. Ureña, the home’s trustees, residents and their family members, Barabani put it simply: “Current staffing levels are inadequate and jeopardize patient care.”
Over the past six to eight weeks, the Soldiers’ Home has come to have the highest death and infection rate of any facility in the country.
Massachusetts:(

Last edited:
One thing I would like to know is why are the various countries following these procedures? Eg. Closing schools, banning visitors to care homes and stopping kids seeing over 70's etc. Who came up with this plan first? Was it China or Italy? Or WHO? And with Sweden choosing the herd immunity course, was that a completely independent choice or was this a recommended WHO strategy or what exactly? I was not on the thread until March so may have missed if this was explained or discussed previously.

Most countries already had an Emergency Response Plan in place before CoV-19 began. There was a link to the US Emergency Plan several threads back. Perhaps I will be able to find it again. ETA, I don't think that this is the same link, but it might be helpful.
https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/blaw/FEMA/frpfull.pdf

Here's the Canadian Federal Emergency Response Plan, which I believe the leaders are following.
Federal Emergency Response Plan January 2011

Last edited:
I haven’t caught up today and don’t know if I will. I’d like your advice, though, please.

My mom has been isolated, has not left the house once, since March 9th. She misses my dog and chickens. I live in the country. She’s thinking about coming out here tomorrow to spend time outside with the dog and chickens. I figured I would Clorox wipe and unlock the gates, set up clean chairs, and she could just come on in the yard alone, do her thing, have her spirits raised.

I think it’s low to no risk. But if there are risks I’m not considering, I’m pretty sure one of you will see them and point them out. And that’s what I need - for anyone who thinks this is a bad idea to tell me so, and why so I can make the best choice.

Thanks in advance, y’all.

Can she get there safely? It seems to me that her biggest risk may be in transportation to your place. If she can drive herself there and back, and make no stops enroute, the I expect she will have a safe and wonderful visit with you.

Last edited:
This Japanese Island Lifted Its Coronavirus Lockdown Too Soon and Became a Warning to the World

https://time.com/5826918/hokkaido-coronavirus-lockdown/
Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido offers a grim lesson in the next phase of the battle against COVID-19. It acted quickly and contained an early outbreak of the coronavirus with a 3-week lockdown. But, when the governor lifted restrictions, a second wave of infections hit even harder. Twenty-six days later, the island was forced back into lockdown.

Three Days in a Detroit Funeral Home Ravaged by the Coronavirus
Funeral directors were in short supply before the coronavirus hit, with few young people entering the profession. Kemp was lucky that his son chose to join the business. Still, the family, and the funeral home’s additional staff of about 10 people , have found themselves working 12 to 18 hour days trying to manage the high death toll of the pandemic. But as other frontline workers—from doctors to the national guard—get thanked in local public service ads, death-care professionals are often left off the list.
“I’m probably the least popular person in the world because nobody ever wants to see me. But I’m necessary,” said Kemp, positing the calamity that would ensue if funeral homes stopped taking, disinfecting and processing COVID-19 victims. “Our job is to complete the chain of protecting the general public as last responders.”
More...

Doctor: 'Take care when you clap for carers'

In this article there is a warning about being careful of accidents when going outside the home. Also in the article there are details of what the NHS doctor calls "our secret weapon" the CPAP machine and some descriptions of how it works

"She was put on a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine, which has been our secret weapon in the treatment of Covid-19. It blows air into the lungs, keeping them inflated, but the feeling is unpleasant - and the mask needed for machine to work can make people feel claustrophobic. Some of our patients just cannot tolerate it.

"At first I panicked, I'm not going to lie," Kelly told me when I visited her on the ward 10 days ago.

"I've never had anything like that before and I tolerated it for maybe about an hour or two, and I was fine. And then I told the doctors overnight that I wasn't having it on any more, it was so claustrophobic. It felt like I had no control over what was going into my lungs, even though I know it was helping me. I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"And one of the doctors gave me strict talking to and said, 'You know, if you don't have it on you are going to go downhill.' So I had it on again." "

Doctor: 'Take care when you clap for carers'

In this article there is a warning about being careful of accidents when going outside the home. Also in the article there are details of what the NHS doctor calls "our secret weapon" the CPAP machine and some descriptions of how it works

Jesus wept, you’d think we’d be able to manage clapping on our doorsteps without incident o_O

Dogs have been trained to effectively sniff out an array of complexities from cancer to blood sugar levels in diabetics, and now one program is hoping to apply the practice to detect coronavirus.

I can see this so helpful in nursing homes. Both in keeping asymptomatic untested visitors out and in helping the staff know when they are infected or in danger. It would help the elderly get help earlier when it's less expensive.

Coronavirus: Russia records biggest daily rise in new cases - BBC News

Lots of interesting snippets in here. Here's a selection.

• Posted at 9:009:00
      Germany gradually reopens as death rate slows

Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
      Berlin Zoo re-opened last weekImage caption: Berlin Zoo re-opened last week
      The re-opening of churches is the latest easing of Germany's full lockdown restrictions in place since 22 March.

Last week, German authorities said playgrounds and cultural institutions such as museums and zoos would be given the green light to re-open.

It still remains a gloomy picture for hotels and restaurants though. Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that the federal and state governments will not make a decision on the hospitality industry at their next meeting on 6 May, but instead focus on further relaxing the rules for schools, childcare centers and sports facilities.

Germany's death toll rose by 74 to 6,649 in figures released on Sunday, while the number of confirmed coronavirus cases increased by 793 to 162,496, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed.

Article share tools
    • Posted at 8:528:52
      Staggering work 'could avoid travel peaks'
      c567d4cf-cb86-4dce-81cd-7fb5e3dfe45a.png

Sky News

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps says the "road map" for easing the UK lockdown promised next week will not mark an instant return to "business as usual".

He says staggering work times, for example, could prove "very important" in helping avoid "morning peaks" in transport usage.

Asked about reports that people might have their temperature checked before using public transport, he says that's a "moot point" as "people shouldn't be leaving home if they're not feeling well".

He says there will be a new rail timetable for May, although there will not be "anywhere near” the usual number of services.

Article share tools
    • Posted at 8:468:46
      What's on the UK front pages?

BBCCopyright: BBC
      Prime Minister Boris Johnson has given his first interview since recovering from Covid-19, telling the Sun on Sunday newspaper that he was given "litres and litres of oxygen" to keep him alive.

Several papers carry the first image of Mr Johnson and Carrie Symonds' son, Wilfred, on their front pages.

There's also a keen focus on how lockdown measures will be eased. The Sunday Express claims to reveal the "government's blueprint", saying that workplaces will be told to have floor markings, restrictions on the number of people allowed in lifts, and frequent deep cleans.

The Mail on Sunday says ministers are preparing to lift restrictions on outdoor activities first.

The Sunday Telegraph says Mr Johnson is expected to address the nation on the matter next Sunday, with primary schools reopening as soon as next month.

Meanwhile, "don't open restaurants, schools or stadiums" is the message from British people, according to the Observer.

Article share tools
    • Posted at 8:358:35
      UK doctors 'at the mercy' of PPE donations
      Nearly half of doctors have sourced their own personal protective equipment (PPE) because of a lack of availability through normal NHS channels, according to a survey of front-line staff.

The British Medical Association (BMA) survey of more than 16,000 doctors found that, although PPE supplies have improved, more needs to be done to protect them.

“This does not suggest that we have got the sort of protection that we need,” BMA chairman Dr Chaand Nagpaul told BBC Breakfast.

“At the moment we are at the mercy of donations or purchasing them. That doesn’t give you security.

“And it hasn’t met the government’s own commitment and promise that it will be protecting its workforce.”

Article share tools
    • Posted at 8:268:26
      Lifting UK lockdown shouldn't be 'arbitrary'

BBCCopyright: BBC
      The UK government should not introduce an "arbitrary age limit" when lifting lockdown measures, the chairman of the British Medical Association (BMA) has said.

Dr Chaand Nagpaul acknowledged that older people were at a higher risk from coronavirus, but added that a “large number” of people under 70 could also have underlying health conditions, also putting them at risk.

“What’s really important if we are to ease the lockdown is to look at the risk of everyone rather than just have an arbitrary age limit," Dr Nagpaul told BBC Breakfast.

“We don’t want an arbitrary approach.”

He said that when easing lockdown, the government "should be assuring all of us that it is... safer for people to be going outdoors".

Staying indoors for prolonged periods can lead to other problems, he said, potentially affecting people's mental and physical health.

“You can’t just look in isolation at the Covid situation," he added.

Article share tools
    • Posted at 8:158:15
      Key developments from the UK
      In case you missed it, here’s a round-up of the key developments in the UK overnight and yesterday:
      • Boris Johnson has revealed that “contingency plans” were made while he was seriously ill with coronavirus in hospital, where he was given “litres and litres of oxygen”
      • The government has pledged £76m to support vulnerable children, victims of domestic violence and modern slavery who have been “trapped” at home
      • The British Chambers of Commerce has called on ministers to set out plans for a "carefully phased" lifting of lockdown conditions
      • A reliable antibody test could be ready for mass production by June, a firm working with Oxford University has said
      • Millions of people will be asked to track their movements by downloading a nationwide app in a few weeks’ time to limit the spread of the virus
      • Eurostar passengers will be required to wear face masks or face coverings from Monday
      Article share tools
    • Posted at 8:058:05
      Germany's faithful embrace the new normal
      cd49252e-21e1-4c7e-a827-9cfdac88176c.jpg

Damien McGuinness

BBC News, Berlin

ReutersCopyright: Reuters
      Churches in Germany can now open their doors again to worshippers but services will be very different.

After weeks of negotiations with officials, religious leaders have come up with strict rules to prevent coronavirus infections.

Churches will restrict numbers attending and people will have to keep at least 2m (6ft) apart.

Singing, which officials say can spread the virus, is banned and priests will have to wear a mask when giving out communion.

Jewish and Muslim leaders are also introducing special hygiene rules for synagogues and mosques.

Religious leaders supported the government’s lockdown in March - but increasingly have been asking, if shops can open, why can’t places of worship?

They have welcomed the move to allow services. Particularly in the current situation, said one Jewish leader, people need the support and comfort of their faith.

Article share tools

The US just reported its deadliest day for coronavirus patients as states reopen, according to WHO

The United States just had its deadliest day on record due to the coronavirus as states across the country begin to ease restrictions meant to curb the spread of the virus, according to data published by the World Health Organization.

The U.S. saw 2,909 people die of Covid-19 in 24 hours, according to the data, which was collected as of 4 a.m. ET on Friday. That’s the highest daily Covid-19 death toll in the U.S. yet, based on a CNBC analysis of the WHO’s daily Covid-19 situation reports.

Before May 1, the next highest U.S. daily death toll was 2,471 reported on April 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot