Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a similar situation with my mom. She was beginning to show some early dementia and we're in a rapid downstream pattern complete with raging Rapids and a looming waterfall now. I just got home from tearing over there because she was dying, couldn't see and couldn't move. Long story short, the EMTs ascertained she is fine. I'm about to go over the waterfall myself. ;) This is tough on people. Jmo

I have no elder relatives left (mainly because I am elder now I guess) but I miss not having some caring responsibilities... however, all your stories are just so painful. Love and worry are just such a painful experience to bear...raging raps and looming waterfall says so much.

Help. I'm groggy and my brain isn't working. A friend has just told me "the death count is 37K, revised down from 64K". I cannot make sense of the tables.

Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19):

I don't think that is correct. There are three columns there that contain deaths including CV19. The 37k are just deaths from CV19. There are two more columns that also include deaths from other causes and CV19 if you go across to the right hand columns.

From the article, it seems that churches aren't singled out for this practice, but that all groups that meet for more than 10 minutes have to keep a record of who was there.

"Most non-essential business operations that are open to the public (such as non-essential retail stores and personal care services) can resume in-person operations provided business operators follow the “10/10/10 rule.” The 10/10/10 rule specifies that these businesses must limit the number of individuals on-site (inclusive of employees and customers) to no more than 10 percent of building occupancy or 10 people (whichever is larger), and record the names, contact information, and approximate entry/exit time of all customers who are on premises for more than 10 minutes.
In-person religious gatherings (including weddings and funerals) may resume, subject to the 10/10/10 rule (if held inside) or limited to 50 people outside, provided social distancing precautions are followed and event organizers maintain records of all attendees."
Can congregations have outdoor worshipping without complying? This seems to just be a building regulation. What about in a big marquee also?

This is because it is a reportable disease so even if a death was not from CV19, it still counts if the deceased had it when they died. So death from CV19 and deaths with CV19 are different but the daily CV19 deaths are all who died and had it. It may be the only cause or a contributory cause of death is how I am interpreting it. We need to know that total figure which is what is being provided AFAIK.

I am sure there may be some anomalies though, but cannot believe the figures would be overstated by nearly 30k.

Yes, you are correct, churches are not singled out. That does not change that they are required to maintain lists of attendees (even at t 10 percent capacity- a reasonable restriction).

There are somethings that one just does not do in the United States. Making houses of worship provide lists of attendees for the state is one of them. It does not matter if there is a covid pandemic or not. ..

Perhaps there is still a way for churches to be proactive in doing their part to stop the spread of Covid. Is there something that they can do to regain a more positive public image plus have a practical solution to the urgent needs of the current health care crisis?

Could they request permission to photograph each gathering, date it and store the photograph with their legal council? Then, if there is a question about transmission within the church, the church can quickly provide assistance, while maintaining the privacy of their members.

More than 40 people were reportedly killed after rioting broke out at a prison in Venezuela.

Inmates at Los Llanos jail, near western Guanare city, were angry at a lack of food and water, according to the Venezuelan Prison Observatory.

Venezuela prison riot leaves more than 40 dead

This headline caught my eye. According to the article, prisoners have gotten food from visitors in the past. With the CV shutdown, no visitors = not enough food. Jmo
Oh no. There are more instances of prison problems in other South American countries too on that same page.

Well, this sure makes my day...
According to the Penn Wharton Budget Model (PWBM), reopening states will result in an additional 233,000 deaths the total projected to die from the virus — even if states don’t reopen at all and with social distancing rules in place.
Data: Reopenings may add 233K deaths to COVID-19 toll

Last edited:
I don't think that is correct. There are three columns there that contain deaths including CV19. The 37k are just deaths from CV19. There are two more columns that also include deaths from other causes and CV19 if you go across to the right hand columns.
It says right there the death count maybe delayed. Those numbers are apparently several weeks behind, which is why they are lower. Not because anything has been downgraded.

I'm in a similar situation with my mom. She was beginning to show some early dementia and we're in a rapid downstream pattern complete with raging Rapids and a looming waterfall now. I just got home from tearing over there because she was dying, couldn't see and couldn't move. Long story short, the EMTs ascertained she is fine. I'm about to go over the waterfall myself. ;) This is tough on people. Jmo
I am sorry you are going through that. It must be heartbreaking.
Edited for a typo.

I am sorry you are going through that. It must be heartbreaking.
Edited for a typo.

The sad thing is, it isn't just me. Isolating people has done nothing but speed this process up. I'm not sure how reversible this is going to be. I'm not saying isolating the elderly is wrong, just we're coping with a lot of fallout from it. I'm running to her apartment 3 and 4 times a week now to deal with issues, where 2 months ago we were functioning fine with a weekly girl's day and her living independently.

Generally speaking, I'm guessing there are a lot of seniors who will require a move to a safer environment. Jmo

I have no elder relatives left (mainly because I am elder now I guess) but I miss not having some caring responsibilities... however, all your stories are just so painful. Love and worry are just such a painful experience to bear...raging raps and looming waterfall says so much.
Coronavirus, social distancing will change the way we attend games

This is a thought provoking article. NFL season would start right around when the 2nd wave of Coronavirus is predicted in the Fall of 2020. I don't think folks are going to want to flock to stadiums.
I heard a sports guy talking on all the issues, problems with starting..not starting sports clubs activities.. So many jobs, so many hardships, so much joy lost........ it is really terrible... I would not complain to see teams get special testing and treatment to play... i just wouldn't.

https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2020/05/adams-square-baptist-church-in-worcester-having-in-person-service-again-despite-gov-charlie-bakers-coronavirus-closure-order.html
Adams Square Baptist Church posted on Facebook Sunday that morning worship is planned for 11 a.m. and doors will open at 10:15 a.m.
The message states that anyone with a cough or cold should stay home even if the person thinks it is allergies.
The pastor told Boston25Newsthat the church paid $2,000 for a deep cleaning on Friday.
*snip*
The church held a service on April 26, drawing more than 50 people. Worcester city officials criticized the church and warned the pastor that future services violating state orders could result in fines.

https://www.telegram.com/news/20200503/worcester-public-market-waives-rent-with-eye-on-june-2-return
“There is a lot of uncertainty,” Fletcher said, “but we’re eager to open. We’re as eager as everybody else in society is to get on with things.”Fletcher is waiving vendors’ rent during the closure.“It never even occurred to me to charge rents during this period,” he said.

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/04/during-coronavirus-pandemic-mass-woman-was-told-she-needed-to-pay-550-to-have-electricity-turned-on-but-a-waiver-was-available-the-whole-time.html
Flores said her partner had just been laid off because of COVID-19, leaving finances a little tight. Amid the coronavirus crisis, more than 650,000 new unemployment claims have bee filed in Massachusetts since mid-March, representing about 18% of the total state workforce eligible for the benefits, a number higher than the national average.
Flores inquired about a waiver or payment plan and was told no such options existed.

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/04/for-boston-and-worcester-ems-companies-during-coronavirus-pandemic-telehealth-has-helped-to-keep-emergency-rooms-from-overflowing.html
Technology has proved to be a valuable tool amid the pandemic. Telehealth techniques are now being utilized by dispatchers, paramedics and EMTs, helping to connect patients with the best resources for their condition and helping to keep emergency rooms from being overwhelmed.

Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member