Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the entire of Australia is doing contact tracing through an app our government has released, something like 5 million people have signed up so far

i dont have any figures for my state alone as its app store based, and the government hasn't turned the app on yet they are just wanted people to install and register for this friday when it gets turned on, they need a critical mass number in order for restrictions to be relaxed so contact tracing can happen on the fly

Impressive. The opt-in app has been released in some provinces in Canada. I haven't heard anything about numbers that have opted in. I have, and friends have. I doubt there is as much fear about "big brother is watching" in Canada as occurs in the USA.

It seems we are on the 'down' but as you say this happens every week - Sunday and Monday figures plummet only to catch up again on Tuesday. An encouraging number for tomorrow would be around the 600-700 mark, which would show a gradual cumulative decline consistent with previous weeks.

(can't quite believe 600-700 deaths per day is even an acceptable number, but y'all know what I mean)
That wasn't me saying all that but the health correspondent. I should have put quotes on it LOL.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM

Exclusive: Internal Chinese report warns Beijing faces Tiananmen-like global backlash over virus

BEIJING (Reuters) - An internal Chinese report warns that Beijing faces a rising wave of hostility in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak that could tip relations with the United States into confrontation, people familiar with the paper told Reuters.

The report, presented early last month by the Ministry of State Security to top Beijing leaders including President Xi Jinping, concluded that global anti-China sentiment is at its highest since the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown, the sources said.

As a result, Beijing faces a wave of anti-China sentiment led by the United States in the aftermath of the pandemic and needs to be prepared in a worst-case scenario for armed confrontation between the two global powers, according to people familiar with the report’s content, who declined to be identified given the sensitivity of the matter.

Gilead CEO says remdesivir will be available to treat coronavirus patients as early as this week | Daily Mail Online

May 4, 2020

The CEO of Gilead Sciences, the company that makes the promising drug remdesivir, says it will be available to treat COVID-19 patients as early as this week after receiving approval from the FDA.

The drug showed promising results in a study of more than 1,000 people around the world and has been touted as one of the first steps in reopening the economy.

[..]

In an interview with Face The Nation on CBS on Sunday, Gilead CEO Dan O'Day said the company had donated its entire supply of the drug to the government to roll out to hospitals across the US and that it will also send some overseas.

The team analysed blood and nasal swabs from a random sample of 919 people living in a town in the municipality of Heinsberg on the Dutch border, which had among the highest death tolls in Germany.

To arrive at their estimate, the researchers put the town’s number of known deaths from COVID-19 relative to the larger estimate of local people with a prior infection - as indicated by antibody blood test readings - and applied the rate of 0.37% to country-wide deaths.

German study suggests infections are 10 times the number of confirmed cases

Gilead CEO says remdesivir will be available to treat coronavirus patients as early as this week | Daily Mail Online

May 4, 2020

The CEO of Gilead Sciences, the company that makes the promising drug remdesivir, says it will be available to treat COVID-19 patients as early as this week after receiving approval from the FDA.

The drug showed promising results in a study of more than 1,000 people around the world and has been touted as one of the first steps in reopening the economy.

[..]

In an interview with Face The Nation on CBS on Sunday, Gilead CEO Dan O'Day said the company had donated its entire supply of the drug to the government to roll out to hospitals across the US and that it will also send some overseas.
Every time I read/hear about Remdisivir maker, Gilead, I think of the Handmaid's Tale and get even more depressed.

Update on Nick Cordero

Broadway star Nick Cordero is "doing okay" after undergoing a tracheostomy procedure amid his battle with COVID-19, according to his wife, fitness trainer Amanda Kloots.

"He is doing okay. His vent[ilator] settings are down, which is good," Kloots said on Instagram over the weekend. "That’s a really great sign that his breathing is going well ... I think the more days that he has of this, might help his brain to wake up.”

The former star of Broadway hits including "The Waitress" and "Bullets Over Broadway" has been sedated and in the ICU since April 1. Cordero had his right leg amputated in late April after blood thinners used to help with clotting in Cordero's leg caused blood pressure issues and internal bleeding, according to Kloots.

Cordero's lungs have been so damaged by COVID-19 that they look as if the 41-year-old actor has smoked cigarettes for 50 years, Kloots told her Instagram followers last week.

"Due to COVID, Nick’s lungs are severely damaged, to look almost like he’s been a smoker for 50 years. They’re that damaged," she said. "There are holes in his lungs where obviously you don’t want holes to be."

"This was found because his oxygen count went down and they went deep down into his lungs," Kloots added.

video
Broadway star Nick Cordero 'doing okay' after tracheostomy amid battle with COVID-19

As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from the coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Trump Administration Models Predict Near Doubling of Daily Death Toll by June
Not true.

Internal FEMA document projects spike in daily coronavirus death toll, but data questioned

In a statement, White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere stressed that the document is not from the White House, and that it hasn't been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force.

“This is not a White House document nor has it been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force or gone through interagency vetting,” Deere said in a statement. “This data is not reflective of any of the modeling done by the task force or data that the task force has analyzed.”

snip

While such projections are sure to raise concerns about plans – at the national and state level – to begin reopening parts of the economy, sources said the modeling behind these projections does not take into account mitigation guidelines during that phased reopening. Further, they noted the data in the report is out of line with other projections.

Have we, as a country, become immune to feelings? 3000 per day. Said it loud and clear - 3000 per day. Do people care?
I couldn't wrap my head around it....thought maybe the NYTimes got it wrong.....but unfortunately, they have it right.
Here is the CDC report that reports it......

Click on Download button when it opens....

Sync | Secure cloud storage that protects your privacy

Impressive. The opt-in app has been released in some provinces in Canada. I haven't heard anything about numbers that have opted in. I have, and friends have. I doubt there is as much fear about "big brother is watching" in Canada as occurs in the USA.

what's the app called?

So here it is in this hell hole of a holler 30 minutes from the Gulf: I went to 7 places yesterday for an essentials run. Feed & seed store—4 people no masks, no social distancing. One hardware store—numerous people, only 3 (self included) wearing masks, & at checkout someone comes within 3’ of me before I’m done. I gave him the angry mom eye & held up my hand. He looked at me like I was nuts. The sole nursery in town—everyone working had masks, it was call in & pick up but I used a piece of paper to get what I wanted, 1/2 of which was gone. Used mask & gloves. What’s with the run on basil plants? Are they the new TP? The line at the bank was so long by the time I got to the teller I had ordered 10 different bizarre hand sanitizers on my smart phone, & 2 face masks, LSU & Saints. I’m in the most insane buying mode.
The masks are for my son in VA who works for a defense contractor & is furloughed due to a pre-existing heart issue. Well Mommy found out the real issue when he called last night: major arrhythmia for months & some cardio something treatment. And my brothers have know for over 4 months. So after disowning my brothers & crying over the phone with said son, I drank an entire bottle of an inferior white wine. I’m depressed, son seriously ill but going back to work in 2 weeks, garden 2 months late, house a mess. OK sorry for the rant. I’m miserable but at least I have a massive veg garden & fruit trees I can sit in on 8 acres. But it gives me no joy. Not even the coastal cardinals, pipits, swamp canary & white wing doves singing their hearts out. Think I’m losing it. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Oh T, the no joy syndrome ain't easy.
Wishing to hear that you've clicked back into a better mode.

Not true.

Internal FEMA document projects spike in daily coronavirus death toll, but data questioned

In a statement, White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere stressed that the document is not from the White House, and that it hasn't been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force.

“This is not a White House document nor has it been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force or gone through interagency vetting,” Deere said in a statement. “This data is not reflective of any of the modeling done by the task force or data that the task force has analyzed.”

snip

While such projections are sure to raise concerns about plans – at the national and state level – to begin reopening parts of the economy, sources said the modeling behind these projections does not take into account mitigation guidelines during that phased reopening. Further, they noted the data in the report is out of line with other projections.

Here is a link to the report....click on download....I tried to put the file itself here but it's too big.

Sync | Secure cloud storage that protects your privacy

Attachments

• ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_04_15_54_37_508.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_04_15_54_37_508.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online