Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Consumer advocates are suing Education Secretary Betsy DeVos for her department’s failure to stop garnishing student loan borrowers’ wages, despite declaring that it would suspend wage garnishment on March 25....Consumer advocates argued that the garnishment is in “clear violation of federal law” since the CARES Act prohibits such actions through September 30.

[statement in response from the Department of Education:] "...Payments we receive via garnished wages will be immediately processed for refund, and the employer will be contacted again to ensure the guidance to stop garnishing wages is understood. The Department relies on employers to stop garnishing wages, but is taking every measure to contact employers and refund garnished wages to borrowers until Sept. 30, 2020.'"

More at the link: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos sued over wage garnishment amid coronavirus pandemic

That was me asking about John Deere! :) Thanks for posting an update - off to read it now.

jmo

Covid-19 Pandemic Likely to Last Two Years, Report Says

“The coronavirus pandemic is likely to last as long as two years and won’t be controlled until about two-thirds of the world’s population is immune, a group of experts said in a report.”

—-

More Than 1 Million People Have Recovered From COVID-19 Worldwide

“Although people who recover from a viral infection often build up an immunity to later contracting the same disease, it remains unclear whether this is the case for COVID-19. The World Health Organization said last week that one-time infection of the coronavirus has not yet been proven to result in immunity.”

[...]

“The U.S. hit a milestone in testing this week, surpassing 6 million tests administered.”

—-

Covid-19's future: small outbreaks, monster wave, or ongoing crisis - STAT

““October 2020,” said emerging diseases expert Amesh Adalja of the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security, “won’t look nothing like October 2019.”

And neither will October 2021, according to an analysis released on Thursday by epidemiologist Michael Osterholm of the University of Minnesota and his colleagues. They envision three possible futures, depicted as seascapes, their waves of different heights and widths approaching the unseen and unsuspecting beachcombers on a placid shore.”

[...]

““This pandemic is not going to settle down until there is sufficient population immunity,” slightly above 50%, said epidemiologist Gabriel Leung of the University of Hong Kong.

Since the world “is far from that level of immunity,” said Osterholm (he estimates that no more than 5% of the world population is immune to the new coronavirus as a result of surviving their infection), “this virus is going to keep finding people. It’s going to keep spreading through the population.” And that, he said, “means we’re in for a long haul.””

That was me asking about John Deere! :) Thanks for posting an update - off to read it now.

jmo
Regarding John Deere in Dubuque, IA, they are doing layoffs and plant closures:

"The temporary suspension is due to a lack of demand in the market during the COVID-19 pandemic."

159 layoffs coming to John Deere Dubuque Works

I honestly think people need to brace for a slow recovery. Pe0ple and businesses WANT to get the economy going again, but I think it's wise to expect it to take while. Things are s.l.o.w. (and better to expect it to be slow and then surprised by a faster recovery than the other way around, imo).

jmo

Random musing.

I’m just imagining my favorite shows on Food Network in light of our new future.

Beat Bobby Flay
Diners, DriveIns and Dives
Chopped

Everyone socially distanced.

With masks.

Weird.

It’s all so weird.

Our lives have totally changed in so many ways it’s just mind blowing.

I feel like a dinosaur on the brink of extinction.

—-

ETA: Chopped could do a “pandemic ingredients” basket:

Can of beans
Dried milk
Vodka (sanitizer)
Tofu (because there’s no meat)

Last edited:
Please tell me how anyone knows these are good people. Was a background check done?

In a tweet on Friday morning, President Donald Trump described protesters in Michigan as "very good people" and suggested that the governor should strike a deal with them.

On Thursday, hundreds of protesters — many of them carrying guns — descended on the Michigan Capitol to oppose Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's extension of the state's stay-at-home order by another two weeks, to May 15.
Trump calls protesters who carried guns into the Michigan Capitol 'very good people' and says the governor should 'make a deal' with them

Regarding John Deere in Dubuque, IA, they are doing layoffs and plant closures:

"The temporary suspension is due to a lack of demand in the market during the COVID-19 pandemic."

159 layoffs coming to John Deere Dubuque Works

I honestly think people need to brace for a slow recovery. Pe0ple and businesses WANT to get the economy going again, but I think it's wise to expect it to take while. Things are s.l.o.w. (and better to expect it to be slow and then surprised by a faster recovery than the other way around, imo).

jmo

Imo resurgence is going to knock some businesses out. Their staff gets infected...

It’s like boxing. They might be able to get up after this first punch and reopen, but the second (or third, fourth..) punches might prove be too much over the period of time.

People are going to fight hard to keep their businesses alive. There may be more than just one battle to fight. In fact, this may be a series of battles imo.

Some will just finally drown after fighting and fighting.

Some will succeed.

Just rambling here but it’s going to take several battles to win this war.

I anticipate less protesting after we see the results of resurgence and more possible waves, moo.

I see huge recession and financial depression ahead JMO.

Last edited:
Why should the governor strike a deal with the protestors? Trump suggested that the governor should strike a deal with them.

Overall, just six percent of Michiganders surveyed believe the state should re-open immediately, while 24% said it should re-open after four to six weeks, 16% said it should re-open after six to eight weeks, and 23% said Michigan should re-open after eight weeks.

Trump calls protesters who carried guns into the Michigan Capitol 'very good people' and says the governor should 'make a deal' with them

Random musing.

I’m just imagining my favorite shows on Food Network in light of our new future.

Best Bobby Flay
Diners, DriveIns and Dives
Chopped

Everyone socially distanced.

With masks.

Weird.

It’s all so weird.

Our lives have totally changed in so many ways it’s just mind blowing.

I feel like a dinosaur on the brink of extinction.
Ha! Can you see Guy Fieri slightly lifting up some wild looking mask as he tries to put a fork full of something under his mask...then it drops all over his shirt?? And the chef throws him a napkin as he has to keep 6’ away!

Love DriveIns Diners and Dives!!

These 4 factors fueled the US coronavirus outbreak, CDC says:

The report highlighted four main factors that accelerated transmission in March:

- Continued importation of the virus by travelers infected elsewhere, such as on cruise ships;
- Attendance at professional and social events, which amplified the spread;
- Introduction of the virus into facilities prone to amplification, including nursing homes and high-density urban areas; and,
- Problems detecting virus, including limited testing, the virus’ emergence during flu season, and “cryptic transmission” from people who were asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic.

CDC’s principal deputy director, Dr. Anne Schuchat, who penned the report, noted that in February “139,305 travelers arrived from Italy and 1.74 million from all Schengen countries.” She added that “the outbreak was spreading widely and rapidly” in those regions.

US coronavirus update: Some states have partially reopened

Ha! Can you see Guy Fieri slightly lifting up some wild looking mask as he tries to put a fork full of something under his mask...then it drops all over his shirt?? And the chef throws him a napkin as he has to keep 6’ away!

Love DriveIns Diners and Dives!!

See my eta above lol:

Chopped could do a “pandemic ingredients” basket:

Can of beans
Dried milk
Vodka (sanitizer)
Tofu (because there is no meat)

More than 4,900 workers in meat and poultry processing facilities have contracted Covid-19 and at least 20 have died, according to a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report released Friday.

At least 115 facilities in 19 states have reported cases.

US coronavirus update: Some states have partially reopened

Outbreaks were particularly severe in two states: Iowa and South Dakota.

The CDC report comes days after President Trump signed an executive order to compel meat processing plants to remain open amid the pandemic.

@IceIce9 I'm depending on you for news today! :) Work calls.
Stage 2 - May 4
May 11: Lake and Marion counties — May 18: Cass County
(Local governments can impose guidelines that are more strict than the state recommendations)
  • People who are 65 and older along with those having high-risk health conditions should stay home.
  • Everyone is encouraged to wear face masks in public.
  • Social gatherings can be up to 25 people as long as there is social distancing.
  • Essential travel restrictions will be lifted.
  • Remote work encouraged to continue wherever possible.
  • Manufacturers, industrial operations and other infrastructure that has not been open to date - can reopen.
  • Half of BMV branches will reopen Monday with more in the coming weeks - appointment only.
  • Public libraries can reopen.
  • Retail and commercial businesses will be allowed to operate at 50 percent capacity.
  • Shopping malls may open at 50 percent capacity with indoor common areas at 25 percent capacity.
  • After a county has been in Stage 2 for one week, personal services like hair salons can reopen by appointment only and with social distancing.
  • After a county has been in Stage 2 for one week, restaurants can reopen at 50 percent capacity. People will need to sit at small tables and not at the bar.

To say that it's ok if people over 40 or who live in crowded areas should be allowed to die so that people can have "leisure time on the beach" is one of the most cold-blooded and horrifying things I've ever heard.

That is not what I said at all. Its the reality of what is happening. People are on the beaches now in Florida and some other places while the people in care homes all over the country are dying. They have not been protected by the stay at home at all.

In fact, if you look at the post above some areas are recognising this by now making the stay at home for over 65 and for those with underlying health conditions only.

Last edited:
Governor Eric Holcomb announced his plan on Friday to reopen Indiana.

The plan includes 5 stages and Indiana is already in stage 1 which allowed elective surgeries, essential business and critical infrastructure.
Governor's plan to reopen Indiana: what you can and can't do with each stage

Thank you!

Personal photos attached. No links. :)

Worlds worst flyover photo. I took a break, got in my car, my sprite exploded and boom. Cargo plane flyover. You have to look for the plane's lol.

Also, dare to care foodbank fundraiser tees. I am so getting one. Lots of Kroger employees wearing them.

Attachments

• 20200501_145521.jpg
    20200501_145521.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200501_151709.jpg
    20200501_151709.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online