Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it. Everyone who has had children knows that the worst teachers are the parents. Children will burble into tears with a parent but stand up straight and listen when a teacher delivers the same message.

What I've heard is transitioning to staggered school to reduce number of students per classroom to 50%. Half the class attends school in the morning, half attends in the afternoon. It's a good compromise, but students have to be careful outside of class too. Will they?
So does one teacher do a full day, with two classes?

California businesses got very bad news today from our governor Gavin Newsome.
For our business, we're looking at months plus, before being allowed to open again, even then, with between 25 to 50% occupancy, which will Not pay the bills.
We give this Governor one more week to figure out how to let us survive, using strict sanitation methods, or, we'll open anyway.
Nor, will we be the only ones.

Gavin is a charming fella, but he seems pretty misguided. The new juiced IHME models predict that the state could lose up to 0.007% of the population by August unless you and thousands of others lose your businesses, with all the unemployment and repercussions that come with it. Wishing you well.

My daughter-in-law teaches English at a community college. The past 2 years she taught at the campus but part of her lessons were online. So the students came to class 2x a week but did online tests and online lectures also.

So this past semester she has done her classes fully online. And she loves doing it that way. She has her 4 yr old home with her so it is a little more complicated at times but she still prefers it to going to the campus now.

She does miss engaging with the entire class, which is important when discussing the books they are reading, but she says that students that want to engage and discuss can still do so.

This past semester, at the nearby university, classes stopped on March 12, online by March 17, empty lockers a week later. Students were allowed to take a pass/fail this semester, but going forward they will be awarded a grade regardless of online or in-class. What happened with pass/fail was team work suffered because some people were taking a pass and didn't care about project quality.

Blended classes is the first step to returning to normal in post-secondary environments.

So does one teacher do a full day, with two classes?

One teacher does a normal day with half the class attending the morning, the other half attending in the afternoon. Class content will have to be condensed to complete the curriculum on time. Options would be stripped out, just core courses - like STEM.

A friend’s fiancé was hospitalized and died. My best friend’s niece has not been hospitalized yet but has been seriously ill, and she’s young. My sister’s co-worker was hospitalized and died, freaking the entire factory out.
I’m sorry to hear that @JaneEyre :(
Sounds like a scary situation at your sisters workplace.

YUMA, AZ (3TV/CBS5) -- A child has died in Yuma County from COVID-19, becoming Arizona's first pediatric death from the virus, according to Yuma County health officials. The child's age was not given. Heath officials say the child also had multiple serious underlying medical conditions.

"It is our deepest regret to share the news of the first COVID-19-related pediatric death in Arizona,” said Diana Gomez, director of the Yuma County Public Health District. "News like this not only resonates within the health community, but with every resident. We are heartbroken and extend our deepest sympathy to the child’s friends and family. To protect the family’s privacy during this incredibly difficult time, no further information regarding the child will be released.”

Child in Yuma County becomes Arizona's first pediatric death due to COVID-19

YUMA, AZ (3TV/CBS5) -- A child has died in Yuma County from COVID-19, becoming Arizona's first pediatric death from the virus, according to Yuma County health officials. The child's age was not given. Heath officials say the child also had multiple serious underlying medical conditions.

"It is our deepest regret to share the news of the first COVID-19-related pediatric death in Arizona,” said Diana Gomez, director of the Yuma County Public Health District. "News like this not only resonates within the health community, but with every resident. We are heartbroken and extend our deepest sympathy to the child’s friends and family. To protect the family’s privacy during this incredibly difficult time, no further information regarding the child will be released.”

RIP. Condolences to the family.

Article in The Times, suggesting England will continue lockdown until next month.
With the number of deaths and the number of new cases we have here, I am not surprised.

Boris Johnson to keep Britain in lockdown until June — The Times and The Sunday Times

A very good idea. All these countries with their early bravado about having conquered the virus first and resumed commerce first. It's some sort of strange race between some world leaders. Very likely, it will backfire with wave 2.

Good to know. I don't know if I have ever seen any LA-grown rice in my stores. The rice I stocked up on was mostly Jasmine rice from Thailand. I prefer a brand of Basmati from India but there wasn't any of that left anywhere by the time I noticed rice was selling out. I also got a small amount of Arborio rice from Texas and Japanese Sushi rice from California. Maybe the LA rice was all hoarded before I got to the rice shelves? I just checked online and someone is price gouging big time on Cajun Country brand rice-- it's listed on ebay for $24.99 for a 5lb bag or $19.99 for 3 one pound bags. :eek:
I eat a lot of Basmati rice. I have always been able to buy Basmati rice at the grocery store I shop at or at Walmart. But when I tried to buy some a couple of weeks ago, found neither place had any. I tried Walmart online but most of the Basmati rice says 'out of stock' or 'in store purchase only'---the problem is, they didn't have any in the store or any other kind of rice, for that matter.
I stopped at a small Asian grocery store and they were selling it for $10.99 for a 10 lbs. bag. When I told the store owner about the difficulty I was having finding any, he was surprised and said he always has plenty in stock and wasn't having any difficulty getting any in.

California businesses got very bad news today from our governor Gavin Newsome.
For our business, we're looking at months plus, before being allowed to open again, even then, with between 25 to 50% occupancy, which will Not pay the bills.
We give this Governor one more week to figure out how to let us survive, using strict sanitation methods, or, we'll open anyway.
Nor, will we be the only ones.
Sadly, being able to open up will only be half the battle. The other half will be getting people to feel comfortable eating out again.
As I mentioned up thread, the restaurants here opened up last Friday but business was dismal. They didn't have to worry about the 50% capacity limit because only a handful of people are eating out again.

One teacher does a normal day with half the class attending the morning, the other half attending in the afternoon. Class content will have to be condensed to complete the curriculum on time. Options would be stripped out, just core courses - like STEM.
There would have to be childcare options for parents at the campus---hard to work when your kids go half day

And most grandparents would have to be isolated from a child going to school everyday

Wish me luck tomorrow please, another Wal Mart trip during my lunch break and my anxiety is very high at the moment. TIA. I just wish I could see an end to this nightmare. I know we all want an end to it.
Be mindful and you will be OK on your shopping trip. Think things through. Before I leave my car I take 'inventory' ---mask, gloves, glasses with protective outer glasses on top, hat....ok, grocery list so I can move through store quickly....
glasses2.gif

If you protect yourself and stay aware of your surroundings, you should be just fine.
hero.gif

GettyImages-841098690.jpg

“It will be at least two to three weeks before we see an increase in the number of infections because it takes time for individuals to infect others and for them to display symptoms,” said data scientist Youyang Gu, whose coronavirus projection model is cited by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Lifting measures prematurely could lead to a rebound of the virus, putting the US in the “same boat that we were a few weeks ago,” when the number of infections skyrocketed daily, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, a member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force.
In Michigan, two incidents involving masks made headlines nationwide. In one, a man shot dead a Family Dollar security guard who told a woman to wear a face mask, officials said. Police also arrested a man who allegedly wiped his nose on the sleeve of a Dollar Tree employee who asked him to wear a mask to shop.

Hundred of miles away, the city of Stillwater, Oklahoma, revoked an order requiring residents to wear face coverings inside buildings after workers received threats.

Steven Taylor, a clinical psychologist and author of “The Psychology of Pandemics,” said people tend to rebel when they’re told what to do, even when the measures are to protect them.

“People value their freedoms,” he said. “They may become distressed or indignant or morally outraged when people are trying to encroach on their freedoms.”
Thousands of inmates have tested positive for coronavirus in federal and state prisons — many of whom showed no symptoms. In Ohio, more than 20% of the people infected with coronavirus are prisoners. And in Colorado, the state’s largest outbreak is in a correctional facility.

Things are just as bad in nursing homes, where the population is especially vulnerable. In Louisiana, more than 30% of the state’s coronavirus deaths are from nursing homes and longterm care facilities. In New Hampshire, they make up nearly 80% of the cases while in Arkansas, almost half of all of the state’s cases are in prisons and nursing homes.

“Nursing homes have been ground zero for Covid-19,” said Seema Verma, the administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
The pandemic is leaving few people untouched, but the toll is far more deadly for African Americans, who are dying at higher numbers.

African Americans make up 13.4% of the American population. But counties with higher black populations account for more than half of all coronavirus cases and almost 60% of deaths, according to a new study.

“Structural factors including health care access, density of households, unemployment, pervasive discrimination and others drive these disparities,” researchers said. “Social conditions, structural racism, and other factors elevate risk for Covid-19 diagnoses and deaths in black communities.”
Backlash and frustrations grow as US coronavirus reopenings bring changes - KVIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocky.marie